Can Anything Stop Cloud Services

Hay tech-

Infrastructure guy here, general conventional wisdom in this industry is that everything is going to be absorbed web/cloud so you better get used to it and learn AWS / Azure / Google Shekelnet if you don't want to be left sucking dicks in the Olive Garden bathroom to make rent.

I'm not happy about this, but I gotta live in reality. Are there any major thinkers (besides Stallman) who contradict this?

POO IN THE LOO

Right, the incompetence of bindi admins could very easily detonate all of this, but users are lazy and a lot of small business owners have huge normalcy bias. I think it would basically take a 9/11 style hack that actually sheds blood for your average small-medium business owner to rethink his IT strategy.

Why should it not be absorbed by the cloud services? Must be doing something right if everything is moving towards it.

*Concentrates all data into the hands of a few non-accountable people and makes everybody's business a mere terminal for the Internet
*Creates another mechanism for cities to force their will on rural/suburban areas.

Like I said, I think I just need to accept this is the way that's going but I think a catastrophe is inevitable, the question is it 10 years from now, or 40?

I'm listening to this bullshit since 2005.
I think if it was to really happen then it would have already happened by now.

Well, The Fappening really put (((iCloud))) in a very bad-light.
With more events like that, and the mass media talking about them, it could really change the direction of the future.

It didn't cause anywhere near the backlash I thought it would. People seem to use cloud services more than ever.

AWS going down this year put a dent in it. Have a couple of more incidents like this and companies will go back to local storage or their own "cloud" solution once they see that outage costs are more than their own maintenance costs.

GNU/TERRORISM WHEN?

Bomb data centers

Look at history, the industry oscillates back and forth. Mainframes used to be popular, now who the fuck has one. Costs are also far too great to justify moving a lot of systems to it.

flood

The reality is that most non-techs have no idea just how insecure it is. Not just insecure, but unsecurable. It *WILL* take a major, major hack (as in one that either takes down multiple major and significant entities or compromises the entire security structure of everything cloud related) for people to finally get the picture. Right now they think the odds are small that they will be hacked because they are one fish in the school. They don't understand that one hack can swallow the entire school if it is done the right way. There really isn't anything that can stop that from happening, it is just a matter of the right person with the right knowledge getting the right motivation.

It will happen though, and when it does your job is going to go bye-bye anyway if you are with a company whose very viability is being trusted to the cloud. So either way you are going to end up at Olive Garden, OP. The question is, do you want to end up there with your integrity and self-respect intact? Besides, if you go there now by the time the cloud does get hosed, you will be a manager and can hire and/or fire all your new incoming former co-workers...maybe even your old boss.

is it not happening already? AWS etc. are already huge, many many companies use them.

It doesn't "oscillate back and forth", things just change. Computers used to be slow and expensive so it made sense to share one big computer. Nowadays you have redundancy on a software level and virtualization to abstract the hardware away so you can make fault-tolerant clusters. I suspect software like Cassandra on a big cluster has blown away their mainframe equivalent in performance for a few years, while maintaining high fault tolerance.

it already happened
cloud services are the shit right now

THE COLLECTIVE WILL SUFFER FOR ENDCHAN'S SINS

THE COLLECTIVE WILL SUFFER FOR ENDCHAN'S SINS

gfo

actually IPv6 kinda does. of course they'll fuck it up but in theory you'll have an IP and can reach it from pretty much anywhere without the need of DynDNS or even a Domain itself. you can use your own server, at home, without the need for 3rd party services.

Stallman doesn't contradict it, he opposes it. If he didn't think it was true he wouldn't be complaining about it.