Why the fuck is "sage" still a thing?

Why the fuck is "sage" still a thing?
1.) Sage does not downvote a thread, it just doesn't bump it, you can negate all sages in a thread with a single post

2.) This lead ultimately to an entire decade and a half of retards treating sage like a downvote, posting one-liner grievances to threads that triggered them without contributing to the board just because they felt like sage did anything

The only reason why we have the "sage" function still is because Taichirou Kosugi (the relatively-unknown guy who founded world2ch for newfags and when I mean newfags I mean people who didn't use the internet in 2003 so basically everyone here) was a lazy motherfucker and just poorely reimplemented it in the world2ch imageboard section, then moot was an even lazier motherfucker and copied him and the rest is history.

delete sage!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9AaO5s_GOCI
youtube.com/watch?v=tgMbZpOUg48
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

remember kids, "sage" goes in all fields

sage negated
see why its retarded?

"it doesnt bump it" there you go newfag you solved the riddle.

sage negated
see why its retarded?

On text-style boards like vanilla 2ch it worked better because sage was used as a tool to keep threads off of page 1, which is more desirable in a text-focused board because it keeps the thread from getting too crowded. On an imageboard it makes less sense since on an imageboard everyone is using eye-catching images and fighting for page 1 space

Sage let's you make an off-topic post without bumping a thread. I guess it doesn't really matter since no one ever posts on topic anyways though.

That's another reason why sage is fucking useless. On imageboards, traditionally, only the OP had to follow the board rules, everyone else is exempt from having to stay on the boards topic as long as they're not spamming or violating global rules. This is how imageboards have always been

"Sage" is derived from the Japanese word 下げ which means, "to depreciate, to bring down, to lower" and we use it simply to avoid bumping a thread. Why would you want to avoid bumping a thread? Many reasons. Maybe your post is off-topic and you want to react to something someone else has typed, but you don't believe that your comment is pertinent enough to warrant a bump of the thread. Maybe you're shitposting in a thread in order to be a bitch because you don't like the thread's topic. Maybe you're a retarded newfag and you believe that sage has a function outside of this intended purpose.

You can avoid bumping a thread out of politeness. You can avoid bumping a thread because the topic is old as fuck and you want to comment without bringing the thread to the forefront of discussion. You can avoid bumping a thread because you dislike the topic. Sagebombing is also a great way for the motherfucking hivemind to unanimously decide that your topic a shit and get it to autosage, which should be an indication to the board admin that the people don't want this fucking topic on this fucking board, but that's an entirely different story and I don't think sage was ever intended to be used that way.

If you want to go downvote shit, then go back to fucking reddit.

Enough of that shit. Literally nobody uses "sage" for its original intended purpose, just to be shitposters

I disagree, there are people who still use it the way it was intended. It's just that with more and more newfags, you get more and more people who don't understand and who don't care to understand why sage works the way it does. There's nothing wrong with sage that can't also be fixed by not posting in threads that you don't like in the goddamn first place

sage goes in all the fields

lol

You are why sage is useless. If you didn't post it would have an identical effect

eh some traditions are just fun to hang onto.

It's not even pronounced the same as the plant you baka gaijin

Dishonorbu! Shamefur dispray!

SUDOKU!

fight club is serious business

faggot's been on Holla Forums a whole six months, pretends to know japanese, and knows everything

typical kike newfag

>(((they))) are trying to use reverse psychology to make me, the magnificent OP of this thread, look bad

Nice try, gaslighting kike

uses hitler photo "i ain't a kike, you are a kike"

kike

bet you failed your bar mitzvah too

youtube.com/watch?v=9AaO5s_GOCI

stick with suckin' your mom's circumcised dick shlomo

youtube.com/watch?v=tgMbZpOUg48

sage

I use sage when I want to call OP a faggot for making a shitty thread without bumping it

forgot to sage

sage is used to make a post when I feel like replying but don't want to bump the thread because my reply is not worth bumping it. you might not understand it my times on 4/jp/ taught me to use sage that way.

I flatly refuse to actively participate in this thread in any way whatesoever, nor to contribute to its content in any manner. I am not even going to bother to post a reply.