Post your fuckups: ばか Edition

I fucked up something big guys.

First off I decided to modify my laptops bios to triple boot Jewdoze10, OSX, and ElementryOS. I should've stuck with Manjaro but that's for a different post.

Anyways I unlocked the shit out of that bios and exposed all the CPU options. Among those options was an option for DUTY CYCLING % or something like that. Being the retard I am I put in %20 and hit save.

Well fucking Broadwell-U doesn't support duty cycling on the CPU cores and now my fucking POS laptop doesn't POST.

To make matters worse there's no button cell CMOS battery I can pull to reset the defaults. Now I'm looking to spend about $18 on a bios chip from Taiwan that I'm not even %100 sure will work.

This has got to be top 5 stupidest things I've done.

Pics of board. I'm open to advice.

Other urls found in this thread:

biosflash.com.
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Tech questions and support.
Also, not sure about the mb but you could coreboot or libreboot it if it is possible.

You never enable DUTY CYCLING, Pajeet.

You're starting to sound like my brother who pretends to know about tech to sound l33t and everyone but me is too retarded to figure out so I have to listen to my relatives tell me about his favorable opinions on macs, beats by dr dre and how linux is a computer virus.
One time he had someone pick PC parts for him and build a heavily overpriced computer and he didn't know what overclocking was so he set his athlon to 4ghz and came to me for advice when it wouldn't POST.
I told him there was no fix and he sold the entire computer for nothing when it was perfectly fine

It sounds like you bought a terribly cheap laptop to have not only a U SKU but also a generic BIOS that would even allow you to enable features that the CPU explicitly does not support properly
You could maybe force the BIOS storage to reset itself by holding the "Power" button for a longer-than-normal time to discharge the board. How long I can't really tell you. But this is most likely UEFI so it probably stores config data on a flash chip. Which you can probably still clear by shorting some test leads on the motherboard or even hitting a key combo maybe.

JUSTICE HAS BEEN DELIVERED

You know you'll have to flash the tiwanese BIOS chip, right? And resolder it (using a heatgun).

Check biosflash.com.

I've fucked up multiple ARM SBCs by being careless about ESD.

Are you absolutely sure there's no way to reset BIOS?
In the olden days some mobos had capacitors built in and then you had to short two points with a small light bulb to drain the capacitor and reset BIOS. What does google tell you?

lol wut? So basically something for someone too retarded to know what a resistor is?

You wanna talk fuck ups? I was gifted a motherboard, of which I intended to make use of for something years ago, but me being surrounded by a clusterfuck at all times I had no flat surface to put it on to test it. I had a pc case with a plastic window panel that I sat the board on, and I nudged it EVER so slightly and it hit an exposed metal screw that I didn't even see, while it was on, and shorted the SHIT out of everything. The board is FUBAR forever.

You don't even need that, just use a wire

how do i fix this my router now has no space on it after i installed LEDE. all i want is dd wrt to put a vpn on my router :L

at the moment i cant even 192.168.1.1 into the browser because there isnt enough space for luci (a LEDE router html page config thingo). what do? i can still SSH into the router though.

i have 4MB of storage on my router to use sparingly.

Believe it or not, there's an entire forum out there dedicated to people removing restrictions from laptop BIOSes. I had one flashed on my Samsung laptop because that BIOS was more locked down than a Jew's bank account, but the only thing I wanted was to disable Secureboot. I didn't touch anything else.

If your router has 4MB of storage you're fucked, user.
I'm guessing you're running openwrt, if your router doesn't have any port you can use for more storage you should try to get network storage working. For instance I have a phone running android with a usb on the go port and a flash drive on it that I use for some network storage but also as both a swap file and an expansion for the router.

There are none to post.

Also, this. I don't think I ever screwed up something Holla Forums badly. Mostly those little mistakes like trying to overwrite a read only text file.

LOL

I fucked up dragging and dropping..

Back in the day, when windows 95 was new, I was tasked with backing up several years of meeting minutes. I decided to do it with xcopy, neglecting a switch or two (/sev is what i wanted, i remember still).. copying only the root directory, and none of the subdirectories. Deleted the source material before checking.

Days later, buddy calls. "Almost all our shit is gone." Resulted in a day or two of data entry from hardcopy, and egg on my face, but ultimately got me noticed as someone who fixes their problems, whatever it takes, including off-hours data entry of stupid meeting minutes that no one will ever refer to, ever.

Maybe it's got a JTAG or serial on the board? A little complicated but if you really want to.

Even if the BIOS is actually bricked, all you need is a CH314A EEPROM programmer and a 8 pin SOIC clamp instead of wastefully trying to solder SMD chips, risking more damage.

Recovered files from a partition and saved the results onto the same partition. Ended up corrupting most of my Adobe After Effects videos with no survivors backups/project files.

Tried to power an LED by randomly poking around PS/2 mouse internals while it was connected to a computer. Ended up making the magic smoke come out of the motherboard and/or the CPU.

Deleted System32 to get more space for games.

Used a PSU without the casing (to save space in a shoebox computer) and managed to shock a friend with it. Gave him quite the scare, but luckily nothing more.

Growing up with plenty of expendable computers and hardware was a nice learning experience.

Nah I enabled those features myself. Original Bios was jewed beyond reason. Only boot order and date/time. My mistake was thinking the worst that could happen would be an error screen telling me to reset to defaults.

Yeah, I already have the $18 overpriced shit. Didn't realize I could just reprogram it myself.

So are the settings stored on the windbond chip itself or is there another IC I need to fukin replace as well?

I bought a Gigabyte mobo.

Yeah that's a pretty bad mistake, Not once have I had a good experience with gigabyte mobos.

I've been using Gigabyte motherboards since the late 90s and I have never had a problem. What's wrong with them?