Comic Shop

Not a regular here (other than lurking), but I was in a comic store last night (invited to some table top gaming, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire to be specific, was a blast). What struck me though was all the free posters the store had hanging up of current year marvel shit. I didn't say anything, but it really looked like poison for their business.

Literally dozens of these two by three foot posters hanging up around the place, and every single one of them puked over the legacy of their respective comic. Even seen one of the new "Iron Man", Iron Heart. If I wasn't having so much fun playing, those posters would have depressed me.

Do they normally give free posters to shops to promote so many of the same companies comics, or is this because of how poorly these sell? They do sell poorly, right? Makes me feel bad for the shop owner, who was GMing.

I haven't been in a comic shop since I was middle school (to buy yu gi oh cards), so I wouldn't know.

What an excellent post that adds so much to the thread.
Go back to Reddit where everyone needs to post a comment in a thread they read.

As for the posters, we had a couple threads about Marvel's tactics, but both have since fallen off board.

Basically, they're tanking HARD, like hardest the Big Two has ever seen, and they're being beaten by a lot of independents.
Their current strategy is using all their movie revenue to splurge on giving out free shit to stores.
They're handing out hundreds of issues of Civil War to some of the stores, and dozens to others, in an attempt to make their sales look less shit to execs, as those numbers are based on units shipped, not units purchased or units sold in store.

While DC was losing sales and decided to go back to what they know and charging less, in the end raising sales and support, Marvel decided to double-down on their shitty gimmicks and terrible choices, and haemorrhage money.

It's quite funny to watch, but now stores, which are predominantly independent, are being left with hundreds of issues they don't want and can't move. They really hate Marvel now.

Last time I was at a comic book shop was months ago. They were selling Marvel and DC but had a ton of manga and anime stuff. Also, they had transformers. I bought some Marvel which the guy running the shop seemed like he wanted to get rid of as he let me have one of the books for free. Granted it was older stuff but still he let me have them.

Remember when we flock to the comic book story to buy the newest, mint condition books because we thought it will double or triple in price 10 years later? Now it's the exact opposite. At least we can use them as new alternative for toilet paper.

For a company run by a jew, they actually love losing money.

They've caught themselves in a "DCYou" scenario. The big event comic fizzled, so their new relaunch is tanking hard because everyone left. They also can't stop the relaunch since books have been done months in advance. It's really a quagmire.

If Marvel's sales are as bad as DC's was after Convergence, that would be shocking.

Why is Romita's artstyle so terrible? Why does it keep seemingly getting worse?

This is the first time I heard about DC YOU. Is it really so bad it went into obscurity that fast?

So… did civil war end? how did it end?

as badly as it started. We have a thread up for the end, check the catalog.

It was probably the worst Marvel event to date.

Well, checked it, and besides the death of Tony Stark I have no info about what conclusion they reached. What happened to Thanos? and Ulises? and Ms. Musvel? Do anyone care anymore?

to be honest, not really. It's hard to care about a Universe that has become completely broken. There are better Deviant Art comic universes than Marvel's at the moment.

Well, I meant Marvel artists, writers and editors, but I guess they don't care either.

What is the next big event they try to sell as revolucionary?

they might be already setting up another Civil War, though this time it will be even more one sided with the enemy being Hydra Cap for Carol to "put into a coma".

comic shops don't stay open based on comic book sales any more, they haven't for years and the situation just keeps getting worse. whether it's magic the gathering cards or anime statues, if they make enough money to keep the lights on they're not making most of their money on comics.
so, no, OP, it doesn't really matter, but yes, it is disgusting.

My old comic shop struggled in the mid 00s just trying to get by with Magic the Gathering as well before croaked. I heard MTG scene is also starts to dwindle. Sooner or later MTG will be played online only.

I mostly go to my comic shop to buy pen and paper roleplay manuals, I'm pretty much done with the big two and comics in general.

I find a lot of Calendar stores started selling comics or at least the mlp ones.

Precog went back to his home planet and Lesbo Marvel put Tony to sleep until people get bored with Rerererere and Doom Man and proved this was all bullshit, however Dan basically said "you did nothing wrong Carol" except Captain America doesn't agree but he's a Hydra agent so fuck him. Also She-Hulk is pissed but nobody cares.

What a waste of time.

Main capeshit companies have the money to promote their comics, and it would be retarded not to use it to promote their comics.

I can't be fucked checking dates, but Convergence was finished around October 2015, then after that DC YU launched. All it did was introduce a bunch of runs, after everything else was axed. They only got maybe 6 months tops each, then Rebirth happened and they all got cancelled.

It's probably the shortest set of runs DC has ever done, so yeah, it was pretty obscure.
I can't even recall a good run from it. Perhaps Martian Manhunter, because it had lots of biscuit related jokes in it.

I haven't read it, but what happened was:

Bendis really wants to make sure everyone knows how clever he is, and how #He'sStillWithHer

No. Convergence ran during April/May of 2015. DCYou launched right after that in June. It lingered for about 10 months before Rebirth happened.

For a series that crashed and burned right out of the gate, it lasted almost a year. You probably didn't notice it because DC didn't slap it on their covers like Marvel does with "NOW!".

You are shitting me right?! RIGHT?!!

Oh no, I got every issue as they came out.
I just didn't realise Convergence was that long ago. I could of sworn it ended on an October. Or was that Rebirth that started in October?

P R E S I D E N T
R
E
S
I
D
E
N
T

Rebirth started in May of this year.

Hex is slow to take off but eventually it will overtake magic.

Ironically magic and wizards of the coast are in the same spot right now. they are doubling down on the shit the community doesn't like, they have stripped old game mechanics from the game completely and they play games with their numbers to make it seem to hasbro like they are still selling well when the new audience they are chasing doesn't buy cards and the old one that did is now disenfranchised due to the oversimplification of design of the newer sets.

And like marvel both these companies get propped up by their parent company for their IP holdings.

What were your favorite cards? I liked the gigagigo guys and the inpachis.

Time flies.

Maybe its age and getting tired of drawing the same thing over again.

That makes no sense and would give him even more reason to just retire or at least take a break.

People have things to do.

Man times go fast