Writing code is more like writing prose

Do you agree?

sd.jtimothyking.com/2006/12/15/does-bad-writing-reflect-poor-programming-skills/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Perl
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not even close, prose requires elaboration while good programming requires the opposite.

I thought about saging but this is maybe actual discussion so I won't.

is you serious nigga? if that was true perl would be the #1 language of all time

I don't think people would understand what you wrote if all your sentences was a regex.

And if you wrote code as bad as you wrote English, the only thing you'd ever get working would be a HTML file.

programming in haskell is the equivalent of translating finnegan's wake to cantonese

I know how I'd fuck up an HTML file, but what was wrong with my post? s/was/were/ and commas around ", what you wrote,"? I need to learn if I'm going to be a superb poster at Holla Forums like you!

lol this guy gets it

I've worked with a few people with a background in linguistics. They were all claiming that it was better suited for programming than having an engineering background, "because programming is done in a language".

They weren't particularly good programmers at all, but they were exceptionally well at being the biggest talkers during meetings.

How many rockets has prose ever blown up?

No. But programming is definitely more an art than a science.

Programming is useful therefore it's not art.

A chair is also useful and artistic, so is a shirt.

Art is bloat.

Minimalism is an aesthetic choice.

this 'realization' is too babby-tier for me to even make fun of. but 'prose' is not the same thing as an instructional text or concise and clear directions on how to accomplish a task.

Programming activates the language areas of the brain rather than the maths areas. This is a proven fact. It's not surprising many programmers end up publishing books.

No shit, Sherlock.
Try using Brainfuck and tell me if it's like writing prose.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Perl

No because you can 100% bullshit "prose" and everybody will love you and think it's perfect. You can't bullshit code because bullshit code doesn't work and code that doesn't work is worthless.

what is Win10
what is vim

Sure, but that's because it's almost completely unlike science. I don't know why you'd even bring that up.

Programming is a craft, not an art.

how can the vim code be bullshit if it works
C H E C K M A T E

What's wrong with Vim (except the fact that is often used by gayish hipsters)?

Just look at its source code. It's a horrible mess, filled with preprocessor abuse.

Why do so many hipsters use vim?

They can't handle nvi or ed.

It's made to use on Apple computers.

It's comfy on laptops in general.
My x200 runs is like a charm.

Minimalism is a practical choice

Explain why the average math book is decent but almost every programming book is absolute garbage.

There's no big mainstream industry for math books. Programming has been watered-down to suit normies, instead of nerds. It's the same with other computer-related stuff like "hacking".

Yeah but it can also be an artistic one

define decent and absolute garbage

Linguistics student here, just because computers use a language doesn't mean that a Linguistics degree will help with programming. The logic withing natural languages regarding grammar and syntax is more like computer programming than "lol I know lotsa shit about language"

discrete mathematics by knuth
the entire "head first" series

concrete mathematics*

I agree in that I often revisit both well-written prose and well-written code, basking in its elegance, appreciating its aesthetic beauty, and reflecting on its insight.