Cold Fusion Reactor

Some user on halfchan Holla Forums posted schematics for a cold fusion reactor. This might be fake so are there any sciencefags out there that can confirm this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/nYxlpeJEKmw
youtu.be/uK367T7h6ZY
youtu.be/yGhEdcwXxdE
youtube.com/watch?v=YUr7EVc44f8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_PACER
fissilematerials.org/library/ipfm15.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Link if anyone's interested
boards.4chan.org/pol/thread/89019860

sage
Fucking kill yourself

2nd Pic:
You expect me to believe someone invented a cold fusion reactor but doesn't know how to spell "laser"?

Yes, I am a scientist and that looks like a cold fusion reactor

Science user here, I can totally confirm this.
Gentleman, this user has indeed discovered the secret plans to a cold fusion reactor…
Gold star for OP
NOW FUCK OFF BACK TO CUCKCHAN

Oh fuck off

Could be an innocent typo

That's why I'm wondering if anyone here that works with stuff like this can confirm

The inventor wrote jokingly?

I've known plenty of scientists with atrocious spelling. You just don't see it now due to spellcheck

GODDAMNIT U FUCKING FAGGOTS LEARN TO SAGE

test

We'll never be allowed to have cold fusion. It would make oil only useful for its byproducts in plastic manufacturing and the like. Why, America would have all the oil it would need for industrial production as it wouldn't be needed for power. Then who would fight Israel's wars in the Middle East?

Science user Here.

NIGGERS FROM PLANET CUCKCHAN

NEED TO GO THE FUCK BACK TO CUCKCHAN

counter-sage because you're retarded

Reported for obvious spam.

If this turned out to be real and the government attempted to cover this up I'm sure there would be outrage.

How am I spamming? You're such a fucking baby, grow up faggot.

lol probly a trap why dont u try it op

sage

Guys don't fall for it this makes chlorine gas.

epic

The issue is that the energies are just massive. The fusion process requires us to put in HUGE amounts of energies to overcome the electrostatic repulsion of deuterium/ tritium atoms in order to get them "close enough" to fuse. We can do this using separate Fission reactions, ie in H bombs, but we cannot generate these energies otherwise. For example, they built a laser as big as two soccer fields at Lawrence Livermore and it cant generate enough energy to sustain reactions

Cold Fusion will never work unless you can figure out a way to "turn off" the electric charge of a nucleus which is as afar as we know complete nonsense

sage

Physicsfag here. Can't make much sense of the diagrams cause they are so messy but the problem with fusion isn't the actual design of the reactor, its the materials required to make them.

Essentially fusion occurs when two hydrogen nuclei get close enough for the strong force to overcome the electric repulsion. To do this you can either increase the kinetic energy of the atoms (increase temp) or do work against the repulsive forces (increase pressure).

Either way, the problem comes with what to make the containment vessel out of because if its too hot or too compressed it explodes.

The way around this is magnetic confinement which works only when nuclei are moving (i.e in the hot reactor only).

So what it looks like from the diagram is that he is trying to magnetically confine slow moving atoms under high pressure with a high voltage ring. Seems hard to make a magnetic field strong enough.

Time to end this now.

YOU STUPID FAGGOTS, ITS FUCKING WRITTEN ON HOLIDAY INN PAPER
THEY EVEN MISPELLED THE WORD, LASERS

OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT
OP IS A CUCKCHAN FAGGOT

The only thing worse than sliders, shills, and people who post deceptive nonsense (like OP) are faggots like you who just spam a whole bunch of shit in response to it rather than politely saging, reporting, and hiding the thread. KYS.

Anyway, threads like these can still sometimes turn out interesting, if only for the discussions that come out of them related to the original topic.

Why is everything brought here from cuckchan so fucking retarded? Holy Fuck.

Very good point. Theoretically possible though.

true true user

OP the more interesting option is Throium nuclear reactors (using fission). Fusion reactors are actually somewhat unnecessary for our present power consumption.

If interested look at these videos:
youtu.be/nYxlpeJEKmw
youtu.be/uK367T7h6ZY
youtu.be/yGhEdcwXxdE

You're like those cucks who apologizes for being white.

Cool. Thanks for the actual replies instead of sperging out like 99% of the autistic retards that make up this board.

LOL. Science already knows how to build a fusion reactor. It is ridiculously simple as well.

You build a giant water container, and harden it to contain both a hydrogen bomb and the resulting steam. Say a cubic mile. You lower a fusion bomb into it, and set the bomb off. You draw off the steam from the reactor. Top it up with water, and repeat. One reactor makes enough power to supply the US with all its electric needs. Two reactors and we switch to electric cars.

We already have enough fuel for the next 500 years.

There is no energy shortage…

STEM student here. Most of the guys I talk to are fucking brilliant at math, but they can't write well at all. I suspect that a lot of the big guys make honors and PHD students do it for them.

sage

This may be legit strictly from the rapid shilling. I have 0 science knowledge though :/

I remember back in the 80s there was this group that convinced America that room temperature nuclear fusion was possible. The scientific community was floored, but didn't really get on board. The average yutz said "shut up and take my money!" thinking that it would open the era of free energy for all.

Turned out to be a scam and they walked away with millions of dollars.

So … is OP another scam artist banking on nobody remembering the 80s or is he actually so stupid that he thinks it's an original idea?

That's one of the stupidest things I've ever read.

Fake and gay, looks like something a 14 year old Holla Forumstard came up with. Now fuck off back to cuckchan and take your retarded cancer with you.

They even burned the page to make it more authentic and cool come the fuck on, this is something you'd see on a shitty hollywood film.

lmao, please don't talk on matters you know jack shit about.

No, the answer is breeder reactors, we need plutonium

take your meds faggot

I always liked the idea of geothermal power.

LOL, it was all sorted in the 50's.

youtube.com/watch?v=YUr7EVc44f8

Is this a cheeky shitpost to get ahmed to blow up mecca?

The cube is a big generator and the constant swarm of people circling it runs the turbine.

YES! As an nuke e undergrad, LFTRs and their ilk are the future of energy.

From half:

Fuuuck.

Not that exactly but getting a Berenstain vibe.

Technically the type of LFTR reactor is what you are thinking of but breeding thorium to uranium. There is a type of Thorium reactor that will create the type of Plutonium which is used in Voyager.

Video (didn't watch all of it but familiar with the concept) is interesting, but really only usable for space flight (fine by me). Look up Project Orion- hell here, since I was so lazy not to watch the whole hour long video have a kikepedia article: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Orion_(nuclear_propulsion)

Reason we don't use Thorium salt reactors is because they don't do a good job of making nuclear weapons grade by-products; which was all the rage when the funding was initially set in the 1950's and 1960's. and Nixon killed it

Each of these things would have disqualified this, yet you chose to ignore all of them. I hope all you cuckchan niggers die.

US government has already done all the work. We drop the thorium salt in the underground chambers that we are dropping nuclear bombs in (to generate steam for electric) to breed more fuel for continued operation.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_PACER

mech fag here
As far as I can tell it is a blender. No mechanical symbols, no controls, barely any wiring. Things are labeled 'plastic' and 'aluminum' not 'ABS with chopped glass fiber reinforcement' or '6061 T-6 aluminum'.
I guess it could be ROUGH sketches of a COMPONENT.
Not to mention it seems like this could fit on your fucking desk.
Also it only works by shooting protons together to make 'deuterium'. The chemical equation in the first pic is wrong though. Deuterium is an isotope of hydrogen with a neutron. One proton would have to become a neutron and it would not have a charge of 2+ because by definition deuterium has only one proton.

One thing though is he did do orthographic projection right (albeit crude and missing a few details and the isometric view)

& yet, you fucking bumped it.
You son of a bitch…

cancer bumping a shill thread

THREAD IS NOW ALTERNATE NUCLEAR ENERGY THREAD

Happy now fag?

Well now if you were to somehow suspend the particles (presumably using magnetic force) inside of a vacuum as this drawing apparently shows I imagine you might still have problems with the intense amount of energy, obviously convection and whatever the other form of thermal-transfer is can't remember off the top of my head smh tbh would be accounted for but you would still have to manage the radiant heat and that isn't even considering the fact the magnets themselves would also conduct heat out of the reactor which is a no-no and the lack of a perfect vacuum also kinda fucks you up a bit as well.

The fusion-reactors I've seen scientists trying to build all rely on a torus shaped collider which 2 hydrogen particles are sent through suspended by magnets and under extreme vacuum; the idea being smashing the particles will cause them to break apart and unleash a fuckton of energy Equivalent to a nuclear bomb and that energy in the form of radioactive particles is then absorbed by the walls of the collider which superheats water to turn a steam turbine. Basically a miniature version of the large hadron colider.

The main issue is number one getting the hydrogen atoms to collide. If the particles aren't up to speed or don't hit perfectly no fusion. Then after that you have to regulate the release of energy which is for lack of a better term, imfuckingpossible, then you have to direct that energy into water without having a complete and total meltdown of your entire system.
And you also have to find a way to keep the reaction going in a controlled manner which again, the other things sure they are probably possible to accomplish maybe not safely but still doable, but keeping the reaction going? That's a whole new level of quantum-fuckery.

Fission reactions are fairly easy to deal with because it's based on radioactive decay and for the most part scientists can adjust the operating temperature by adding more coolant or theoretically by physically moving some of the fuel rods further apart.

Fusion reactors are going to be much trickier because you are releasing all the energy in a single burst and have to find a way to regulate what amounts to a mini-nuke.

Just getting the particles to fuse is a multi-billion dollar task.

Now could this be a cold-fusion reactor? I don't think so. It *might* be a fusion reactor but even then it probably won't stand up to the actual energy produced by fusion and we can only hope that nobody is nearby that thing when it does successfully complete a fusion reaction

Not a nuclear physicist just my $.02

No one's gonna post about ITER?

Cold fusion is a pipe dream, fusion is insanely hot and the only way to deal with it is to contain it in a tokamak with magnetic fields.

iter[dot]org
en.wikipedia[dot]org/wiki/Tokamak

The only real cold fusion is the shitty programming language that once powered MySpace.

Which is exactly what we need for Orion Ships

One guy posted home movies in a pol tv thread and I've seen 5 references to the show in half a week. It's pretty good

That's what it was, there's a whole diyer movement for fusion reactors, all the most promising ones are based off of the tokamak reactor.

From my understanding a few of them HAVE produced measurable energy but it required much more energy than was produced just because of how many thousands of times you have to shoot the particles through the reactor near light-speed just to get a single glancing blow, and it's fairly likely the energy they were measuring was from atoms knocking off protons rather than actual fusion.

Maybe someone smarter than me will come along and explain this shit better.

The Diy guys making reactors are generally making what is called a Farnsworth Fusor. They do get Tritium, surplus helium and neutron flux. What they don't get is enough reactions to make the whole thing self sustaining.

Having said that, one of the big secrets in nuclear energy right now, is that fusion bombs without fission triggers are in fact possible.

True true, but in 2015 the US has enough uranium around to make roughly 38,000 Orion rounds (nukes) which is a bunch of round trip tickets just sitting losing precious radioactivity.

fissilematerials.org/library/ipfm15.pdf

I say use the submarines as breeder reactors and let the LFTR give us complete energy independence from the Sand Niggers, let us use oil and shale for our cars; whilst we colonize Mars, mine asteroids, etc. using the Orion propulsion method. Since King Nigger is going to kill off coal we can put the reactor belt in West Virginia and Pennsylvania (giving those guys jobs). Also we put a major dent in a few multi-nationals.

Winning, right?

It was actually a US government plan, nuke times were fun times.

Well yeah, all you need is a collimated neutron beam slamming into a beryllium backer plate inside an XRay parabolic mirror focusing it on to a tritium sample of .03 grams.
Mind the scale of this thing is tiny and meant purely to initiate the rest of the dry lithium deuteride primary via a prompt compressive neutron burst and attendant pressure.
A pinpoint initiator.

Napkin schematics count for shit. Anyone can draw a picture. Fake and gay until actually demonstrated to work IRL.

"No one cared who I was until I fired up the atomic pile." – Enrico Fermi

Sage

The newest public documents I can find on it right now are from 1998, and they had a 3ton yield device that weighed about 3tons… Im sure the nuclear bomb scientists in the government abandoned their work there…

Yeah, more or less correct. Current proof-of-concepts have failed to meet the Lawson criterion, but the reason I posted ITER is because it's meant to be the first sustained plasma reaction. It's a leap from proof-of-concept to full scale energy production and ideally will produce energy with 100% efficiency, much like the Sun. If it's successful, deuterium and tritium production can begin, with tritium being really the only environmental hazard, which is a lot better than modern reactors' volatility.

I'd have sworn Europe managed a sustained reaction, the issue is that its not net recoverable sustainable yet. THough their design was not meant for power, so much as achieving a sustainable plasma field.

Oh yeah, they can sustain a plasma field, but it's impractically expensive and is done as sort of a mental masturbation exercise or proof of concept. ITER will hopefully output 10x the power required to sustain it.

I can't tell you just how many times I've seen good discussion come from an attempted troll. YOU are feeding the troll by giving it what it wants: your rage.

The harder you rage, the harder the troll's cock.

Instead, ignore the troll and make good discussion from its corpse.

If you want a good discussion about science.
Make a science thread.

Stop bumping shit-tier threads.
This is EXACTLY how cancer killed 4chan.