Thought experiment

What makes you who you are, Holla Forums?

If you were to remove parts of your body, at what point would you cease to be you?

Other urls found in this thread:

fimfiction.net/story/171887
iep.utm.edu/person-i/
youtube.com/watch?v=trqDnLNRuSc
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

idealism vs materialism

If the consciousness in uninterrupted it's you even if brain is replaced.

Since we're speaking purely in hypotheticals here anyway, if you consciousness was downloaded into a mechanical brain, would it still be you?

And by consciousness do you simply mean self-awareness? If you go unconscious due to injury or say alcohol are you no longer you, even if you're still alive?

Shut up, faggot

Yes, I believe so. And I hope that far in the future I will buy comfy robot body, redownload my mind to it and live forever.

In a girl body tbh

You idiot. There's no such thing as "downloading" a consciousness. You can only copy it. You're not going to cleanly teleport from one body to another. Once you put a copy into that machine, you'll be left standing there, in your original body, realizing what a mistake you've made. If you don't realize it then, it'll be when that machine that your copy inhabits wants to see you killed, because you pose the same moral problems to it's existence.

Kys tbh fam

No, because my soul is attached to my body, not that recording. I bet you could make a pretty decent AI out of a consciousness recording, but we'd all know it was a robot.

I was raised by wolves, then put myself through college. Got a degree in biology, and prompty went to work in computers.

that hardly seems like a refutation of dualism

Enjoy the existential dread in your late 50's.

Soul can be reattached with proper technology

Sure it is. I just said consciousness without a soul is a robot. A very complex robot, but clearly a robot nonetheless.

That word is used to describe things that affect the physical. The soul, and the spirit, are meta-physical. Something more, and different.

Which isn't, I suppose, a refutation that we couldn't develop metatechnology to migrate a soul into a variant body.

That would certainly make gender re-assignments cleaner and more effective. Just find a volunteer who wants your equipment.

Soul will be able to reside in android body as well

You don't know that. Maybe souls are only capable of attaching to organic carbon based flesh.

Maybe ripping it free breaks the part that attaches to bodies, leaving this whole discussion moot at best.

Find and measure the soul first, then report back.

lmao

It really depends on the approach. A straight download (or even a gay download) wouldn't apply to this situation because, as a previous user said, it would just be a copy. However, if we were to take a different approach, say maintain consciousness while simultaneously shifting bits of neural dependancies to an artificial medium, eventually the brain would be come a redundant organ (like an appendix). Shifting the low-level functions of the medulla oblongata would probably be trivial. However, functions such as memory might require a copy approach. Maintaining consciousness while the copy was in effect and rerouting the writing of new memories while in parallel with the brain could prove effective in this case. Eventually, memories would cease to be written in the brain all-together and would wholy dependant on artificial storage. Supplimenting the brains processes with an artificial processor could possibly lead to the processes being solely run artificially. From there, it's a matter of "shutting off" the brain to see if it takes hold. Fascinating stuff, really.

checked, and I have the same problems with the named material as the proponents of this thread. A lot of talking without personal experience.

Still, science fiction is where it starts.
Here! have some pony fiction that uses the same principles.
fimfiction.net/story/171887

I don't have problems with the material. Just want to hear something original for once. And it's a nice song.

Japanese gal singing Russian. It's got a unique sound, that's for sure.
And to be fair, I enjoyed Stand Alone Complex a lot. Second Gig was definitely less strong, but the characters were good.

The movie? Meh. I'm not upset I watched it, at least.

There is no Russian there

I've only watched the movie. Lost the thrills for anime years ago. Now I watch lighthearted shit like twice a year. Recently have lost the passion for all media except music. The normie life it is, I guess, heh.

See if you can acquire Stand Alone Complex. It's good anime, but anime nonetheless. The characters talk a little fast, stilted, and you have to pay attention to keep track of what's going on.

But, IMHO, it's way better than the animated movie.

meep meep the concept of self is merely a mental construct that we use to inform an understanding of our experience tbh

i would be me as long as my brain still remaind in my body, although i can't say that for sure. if most of my body parts i wouldn't really be me, my mental state and my everyday life would change which would cause me to change from my "real" self.

i guess

I guess so, atleast for a while. As every human we get impacted from our surroundings, e.g. if you get abused as a kid you're more likely to become a violent person. and theoretically this is a mechanical brain, and it would only have my downloaded consciousness which would be me for that part of time, but it wouldn't be able to develop me.

i hope you understand, english isn't a native language.

this. "you" are nothing but a node that holds memetic information, and with self-perception, or the information reacting to the information of itself, a self-image is formed. that doesn't really answer op, but i think the distinctions between "self" and "not self" would be arbitrary

So I die if I go to sleep, but I don't die if someone removes a single neuron at a time from my brain until only one is left?

It was meant, that I move my consciousness to robot body when my biological body old and weak, but my mind is still intact. So I just wake up in robot form, and next to me is lying corpse. Sorry, I should have write that. pls no bulli

Ah, I see you've swallowed the sociology pill.

Die in a fire.

good argument, you have made me see the error of my ways

t. green hair sjw humanities kike

It's okay. Some people just aren't smart enough to understand complex philosophy.

pls no bully

could you point a simple pleb like me in the right direction then

iep.utm.edu/person-i/

Or a video if you don't want to read a big article:
youtube.com/watch?v=trqDnLNRuSc

thanks user, ill read it when i get out of class. hopefully i can come back here tomorrow as slightly less of a pleb

Downloads are copies. You wouldn't download a car, but if you did, the original car would still exist on the other side of the transaction. When you download a movie, it doesn't disappear off the source drive. So a download of your brain's contents wouldn't be you, just a copy of you.

And to OP's question, you are your brain. The question is how much of the brain can you remove and still be you. People have lived with half a brain, but if we could theoretically keep both halves alive, that would raise interesting questions about who is who.

it would be a copy

You a shit