Java Thread

What is Holla Forumss opinion on the Java programming language?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vTIIMJ9tUc8
youtube.com/watch?v=o9pEzgHorH0
youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

For pajeets

Also, what language would you recommend for a java programmer?

My opinion?

youtube.com/watch?v=vTIIMJ9tUc8

It's total shit, learn fourth.

It runs programs quite quickly but I dislike how it forces you to program in the object-oriented style.

Hello LARPer

Good language, shit ecosystem.

go try multiple languages and make a decision for yourself, you lazy faggot

here's a hint to get you started

Well, Java is not exactly a "good" language, but its shittiness is exaggerated. However, the ecosystem is SO BAD I can understand why people think Java itself is shit.

Just a small tip: if you use Java, never use libraries if you can avoid it.

You should ask Holla Forums their opinion on Jews next..

youtube.com/watch?v=o9pEzgHorH0

Hello strawman

Seems like a good talk. Will watch.

It is verbose and at first I thought Java was shit. But it has grown on me and with Java 8 it has turned out quite ok for what it is. I also noticed in my algorithms course that Java can easily outperform C++ and that good algorithms are more important than just raw performance. It is just that you get a little boost from C++ to cover up your mistakes, but C++ is not a good language either, in fact is horrible but it is what we got.

POOPOO

I want to like Java because I can do everything with it. I think its better than c++ and I am not a pajeet.

POO.

But Kotlin is a sane-ish version of it.

I don't like writing a bunch of extra syntax for a fucking main 'class'.

youtube.com/watch?v=QM1iUe6IofM

I didn't say they are bad. I said that forcing everything to be an object all the time like Java, C#, Haxe is bad. In most cases, OOP provides no benefit over a normal procedural style. In the worst case, you have to contort your thinking into making everything a "Thing" because that's what objects are. You also end up with these "convenient references" polluting your code if your project grows big enough. It's much cleaner to have functions or procedures that operate on data, either by mutating it or by using it as arguments to functions that can be evaluated. "Methods" such as obj.doThis(x) could simply be written as doThis(obj, x) or (doThis obj x).

Secondly, you don't need OOP to enforce encapsulation like its proponents claim. Encapsulation can be handled at the level of modules and by only modifying data through a set of interface functions.

Good:
exception handling
Tooling (ides, debuggers, etc)
Portable
Relatively performant

Bad:
Verbose (though jvm languages that are better in this regard tend to be much worse to debug)
Retarded inversion of control frameworks

Disgusting, why am I running a huge virtual machine, why do isn't my main class just called main or something instead of needing to mess with all these stupid configs, why is everything so inconsistent

I love this language so much, not just as a Java replacement, but also for transpiled JavaScript.

You forgot

LARP