Official Privacy Thread

Welcome to the Official Privacy Thread
>on how to improve ones privacy.
This thread is about helping others gain more/better understanding about how tools/behavior/settings will improve ones privacy, online as offline, information on tools, how they work( and how they do not work), how to use them properly( to improve ones privacy), advice, settings, and examples are very welcome too.

Other urls found in this thread:

spreadprivacy.com/
fsf.org/
archive.is/sXpnH
theintercept.com/2015/08/11/surveillance-philosopher-nsa/
wired.com/2014/05/sandvine-report/
archive.is/aAy08
fortune.com/2016/04/25/snowden-encryption-james-clapper/
archive.is/ecYkE
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Opera is the most private web browser, it has a vpn.

spreadprivacy.com/
fsf.org/
run your OpenSource Free as in Freedom OS in a VM running in a OpenSource Free OS to prevent leaking any information related to your setup (language, time, hostname, hardware) and by doing so also it increases the security, at least for the host system.
update your software or at least the security packages (common sense)
remove software that you are not using or intend to be using (less security bugs).
use a vpn, or two (one for VM, one for host)
isolate your network (use guest ap)
hide your wifi ssid or/and make your password tight.

excuse me for taking so long to reply to my own thread. (i wanted to make a good post, and i think i did that indeed.)
Regarding OP

reply to my own post in my own thread.

Install gentoo hardened with luks encryption on a free and open source firmware ie. libreboot.
use tor hardened with no javascript.
make sure to have good opsec.

privacy is a distraction

distractions are dogshit

And place the host behind an isolating proxy, with only the VMs knowing the address and keys for the proxy, to prevent your host from accessing the internet at all.

You're fucked, mossad will find you.
You're fucked
You're fucked NSAniggers have already broken your opsec
You're fucked, mossad will find you.
You're fucked, You can't use that as a desktop OS yet. Have fun being a NEET forever
Your fucked, NSAniggers are already at work decrypting all that data in Utah.
You're fucked Mossad is already here.

thus privacy is a dogshit

Google is more privaterer, it has TLS 1.3

install gentoo

Give me access to your bank acount, emails, photos, let me take a look inside your home, etc... . People talk shit about privacy, yet instinctivly keep their lives private.

Just look at this article The Philosopher of Surveillance, by Peter Maass published by The Intercept:
archive.is/sXpnH theintercept.com/2015/08/11/surveillance-philosopher-nsa/
The tl;dr is that the NSA hired an in-house "ethicist"/philosopher (rationalizing evil) called Socrates that took a more philosophical approach to things an interesting thing he wrote in pdf related was:
>(U) One of the many thoughts that continually went through my mind was that if I had to reveal partof my personal life to my employer, I'd really rather reveal ALL of it rather than just part of it. Partial revelation, such as the fact that answering question X made my pulse quicken, led to mislmderstandings. I found myself wishing that my life would be constantly and completely monitored. It might seem odd that a self-professed libertarian would wish an Orwellian dystopia on himself, but here was my rationale: If people knew a few things about me, I might seem suspicious. But if people knew everything about me, they'd see they had nothing to fear.
But from The Intercept article:
>His young son answered [the phone] and fetched his father. Socrates was not pleased. He asked that I not disclose his identity', [anons emphasis] which was ironic because his columns praised the virtues of total transparency as a way to build trust. Why shouldn’t the public know about him? What’s wrong with a bit of well-intentioned surveillance among fellow Americans? I was not able to ask these questions, however.
So a lot of people compartmentilize, just like "Socrates" here; when inside the NSA he praised the lack of privacy, yet when his privacy was violated in the Snowden revelations (just like his cohorts had been doing for decades) he instinctivly understood its needs. So when people say "I have nothing hide, therefore no need for privacy" my reply is "Why don't you go around naked?"

Tell me what are you doing that you need to care about privacy. Are you trying to bring down the NSA? Nah, you just don't want algorithms to detect what a cuck to the system you are.

So? That's a legitimate concern.

Kill yourself CIAnigger.

How many CIAniggers have you killed? None, because you prefer to hide from them instead. Dumb faggots.

I'll take the bait:
Post picture of yourself if you don't care about privacy, along with full name, cv and so on. Since you aren't going to do that you have just proven my point.
They are completely useless at preventing terrorism but organizations like that have only three purposes, economic espionage against foreign companies, political espionage against foreign actors and repression against domestic population.
You really blew it there. It was nice bait up to that final sentence.

Whenever I see one that glows in the dark.

Both NSA and privacy is completely useless because there's no resistance anyway. And the whole Glenn Greenwald shtick is retarded because mass surveillance is done by algorithms and not people.
The whole privacy hysteria will gain substance only when people actually start to conspire against their governments.

Unhelpful defeatism. Before 2013 they were seen as the good guys, but now they are seen as subjugators and overlords and usage of encryption has increased drastically post-Snowden[0][1]. It's better to make things difficult for them by using strong encryption than doing nothing at all.
It's done by both people and algorithms, but you are correct that surveillance has been automated a lot more over the last 20-30 years. That doesn't, however, make Greewalds articles less relevant. (If you want to critize him for something, it's that he's sitting on alot of the Snowden leaks.)
Not wanting a DDR-government on steroids is not hysteria, it's simple commons sense. You do not want the state or anyone knowing everything about you. What I think will make people care more about privacy, is seeing information to a larger degree used against them.

tl;dr: If we can't win, we sure as hell can be annoying to (((them))).

[0]: wired.com/2014/05/sandvine-report/ archive.is/aAy08
[1]: fortune.com/2016/04/25/snowden-encryption-james-clapper/ archive.is/ecYkE

In the winter it would be cold.
In the summer I would get sun burns.
Protection.
I do not want to touch possibly dirty surfaces directly.
It is illegal where I live.

You're not entitled to any privacy by companies you retards. This is a free market, if your money masters want to see you fap to anime they can. Deal with it.

And if I want to use a program to block what they view I can. Your point being?

Privacy is for pedophiles

GuixSDOS + Genode.

I'm working on this now, do you encrypt boot as well? Does "security through obscurity" apply to gentoo, being that the kernel is custom? I almost considered Void Linux just for obscurity. Opsec is hard to attain though, do you have resources you might share?

There's too many contrarions and defeatist in this thread.

that's tor browser actually

I agree. My theory is the alphabet men wouldn't bother with legal measures and forcing corporations to compromise their security if it wasn't the easier way. Meaning, compromising machines, finding bugs, and developing tools is at least a pain in the ass for them. If they're going to fuck me, I at least want them to work for it.
Plus there are always non-state actors to think of depending on your threat model, so it's still worth being as secure as you can manage.

kys summerfag

this

also Agent FUD and paid govt shills seem to have discovered imageboards

Well there's a problem right there. You fucking well should be. Stop being a surveillence state cuck.