Why use linux?

what's the point of using linux now that it has been confirmed that the CIA/NSA can easily still access your system?

I'm not sure what you're talking about, but let's assume for the moment that you're right.
That would make the difference between using Windows and using Linux the difference between having someone look through all your stuff every day and giving you extra attention if you're suspected of something and having someone look through your stuff only if you're suspected of something. Not ideal, still much better.
Linux is also better for the autistic technical shit I do, and it actually runs at a bearable speed on my ancient netbook. And last but not least, it provides freedomâ„¢.

a)HELLO YES WHERE ARE THE PROOFS CITE UR SOURSES
b)Not actively spying on you for corporations
c)not intentionally granting a wide open backdoor for alphabet soup
d)linux is vastly more useful and convenient for 'intermediate users', which many people would be if not kept in the toddler pen by OSes like windows and macOS.

Because it's more customizable than macOC and Windows are.

Yes those agencies might be able to gain access to your system. But you are forgetting one important fact m8: You will likely get fucked by private corporation sooner than by government agency. By using proprietary OS such as Windows 10 you voluntarily give away your personal information to Microsoft. I'm not sure why people think that NSA/CIA spying is worse than data collection performed by corporations for use with advertising and user control. Just take facebook for example. They have been conducting psychological experiments on users with great success. I'm sure they use data collected to help them better control their users. Imagine the power they have: ability to control the mood of over 1968 million people, steer the course of history, shape public opinion... And people will still tell everyone that NSA/CIA spying is somehow worse. It's still bad, but corporate fuckery is on another level.

What's the point of using Windows when any script kiddie can access your system using NSA-strength tools?

Being open source, someone will likely fix all the exploits in Linux that were leaked from the CIA.

Supporting the fight against mass surveillance. Even if you don't "fight the powah" by any active way you can still passively be supportive of the fight against the interests that wishes to control us by supporting the anonymous networks like tor.
Faildows X takes that option away from you.

This.
Do you really think that because the CIA and the NSA can access any system that all adversaries can? Fucking retard.

So I want to game on Linux. How can I block the shitty DRM's outgoing TCP connection on port 443 without blocking Firefox too?

You're wrong, they can't do that.

Maybe the fact that it runs on way less resources, won't periodically send telemetry botnet, your keystrokes, screenshots of your desktop, and update and reboot itself forcefully?

Also, Wangblows has piss-poor security with admin accounts by default (and normal user accounts are awful), tons of hidden folders and shit whose functions are not explained anywhere, shitty CLI that doesn't even let you enumerate programs (haven't tried powerline tho), no pager, a shitty registry which requires a search engine to even use because fuck explaining things, crappy error messages when something breaks, etc.

The only good thing is that everything is bundled in installers and requires a few clicks to set up and use until it doesn't, or you need non-default settings, then you have to wade through over 9000 search results of useless websites/threads/answers telling you to reinstall/format everything, until you find that thread/blogpost from 200[0-9] telling you to download a .reg/exe/dll/whatever file to fix your problem

firejail --net=none

The only thing I can wish for is to be able to understand why the fuck some Windows software doesn't work through WIne instead of just hoping to find an answer somewhere deep on the Ubuntu forums.

Do you know what wine is?
Wine is basically the re invention of the wheel. They essentially try to remake windows from scratch without ANY help from windows whatsoever (due to copyright).
Of course stuff doesnt work yet.

Wine works in a stupid way too (due to copyright), they try to reverse engineer working libraries based on stuff released today. Contrast with microsoft, who build a solid system from the ground up and others accomodate to them.

no
linux is awful. i use linux because it respects my freedoms. literally the only reason.

GNU/Linux.

GNU/Linux.

because i don't have to pay for it. simple as that.

actually Arch Linux

Actually Arch GNU/Linux

Well, the majority of people that use windows (exept most businesses) download it of pirate bay and didn't pay either.

Anyone else that would like to interject for a moment?

[citation needed]

Actually Arch GNU/Unix

There is none, use a mans OS faggot!

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, LiGNUnix, or as I've recently taken to calling it, Linux plus GNU plus Unix. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNUnix system made useful by the GNUnix corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNUnix system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNUnix which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNUnix system, developed by the GNU Unix Project Foundation.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNUnix operating system: the whole system is basically GNUnix with Linux added, or LiGNUnix. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of LiGNUnix.

And those people are assholes and need to pay up asap!

Why the fuck would I put Windows on headless machines? Why would I put Windows on old/cheap laptops not meant for gaming?

I do dual boot on my more capable machine, but that is only necessary because VNs do not play nice with Wine.

I do not play modern AAA garbage, I don't even invest in expensive graphics cards. You could say I am limiting myself, but I'm not the target demographic of those games.

I started with stuff like local file servers, SSH tunneling, distributed backups, i2p, off-site torrenting etc with Linux using deprecated headless computers. While much of this is possible with Windows, it's worse, requires piracy, your data and behaviours is openly collected (which defeats the point of i2p).

Other than AAA games, what is the point of Windows?

because if they want to spy on you they would need to target you. On windows you are just part of the mass surveillance. Not targeted

Only TempleOS protects you from the (((CIA Niggers))).

0.02GNU have been deposited to your account.

Don't forget Qubes OS

Doncha just luurrrrve defragging?

cianigger trap, they get in but can't get out. once they're nice and comfy, you pull all the fancy sheets hanging from the walls and they find themselves surrounded by ugly brick walls in a VAX VM. kinda like those girls who were lured into pervert dungeon and became his sex slaves.

you can google your error codes and you can generally find the answer.
make sure your kernel is patch with support for you graphics card with drivers installed.
every windows program that is not offered on linux that has a mass following has been cracked, you just have to look on the me 3leet5me forums like gentoo or arch,
I personally run slackware because it is the most base line vanilla shit out there meaning I can use every trick from every major flavor because slackware has compatibility for with all the top varieties.
get gud faggot nigger.

my nigga!

Not running AAA games through wine, smh.

Most stuff does work now if you nigger with it enough.

In 2009 I bought a netbook with windows 7starter on, I downloaded gimp and made a nice collage of naked tattooed chicks on it that took me all night long because it was so detailed and intricate. I went to change my desktop background and it told me I had to pay 60 dollars to get the full suite! I had to go into my hard drive with knoppix and make a copy of my shell32, edit in a hex editor copying the hash of the original background, locating it in the shell32 and replacing it with the hash of my collage and then dropping it on my hard disk with my image in place.

now isn't that insane? why should I have to do something like that to a laptop I just bought for 300 dollars?

so after the laptop became ate up with worms and viruses I installed slackware with a grsec kernel and openbsd on dual boot luks lvm with a rubber hose cryptography deferral container and became a leet haxor cryptkiddie instantly.

No point at all. Simply stop using any computers, OP.