ITT: Things that Shouldn't Have Happened

Post the worst of the worst. Whether it be retarded plot twists, shit art, or forced diversity, it doesn't matter.

Other urls found in this thread:

slovobooks.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/last-alan-moore-interview/
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Moore_'n'_Morrison_Show!
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Are they even going anywhere with that. It just seems to get picked up then forgotten at random points in Rebirth.

I don't think they can just tease Doctor Manhattan and leave it at that. I think it'll be saved until the very end. Or they'll do something exceptionally stupid and somehow incorporate all the heroes from the Watchmen universe including Rorschach and the Comedian.

The only thing wrong with Superior Spider-man is that Ock gave up like a bitch when things starting going wrong for once.

what's going on here?

I think his face is traced or based on a specific actor, but I can't remember who.

Really? Taking an iconic quote for this?

They said that won't be resolved until the end of Rebirth, which is still going; we're only halfway from what I can gather. I think June was when they said they'd show what it all means.

The babe is Aunt May. In the Ultimate universe teenage Aunt May has sex with a lot of guys. One of the guys knocks her up. She tries to tell Ben, the guy she's dating who will become Uncle Ben, he's the father, but it turns out Uncle Ben is shooting blanks. Aunt May gives birth and gives the baby to her sister to raise.

That kid was Peter Parker aka Spider-Man.

There are no words that can accurately describe the trainwreck that was Convergence. Only Didio's DC could fuck up this badly.

The design for Leto's Joker seems like a wellspring for tongue-in-cheek comedy. Pity they didn't go that route.

I really hope it means that Blue Wang was responsible behind the Nu-52 shit and we'll be back at old New Earth in June (while keeping the good parts of Rebith)

The only good parts of Convergence is the tie-ins…like Blue Beetle, Justice Society, the return of the Detroit League, the JLI…and Titans. (On the fence on some of them)

He looks like Joel McHale.

I don't follow Convergence but is it another alternate universe? Even in alternate universe Hal fucked up again.

Nigger, there was only ONE objectively good Convergence tie-in and that was Shazam. The rest ranked from mediocre to terrible.

Convergence really gave insight into just how much DC doesn't know/care about it's own history. If you were a die-hard fan, it was like rubbing your face in broken glass.

Wait, even Convergence Superman is mediocre? Damn…I really do like Convergence Justice League, JLI and Blue Beetle.

And by Justice League, I meant the one with the Detroit team, not the all female team who got their ass kicked by Flashpoint Aquaman.

That actually looking pretty awesome. I always love the Classic steam detective Batman. Also poor Penguin, while other characters got a makeover he's simply a fat guy in a suit.

Poor Penguin? Poor Riddler…he didn't even get anything new.

If I remember well Riddler wear tights and bowler hat in the modern version, making him looks pretentious and weird. At least in this version he's wearing a dapper suit that fit better with his bowler hat.

I have to admit, people who design those new costumes got great fashion sense.

He's exactly the fucking same

I don't think it was actually connected to the Ultimate Universe

Convergence was DC's great nostalgia event where they resurrected all of their past ages so you can enjoy your favorite characters once more.

And by enjoy, I mean frustrate yourself trying to make sense of a retarded, convoluted plot where superheroes fight each other(again) with a bunch of glaring continuity flaws and featuring your favorite characters written out of character. The climax of this great event is the retconning Crisis On Infinite Earths with a HANDWAVE.

It is fucking trash.

I storytimed them when they first came out, and they were all frustratingly dull with the aforementioned problems.

A lot of them read like the author was just phoning it in, which wouldn't surprise me at all since DC burned bridges with most of them.

Convergence was a Crisis to fix up Nu52, without completely fucking it up. This didn't go as well as planned, and just left people upset.

What happened was Braniac collected every single planet and person, and placed them all on one mega planet. He then forced every city's champions to fight other champions, until there was only 1 copy of every city left, IE only one Gotham lives, then he'd return them to make the perfect universe.

He did this as he was upset things constantly changed, so he wanted to make the definitive copy that wouldn't change.

Anyways, then one of his Brainiac underlings that he converted from a planet reverted back to his humanity, or whatever species, then he and Dick Grayson, a reporter from Earth-2 go on some magical quest to unfuck OG Brainiac's plan.

Then in the grand finale, Telos, the Brainiac that reverted, kills Brainiac or something like that, then assumes his power, and then decides that every universe has a right to live, so he unkills everyone that died and puts them back where they belong, then every single universe that ever existed gets placed back into the continuity.

So there you go, every single earth and universe exists side by side, and they still ran with it being called Nu52 for a few months.

Now Rebirth is just retconning everything without explaining how it happened. The big reveal in June/July will be that Dr Manhattan condensed everything into the 52 universes, and that Barry dindu nuffin wrong in Flashpoint.
Manhattan gets blamed for taking 10 years or time away from people, which explains their aging differences in Nu52, then we'll essentially go back to before Flashpoint, but while keeping everything that happened in that time.

IT'S SO FUCKING STUPID AND CONFUSING, BUT AT LEAST IT'S MILDLY BETTER THAN MARVEL'S CURRENT CRISIS
And at least they're going back to the roots of capes, so maybe it will actually be decent to enjoy in a few years.

Okay then, they are similar but I think the Convergence version is still better. The vest with tucked in tie make him look less disheveled unlike the modern version.

Thank you both for the detailed explanation. The Brainiac thing with pitting heroes for the sake of their world sounds like Bokurano for me. Maybe that's where they got the inspiration from. But I agree, they sounds so convoluted and more about dream team fights rather than trying to make a good story.

Also

As an oldfag I'm fucking fuming right now. FUCK FUCKDUCKCFUCKFKFJK you know what it's not worth holding down the shift button and typing fuck over and over again while angry.

Yeah….not a fan of retconning the original Crisis. Infinite Crisis maybe but not the original Crisis. Unrelated but you know what we need? Bring back Hypertime.

Your explanation of Convergence's plot is wrong, but I'm not going to blame you for it. It's probably the most confusing comic event I have ever read. It's piles of frustrating garbage.

All the layman needs to know about it is that after two months of atrocious storytelling and bullshit fighting, Brainiac says he's tired and retcons COIE.

I wish. Most of the fights were A-listers fighting nobodies, like Wetworks, The Extremists, Kingdom Come assholes, Flashpoint assholes, or the rulers of Earth-6. Hardly gripping material, especially considering all of the character flubs.

I don't mind them retconning COIE.. It's just that retconning Infinite Earths SHOULD'VE BEEN THE GODDAMN EVENT. Instead of screwing around with all of this meaningless fighting crap, we could've been doing something actually interesting.

Hell, some of the fights are downright unfair. JLI vs Kingdom Come Justice League, The Hawks vs the Justice Riders (an off-panel beatdown no less), Aquaman vs some jobber with a gun, the JSA fighting a nameless robot (though I kind of liked it that it's their last ride) Batman and Azrael vs a team of jobbers with guns. At least the Sentinels of Justice vs Legion of Superheroes was dealt intelligently (Ted working with some of the Legions' psykers to create an illusion to stop the fighting). The most frustrating fight would've been the Justice Legion vs the original Crime Syndicate (no one wins, the story just ends…that's it)

Kate Leth

funny thing is, Rebirth has been the best thing for DC in years

I THINK they're dropping tiny hints about to build up to something later

Gwenpool should have never happened.
But I'm glad it did to be fair, it's a small glimmer of hope. I hope Gurihiru never stops being the artist.
To be fair also, Deadpool also should have never happened, been a rip off after all

And don't get me started on 90's Kon-El (which was nice to see) having to throw a fight against KC Superman, Harley winning over Captain Carrot (fucking Captain Carrot!) or the very disappointing ending of Convergence World's Finest (everyone dies..the end)

Then again, Liefeld shouldn't had happened either. Seriously, what idiot hired him?

He did. That was the whole point of Image.

Pretty sure Liefeld got his start at Marvel first before he formed Image.

Civil War
One More Day
Every Marvel event after those two

Before X-Force he did Hawk and Dove for DC.

I hear he was a compulsive swiper even back then, and bummed a lot of help from his friends.

Mark Gruenwald and Dick Giordano, but it's not really their fault. They gave him work probably on the expectation that, with a little nurturing and guidance, he could be a good artist. He came along at the right time, when style over substance artwork was getting really popular, which meant he became big really quickly and as a result never really developed the necessary skills to be a good comic artist.

What the shit, a Pirate world?
Starring Kal-El as Whitebeard
those pirates versions of Joker and Penguin are cool as fuck, though

Mark Gruenwald? Jeez, that's rough considering what Liefeld did to Captain America and Liefeld's art may or may not have contributed to his heart attack.

why does one hand have fingernails and the other one doesn't

As stupid and cliched the entire gimmick was, they could've at least done something interesting with the match-ups. Like have The Demon vs. Bloodstorm Batman, Azbats vs. Earth-Two Batman, or the Crime Syndicate vs "KILLER" Kent, but that would involve actually knowing, and loving, your history.

Convergence: Shadow of The Batman was a huge disappointment. It was a great example of how messed up this event was. Azbats character was fucked into a complete edgelord with Brucebats stealing the show. If you know anything about Knightquest, you know that during most of Azrael's time as Batman, Bruce was undercover in England crippled with a broken back. He shouldn't have been in that issue, let alone running around in the batsuit. It really showed that in this big fan pandering event, DC really didn't give a rat's ass about the fanbase.

Also, BTW, those jobbers were Wetworks. As you've pointed out there were TWO issues in Convergence where they were the villain, Aquaman and Shadow of The Bat. I can't even begin to fathom some of this shit.

I think it's an improvement. Imagine Batman with pirate submarine and Green Lantern with transformable ship. Or Wonder Woman and her pirate ladies or Plastic man the pirate that can stretch his bo… wait.

Question: Are they include the Wildstorm universe in this fuckuppery? I have soft spot for Wildstorm universe and really pissed off when DC bought them.

Most of Wildstorm characters, and I say most but only because there may be some I don't know about, have been added into the mainline DC continuity.
They didn't appear, per se, in this event, but they were affected.

Not sure if they mean the Wildstorm universe is existing alongside everything else, but they probably just ignored it.

That's actually a good news. DC bought Wildstorm out of spite and fucking rip it apart. At least they don't have to deal with this Convergence bullshit. I bet Gen 13 and W.I.L.D.cats are lounging in their mansion while DC main cast busy fisting each other.

They did appear in Convergence. Wetworks is Wildstorm. They even had Gen 13 fighting Steel. Not only was it a completely one sided fight, but highlighted how the gimmick for Convergence didn't work, since both sides realized they're all good guys and stopped fighting. This trope happened in almost every single issue.

Except World's Finest where when Shining Knight stopped fighting, the world got fucked. In Superboy, he had to throw the fight for the KC guys (he fought KC Superman, Flash and Red Robin to a draw no less) and Convergence CSA..it just ends.

Nope, not Ultimate. It was 616 (or meant to be, at least).

Did that really lead to anything?

It's not supposed to lead into anything for a while. But apparently Batman will investigate the pin at some point. With the Flash.

exactly. they brought in a young kid who had some major problems with his art, but put a lot of energy in it. the idea was that they could eventually get him to get his shit together.
then he ends up in a creator-owner situation in Image and nobody he has to listen to can tell him 'hey, Rob, just fucking learn what feet look like"

spoiler alert, assuming you want to read dksa and haven't and believe it's even possible for your 'enjoyment' of it to be ruined somehow

I don't get it

He drops Robin into a volcano.

I'm actually Looking forward to DCU vs Doctor Manhattan because for the first time since 2011 I actually trust DC to do a good job

It's going to be the biggest middle finger to Alan Moore DC's ever done, and that's really saying something.

But if they really mean FUCK CYNICISM then I'm totally onboard. I only wish Grant Morrison was writing it because 1, it would be amazing, and 2, it would be an even bigger middle finger to Moore if the person he hates more than anything was allowed to personally defile his most famous work

Gwenpool isn't Gwen Stacy.

oh, also this

I don't understand this logic. Everything Alan Moore wrote was great, Watchmen, The Killing Joke, Lost Girls. The problem was the morons who tried to copy him without realizing what they were doing

Are you one of those people who is offended by Moore because he's tried to create actual art and you want things to deliberately be bad?

And Grant Morrison, that's who you love? Christ you're a dipshit.

Best Gwen disapprove of GwenPool and SpiderGwen

Miracleman was fantastic.

Alan Moore's work is deeply rooted in the mentality of "superheroes are gay and dumb", because he's a cynical old man.

He's still one of my favorite writers, but his resentment of the medium that gave him his career is made really evident in a lot of his stuff (Watchmen, Whatever Happened both of which are among my favorite comics of all time).

I'd like to see Morrison write the big one because Moore would go absolutely fucking BALLISTIC if he did.

Also if we're going to talk about quality,

All-Star Superman is better than Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow.

Batman R.I.P is close to as good as The Killing Joke.

The Invisibles is better than Watchmen.

Also sigils

Why is her name Gwenpool if she's not Gwen Stacy?

Gwen Poole.

No, I'm not joking.

I can't decide if that or the alternative (her being a Gwen Stacy version) is the more retarded option.

The Invisibles was pretentious shit, even The Matrix was better. Just look at this faggot's face, he takes dick up the ass on the regular.

That's alright, pal. Don't worry about it.

That's Nu52 Earth-2 Jay Garrick, I believe.
I'm sure I read an Earth-1 story where Jay is older and wearing the classic costume.

Gwen's best incarnation was Alien Force.
I'm not into loli, but I can see why people like her so much.
But still, not the best.

I'm certain it's why he got a job at DC in the first place. Some stupid editor likely heard about that book and thought "This guy really gets capes".

So hired him to write superhero comics.

You can just go ahead and put the entire Nu52 in this thread. Nothing good came out of that shit.

Moore really does seem to hate superheroes, which is amusing considering how many times he's ended up writing them again.
Morrison on the other hand genuinely loves superheroes, in all their incarnations.
Moore keeps deconstructing them, and Morrison keeps reconstructing them.

You know what's really funny? Reading about Moore's interactions with Rob Liefeld, when they were working together. Moore comes off as holding Liefeld in utter contempt, and Liefeld comes off as completely oblivious, and unable to grasp anything Moore says.

Fuck you, I liked Court of Owls a lot.

Catwoman was pretty good actually, and i didn't mind snyder's batman.

I liked Batwoman, but it was delayed a year so it wouldn't be cancelled when nu52 hit, only for DC to ruin it anyway.

I'll grant you All Star but you're talking shit about the other two.

Especially Invisibles.
It's a convoluted mess, not the usual Morrison style I love either. It detracts value from the story it's that bad.
The big bad guy gets beaten off panel.

But I would like to see a big war between Morrison and Moore

I can imagine it.
Moore says something sarcastic like "at the rate the industry is decaying we could rip off any old bollocks, give them too many muscles and an edgy attitude and it would sell".
And boom. X-Force.

so

what's the story there

is it even possible to get under Liefeld's skin or make him feel bad about his work?

I think Rob still keeping his childlike glee when he's working in comic industry. He probably felt like he's still in middle school and drawing comics is just like making homework but more fun.

Fuck

Official gwen tier list is original series > alien force >> ultimate alien >>>>>>> PPG-tier reboot

Is that shit still going?

*Yelling from behind a cover* How about Omniverse Gwen?

I heard CN already paid for 60 episodes. Also it's released a full year ahead in CN outside USA. So yes, we get the full brunt of that abomination while you guys can prepare yourself.

Was omniverse before or after ultimate alien?
Because the tier list of best gwens is the same as the chronological order of ben 10 series.

After Ultimate Alien. But then again, Omniverse Gwen looks bad anyways.

slovobooks.wordpress.com/2014/01/09/last-alan-moore-interview/
TL;DR Morrison's been trying to get senpai to notice him for about thirty years now to the point that Moore feels he's blatantly ripping off his work amongst other things, as well as taking any opportunity he can get to say stupid shit about Moore in order to provoke him.

Or at least, that's how Moore sees it

They're really not learning their lesson here.

Only good decision so far is the 52 they paid for from Justice League Action, but I'm ready for that to get scrapped.

Not all Omniverse Gwen's are bad.

nu52. Pretty much all of Dan Didio's ideas.

Lol, I think I was there for the second great Moore n' Morrison thread.
the-conservatory.wikia.com/wiki/The_Moore_'n'_Morrison_Show!

I came up with a string of skits that I wish had been saved now.

Wew, that place must be overrun by 4cucks by now.

No not him, I remember his stubble and well kept hairstyle and that jawline. But not Joel.

Oh well, at least they are not the shittiest book in that event.

What is that about? I don't recognize the other people there besides Moore and Morrison. Are they comic book writers as well?

Clockwise, it's Mark Millar, Garth Ennis, Neil Gaiman, and Warren Ellis

Ah, didn't know Ellis had such a magnificent beard.

Maybe Adam Scott then?

Bendis retconning the fact that Victor von Doom mother was in heaven and retconning him to having wanted to have been Tony Stark all this time and not Reid

Bendis was a mistake

After reading Supreme I no longer get the idea he hates superheroes.

I knew Bendis was shit, but I never could have imagined he was so terrible as to be able to fuck up Victor Von Doom of all characters.

Victor wanted to be better than Reed though, not to be Reed. And Doomwar showed us that he CAN'T change, because he believes with 100% of his being that he is right, and that he is in fact right.

But Bendis is a fucking hack.

Ah yes that's it!

Good news, he`s off GotG. Bad news is that he will write Thunderbolts instead

As someone who read Thunderbolts since issue #1 it's already ruined now. So I don't see what so bad having a bad writer for it.

Which runs for Thunderbolts would you recommend? Is only the original run good?

I prefer the original more because I was pretty young and new to comic scene back when I pick it up from comic book store expecting nothing. My only reason picking it up because it's titled Thunderbolt and I like that name. So when I read the surprise reveal in the end of #1 I was blown away. They are evil team in disguise? Holy shit this is amazing!

I prefer them to play their charade a little bit more. But unfortunately because Heroes Return event happened their identity revealed much earlier than expected.

Original's best. I think when they brought it back it went from villain team posing as heroes/villain team looking to redeem themselves, to just fucking Suicide Squad but with Marvel characters

When I read Batman revealed his identity to the Joker I was kind of hoping he burst through the fucking skylight into Joker's lap and told him just to see the look on his face. That, on the other hand, is mediocre.

Never read it. What's so bad about it?

A couple Anons say its generic.

Spider-gwen is all about porn.