Someone Is Learning How to Take Down the Internet

lawfareblog.com/someone-learning-how-take-down-internet

Over the past year or two, someone has been probing the defenses of the companies that run critical pieces of the Internet. These probes take the form of precisely calibrated attacks designed to determine exactly how well these companies can defend themselves, and what would be required to take them down. We don't know who is doing this, but it feels like a large a large nation state. China and Russia would be my first guesses.

First, a little background. If you want to take a network off the Internet, the easiest way to do it is with a distributed denial-of-service attack (DDoS). Like the name says, this is an attack designed to prevent legitimate users from getting to the site. There are subtleties, but basically it means blasting so much data at the site that it's overwhelmed. These attacks are not new: hackers do this to sites they don't like, and criminals have done it as a method of extortion. There is an entire industry, with an arsenal of technologies, devoted to DDoS defense. But largely it's a matter of bandwidth. If the attacker has a bigger fire hose of data than the defender has, the attacker wins.

Recently, some of the major companies that provide the basic infrastructure that makes the Internet work have seen an increase in DDoS attacks against them. Moreover, they have seen a certain profile of attacks. These attacks are significantly larger than the ones they're used to seeing. They last longer. They're more sophisticated. And they look like probing. One week, the attack would start at a particular level of attack and slowly ramp up before stopping. The next week, it would start at that higher point and continue. And so on, along those lines, as if the attacker were looking for the exact point of failure.

The attacks are also configured in such a way as to see what the company's total defenses are. There are many different ways to launch a DDoS attacks. The more attack vectors you employ simultaneously, the more different defenses the defender has to counter with. These companies are seeing more attacks using three or four different vectors. This means that the companies have to use everything they've got to defend themselves. They can't hold anything back. They're forced to demonstrate their defense capabilities for the attacker.

I am unable to give details, because these companies spoke with me under condition of anonymity. But this all is consistent with what Verisign is reporting. Verisign is the registrar for many popular top-level Internet domains, like .com and .net. If it goes down, there's a global blackout of all websites and e-mail addresses in the most common top-level domains. Every quarter, Verisign publishes a DDoS trends report. While its publication doesn't have the level of detail I heard from the companies I spoke with, the trends are the same: "in Q2 2016, attacks continued to become more frequent, persistent, and complex."

There's more. One company told me about a variety of probing attacks in addition to the DDoS attacks: testing the ability to manipulate Internet addresses and routes, seeing how long it takes the defenders to respond, and so on. Someone is extensively testing the core defensive capabilities of the companies that provide critical Internet services.

Who would do this? It doesn't seem like something an activist, criminal, or researcher would do. Profiling core infrastructure is common practice in espionage and intelligence gathering. It's not normal for companies to do that. Furthermore, the size and scale of these probes—and especially their persistence—points to state actors. It feels like a nation's military cybercommand trying to calibrate its weaponry in the case of cyberwar. It reminds me of the U.S.'s Cold War program of flying high-altitude planes over the Soviet Union to force their air-defense systems to turn on, to map their capabilities.

What can we do about this? Nothing, really. We don't know where the attacks come from. The data I see suggests China, an assessment shared by the people I spoke with. On the other hand, it's possible to disguise the country of origin for these sorts of attacks. The NSA, which has more surveillance in the Internet backbone than everyone else combined, probably has a better idea, but unless the U.S. decides to make an international incident over this, we won't see any attribution.

But this is happening. And people should know.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/QOid3
trilema.com/2015/artifexd-a-better-ircd-rfc/
trilema.com/2016/gossipd-design-document/
anicursor.com/deleteinternet.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Nice Archive OP

archive.is/QOid3
archive.is/QOid3
archive.is/QOid3

Chinese or the NSA imo. The rebellions in the ME and the civil war in Syria have shown how powerful the Internet can be. The NSA would false flag an attack to take it down in the case of widespread civil unrest CONUS.

no archive? report and sage

It's just Terry preparing for the new networking-free reign of the LORD.
CIA Niggers BTFO

OP doesn't know how to summarize

So, in case of common internet blackout, would 8ch.pl still work? I really don't want to be stuck figuring out how to piratebox my whole state. I don't into tox. I'm a complete pleb when it comes to proxies.
What hope is there for anons such as I to stay connected to the greater collective consciousness?

The elites are terrified of the internet, be they from the US, Russia, China, or anywhere else where you have oligarchic dynasties and the unelected, corrupt bureaucratic caste practically owning everything.

There are two approaches for countering the influence of internet, and they come down to 1984 vs Brave New World.

One approach is to censor everything that even hints at danger (Russia/China approach, as a continuation of USSR policies), another is to make everything so ridiculous, pointless, and full of disinfo, attention span breakers and subversion, that no one even cares about the truth anymore (US approach)

So those attacks could be made by any major player, or even supra-national organizations, corporate cartels etc.

Reported for reporting things that aren't against the rules.

Sage for off-topic, I'm just sick of you faggots. You are worse than vegans, and you need to stop. If you feel something warrants archiving, then archive it yourself.

Who could be behind this?

My jiggaboo

He put the entire article in the OP dumbass. He doesn't need to archive. The only other reasons to archive would be to make sure its an article that doesn't get taken down, which isn't likely as it is a Bruce Schneier article and will be spread everywhere. Or, because of ads or privacy, which doesn't matter anyway, as he posted the entire article in the fucking OP. Use your brains you fucking nitpicking reddit retards.

Archiving is done so that a copy is retained if pulled. Just showing the text of the op would not convince anyone in such a situation. That's why it's nice to have an archive of the article as it originally appeared.

Hello, Schlomo.

The article is dealing with something that's pretty much public knowledge, no one is going to take it down for whatever reason.

Yes, and I addressed that in my fucking post you illiterate.

It's a Schneier article. It's probably posted to his blog. Posted on /., posted on fucking newsgroups, and probably already archived on various archival sites. Moreover, Schneier articles aren't the type of articles to get pulled. He's mostly a descriptive, after the fact security guy that isn't railing against anyone with information that would annoy groups that could take his articles down.

Then why discuss it at all?

It should still be done for posterity. Your loss of emotional control changes nothing.

Already addressed this numbnuts, but I guess this is to be expected, since you did the same thing in the post above.

Writing swear words in a post says nothing about the internal content or validity of the claims being presented. What you are basically saying is, "these swear words means you are mad, I am so flustered that I can't concentrate on your post, so I'll just repeat things you've already addressed".

Anyway, I'm done here, since you can't actually address any of my points without already bringing up something I've already shot down.

Since that's not a rule on this board can I report you?

They censor there internet considerably more then other developed nations. Seems like a reasonable guess.

You're a fucking dumbass.

OP losing his shit in this thread is more entertaining than the wall of text he copy/pasted.

It's the way of Holla Forums; archive everything. Don't be a faggot. Just do it.

I keep seeing this. Is this a fresh new facebook meme?

Well anything written by Bruce Schneier gets my instant respect.

Shit is scary. I'm looking back I'm my old computer and electronic courses, thinking half this shit is outdated, but now it feels like it may become key. Modern systems are very centralized and interdependent, and each service is hugely distributed. That's what made the internet just "work", when neither phones nor radio communication ever reached such levels in any area. But now it seems we may have to turn towards those things again.

I now send part of my free time worrying about the future, about what will happen the day we go dark, sketching plans for alternative and more resilient communication systems. It's scary already to only have a vague idea of what's happening around the world, with the lies of media being told what to report, and a constant tsunami of pointless, mind-numbing, degenerate content, with all being left as a lookout being a couple viewpoints in random places the size of a peephole… without communication, most of society would collapse pretty quickly, supply chains would stop working, crazy rumors would spread like wildfire, panic effects would give it the final blow.

Radioham is the last frontier and I'm genuinely thinking about crossing it, because soon it'll be all we have.

Except France. I'm not kidding, they're worse than even North Korea.

You'd be much better off transcribing it into an artificial neural net.

It's like trying to write executable code on paper. All the needed data/instructions might be there, but it is taking up a lot more room than it should, and you can't really do anything with it until you transcribe it into the right domain.

Whatever you say, Chaim.

It started years ago. Don't know if it's getting popular on kikebook again. I only have a shitposting account on twatter anymore.
was a popular joke in college we used to make fun of vegans like 5 years ago. I saw it all over kikebook and in popular media.

good

What does Holla Forums think about amateur HAM radio internet?

I've seen schematics and modems that can make it work like decentralized wifi ethernet. Data transfer is very slow, and prone to errors, but you can run chans on it.

It still depends on the radio relays (repetitors), but those are much harder to take down than centralized internet.

Gosspid

trilema.com/2015/artifexd-a-better-ircd-rfc/

updated

trilema.com/2016/gossipd-design-document/

I blame Israel.

While I like the idea as a contingency plan, where are we even going to get enough radio techs to run that?

It's enough to buy a HAM radio and use existing infrastructure. Of course, for international communication you would need a huge antenna and a good power source, but it's not impossible, just expensive. Add encryption to that, and you have something as close to military communication as it gets.

Russia banned Holla Forums just so you know.

based archive user

Its not like the entire article is in the OP or anything

Russia is owned by kikes, and could be their next base of operations once the power of the US is dismantled. A country like USA doesn't suddenly become this incompetent over night, after seeing all the things they did for the past few decades.

In chess, this move is called the rochade, when King and Rook (castle) swap places.

10 Buxton it's isreal

10 Buxs it's Isreal*

[oy vey shut it down intensifies]

Nice cold war fear mongering my chap
If Russia and China were caught with it they could spark international conflict (not that they shy from that, but over petty shit they arent willing). China is most likely to start international beef with its territorial disputes, just like Russia.

I believe these probes could have been by that same secret group of hackers that made stuxnet.

China had already tried out a similar thing called The Great Cannon. You should look into it.

Same type that stuxnet had when it attacked Irans centrifuges…

They are letting us know that they have all power available for them whilst training and configuring last bits of their botnet.

Cloud computing was a mistake.

I despise cloud computing and Internet of things
These things only slow us down and provide big piles of free private data to big companies ready to sell them

Cloud computing was a way for kikes to have a permanent man in the middle control over the internet. That allows for denial of access to bad goys, massive botnet that could be used for DDOS'ing, analyzing of big data and tracking of bad goys.

Internet needs to go back to it's roots, get reinvented or there will be no internet anymore.

Vegans are just a bunch of annoying faggots, they're just as bad as people who misuse "literally"

They are a dangerous cult pushed by Soros and co.

HAHAHAHAHAH faggot can go kill himself

please stop jews

It's more like

- Jews infiltrate royal family in Russia, it becomes tyrannical and starts cucking Russia to the (((international interests)))
- Jews stage a revolution because people are pissed off, with themselves as the leadership so they don't get discovered and shoah'd

- Meanwhile USA becomes chosen and participates in the dissolution of the USSR, with Russia being completely ruined and most of kikes from there moving to USA
- USA fucks up entire world while at it. People start hating USA
- They dissolve USA in the same way they dissolved USSR, leaving the country ruined and moving onto Russia again (perhaps China as well)

Goyim think they have won against an "evil empire", but little do they know …

Et cetera.

Same could be applied to political ideologies. Rothschilds are pushing hard for Monarchy lately.

Good luck with your man in middle attacks dumb goy

Rasputin is actually jewish, and is like mrs reagan's "astrologer" contingent. He poisoned her mind and may have incited the revolution himself. But the czar of russia was loyal to europe and white people. They had no interest in the deaths of fellow whites. See: the czar guaranteeing america's freedom from intervention during the civil war, which saved the USA from an extended foreigner-fueled conflict destroying us in our infancy.

Then there's the french revolution, which was incited in direct retribution to napoleon's empire daring to ban usury and remove jewish power from society.

Of course, history gets convoluted once you start to have to document the outright jewish destruction of the west, beginning in earnest with the french revolution.

Probably sound like a loon to have to tell people these things.

Are you retarded?

Not as retarded as you who can't read the fucking image attacked to my post, kike.

Napoleon came after the revolution, you dumb nigger.

If you read all this and fail to realize it is the NSA you are fucking handicapped.

Guess what those data centres have been up to …

I mean, it's pretty ridiculous to have a black and white thinking, especially when it comes to such historical events. That are full of changing sides, deceit, and the general cloak and dagger politics.

French Revolution was based in the start, but later it's ideals got co-opted by the kikes. In the same way, some of their own movements got co-opted to fight for the other side (think of wealthy (((bankers and industrialists))) financing some popular movement only so it turns against them later)

I can easily see:
"The attacks will stop only after you turn control of the internet over to the (((U.N.)))."

This is fascinating and worrying, bump

How could possibly the UN control change anything? The physical infrastructure is still the same. Unless they try to put entire internet in (((cloud)))

The capability already exists, but I don't think anyone has the guts to actually do it.

anicursor.com/deleteinternet.html

Who's to say it isn't the US itself looking for a failsafe to shut down the internet in case of widespread social unrest or building revolutionary sentiments?

The internet is how those ideas will travel, how people will plan events and coordinate movements. Shut down the internet and people will only have the TV propaganda. And amateur radio, but few people have anything up to the task.

the UN doesn't control jack shit per se. They will simply form a (((sub-committee))) like the communist cocksuckers they are which of course will be funded and regulated by (((NGO lobby groups))). That's how syndicates work, you use someone else's good name as a legitimate front which they will willingly and happily endorse, while you launder money and commit all sorts of felonies without so much as a scratch to your reputation or even repercussion for your actions.

You sure are.