Ubuntu arrives in the Windows Store, Suse and Fedora are coming to the Windows Subsystem for Linux

venturebeat.com/2017/05/11/ubuntu-arrives-in-the-windows-store-suse-and-fedora-are-coming-to-the-windows-subsystem-for-linux/
archive.fo/a9oDN

So, Holla Forums, is this the year of Linux desktop? Are you going to install Linux from the ms store? :^)

My personal opinion is that this is absolute cancer and that's microsoft's way to destroy fsf, gnu and linux

Other urls found in this thread:

thenextweb.com/eu/2017/05/10/europe-is-living-under-microsofts-digital-killswitch/
betanews.com/2017/05/11/ubuntu-suse-fedora-linux-windows-store/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Smart move on Microsoft's part, funny thing is, this really is GNU and not Linux.

It's a sign that they're scared of losing market share among developers. It has no real relevance for regular desktop users.

fucking disgusting

This is not what I had in mind, at all. I want off this ride!

On the bright side, maybe developers will be lazy and just start writing programs for linux since it will now work on Windows anyways.

That would be nice.

Knowing Microsoft, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if they somehow crippled it to incentivize against that. Perhaps by not fully exposing the graphics adapter or something similar.

On the bright side, you can now create applications for linux and sell them to normies running windows.

All system calls made from non-Windows layer command shells are to be automatically batched and analyzed via Azure™ cloud services in order to improve cloud data optimization technology.

Allow me to interject for a moment just to correct you.
If this thing succeeds it will be the year of the GNU/Windows on the desktop as it'll be GNU running on top of the windows kernel with no Linux to be seem anywhere.

This is a DEFCON 3.

I don't get it. How do you get different distributions if they're the same os with the same crap?

GNU/NT.

Going to these lengths shows how desperate MS is to maintain their market share. And since normalfags want to use Loonix because it's hip and cool, they'll think "cool, now I don't even have to dual boot". The saddest part is it will work. Nevermind the main reason for switching is breaking free from the MS botnet.

Every distribution has its own repositories, compiles programs with the options of their own choosing and links them against the libraries they want (the ones that offer binary packages, anyway), and bundles packages with config files, init scripts, and scripts for update-alternatives, updating the mandb, application menus, etc. Some distros even make their own modifications to some programs.

Cygwin and Gentoo were there long before Microsoft even replaced ChairMonkey™ with CurryMonkey™ and started this hipstershit trend.

Yeah, previous known as gnu/redhat

/thread

Say goodbye to gnu/linux in 3 years.

LOL. You're like people screaming about conspiracy in Holla Forums.
We should be mefious toward microsoft, but I don't see how they could destroy fedora, debian and co.

Even MS admits Windows sucks dick

i fucking love windows now

GNU/Telemetry, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Telemetry.

just like cygwin, noone will actually use it
it's just microsoft 'making up' for crummy business practices from the last few decades

thanks india

DUDE FREEDOM LMAO

The question is how do i shield myself from the inevitable repository mix up and ends up with a GNU-Telemetry package on my Mint system?

This user knows whats up. Microsoft's tactics to maintain market share would make a drug dealer blush in shame. Never underestimate Microsoft, especially since they have the US governments tacit approval as a monopoly.

thenextweb.com/eu/2017/05/10/europe-is-living-under-microsofts-digital-killswitch/

Hey, I was going to post it from betanews.

betanews.com/2017/05/11/ubuntu-suse-fedora-linux-windows-store/

Yes, sell. You dyslexic or something?

Stallman doesn't think there's anything wrong with selling libre software as long as the source code is given to you with it. In fact he has admitted to buying libre software on camera.

Shit. I need to move to OpenBSD as soon as possible.
Virus are going to start targeting systemd/linux soon.

You mean always right?

Fuck I laughed harder than I should have

link?

its not in the store

Nope, it's still using Linux syscall stubs in the translation layer. That's how they achieve ELF-64 binary compatibility.