Serious Philosophical Question

Can you *choose* to believe in something without having rational evidence for your belief? Or does this, in some way, fall short of true belief?

For example, I could *choose* to believe in the existence of God, or that somebody loves me (despite having no evidence on either point). Would this be 'real' belief, or would it fall short, because it isn't based on reason?

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/JQKQI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

it can be a real belief insofar as you truly believe it, but you can never *know* it.
for example:
i can believe 2+2=5
i can believe that a dog is not a mammal

but i can never know something that is not what-is. you cannot know 2+2=5 or that a dog is not a mammal

belief is not a very strong word, user. idk why you're having trouble figuring this one out

Belief is what it is, proof of belief is belief. It is simple as that, but is that what you really wanted to know? Because it seems like it would be too convenient to think you don't understand belief. What do you really want to know?

It's obvious to me I can 'make myself believe' that dogs are not mammals, because all it would take is the belief that my system of animals is the correct one, and that's not necessarily untrue. But could I make myself believe that dogs taste good, without ever having any evidence about it?

Now what the fuck did you want us to say?

That wasn't me.

I was talking to the person posting

No you couldn't.

He probably didn't want you to say anything

I would like to say OP that you can't actually disbelieve in God because you don't know God.

When you know God you can't disbelieve in him.

So belief has to be based on evidence?

I think it would b more important know what defines proof, in that situation.

No, but good luck trying to defy your ideology without a lot of work just to believe in something that has no utility.

This is one of the major problems in the western worlds: everyone is a rational thinker. Anything which is irrational is effect garbage/total shit according to that way of thinking.

This way of thinking is wrong because not everything is rational. Even in science itself if you study string theory/theoretical physics its all based on belief. Most scientists donot understand why certain things happen, but they do happen. Rationality cannot be the only thing u must base everything to be real…

So why can't I believe that dog meat tastes good?

Defy what ideology?

Every fedora I know is walking around disbelieving in a sky wizard.

God is not a sky wizard.

God is not the figure in the bible, nor is god any man, nor is God any deity known to man having a personality and a body.

God is within all and in all and greater than all.

God is the all in all.

Omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, infinite, eternal, and unchanged.

Fedoras don't believe in the sky wizard and religious-cucks that believe in the sky wizard are both retarded.

That all depends on how you describe God.

The fuck happened to my image.

Nobody is rational, but we are subject to forces that can rationally described and delt with accordingly.

I have uploaded an image like 3 times and each time it never actually gets posted wtf.

I'm not sure I actually believe in irrationality. What is irrationality and how can it exist in a rational universe? How can man be irrational?

How the fuck did you post an image?

What would you prefer me to say?

If you can make decisions that seems Like it would profit you in someway, then yes it exists.

Can you answer me without an image?

If you wanted to anger me, you succeeded

How are you guys even posting images in here. My images don't go through for some reason.

I would say YES… but it is hard. With religion, it is easier to believe because other people also believe the same thing.

Forexample, I could belive in a world of elves that loves me, but they can't help do X because X.

Also it's easier to believe if you don't have a reason not too. For-example, if you believe summer will not turn to fall and then it does, your belief is provably false.

Yeah, creationists do that shit all the time. In fact, that's the backbone of any major religion known to man. If it's not "believe or else" it's "believe hard enough and then you'll see the truth. What? You want some confirmation that can justify your belief? That's heresy."
Belief doesn't require reasoning. You can believe in whatever the fuck you want. Generally, education can temper your investment in your beliefs, though. Smarter people tend to doubt themselves more, and that's not because they lack confidence, but because they know that it's incredibly easy to be wrong about something, given a limited experience or an unawareness regarding important changes in information.

Yeah, jews do that with the holocaust every day :^)

is this a troll because belief needs no reason, I think.
I choose to believe the human animal can get to SPAAAAaaaaaaaacccccceeeee and get past all the things that got us to space in space because space.

why is there evil if God is good? Why does God' perfect plan involve so much violent painful death?

this link will be of use to you, user
imgur.com/gallery/JQKQI

belief is by definition not based around reason
proof -> belief is just observation

why are fedoras so bad at memeing?

Memes won't save you.

No OP, belief isnt as concrete as you think it is, there are people right now who believe that they cant see anything its called hysterical blindness and they completely mean it. Even a theory technically needs to be believed in order for it to be correct, the closest we have to solid rational ideas are called laws and while we know they are infallible we don't completely know why.

Align your beliefs with something with a strong foundation and everything should be fine but technically everything you think is real and rational can be called into question

Was that fedora enough for you?

I suppose the problem I have is that you get to the point where you're saying:

While at the same time saying

I find it hard to reconcile them but I suppose it's easy when you accept that- if God were real, you still wouldn't know. Or something.

Hitchikers guide to the galaxy discusses that with the babel fish paradox, if it makes you feel better hell isnt real (its fucking Gehenna) actual hell is a greek myth, Satan literally means the antagonist and well most of our religious versions of God are extremely far off if he does exist. Even the depictions of angels are far off when you consider the biblical description makes them out to be aliens that will drive you insane if you look at them in there true form. Then you have ancient paganism where human beings themselves can become gods (Odin dates back to a man in 700bc) and nature is its own supreme being but that's a subject for another time.

Hades isn't qualitatively the same as Hell though.
Only retarded Jehova's Witnesses don't believe in Hell as a place of punishment

Don't remember any of this.