Cpu cooling options

So I know that you can use a typical heat sink with fan setup. That whats always been used and it gets the job done. Now people are using water cooling using mineral oil, I've heard it effective and efficient. Irregardless it is not the way I want to go, now ive seen videos of people attaching titanium buckets over their cpu's heatsink and throwing dry ice in there for over clocking purposes. This got me to think though, can I use a fish tank ice probe to cool my cpu?

isn't that just a peltier cooler? if so yeah but it needs a really good heatsink to pull away the heat it makes on the outside

>>>Holla Forums

You know maybe the board wouldn't be so dead if people weren't pushed away by autits whenever it isn't the same weekly discussion we have about Linux distros, Thinkpads, or meme programming languages

Don't know what an ice probe is, but I do know something about peltiers.
Peltiers "transport" heat from the cold to the hot side, but generate additional heat in the process.
End result is that you need an even bigger cooler to keep the peltier cool.
The idea behind using peltiers would be the tradeoff of having better heat transfer away from the die, due to the bigger temperature difference, versus requiring more cooling overall.

Yeah, so much better having japanese cartoon threads and video game threads.

Though your thread is more tech than video games.

If you have a low powered CPU you could use this thing.

Yes you could, but you would basically need a separate radiator or even larger heatsink to cool the hot side down.
It could potentially be good if you create an external water cooling unit but it will not be "efficient", peltiers are power hungry fuckers.

Titanium is one of the worst materials to conduct heat from you dingus, did you mean copper?

That said, I use a Corsair H70 and it's shit. Cooling okay, but when it gets hot it rattles like a old Japanese car.

I have a shitty little pentium d in an xps 410 that i wanted to trash with an overclock experiment. I was just wondering if anyone has seen anything like this done. In post i stated its a fish tank cooling device. I was curious if there was a way to make a half aluminum half titanium heat sink where i have the probe cooling the titanium and aluminum takes most of the heat dissipated by a fan and the ice probe.

My metal properties are a little out of date, i was thinking titanium because ive seen it used on jetboils. A portable propane burner, I was just mainly throwing out ideas. I could buy this i just figured it would be more fun to make this. I could just go ask Hackaday but you guys were my first thought.

The truly crazy option is liquid nitrogen, but that's overkill. Refrigerated water should be pretty much as good. Just get a standard water cooling setup, and then stick the cold leg of an old air conditioner or fridge into the water tank.

For practical uses you never want to cool more than 5°C lower than ambient temperature unless you are willing to deal with condensation.

we need to bring back monthly language threads tbh

If you submerge your computer in mineral oil that stops being a problem :-).

actually even at normal temperatures water will pool at the bottom, I would think it would be wise to have a pump down at the bottom with a sensor to know when it's conducting electricity to pump out any water

If the oil itself isn't (much) below room temperature, there won't be any condensation. Its function here is not to cool, but to isolate sub-dewpoint cold parts from the air.

I've always wanted to set one up but have always heard of water pooling and leaks, these 2 things always turned me off, I thought it would have to be a closed system to not have issues with water pooling. good to know

cooling your shit with void is only thing that can be considered overkill

749cfm Dayton Blower. Screwed it right on top of the case. It's loud as fuck and also fuck you.

Get some Delta fans for the CPU cooler too while your at it, kek.

Yeah, just seal the tank and cool the mineral oil directly. Use a refrigerator and get that oil down to a few degrees. If you want to go sub-zero you probably should switch to kerosene or something that won't thicken up as much

If you guys had the money, would you risk damage by condensation by going phase change cooling?

No, I'd just do chilled water. Far simpler to deal with, and doesn't require me to make my own cooling blocks

It's not that easy to seal it completely. You still need to route cables out of it.

The advantage of using a separate cooler underneath the oil is that the oil can be kept at room temperature and safe from condensation.

If it's chilled significantly below the room temperature, you'll still have condensation on the tubes and the waterblock, genius.

someone should create a dome shaped heatsink with a chimney at the top.

Water cooling's appeal comes from being able to transfer heat to a medium that is easier to transfer heat to and from than both air and metal then desperately ventilating it while pushing that heat away from the cpu itself.
What you can do is add an active cooling step to a watercooling setup, make sure the active cooler is outside of your computer case (it's going to condense water and start dripping wet) and then you should also add a temperature-measuring probe into the water cooling loop and another outside to make sure things aren't below room temp or they'll condense water and kill your PC. Sounds scary but can easily be done safely, the end result would be heavily decreased computer part temps aswell as room temps and even decreased humidity in your room.
Honestly I'm surprised nobody ever put out a working product.

greetings fellow oldfag