What is the best programming language and why is it Rust?

What is the best programming language and why is it Rust?

It's basically memory-safe C. Can't get any better than that.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/25640/files
internals.rust-lang.org/t/diversity-on-the-governance-teams/2048
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-452/product_id-3264/opec-1/Mozilla-Firefox.html
cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-33/product_id-47/opec-1/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Rust is basically OCaml and C++ glued together

MUH PROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONOUNS
github.com/rust-lang/rust/pull/25640/files

The dining philosophers problem setup is quoted from C. A. R. Hoare's
"Communicating Sequential Processes." This is not the paper in which
the problem originated, nor does the example use the solution from
Hoare's paper. Furthermore, the quoted example uses forks and pasta,
and it doesn't make much sense to need two forks to eat; the formulation
of this problem that I am most familiar with uses chopsticks, which
makes much more sense.

In addition, the quoted example uses male pronouns, the rest of the
article uses singular "they", and refers to the philosophers with just
numbers at first, but then goes on to use five '''Western European male
philosophers'''.

Since the particular quotation is not essential, the use of forks is not
particularly sensible, and to increase the diversity of philosophers,
simply rewrite the statement of the problem with original text. Use the
appropriate pronouns for the philosophers referred to, but continue to
use singular "they" when talking about an unspecified philosopher.

Diversity on the governance teams

internals.rust-lang.org/t/diversity-on-the-governance-teams/2048

A thread of cuckoldry and guilty white liberals.

Rust sucks because:

Safety
API design and the type system
Toolchain

Has anyone been following what Jonathan Blow is doing with his new language?

I've been vaguely paying attention and he talks a lot about how almost all software is incredibly slow compared to what they could be and how most modern programming practices are harmful, and C++ is a relic from the time when people didn't really know how things should be done. It sounds like what he's doing is basically a C++ replacement aimed to help competent programmers be as effective as they can be, while also making it somehow easy to get things done quickly or simply.

He mentioned Rust, D, and Go as potential C++ replacement languages, but opted out to make a new language because all those 3 have their own problems (e.g. garbage collection and Rust's excessive safety).

I don't know enough about computer science to be able to tell how legit his case is, but he sounds very convincing.

Dupe thread. There's already a thread for fringe programming languages over at

Rust is good but let's make it more friendly for women to code in ehehehe

We just want C with some small changes/addition.

Daily reminder that NTPsec seriously tried to evaluate rust and found out that it couldn't even do NTP.

Rust is trash.

>I guess ten vulnerabilities a month isn't that bad!

cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-452/product_id-3264/opec-1/Mozilla-Firefox.html

cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-33/product_id-47/opec-1/Linux-Linux-Kernel.html

Cfags BTFO
Then how do you explain all the shit in the linux kernel which was supposedly written by good programmers.

C never ever

Jesus Christ this is so pathetic.
This language is DOA.

It looks like Linus Torvalds crossdressing.

I wonder if it would be possible to destroy Rust by pretending to be language SJWs and pushing for the IRC and documentation to cater to every language and not just English.
You could quit easily make the argument that predominance of English throughout the Rust community is the greatest barrier to inclusion than anything.

You could even use this to attack the language itself. It's use of the Latin alphabet is highly supremacist and logic notation is highly supremacist.
If they point out that such idioms are used because they are already well established in programming, you could point out that they are contributing to the dominance of western patriarchal culture etc...

How in the fuck can you be able not to do something in a Turing conplete language?

Would you?

Better idea:
claim the rust syntax is exclusive for non qwerty users (it really is)
Tell them to check their qwerty privilege and watch them restructure the language.

Let me put this into terms that you can all understand:

C = Usenet
C++ = Facebook
Rust = Reddit
Nim = 4chan

And you expect me to use Nim?

he is a whiny sjw egomaniac

fucking LOL

He's a more competent programmer than you can ever hope to be.

So C++, Rust and Nim are all basically the same?

hello jon. the witness is garbage. why did it take so long btw?

kill yourself

You "can" but doing so is like writing webapps in assembly, just why?

Handling sockets is best done with the tokio framework! What the fuck is epoll says Rust, who cares if it's not core? WE HAVE CARGO.

Rust will do to systems programming as node has done for web programming.

k. nice reddit spacing fag

They made the entire 3D game engine from scratch and the team was only a couple people.

I guess you have the power of cairvoyance since you know what the code is like.

At least part your autism was related to the language in question this time, even if completely void of meaning.

wow that is so smart. why doesn't everyone make a new engine everytime?

So he's a shit Casey Muratori copycat?

For someone who pays so much attention to his livestreams that you can tell what the source code is like, you sure don't seem to like him.

no shit

not really. blowhard only streams to get his dick sucked by his fans.

Then why do you watch his streams so much?

What did he mean by that?
Nim is a procedural language, sort of Pascal with modernized features, also it tries to mimic Python with this ugly off-side rule, in order to appeal to normies of course.

Could have been a thing, unfortunately it was hijacked by SJW and I am not ever going to touch it now.

It seems like it's got some great features for writing faster code more easily (like the AoS SoA thing) and some of the syntax seems neat, but we'll see how it turns out.

(nice quads, you been working out?)
Damn, apparently Ada doesn't have good support for epoll/kqueue either... and people wonder why we're still stick with C.

Fucked up post numbers.

sage

sage

sage

You say that as if you couldn't just use bindings.
As expected from a know-nothing ledittor. Tokio is a high level, abstract library. Efficiency isn't it's strength, but for most use cases this is enough. Tokio is built on mio, which is the actual go-to library for low overhead concurrency.
Yeah, because C's stdlib is so rich, amirite. :^)

If you cast a struct to another incompatible struct, that's obviously wrong. You'll need to implement operator overloading or create a function to convert it. Don't they teach logic in schools nowadays?

Of course not, faggot.

That second picture..

That thing is stuff of nightmares.

Woah, did you just objectify a sentient being? People like you are precisely why we need CoC's in the first place. Because of you, I'm going to donate to "trans-black women code 2040".

What are you talking about? He's not that bad. At least he takes care good of his hair and skin.

gay dramz thread

I don't know if you realize this, but all this incessant shilling is making me (and apparently others) despise Rust. Same thing happened with Python back in early part of this millenium. I still haven't touched Python, and it's looking like the same will happen with Rust. If I want something close to C but newer, I'll just use D instead.