BTAS Thread

I've been watching the series for the first time since I was a kid, and figured I might as well make a thread about it so I have somewhere to post my rantings. Have some of the DVD special features as well.

Other urls found in this thread:

dcau.wikia.com/wiki/Baby-Doll
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The major thing is that Hamil's Joker is definitely not that great when it started out with. He's does a good job, but he's honestly one of the weakest recurring villains early on. He's getting better (currently starting volume 3), but when you compare him to shit like Clayface his episodes really aren't that great. I'm not sure to what degree it's the animation versus his voice acting, but there definitely feels like there's a disconnect.

Also, the show is sometimes too dark (as stupid as that sounds) with too little contrast. Every once in awhile I'm stuck starting at a solid black screen that has one character on it

My favorite thing about the show is how it really stresses the "master of disguise" aspect of Batman. Pretty much once every 3 episodes, Bruce goes deep undercover for information. I honestly can't remember the last time I saw Batman going into disguise in comics, movies or anything.

I'm fucking around with webm settings to get shit to fit onto the site, ignore the varying quality and resolution

I think that's mostly got to do with the episodes they wrote for him. Christmas With Joker, Be a Clown, and Last Laugh are pretty meh episodes with equally meh animation. I'd say since Joker's Favor is when they started giving him good episodes.

Another complaint I have about the Joker is how in earlier episodes with Harley, he treats her fairly nicely, especially in comparison to his other henchmen. And as soon as the Harley and Ivy comes around he's a complete asshole to her. It looks to me like everyone took a look at only that episode and decided that was the basis for their relationship. It's pretty annoying to me.

Unrelated to BTAS specifically, can someone tell me what point in time Talia became the designated love interest for Batman instead of Catwoman?

The Joker is rather weak in BTAS, as are many of Batman rogues. I think a lot of it was because the BTAS team were still trying to figure out the characters. There was a lot of experimentation. It wasn't until the third season and The New Batman Adventures that they finally had things mostly nailed down (which inevitably lead to Brave And The Bold).

Though I think one of the biggest wastes in BTAS was Paul Williams as the Penguin. His performance is amazing, but most of his episodes are woefully mediocre.

That's because back then, Harley was just his moll. Just a pretty bimbo who acts cute.

Actually, if you look at Dini's initial design for Harley, she looks a lot like Queenie, the Joker's first moll in the 60's TV Show.

9 months before Damian came along.

So far I've loved The Penguin episodes, but I suppose it really is because Williams is that fucking good as him. I love Penguin whenever he's on screen, but the only episode of his I can remember is the one where he gets invited to the party only to be laughed at. Also, more poeple need to copy BTAS Penguin. He's by far the best rendition I've seen.

I hope when you said you liked every Penguin episode, you either skipped or erased I've Got Batman in my Basement from your memory.

I forgot about that one. I don't think it's the worst episode of the series like a lot of other people seem to, but it is pretty bad.

Christ, speaking of bad episodes, how come no one ever mentions Baby Doll? That's by far the worst one in this entire fucking show.

He has his moments in Basement.

I hate how nowadays villains henchmen are disposable shits who get treaded on by their boss. I miss how they were portrayed in this show, where they actually liked their boss's craziness and liked working for the guy.

Penguin himself is always fantastic, but the episodes he's in are often not that great.

That's because, despite their eccentricity, working for crooks like the Riddler usually turned a profit.

But the Riddler perks pales in comparison to how well the Joker treats his goons(or used to).

There's a game called No One Live Forever. If you sneak around and eavesdrop you can hear several henchmen talking about their daily life or some wacky conversation.

You mean the villain Baby Doll? dcau.wikia.com/wiki/Baby-Doll

The first episode she's in is titled "Baby Doll"

Anyone have a torrent of the full series?

Yes I'm aware I just don't get why thinks its bad episode and how its related to the Penguin.

Have another DVD special. Maybe when I'm done with this I'll upload the episodes that have director commentary.

I was just saying that Baby Doll was an awful episode, and much worse than "Batman in my basement," which people often call the worst.

Ah ok then. Personally I liked Baby Doll episode wo maybe thats my bias.

If I'd just read the script I might have been ok with it, but Baby Doll's voice was cancer upon the ears.

Well, she was supposed to be annoying all around.

Her TV persona was typical gimmick character that lots of people inadvertently hate. (Think of ALF, but human.) The whole tragedy of the episode that even Baby Doll hated that persona because that's all everyone saw of her. An annoying brat, not an adult woman.

But she gets better, after getting some of that crocodile dick.

And there's the best henchmen duo ever.

Haven't gotten to her second episode, but I have gotten to the start of the "New Adventures of Batman."

Why did they ruin Freeze so badly in a single episode?

The show jumped the shark when it gets to NAoB. Expect plenty more disappointment.

At least he gets a good send-off episode in Batman Beyond. Are you planning on watching that after you get through BTAS, user?

I'm going through the whole DCAU. I've seen Beyond and JLU in their entirety, but I haven't seen the other things since I was a kid.

Fuck, I was hoping to have some fun with the whole Batfamily all together.

Because he is a reoccurring rogue.

You see, introducing popsicle Nora was probably the worst mistake BTAS ever made. It completely negated any reason for Mr. Freeze to ever return, which was a big problem since he's a popular villain. On a program like Batman, you just can't have a major rogue float off into the sunset forever with his glacier gal. He would be have to come back.

This is why they doubled down on the horrible tragedy in TNAB. It was a blunt way to fix the mess they created with the character.

BTW, Dini actually fixed this problem with Mr. Freeze when DC revamped his origin in the 90's. He had Freeze accidentally destroy popsicle Nora in a fight with Batman, which not only solidified his motivation, but also Batman the target of his revenge instead of some CEO.

How about the Superman Animated series? Are you planning on watching that?

They didn't "fix" anything, not even in a blunt way. They went from, "Freeze may be dead, or maybe he fucked off somewhere with his Popstickle Bitch." in BTAS and turned him into "generic Saturday Morning Villain" who wants to make people sad because he is too. Healing Nora, having her marry someone else, and making Freeze lose his body all happened off screen before the episode ever happened. They could have done a lot with that material, they just completely fucked it for no reason.

Nigger I said "The whole DCAU."

That makes sense, seeing as that was the motivation of Mr. Freeze from the 1966 series, the series that gave Mr. Freeze both his name and his popularity.

Are you serious? That ending didn't move you?
Love's A Croc, now that was shit.

Freeze as they conceived him really did work best when used sparingly. That episode 'Cold Comfort', while not completely awful in of itself, ruined quite a lot of the character.

If I were writing it I'd probably use the dead wife in some way.

I think a way to make it even more tragic is stating this, and this is what I think it's the real deal:
There's really no cure for Nora, there never will be, otherwise someone, specially Freeze and Batman, would have found it already. Batman knows it, Freeze knows it, but he won't just stop trying. I think that would be really tragic, but pretty repetitive.

Jesus fuck that awful fucking Catwoman redesign

A solid ending doesn't negate 20 minutes of me wanting to carve my ears out.

The dead wife is necessary to make Freeze a good character. My issue with it, however, is that you have to write it in a way that can't be solved with Bruce just higher Freeze to research a cure under the agreement that he won't commit crime.

Fucking christ. Just yesterday I mention how thrilled I was that they made Bruce into an actual master of disguise. Start up New Adventures, and now I get this shit.

Each to his own. I thought it was a really good episode. Of course it worked best as a one off.

He had better disguises later on

I can't find any good torrents for Superman, anyone know of one?

And why is almost every redesign in New Adventures fucking awful? Joker, Catwoman, Penguin, Clayface are all pretty bad. The "Kid Robin" design is pretty good though, I'll give them that.

Have a few OC webms

Nigger what's wrong with you?

Penguin was turned into a pretty normal dude, and clayface turned into more of a "rock monster" than "droopy splooge monster" that I found more threatening.

No it isn't. In fact, it's actually to the detriment of the character in the long run. Mr. Freeze is a reoccurring villain, and with reoccurring villains, they need to be as flexible as possible so they can reappear. As such, their motivations need to be simple enough to consistently cause conflict with the hero. The dead wife needlessly complicates that formula.

Besides, Feat of Clay was a far better revenge story than Heart of Ice ever was. The only flaw of Feat of Clay was that Matt Hagen should've died at the end.

Fuck I hate that episode. We spend the entire series with Catwoman being an animal rights activist, only to throw it out the window because they needed Catwoman to be the bad girl.

Really, watch the series. That scene literally comes out of nowhere and is completely out of character for the BTAS version of Catwoman.

You're telling the guy who made a thread to rant about what he thinks of the series to watch the series. Nice.
Sarcasm aside, I'm tempeted to agree. It seems a bit out of character, but then again, Dagget did poison her and her cat.

He's always been a normal dude. Timm and Co were forced to make him look like DeVito (and Catwoman like Michelle Pfeiffer) because of Batman Returns
So you're complaining that they actually turned him into a mud monster as opposed to the pile of vomit he was previously?

Pic related. He's always been portrayed as, at least, mildly freakish.

A complicated character is hardly a bad thing, and you're a faggot for arguing otherwise. Freeze having a complicated backstory just means that any awful writer can't just pick him up and cram him into a story. Do you honestly believe Batman would be a better character if every villain boiled down to "Gotta kill the Batman," or "Lets get rich"?

How is that different from his TNBA design? The whole point of re-designing him was to bring him closer to Sprang's Penguin

I was ok with the Penguin redesign cause before they made him look like he had webbed fingers or something

The nose is significantly less pronounced, and he's got more of a gut rather than being egg shaped. It's not terribly far off, but like I said, I think a subtly grotesque Penguin is the most fun.

Timm really hated the PETA activist aspect of her character

And people wonder why comic fans love him

So, listening to the director commentary right now. They always mention how dark the show was, but apparently when they submitted the first episode, the broadcasters informed them they were reaching the legal limit allowed for how dark a show can be.

I felt the ending in Batman Arkham Knight for Freeze was actually pretty good. He got a happy ending for once.

honestly if BTAS did not exist I doubt anyone would criticize the later episodes, aside from a few of the most absolutely retarded designs. the show's batting (ha ha get it?) average was not bad at all.

catwoman was better later on even with the lousy redesign. all the early episodes with her have 'written by a cat lady' all over them. I don't even know if that's true but it sure seems that way.

Is it me or did the Joker in the New Adventures of Batman look like one of the guys from Spy vs Spy?

I think I agree. I certainly agree that most of the character designs are iffy, but NAoB still has fantastic episodes like Growing Pains and Over the Edge

I think Sean Catherine Derek wrote a lot of them. A lot of the episodes she was involved with tend to be what I call 'Social Issues Batman'. Having said that, she wrote one of my favourite episodes which was 'The Forgotten'.

I like both designs, but is The new batman adventures a continuation of the BTAS or is it's own product.
I was kinda annoyed how the jokers wanted poster in the police station didn't match up with his JL/JLU design in the Batman Beyond movie.

For reoccurring villains, yes. Yes I fucking do. The simpler the motivations of the villain, the easier it is for him to reappear to fight the hero. Save the complicated motivations for the bad-guys who don't come back and aren't slapped all over action figures, pencil cases, t-shirts, board games, etc. Bad-guys like The Blaze from Batman #69 who burned firefighters to death with a flame thrower because he blamed them for the death of his son. He died at the end of his story.

Also, you are retarded for thinking that complicated backstory prevents bad writers from including the character. In fact, I'd argue that complicated backstories for reoccurring villains ENCOURAGES bad writing, as every shit writer is going to want to copy it. Just look at every modern Two-Face appearance where they just can't get past his origin. Or for Mr. Freeze, fucking Lazara

Honestly, I feel a lot of the Penguin episodes would've worked better if they kept the original design. Williams Penguin has a certain attitude that isn't properly conveyed through mutant bird man.

Timm has good taste in that department.

Jesus christ man, first of all, your example for a "complicated character" is just a sympathetic villain, not a complicated one. You honestly believe it would have been hard to bring him back and just kill more firefighters? Secondly, you're asking that writers take his good, well written villains, and throw them in the fucking trash after one use. I can't even begin to take you seriously because you have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

Well I can't take you seriously either because you demand complex and emotionally gripping story-telling from children's characters that have been around for 77 years.

Maybe you should seek validation from another source than comic book superheroes.

Why are you even in this thread?

PS. That's exactly what I'm asking. If you're working on long-running franchises, you'd better get used to everything you making being completely disposable.

Liking something doesn't require denying the reality of what something is. I can like capes while at the same time thinking the demands for complexity and depth to be pretentious and stupid.

I accept Batman for what he is: a comic-book superhero. No more, no less.

IIRC they recast Penguin for Mystery of the Batwoman specifically because they didn't think Paul Williams fit the new design. Nobody else in the universe agrees with that decision as far as I know.

This might explain some of it but the one where Catwoman becomes a furry isn't her fault

No, they recast him because they thought he didn't match the tone they wanted for the movie.

By the way, the tone they were trying for with Mystery of The Batwoman was shit. Literal shit. And they succeeded.

Fuck Mark Hamil, Williams was the person who perfectly encapsulated his character. No one should have changed Penguin from his BTAS version pretty much ever. Bird pun Penguin is best Penguin, fuck the "edgy sociopath who is just a decent mob boss"

what did Mark Hamil have to do with that?

It's not either or. There are plenty of actors in that show that, to me, just perfectly encapsulate their characters. Kevin Conroy, Mark Hamill, Paul Williams, Michael Ansara, Adrienne Barbeau, Bob Hastings, Robert Costanzo, Richard Moll, David Warner

I was just saying that everyone always jacks off about how good of a job Mark Hamil did voicing the Joker, but most of the cast isn't given anywhere near the same credit as him. Just remember, Mark Hamil and Kevin Conroy have been doing those two characters for over 20 years because they did such a good job. Hell, the Joker will probably be mainly influenced by Hamil past any one of us is dead. But characters like The Penguin who I think was portrayed better in the show than anywhere else, got his characterization blown out pretty quickly once the series ended.

The Penguin in himself was portrayed well but he cannot carry an episode. The best episode featuring the Penguin is The Ultimate Thrill and in that he's more supporting than anything

I always thought the best Penguin episode was "Birds of a Feather," where he's legitimately intending to go straight until the high society fucks decide to make a laughing stock out of him for funsies. But maybe I'm just a man with shit taste.

Zone-tan Roxy Rocket flash animation fucking when

ah good point. Yeah the Penguin was better in the show than in other adaptations. Especially the Arkham games good God did I hate that cockney accent they gave him.

I take it she just orgasmed.

I like that episode for what it tells us about Penguin's character, his delusions about being high society and a gentleman but otherwise the episode's kind of meh.
See, the problem with the Penguin is that nobody's really done anything with him. Batman, The Joker, sometimes Catwoman or Two-Face have all been deconstructed and reconstructed countless times but the Penguin is mostly neglected. He's mostly gone unchanged. I mean, the biggest thing anybody has really done with him is when Chuck Dixon made him a Nightclub owner and sort of London gangster type.

I think if people focus more on the whole wanting to be high society but not aspect it could work. Hell, wasn't the Penguin created to be a parody of high society anyways?

If you don't remember that episode, it's nothing but 22 minutes of a crazy redhead making sexual innuendos.
"I like a man with staying power."
"I was the best he ever had"

And it's one of the best TNBA episodes

Honestly, the best thing that's probably been done with the Penguin is probably his portrayal in Gotham. At least for the first season or so, I stopped watching because the rest of the show was awful.

The problem with this is that the kind of stories you could do with this concept are very limited. It's either a 'Penguin goes straight' type story or a 'Penguin tries to run a respectable nightclub while still being a criminal' type story. The Penguin's not flexible like Batman or Joker. The reason he worked so well in The Ultimate Thrill was because he wasn't the focus. He was allowed to be sort of flat while the main villain, Roxy Rocket, was more fleshed out and rounded.

I generally agree with that. Penguin would actually make a great character to be ever present. The "Wal-Mart" of the criminal underworld that Batman can never manage to get arrested. Joker needs chemicals to make his laughing gas? Ask the Penguin. Two-Face commissions a giant penny? Call up Cobblepot. I'd change one thing about him from BTAS, and that's that he wouldn't ever directly fight Batman. He's have crafted a situation where Batman could investigate, and he'd always know what Penguin had his fingers in, but Penguin would create enough distance that he'd never be able to be convicted on it. No one would ever give up Cobblepot, because if you did, it meant every villain in Gotham would be after you for ratting out the supplier of everyone's goods.

I just finished Cult of the Cat. Christ what an awful episode. The characterization for Catwoman flipflopped a million times over the course of a 20 minute episode.

I'm surprised to see so many posts about bad episodes in this thread. Everyone jerks this series off incredibly to the point that I've hardly seen any real criticism. I like that I'm seeing some now but it's such a surprise.

As far as the first 68 episodes go, before "The New Adventures," the show is consistently pretty great. There's no more than 5 actually bad episodes throughout the first run, but once you hit "New Adventures," shit starts to get pretty volatile in quality.

I believe that was the result of British classism. The developers couldn't imagine a member of the upper class engaging in crime. Thus they made him low class.

Making The Penguin a night club owner/ mob boss never works as it takes him out of what's natural for the character. I've read a lot of Golden Age Penguin, and those stories, he's a clever criminal that's just as smart, if not smarter, than Batman. He wouldn't be satisfied sitting on his ass making money.

Which interestingly enough was addressed in the 1992 comic Batman: Penguin Triumphant.

I like the characterization of Catwoman as a flakey kleptomaniac slut even if the actual plot is stupid beyond belief

Yeah RotJ got them into trouble for being too good so they made a crap movie on purpose.

Why did they turn Dick Grayson into a bitter fucking asshole toward Bruce? There's a huge difference between "I can't work with you anymore," and "I despise you and what you stand for"

(cont) Batman is now brutalizing a small time crook in front of his wife and child without giving him a chance to answer peacefully. What the fuck.

I'll check it out. I never understood the need to make Penguin British or related to the British. I thought he wasn't British but just some crook that came from old money.

But if you read the mob boss appearances, he's still in crime. He doesn't just sit on his ass making money. The most intriguing part of his re-invention was that Batman could never catch him and send him back to prison. They still used that intelligence that was previously established.

Damn they allow that voice acting back then. Agreed, we need Zone tan doing this one.

To be honest even with all the critics toward several episodes and characters I still prefer to sit through this show compared to several superhero cartoons aired now

Maybe the writer just read Return of the Dark Knight and still influenced by how dark the comic was.

Story time when?

Everybody hated I've Got Batman in my Basement…even the production team.

Oh..that's Matches Malone. If I recall, Matches does look like Bruce Wayne with a moustache anyways. Though it's not as lazy as Wolverine's covers as Patches (just Wolvie in an eye patch) though I'm pretty sure they did a piss take of those two cover identities in that one Amalgam comic thing.

We both know that it's neither intriguing nor intelligent. It's lazy. Batman isn't matching wits with the Penguin. He's just going "oh, ok" and the Penguin goes back to doing nothing interesting until the next time he appears.

Really, that's it. The Penguin's been kicked upstairs. Reduced to set decoration as he's just "generally criminal, but not criminal enough to warrant anything beyond a couple panels". Lou Moxon, Rubert Thorne, Carmine Falcone, and any of the other mostly bland modern excuses for "mob bosses" could replace him and nothing at all would change.

Also, is that fucking Detective Comics #683 - 684? I've read those comics. It's boring stupid trash that only Chuck Dixon could've come up with. Sweet Christmas, you gt from Showcase 94' #7 where The Penguin kidnaps Commissioner Gordon's wife purely to confirm his suspicions that Batman was killed and replaced during Knightfall, to fucking Detective Comics #683 where his entire plans revolves are some asshole telling him that Batman doesn't operate during the day IN THE SPAN OF A YEAR.

Chuck Dixon is pure cancer.

We need Smug Goofy Batman back…or at least less grim and brooding Batman. Hell, remember when Batman called out Hawkman for being grim and told him to lighten up?

Yes, but they did Matches Malone beforehand in BTAS, and he actually looked different from Bruce Wayne Pic related

BTAS Bats is best bats because of that. He's still dark and brooding, but he clearly has a fun and caring side to his personality outside of drop kicking poor people at night. Embed related.

Pics don't load along side embeds apparently.

That fifth pic, now I really want to see a capeshit comic but focused on the trial process of recently captured supervillain.

I will be honest, I want to see a relationship grow between those two after that scene. A brooding revenge ridden man and a psychotic happy go lucky girl relationship make a better story.;

I believe they had a few of those in Gotham Central. I dunno for sure because I've never actually read it

I've always wanted a comic detailing how the legal system changes to accommodate masked superheroes. Congress passing a "Masked Identity" act, where superheroes in the public's good graces are given their "Super Security" that allows them to open bank accounts and appear in court as their masked alter-ego without revealing their identity. Lawyers having to prove that the dude who murdered his wife wasn't mind controlled/a skrull/alternate universe evil twin (There's an Astro City story about that one). Just showing how superheroes shake up the legal system in general, and how it changes once it becomes apparent they're going to be standard parts of society from now on.

Right now, nigger

I love that episode.

Showcase 94' #7

Jesus christ, Alfred looks like his mother bungee jumped when he was in the womb and the rope dug into his face

Pretty great rendition of Cobblepot. My only two issues are him being a genuine threat to Batman in a fight, and him threatening and yelling at his underlings when Batman fucks up their plans. IN my mind, Penguin seems like the kind of guy who would understand that getting your teeth kicked in by Batman is just part of the cost of doing business in Gotham, like the criminal version of a government tax. Not sure how to feel about a version of Gordon that goes off the rails, though.

I liked the ending but the story was sort of 'eh'

Fuck, "Legend of the Dark Knight" is a pretty great episode. The one that makes fun of the different iterations of Batman. It parodies the Adam West version, then the Frank Miller edge fest. What's great is that the stupidly edgy Batman's art style looks almost exactly like what they would do with Batman Beyond once they started that show.

It actually looks like a Gurren Lagann title card

Hell, they even poke fun at Joel Schumaker's Batman films.

Well, it was just after Knightfall. Jean Paul Valley was Batman. Neither Batman nor Robin informed Gordon of the switch, but he must've suspected.

This segment was the birth of Batman the Brave and the Bold.

Because both were done by James Tucker

He definitely suspected because Jean Paul didn't disappear into the night when Gordon turned his back like Bruce does.

I think that's what he meant by 'it parodies the Adam West version'. Apparently our new friend has never heard of Dick Sprang

I didn't know that was his real name. Was that an intentional Jean Claude Van Damme pun?

I can't into reading the comics that old. I tried it once with the original X-men comics, and the writing was way too awful for me to do. I know of Dick Sprang, but I generally associate the campy old shit immediately with the Adam West show.

-Girls Night out
Solid episode, it was a lot of fun. I'm also thankful that the entire episode went by without anyone bringing up the fact that Supergirl and Batgirl were women, people only point out that they'd rather have the more experienced heroes handling the situation.

Aw yeah thank you user you da best.

Mad Love was a great episode, but I just don't like it when the Joker is COMPLETELY callous and uncaring toward Harley. But who am I to argue with the guys that created the character?

Have some more OC. Maybe I'll touch it up and do a better job when I'm back on my real computer.

It's in his character. The Joker doesn't give a fuck about anyone but himself.

It's not out of character by any means, but I would rather they portray the Joker as having a slight attachment to Harley. Even in my version of the Joker he still might kick Harley out of the window, but the flower he sends back to her would have been a genuine "Ok maybe I do miss you" gesture.

Leto Joker actual seems to genuinely care for her.

It's like a fucking monkey paw.

Welcome to life.

And he also happens to be the worst live action Joker, where the writers missed his personality completely and everything that makes him a fun character in the first place. That whole movie is a shitshow.

He acts exactly like a member of the Joker Gang from Batman Beyond is the funny part. A normal gangster who stole the Joker's style.

That'd be such a twist if the real Joker showed up and just shot him dead then beat Harley to submission. That'd be nice.

They seem more content with fucking up their films by trying desperately to be like the Marvel MCU, somehow failing at that as well. We're three movies in, and they've all been shit. I see them just cancelling the whole thing and rebooting happening first.

If only. It's like a Bay film. They're shit but people see them out of curiosity or the inability to think.

Trips don't lie. I'm not against DC trying to create a cinematic universe, everyone wants in on the gravy train that Marvel has going on. The issue is they want the gravy train without laying down the tracks. Marvel had a ton of movies that set up the universe, but all stood alone on their own merits, even if some of them weren't that great. DC on the other hand planned out a decade of movies, and doesn't care about any of them being good. As terrible as the Green Lantern movie was, at least they realized that was a terrible starting point for a whole universe.
Despite all that, I have a small bit of hope. Affleck is actually a huge fanboy, and was actually crushed by how awful BvS was. Plus, he's been given a ton of creative control for his Batman movie after the failures of the other movies. I'm not expecting a comeback, but if anything it going to turn around the hype train of industrial waste that is the DC/WB movies, it's going to be the Batman or Wonder Woman movie. if they can't make a solid one (or find a winning formula) by then, they're fucked.

All right, finally finished every episode of BTAS. Overall it's a 8/10. Original BTAS getting a 9/10, while New Adventures gets a 7/10.
Best Overall Villain: Scar Face
Best Overall Batfamily: Tim Drake
New Adventures
Scarecrow's redesign was amazing, Batgirl's was solid, and everyone else was not good or trash
Bullock was turned into a shitty dumbass which was awful
Has some of the worst episodes, but also had some very iconic ones. Overall not as terrible as you'd think.
Charcterization goes haphazard at times
Original BTAS
Literally too dark at times (I always assumed people meant thematically)
Very few bad episodes, but the bad episodes were worse than anything in New Adventures
Fantastic job with every villain (as we all know).
Perfect amalgamation of all previous versions of Batman

Well, I started watching Brave and the Bold, due to how long it was taking the Superman show to download. And I've got to say, after listening to the director's commentary for BTAS, it's amazing how much that show did to further cartoons as an artform. Back when they made that show, actual guns were almost never allowed in shows. You weren't allowed to point guns at a camera, and you weren't ever allowed to say the word "killed," or "death," you could only say "destroyed," or something else non-comittal. But you start up even the first episode of Brave and the Bold, and even though it's a very cheesy and light hearted animated series, they're allowed to get away with villains threatening to "kill," and things like that. It really is amazing.

Surprised thats what Black Mask used to look like. I didn't know his mask was a black face not a black skull.

By the by, if you are planning on watching S:TAS, take a gander at The Late Mr. Kent. It's pretty good episode and an insight into Clark Kent himself.

Wow James Tucker really has a thing for the old school silver age stuff doesn't he?

I'd love that and Lex Luthor coming in and beating up the movie Lex Luthor and taking his place.

I hope its good. I feel that these movies laid such a weak foundation for the DCEU that it will never hold.

That might actually be how to salvage modern Harley. Having her be Batman's sidekick could be incredibly interesting. Bats might take her on as a "rehabilitation" program, and he'd have to juggle managing a possible psychotic break from his partner, while also hiding his identity from her. That's something I'd really like to read.

Or maybe Dad Luthor being the real real Luthor from now on!

shit move to be honest
it makes him far less sympathetic and merely maxes an excuse to keep bringing him back
the movie was decent

and hopefully he will be played by Brian Cranston.

Cranston would make such an amazing Luthor, holy shit. Fuck this Jesse Einsenberg "I need to poopoo" version of Luthor.

Its a shame that it got the shaft

He's tok busy play Zordon though.

too*

Probably did on the cheap too

Ever watch Almost Got 'Im?

Yes, I finished the series by this point. Almost Got 'Im was way up there

And thus were we given the biggest "Poor Victor" moment of the comics. The first bad one.

Care to storytime that?

I remember the pilot episode being very different

Ok.

Thanks

So, his plan is leave jail, ruin somebody's life, and return to jail? Kinda back to the start though.

The plan is more complex than that. First, he got his ex-friend to buy his way into high society. Then he pulled said ex-friend along enough to make him complicit in the scheme, eventually damning him by giving him the backdoor password so that he would get the brunt of the blame. Finally, he'd top it off with an attempted murder charge for said ex-friend, a reduced sentence for himself, and another backdoor which would allow him to continue making money without anyone being the wiser.

It's as Batman said, plans within plans. He would've gotten away with if Batman wasn't involved.

Which 'pilot' episode? On Leather Wings?

High society, revenge on an ex-friend, and endless liquid cash. Well, two out of three still is a win.

The second backdoor and its closure feels a bit comics-codey, but it leaves no loose ends so whatever.

That last part needed more establishment since it really sets the tone for the finale.

Penguin is fucking people over just because he can.

So I finally took time to read (save those comics). My review:

Pretty simple I say. Not a big crime, not something complicated, even the "daylight = no Batman" tactic is not really that plausible. But still a fun read. The only good part is the last part.

I actually like this one. Penguin is a bored ex-con wanting to play the game with Batman for the last time. Well written and actually pretty believeable. I'm not sure about the part when he denied the recorded tape, is Batman really need to be in court to testify for that one?

Is that Azrael? Also Penguin got sick of missing Batman is kinda silly. He's not the type that got Stockholm Syndrome over batsy.

So his tactic is simply insider trading? not that bad but the last part is kinda iffy. His plan is already working well but why incapacitate Batman when he can become his greatest witness for the entire scam? Best story though.