What went right?

What went right?

The first few seasons.

Nothing, not a single episode was good.

It spawned the vastly superior American Dad, but that turned to shit after season 5, and even then 1/3rd of the episodes was stupid political garbage.

Seth got to fund his side projects

Seth MacFarlane made 3 fucking animated sitcoms about a dysfunctional family in a row. Ted was actually pretty funny and decently done,… and then they made Ted 2. It's like MacFarlane could make decent things and not fuck them up, but then he decides to just flanderize the fuck out of anything and everything.

2 tru

Milking is a terrible motivation.

I bet most of the original run's cult appeal came from it being buried by the network

He probably only agreed to do Ted 2 if he could make A Million Ways to Die in the West, a movie possibly even more self-indulgent than Ted

But what makes Family Guy so bad? Whenever I see an episode, I have a giggle, which isn't saying much considering it's not hard to make me laugh, but at least it isn't modern Simpsons.

Family Guy is absurd. Many people don't like absurd humor, but that doesn't make absurd humor bad. Fuck, in a way, sometimes they use the same joke tactics as Holla Forums humor, aka "they fucking said it (on antenna), the absolute madmen".

It's been a while since I've seen Family guy but the one turn off for me was when they try to do politics. There's this one episode I remember where Peter saves the owner of a fast food restaraunt from a fire. So in gratitude the owner allows Peter to eat as many hamburgers as he wants for free. Peter is depressed because he lost his beard in the fire so he eats so many hamburgers he gets a seizure and is fucked up as a result. Peter blames the restaraunt but Brian tells him its his own fault for eating so many burgers to begin with. So they investigate the restaraunt headquarters and it turns into this animal rights thing and they compare the slaughter of cows to the holocaust. Seriously, the politics could get really preachy. Though I do the road to movies with Brian and Stewie. And the Star Wars parodies.

Modern Family guy does these things:
1) Rehashes old jokes
2) Use gross out, or shock humor, but not in a really funny way, and usually with poor timing
3) It usually takes 3 minutes for them to get a joke to land, and even then it's only chucleworthy
4) Random humor. Old family guy had random humor, but it was used to subvert audience expectations. You'd expect a gag to go one way, or maybe the opposite, but instead you'd get some gag that comes completely out of nowhere. Nowadays, the random humor feels like it's shoved in order to either pad out runtimes, or because the writers can't think of anything funny.
5) Too much politics. Family guy had always been political, but they kept it to a couple snarky comments every 3-6 episodes. Nowadays every fourth episode of family guy has at least one long segment, or an entire episode, dedicated to preaching the writer's stupid politics. Even American Dad had more political tact than family guy does.
6) Uses a joke that goes way too long. They'll take one joke, that may be funny, but then it'll just keep going and going and going, for like 1-2 minutes and you just want it to stop

You forgot thinking pop culture references are inherently funny

Yes i did forget they did godawful pop culture references. Everything else was so much worse, and i haven't seen the show in forever, that they completely slipped my mind.

/thread

Still better than American Dad, Archer, Bob's Burgers, and South Park.

Don't forget Seth McFarlanes love boner for the 80's.

You take that back.
Archer is really well done, and proof that good adult animation exists and can be done.

Rest of your list is fine, assuming you leave South Park pre-season 10 out of it.

Archer S5 was decent, but not great. 6 was better, 7 was alright and I have little hope that 8 will actually be good.

Seth is good when he's not in full creative control. His humor is shit and he should never be the writer. However, he's a decent voice actor, singer, and to an extent depending on the role and the direction given, actor.
Earlier today I was listening to a version of Baby It's Cold Outside on the radio and I didn't even realize the guy singing was Seth MacFarlane until the radio hosts laughed about it at the end. It's surprising to see how halfway decent he is when he's not writing his own crap about contracting AIDs and seeing boobies.

Yeah he's a damn good singer.

I think Bob's Burgers = Family Guy. I don't want to say one is better than the other because both are radically different cartoons. BB tries to be more restrained I think. My one problem with Bob's Burgers is >Kristen Shaal

Seth is actually funny.

His writers are not.

When it's just Seth it's funny.

when it's his writers less so.

American Dad being controlled by Seth is a prime example

I still laugh at some jokes but, all in all I hate when it gets "woke" like any stand up and/or comedy that tries to seem deep but isn't.

but I do like American Dad, Cleveland Show Second and then Family Goy.

You mean Patriotic Dad, Token Black Family and then Family Jew

No

I

Mean

American Dad, Family Guy, Cleveland Show

Reddit

spacing

This.
/thread

Let's not forget this piece of shit was made by one of the writers on Family Guy.

Thankfully it only lasted for 13 episodes.

I think it was mostly the other creators that made AD watchable

It's like all MacFarlane characters invariably become a self parody or Cliché of themselves over time. I'm not sure how but ATHF managed to have better consistancy and character development than Simpsons, South Park, or any MacFarlane creation.
Fuck sitcom families, and swearing children can piss off, Aqua Teen was about three brothers from Jersey and their neighbor
Their movie was better as well.

tbh I think the real flaws of Family Guy are:
- Thin, uninteresting and downright retarded plots that often just feel like set ups for cutaway gags
- All characters are horrible people but we're expected to care about them
- Humor is too obvious, repetitive and sometimes just repulsive
- Overlong fight/action scenes that aren't funny nor exciting (since we know the main characters aren't in any real danger)

I agree with that Seth is best when given limited control. I still think American Dad was decent for a good couple of seasons despite some liberal-wank episodes here and there. And Ted and the first three seasons of Family Guy were trashy but at least they were earnest.

Is just randomly bringing up something really "set-up"?

Familly guy doesn't care about it's characters, they're only vehicles for gags. Any time they try to make you have sympathy with them, it's just so that they can have a "happy ending where a character learns a lesson", so it's half assed.

didn't mean to hit reply so soon

They don't really expect you to care about the charactes.

I still laugh at family guy today, so I can't really complain. It's low-brow and lazy but I'll be damned if it doesn't accomplish its intended purpose most of the time.

i just watched sing tonight and i thought that that mouse was a pretty food singer
then a person who watched it with me told me those songs were pretty easy to sing, so im not sure

He must have gotten three albums out his obvious genuine enthusiasm for all things Rat Pack

It was a Simpsonsalike that arrived just as The Simpsons was going to shit.

And not long after it decided to jump into a cliff like the Simpsons did.

It really says something when The Cleveland Show fell into the same trap Family Guy did, thinking that random cutaway gags, dead internet memes, stereotypes and naming dropping random famous people's names somehow equals comedy.

Not to mention the supporting cast sucked, Lester was your standard redneck, Tim the bear was the annoying Christ fag, Holt's only purpose was to spout random pop culture references that have nothing to do with the plot and Terry was so bland that the writers thought tuning him gay might help, it didn't.

And no Seth, Rallo is not the next Stewie, so instead of wasting time giving him subplots that went nowhere you should have tried making the show funnier.

The only good thing was David Lynch as the Bartender and all the crazy surreal gags he did.

The Simpsons proved that two decades earlier.

How the fuck did they get David Lynch

Why do you

type like

this?

They already canned it?

Yesum

To piss off a cunt that keep complaining about "reddit spacing" even when there's none.

Was it due to the ratings?

Seth has a lot of connections. They even got Bryan Cranston to voice Doctor Fist in the fourth season.

Speaking of which, did his Cosmos reboot get shitcanned?

Nah, it was wildly popular, it was just too progressive to keep airing.

TBH it makes you look like a retard with a seizure problem so it is backfiring somewhat.

It's not even me who posted those posts. But yeah go ahead insult people because your irrational hatred toward the so called "Reddit spacing" you assburger cunt. You need to spend your free time before the next welfare check.

Honestly I watched a few episodes and they were funny at first, but the novelty died pretty quickly. I'm not familiar with anything after the first season, but s1 of family guy is better than s20 of simpsons or whatever

HOW?

You say that as if it's hard to be better than Zombie Simpsons…

They greenlit most of them before airing

Why?

Fox was on a Seth McFarlene high

it's amazing how it managed to be comedy gold when you were 13-16yo in the mid-late 00s even though you weren't old enough to get the references

To be fair 13-16 y/o demographics are easy to please with edgy or offensive humor.

Oddly enough the cut away are the only good parts.

Oddly enough they still keep him

No wonder why they fail

Even though they got rid off both American Dad and The Cleveland Show, guess they figured Seth was only good for Family Guy.

Haven't watched south park past like season 8. Whats gone wrong with the newest seasons?

Calm down autist.
Also why were you replying to a post asking a poster about his posting style if you weren't the poster in question?
I think you got fucking told, and now you're butthurt that being a retard didn't net you any upvotes.

WTF are you talking about? Upvotes? This is Holla Forums you moron. Are you just got back from Reddit/Imgur/funnyjunk you still have their cum stuck in your eyes?

Jesus, you are new.

I bet you don't even have Holla Forums gold.

I don't know who's rusing who anymore.

This is a McFarlane thread, of course it went to shit sooner or later.