Modern web dev languages

Take a look at bitbucket, it is written in Java.
If you would have to create something like bitbucket today, which language would you use?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jCPP2A9mHtM
aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit
my-codeworks.com/blog/2015/css3-proven-to-be-turing-complete
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think most websites use python.

some high performance websites use php
like Holla Forums

Erlang

yeah you would use php with it obviously, youtube for example uses python.

What is a modern web dev language? What is so wrong with Java or Python or Javascript (Nodejs) that you need a new programming language that's dedicated to web site development?

2017 YEAR OF FUNCTIONAL PROGRAMMING
r-rite?

i would use rust of course

upvoted

I've heard that reddit used to be written in lisp.

In the beginning it was, then they moved to Python because they could not find any programmers who knew lisp well enough.

maybe because they all had a lisp and no one could understand what the hell they were saying.

Any language you want with CGI. I'm partial to C (but you're gonna have to make or use some template engine).

Scala
youtube.com/watch?v=jCPP2A9mHtM

We already have mainstream languages, but as long as there is choice, opinion, and let's not forget: special snowflakes, and superiority complexes, there will always be a horde of less popular languages deemed better.

You won't find consensus here, because nobody here agrees with each other except for disliking what is mainstream.

Wrong. They moved to Python because it "had less code that ran faster and was far easier to read and maintain."

aaronsw.com/weblog/rewritingreddit

Now for the red pill. Paul Graham's essays about Lisp are all lies to throw off the competition.

oh wow, the language involved in the rewrite must be amazing!

Too many curryniggers getting wise to it. You need to keep shifting frameworks so they never catch up.

Lol we're on angular4 now.

The only "web dev language" is HTML you fucking nigtig. Anyone who insists otherwise is an insufferable faggot.

Unless you bloat yourself with frameworks nodejs is the most useless thing for serving webpages I have ever seen.

How did this thing ever get off the ground? Tell me, people who use it, why?

People want to write web applications with Javascript.

object oriented is totally happening guise

And every new desktop application, apparently. Making dogshit bloated graphical interfaces in E L E C T R O N is the big new thing now.

HTML is not a programming language. Its a markup language

I ask the same thing every day. Not just about javascript and the associated framework cancer, but also about PHP, C and UNIX. The ability of the software industry to latch on to a pile of absolute shit and then engage in collective turd polishing for decades afterwards is staggering.

I feel the same way. All the time I'm constantly astounded by how much programmers are willing to deal with terrible, awful shit. Almost nobody wants to make or work with anything that's actually good or pleasant to use.

What variant of Lisp was it?
That for sure wasn't SBCL nor Racket, it must have been special snowflake Lisp.

you just had to be that guy. there are no programming languages for the web, such a concept is absurd, and if your language can only be used in a web environment it should be considered severely crippled.
something like perl that had regex and string interpolation was considered a web language, but it's almost 100% useless since every time you use the "convenience" of the two said features you're introducing all kinds of vulnerabilities by writing a shoddy parser (regex) or injection vulnerabilities (interpolation)
disregarding all that, the web is mainly only useful for serving static HTML files. almost everything that calls itself a "web application" is memeware

Eh? Perl has actual parser modules, you're not forced to use regex. The language isn't any more "useless" than any other scripting shits. People don't like it because it gives you lots of freedom, and the idiots can't handle that. They use meme languages because they don't actually know how to code, only memorized a few memes and patterns that they rehash incessantly.

Perl will rise again with Perl6

Sensible people don't like Perl because they understand the value of maintainability, and Perl tends to be a write-only language.

For u. But thousands of Perl projects and modules have been successfully maintained over the past decades. It's just not idiot-friendly. The idiots are the ones who write shit, unmaintainable code and then wonder why they can't even understand their own crap a few months later.

This.
Retards tout python as the best language because it forces you to do everything the language wants you to.
Python is holding your hand and therefore perfect for "programmers".
Smart people prefer Perl and C.

AHEM

my-codeworks.com/blog/2015/css3-proven-to-be-turing-complete

Yes, rule 110 is turing complete. However any use of Rule 110 is not a practical way to write a practical computer program; this CSS3 implementation is no exception.

Nim

I didn't say Perl is useless. I am saying Perl isn't any more useful as a "web language" than any other language. There is no such thing as a web language.

Swift

perl6 has a tiny steel pin thrust through its moth torso

Well no shit, of course it's going to be smaller if you glue libraries together. The rich ecosystem of libraries is the real killer feature of Python, not its syntax or dynamic typing or automatic memory management. If you need something there is probably a Python library for it already.

In contrast, the library ecosystem for Common Lisp looks like a graveyard. There are countless projects that haven't seen a commit in years and have unanswered issues piling up in their bug reports. There is also the issue of portability, all Lisps are shit in that regard, so if a library does not run on your implementation of choice you are screwed. It also doesn't help that Lisp programmers are so autistic that they will write scripts thousands of lines long with barely any comments. The problem with Lisp is not the language, the problem are its users.

I've been thinking of writing an HTTP server in C++. Not CGI, mind you, but a complete HTTP daemon tailored specifically to the website.

It's very hard to get motivated, however.