Serious comics

I'm looking for some serious graphical novels to read. None of that superhero bullshit, I'm only looking for works that are like normal novels but with pictures and speech bubbles. Where can I find a good list of the best ones?

Blacksad's a pretty good pick. I don't read many comics these days. Especially not super dark or serious ones. But Blacksad's one of the very very few I've read that I enjoy immensely. You can find it online easily and hardcover copies in any decent comic shop.

Whatever happened to that one cat comic that took place in the 1920's? Something dailesycats…

Lackadaisy?

That's it

West Coast Blues

As for whatever happened to it, the chick who does it hardly ever updates. The last comic she posted was the final page in the last story arc and that was some time last summer.

That's a bummer

Maus, Akira, Cerebus, Domu: A Child's Dream, Bone, MW, Fax From Sarajevo, Appleseed, Sin City, Yokohama Kaidashi Kikō, Alec Sinner, Adolf, Kling Klang Klatch, anything by Moebius, and The Contract With God trilogy from Will Eisner.

Akira shouldn't be on that list.

Way to contribute, fuckwit.

I have a fair few, but I can't remember the names of them all. Most are comic journalism or autobiographies, which seems to be popular. I remember one called Psychiatry Tales or something about a nurse working in mental health, and it detailed all the conditions and situations the guy had experienced.

Oh sorry. Didn't realize every comment on here HAD to be another suggestion. I already told OP about Blacksad. Excuse me for commenting on another user's list that a manga doesn't belong there when OP wants serious western comics.

What does "normal" or "serious" mean to you OP? Because that's pretty ambiguous considering how off-beat the non-superhero stuff can occasionally get.

How about Cerberus? I know it can turn a bit bizarre sometimes. Especially the one with The Three Stooges.

Oh and to add to this list: Akiko, Leave it to Chance, XIII, The Classic Sandman (Well, the more supernatural Sandman is fine too), Liberty Meadows.

It will be better if it's turned into a 3D movie. Make it mature rated with Funky swing songs.

Well excuse me for commenting on a fuckwit.

There's a million 'slice of life' graphic novels that are serious. the problem is that they're a serious depiction of the life of some insufferable fucking hipster because they're either autobiographical or transparently a slight gloss. either way, they're all fucking terrible and should be avoided.

Diabolik is always fun. It's about a spy who does spy things. Very action filled, lots of jokes in there. I don't know if the jokes are translated correctly, though.

Not sure how it's going in terms of current translations, but I can speak a fair amount of Italian, so I just read it as it comes. Haven't kept reading past issue 800 as there was some form of hiatus, and I don't even know if it's still being made. English translations exist up to 400, to my knowledge, but I'm sure they'd be further by now.

This post reeks of Reddit: getting upset people call you names.

From Hell. Out of all the comics I've read, that one feels the most like a novel with pictures.

That one sounds good, I might read that one first.

I second the recs by and would add these three by Kerascoet:
- Beauty, evil fairy grants naive woman her wish
- Beautiful Darkness, an anti fairy tale
- Miss Don't Touch Me, most novel-like, dark

Not really novels but may be of interest:

Guy Delisle's non-fictional travel chronicles::

- Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea
- Jerusalem: Chronicles from the Holy City

Those sound interesting too. Darkness and fairy tales I like.

Stand Still Stay Silent
A Fairytale for the Demon Lord
One Last God: Kubera

Not the OP - I'm the poster of - but if OP allows non-comedic post-apocalyptic scifi stories they may be interested in:

- Snowpiercer, Le Transperceneige in French - fugitive progresses forward through a 1001 carriage train traveling in a humanity-induced ice age discovering unpleasant truths about authorities. Rather wordy but not too preachy. In French but translations exist, avoid the US censored versions, Pics related from a scanlation.

- Derelict Book 1 Deluge - single protag survives by scavenging from wrecks and ruins; I felt book 1 ended satisfactorily and book 2 didn't hold my interest, mainly due to the setting changing from lone survivor to crowds. Online and in print.

What they censored in US version?

Oh shit I keep forgetting to recommend this one. I know it's technically a manga but it's really worth reading. Also it's printed in small format and each volume can be pretty thick.

I hate this so much.

Looks nice

Got a torrent

Thanksforthe read.

But the dear faced lady in the background getting her ass grabbed look just like a deer.

Gotta bring in the broader audience somehow.

Thanks

It was shit.

It's limited only to Blacksad's sweethearts, and effect is amplified by human hair. Other female characters have animal faces.