Arch Linux

How do we make it's users shut up? I'd rather have 2 times the ubuntu users on every single linux discussion over having a single Arch Linux user autistically screeching about the AUR and pretending to know what they're talking about.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WSGcfjk-m7o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Not this shit again. Seriously, debian documentation has to be the worst thing ever made. You can even fucking self learn without having someone to help you fix your shit. Now, fuckoff with your shitty distro.

kill yourself

But have you seen the AUR???

Gentoofag here, arch is not quite minimal, you have all compile flags enabled in packages, all kernel modules included and you also dont have too much low-level choice(systemd, sysvinit) shit. This is just my opinion.

Computers were a mistake.

They're like hipsters who listen to "alternative" mainstream music. Don't go to reddit and try to reason with them, they will outnumber you which means being downvoted to invisibility. Just spread the memes, it's more effective.

Have you tried reading the man pages? Or searching the web (you might stumble upon some useful Arch Wiki article)? Even normies know how to do this.
Debian does have a documentation though, but it's in a linear/book form, split by chapters, and only about Debian itself. For anything non-Debian-specific they assume users will read the man pages or search the web themselves instead of being spoonfed. It's a waste of their time, they actually try to maintain a distro unlike Arch devs.

AUR is so full of shitty half-assed code. I know because they put my own shitty non-released programs on there but I can't do anything about that. I've also looked at some patched stuff on there, and it's really poor quality, just blindly copied from somewhere else. I would trust even PPAs more than AUR.

computers were awesome before they got onto desktop market, microsoft and apple literally killed computers

Minimal usually means more secure. That's why banks and airports use very minimal operating systems.
I like guis tho, so I'll stick with mint.

Arch is not minimal though, their dependencies are bloated as fuck. Arch minimalism is only a meme that Arch users want to believe in.

Dev here and user of Arch since 2005, I have switched to it after a few years of Slackware.
I appreciate the concept of "libertarian" package management and there is nothing wrong about it. It's a tradeoff of package creation being trivial and efficient, rather than being safe.
At the time Arch felt like the better implementation of the concept with also the better package offer.
In ${CURRENT_YEAR} the distro stays true to its purpose and I couldn't care less whether its userbase is full of cancerous faggots.
Also rolling release keeps up with latest developments in compilers and language standards and that as well is definitely another big point to me. (maybe not so much as it was back in C++1x days but still)

The aur is genuinely useful though you faggot. Im not even an arch user and I can recognize its a valid reason to like arch.
Noone gives a fuck that some packages are broken or whether it could be insecure. It lets them use the programs they want. And you call them autists.

They think its 'minimal' cause it doesnt come with a DE and stuff. Its really not.

Debian documentation is a mess.

Arch has a easy to use package manager. It could really be the best noob distro if the maintainers weren't so pretentious.

Free speech means all speech. Even annoying Archfags.
It's not as minimal as Gentoo.
It's not as easy as Mint.
Manjaro did a much better job of almost everything and don't claim not to be bloated.
It's not as stable or versatile as Debian.
It breaks every two seconds.
The only plus it has is documentation that one can easily adapt to any distro.

That's pretty much the life cycle of everyone.

Seriously?

what does void have to do with this?

Can you tell me, from memory, the equivalent of "apt autoremove"?

I just wanted to make menuconfig.
inb4 menuconfig is for noobs

to list all unrequired dependencies:
pacman --query --deps --unrequired (or pacman -Qdt)
adding -q/--quiet prints only the package names without version numbers.
anyways if you uninstall packages with pacman -Rs (pacman --remove --recursive) you will never have any unneeded dependencies lying around.

pacman -Ru

Can you tell me what the difference between apt and apt-get is?

menuconfig is in the build script with a # in front, all there is to do is uncomment it.

apt is apt-get but more human-friendly. apt-get is meant to be used by programs and scripts while people should use apt.

fucking lol. i'll keep using pacman. until ganoo guix comes out of beta

This is a thing to keep an eye on, it looks very interesting.

Primary reason to leave arch.

I am installing this mysterious Linux distro which I've been told is the best there is.
I'm excited to test my latest program in it, but the install process is a bit long compared to what I have been used to.

not to mention how great openrc is.

beep boop

So you were the one making those AI posts back in 4chin 10 years ago

You might as well just use aptitude. apt-get is fine.

How about difference between:
I love Debian but why all these different implementations? I use apt-get & co. because they're the most minimal and the fastest.

It's simple.

I like simplicity.

this guy gets it

I have literally never said "HURR DURR I'M AN ARCH USER LOOK". But now that you mention it, yeah, I use Arch.
So what? It's just a distro. I use so many distros on different computers I sometimes forget what I'm on.

What the fuck were you trying to accomplish here, nigger?

dude it is just a meme. no need to get so butthurt and defensive about it.
chillax bro!

I've been using it for over four months now, and it hasn't broken once for me.

The only times I have not broken Arch by simply using it long enough have been the times I have stayed away from the AUR.

I've tried to install that UNIX distro on VirtualBox, but I have always failed. Teach me your ways senpai.

Please rate my OC. I'm trying to improve. Made with 100% FOSS software on my systemd-powered machine.

Why are you so touchy?

Made me laugh. Sorry, I don't know why I reacted like that.

Why? I thought the consensus was that if you're going for cheap then stick with amd parts, or if you want good parts go intel/nvidia. It doesn't make sense to mix both .

I agree. I have all AMD in my desktop computer, but this is a laptop. I don't know why they did it like that.

I like it a lot though. I changed the panel for a matte one.
youtube.com/watch?v=WSGcfjk-m7o

Hey it's pretty good. No-bullshit flat stamped metal. Probably magnesium-aluminum. Only issue is the bottom is plasticshit which even presents a cooling issue since plastic is a horrible conductor while metal would help spread out the heat and dissipate a bit by itself.

Yeah, it has a bit of a heat problem. Also the heat vent is on the right side. A fucking pain to use with a mouse.
Anyway, they discontinued it.

When did arch get a stable branch?

Checked.
But what the fuck are you on about?

How in the fuck is arch simple. Stali is simple, Arch is even more bloated than fucking Debian.

k

It's a different kind of simplicity. The kind of simplicity that saves the maintainers work.

How did you make that transparent terminal to blur?

Fuck off

so what? it is simple to use.

The aur is good.
Neck yourself, you obsessive freak.

what are bash functions?
pacman-autoremove {pacman -Qdtq | pacman -Rs - }
badabing badaboom faggot

Gosh that sure proves pacman is easier to use than other package managers

literally talk english to pacman: pacman --remove --recursive $(pacman --query --unrequired --deps --quiet)
but you basically never have to do that.

Make sure KDE's compositor has blur activated and put this in your .bashrc or equivalent:
konsolex=$(qdbus | grep konsole | cut -f 2 -d\ )if [ -n konsolex ]; then for konsole in $konsolex; do xprop -f _KDE_NET_WM_BLUR_BEHIND_REGION 32c -set _KDE_NET_WM_BLUR_BEHIND_REGION 0 -id $(qdbus $konsole /konsole/MainWindow_1 winId) donefi

Pacman is a game you can't even talk to it what are you doing nigger?

Outdated software is one of the main reasons for switching to arch. It used to be unstable as fuck but these days updates don't render it unbootable as long as you stay away from testing repo.

Debian and Fedora work fine for that too.

waka waka?
waka waka waka omomomomomom
waka waka waka waka waka
wewewewewew-bwoop bwoop.

ok yeah but also, libraries are full of horrible shit
car lots are full of horrible shit
stores in /general/ are full of horrible shit
even legit vetted repos- full of horrible shit
the aur has more of it because its the USER repository.

shits open source my nigga, check it out first if you're concerned about code quality, otherwise most of the shit
i get off the AUR is smaller but extremely useful stuff such as more obscure libraries and smaller forks that end up
better than the original software.

you dont HAVE to use the trash, and its not even put in your face or advertised so you're not pressured to use it
so theres no legitimate argument against the AUR other than "it might be less secure im not really sure im not a programmer
i just go on an anonymous imageboard and complain about whats popular to complain about"

AUR is full of trash, but that's not the real problem. The real problem is that Arch uses it as an excuse to have an almost bare main repository.

Did Debian became rolling release? I stopped using it 10 years ago so I really don't know how it is these days but one of the main problems of Debian was that it only had outdated packages on its repos with only security patches getting backported. This is not a problem if you use it as a server but it can get pretty annoying as a desktop because if you ever want to use a new feature of some program that's only available in the latest version then you'll have to wait until the next distro release and even then it might not ship with the latest version of the program you want. Of course you could try to backport the program you need but it might require that you also backport some of its dependencies which might screw up your system.

Debian has a rolling release branch, called unstable or sid. It has had it for a long time, probably ten years ago, too.

Yeah, I remember using that and I'm also remember that even that repo didn't ship the latest version of every program.

The very newest cutting edge possibly unreliable versions of packages sometimes go in the supplemental "experimental" repository. I've never had a need for that myself, though.