Monk Mode

Has anyone here actually gone full monk mode? Monk mode is cutting yourself off from the world and media, basically. Just work, study and exercise.

I'm almost there. I just got to stop reading about world news and browsing Facebook. In summary, I want to cut off from all the media brainwashing and just read. I want to have only one stream of information and that's classical books and Catholicism. This is my way of unplugging.

If you've done it, have you seen any benefits? What was your experience like?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy_of_the_Hours
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>>Holla Forums

right on time but you forgot to sage so no shekels for you

never tried it, but I really wanted to for a while before I resigned myself to despair and eventual suicide

Why exactly don't you look into joining a religious community?

I've done it. It's useful.

Go do it now, you shouldn't be posting

…then would they be on here?

Retarded, an Alpha man needs to keep up with the current world news

Monks were successful because they grouped together. Humans need society, though I imagine you also share with me a general disdain for the average pleb.

You're probably thinking of hermits, a type of monk; but even they had frequent visitors and social lives, often being relied upon as judges to sort out disputes due to their impartial position (and piety of course).

I guess if you work you'll still have some contact (unless you work from home), but I really would recommend having a close-knit group whom you can rely on and who can help you with your otherwise monastic life. Having a group with you also allows you to potentially wield political power in the future.

I definitely would not encourage many on Holla Forums to go into that lifestyle, especially considering the fact that you'll likely be needed for combat soon. However having small bastions who distance themselves from the filth of modernity can definitely be useful post-victory.

Best of luck to you lad regardless of what you decide to do.

I do this once or twice a year with a monastic order in a remote hermitage.

Some monastic orders allow outsiders in for short periods of time, some don't. Even if you aren't catholic.

Depending on the hermitage, you may have to walk there and back out. Usually they are remote, not connected to the world, etc. There is one in Russia, one of the most remote in the world, that you have to walk through forest for 40+KM from the main road, and that road is like a few 100KM from any main cities.

All you do all day is read and contemplate. You get up at very early for meditation (think before 3AM, as one of the prayers is at 3AM). Different hermitages will do different things depending on the order. Some will partake in hourly prayer/chant, like this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liturgy_of_the_Hours

See vid related.

Some, especially orthodox, will have total silence.

In a way. I have income and free time still for few more months and only practice + read.

Holla Forums is my only touch with the world. I've read more this year than in my entire life.

Living it right now.

I've been thinking for a long time about going back to a basic phone, but I need a smartphone for my job.

I think constant connectivity and stimulation is really damaging to our attention spans and creativity. I used to be a relatively creative person who liked drawing and making websites. Now I spend my free time browsing the internet. Too much information has made me uncertain of myself on so many things too. It's overwhelming for curious and open minded people.

ascetic shaolin reporting in
monk life is best life

Yeah for almost 9 years.

I watch NFL football occasionally but don't watch any of the advertisements or idiotic pre and post game programs.

It really fascinates me how shills manage the first post.

Its a good thing for a week, go on vacation innawoods. But longer than that and ill start to suspect youre just a reclusive defeatist

Another christcuck attempting to shill and d&c.

You almost made it perfectly…

I did a Mormon mission. No news, tv or most music. You can only read approved religious books. 1hr a week on a computer only to email your family. Did not enjoy, would not recommend. Try prison instead maybe?

I wish i still had my Motorola RAZR v3

Oh yea, and when you do it, practice a martial art.
and by martial art i mean western martial art, use it as a form of meditation, and dont speak, even if you are tempted to talk aloud to yourself dont speak a word. If you hunt, hunt with traps and bows and spears, you want to remain as silent as possible for your own sake.

I think it's important to get away from the 24/7 endless stream of unimportant noise that assaults us daily.

I imagine unplugging for a few days every month would do wonders in grounding you back in reality. It would effectively be like taking a drug to alter your state of mind.

It's different when it's being pushed on you and you still have minimal access to the information stream.

I think it's important that you do it of your own will and completely forgo outside communication so you're not teased into constantly wanting more. If you're allowed an hour of your addiction, you'll just be sitting on edge the rest of the time waiting for that hour.

The phone is only as smart at the operator

Yes. After the last economic crash the company I worked for went under. I had a good bit saved up and a family owned beach house available with no internet and no cell signals. Within one week of leaving that company my phone broke and I just went without for 6 months. I had no TV, no working radio etc. Just a beach to run on, an ocean to swim in and a shit ton of books.
I eventually got in shape and "cleared my mind". Completely stopped smoking pot and alcohol (for a while after that at least….). Reading a lot I also became much more right wing. I used to be muh civic nationalism muh constitutional conservative. When I left to come back to the (((real world))) is right about the time I found Holla Forums and shortly thereafter Trump announced his candidacy. Except for the JQ I was essentially 'red pilled' before finding Holla Forums because of all the research I did in my down time.

The biggest issue I had was I didn't need to work. If you don't have a regimented schedule and you don't have a need to work it is very easy to goof off and get drunk and high for weeks at a time. After two months of fucking around I finally got my ass in gear and started running every morning, swimming at sunset and reading at least one book per day. Over a year later and I still don't watch TV or use any social media. Feels good man.

so basically you want to take something that is just an action and make it into some stupid hipster statement-lifestyle? I haven't watched TV or movies and played games or gone drinking in like 3 years, nothing really changes that much tbh. a balance is really what is most effective. contrarian-puritanism (as evidenced by the catholic larping) is just as decadent as clubbing because its simply the reaction against clubbing,etc. you don't need to make your life into a statement tbh, just do it and fuck off

But how are you suppose to feel morally superior if you do that

That's basically my strategy for college.

>only TV I watch is the forecast, MDE, and _mlp

I don't really have much to compare it to, but my roommate is trying to do the whole "it's college brah be urself" routine. He's not as big a sperg as me, but he doesn't have the self awareness. He's a quintessential summerfag; talks in memes, generally doesn't know dick about shit. Not a good looker either, a little fat, doesn't have a pleasant voice. As he sees how poorly he is doing he increasingly disturbed. I though am fairly contempt in my solitude. I came here to get a degree, which will please my elders and hopefully raise my market value. I don't have any expectations; just a job to do. A few girls have shown interest, but I'm not going to bother. It certainly isn't a silver bullet, I'm still melancholy, but I'm stable.

Right now I could be partying, but really I don't care. It can be nice to be really alone, just with yourself and God. Frightening at times, but healthy nonetheless. Those that try to escape the silence will inevitably be the worst affected by its clutches.

My routine is similar except I commute to college and I don't go to church because I'll get kicked out by my edgy parents if I do.
My life is lonely as hell

This is great advice to do from time to time. I always find this Heinlein quote pretty viable. Obviously, many are here on Holla Forums because we actually care about what's going on and want to be aware of it all, but you can get too swamped down in it all and forget to even live.

I used to like heinlein until I read farnhams freehold then I realized how much of a boomer CIVIC nationalist cuck he is

On the question of loneliness, remember that the alternatives tend to be quite a bit worse. Most people are just as lonely as you are, but are too dumb or terrified to acknowledge it, and they turn to decadence to distract themselves.

Adding to unplugging, lace up too. At least one weekend a month, if possible, put your boots on and head into the woods. Find something beautiful.

To be fair, he died before the demographic changes were so apparent.

Totally agree. I haven't been doing this lately and miss it. Thanks for the reminder, user.

This is a well-thought out answer.

I think that in the modern age, it's necessary to have a least a tangential knowledge of mass media, just to know what's being fed to normies and understand their general outlook.

In medieval times, there was really no pop culture to speak of, so living the monastic life wasn't completely socially crippling like it is now.

These days, anyone coming from a background of zero media exposure may as well be an alien, and communication is very difficult. Even actual monks, and other isolated groups like the Amish, have had to integrate somewhat.

To the lads saying go to the mountains every weekend you should be out every day. Go for walks in the country every day, stay in touch with nature and explore the area around you, know the terrain and where you can hide if you need to.

Is this an attempt to make Holla Forumsacks disengage from world events and politics, or are you just retarded?

I've been a hermit for quite a while. Not sure when it started really but I have always separated myself from society except for some brief stints in my youth. I'm like the guy on the outskirts, living on an elevated place that no one knows about, and I watch the people below while dreaming of a better world. I can't join them because they are all so different from me. I get too tired socializing anyway and would be unable to keep it up for a long period of time. Imageboards are basically the only socializing I do on a daily basis but this also is part of my watch.

So you're going to do that body weight thing?

I would like to do this and focus on learning programming in java to a point of proficiency. If I can do that, I can have the flexibility of living and working somewhere else.

The opportunity cost of doing this is high, because I have a basic IT monkey job. OP, you have to decide if you're willing to live without many pleasures in this life. It will mean you find your joy in the simple nature of life, an ordered life, knowledge and being a master of your craft.

I wish you the best of luck on your journey, just make sure it's all worth it in the end.

source?

Right, pop culture always existed, it was just a lot better in pre-Christian times.

I'd love to go join a monastery or something like that. Anything to get away and unplug.
>tfw miss the community and goodness of a nice church

If you're a monk, you wouldn't be here, what a stupid thread

We need warrior monks.