Why do 'linux on the desktop' people only use Virtualbox or VMWare for virtualization...

Why do 'linux on the desktop' people only use Virtualbox or VMWare for virtualization? I've never seen anyone actually use QEMU/KVM on a desktop.

And apparently, 3D support for X11 guests in Virtualbox is in a dilemma for Oracle: virtualbox.org/wiki/X11Guest3D

Will we be stuck with VMware?

Other urls found in this thread:

virtualbox.org/ticket/12011
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybase_Open_Watcom_Public_License
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794466
blendervelvets.org/
blendervelvets.org/en/velvet-goldmine/
youtube.com/playlist?annotation_id=annotation_4173738165&feature=iv&list=PLjyuVPBuorqIhlqZtoIvnAVQ3x18sNev4&src_vid=xSGIPmQdV6M
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because Virtualbox/VMware normies are attention whores.

because virtualbox and vmware are easier. apparently, If you set up QEMU with GPU passthrough you can get near native performance. but i don't understand the point when you can simply dual boot.

QEMU is a huge monstrous program that virtualizes hundreds of peripherals, devices and systems so it has a daunting amount of options. Most people install a virtualization API (libvirt) just to manage it.

I just want a simple & secure tool for hosting KVM machines with virtio devices.

The compiler for Virtualbox is non-free software.
see:
virtualbox.org/ticket/12011
That's why I don't use it.
VMware is proprietary trash (even it work well)

I only use KVM/QEMU

What don't you understand when I say

It's only for the bios, and Open Watcom is an open source compiler, it just has a weird license. Get off RMS's dick.

I think it's questionable that it's actually open source. The OSI accepted it, but the Open Source Definition is based on Debian's Free Software Guidelines, and Debian rejects it.

It requires you to make your source code public if you just modify and "deploy" the software, even without giving it to anyone else. It's like they exaggerated the GPL to the point where even Stallman thinks it's horrible. It's really shitty.

For those who don't use GPU passthrough how is SPICE/QXL and 3D Virgil performing these days?

Bitch I fucking read these licenses myself.
The open watcom is not free/libre software and isn't even close to open source.
The Open source initiative (OSI) are retarded cunts when it comes to a lot of things, they are basically corporate shills.
Even the borderline debian guide rejects it.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sybase_Open_Watcom_Public_License

Well RMS always wanted something that doesn't take user freedom and users are developers too.
That's why you aren't forced to publish source code when you don't publish it publicly.
You have to give a copy of the source if you share it to an individual but you aren't forced to publish the code to the public.

Because then you don't have to fuck around with an NTFS partition at lest.

Have you ever seen someone use Hyper-V?

Did you even read that what you linked?
The source code for the BIOS is there, and so is the code of OpenWatcom. It's just some license clause of OW that makes it "non-free".
You get the free source code of the BIOS to modify, and you get the generated assembly you can use to compile it without OW.
VirtualBox itself is fully free, since you get the full code with a proper license, including the BIOS code. It's just that rebuilding the BIOS code (which is a really small part that's mostly irrelevant anyway) is slightly harder, but not impossible.

I've been looking for 16-bit x86 C compilers myself, and except for the horribly outdated and shitty bcc, there really only is (unfortunately) OpenWatcom, so I can't blame them.
You can compile 16-bit code with GNU Binutils through the .code16 directive or -m16 flag, but the GCC compiler can't generate 16-bit code, only 32-bit. When using this setup (generating 32-bit code, compiling as 16-bit), you have a lot of limitations such as not supporting pre-386 cpus, far pointers, and you can't do all the fancy stuff required to properly write a BIOS. This hackery is what linux uses to bootstrap the kernel, though.

TL;DR: VirtualBox is fully free, but there's a part of the code that can't be built with free tools. Can't really blame them for the lack of free tools for the purpose.

Besides, I forgot to mention that VirtualBox is packaged in Debian under the DSFG, not sure for how long. If you trust them to make sure it's always free of random blobs, you could read their packaging sources, apply their patches, sanitize the sources like they do, and build it like they do. I do this myself on slackware.

No. It's in contrib. That means the source code in the package itself is free software, but the DFSG are broken somewhere along the way. That can be because of a dependency, or because of a build dependency, or because it retrieves proprietary software during the installation, for example. In this case it's because of the Watcom compiler.

If you want the true freetard+ experience on Debian you have to stick to main.

bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=794466

Virtualbox will only be in debian unstable now. And because of debian policies, it won't be in backports either.

kust use Linux Containers. The only reason to use virtualization is to run Windows and you don't need that. virtualization is now obsolete,

Unless you have to do video editing or something like that, then you need to use Windows as there is no proper video editing software for Linux.
inb4 blender, that shit is nigh unusable with its ass-backwards, asinine UI and the resulting God awful work flow

I don't know why I am helping such a nigger like yourself
See thread:
blendervelvets.org/
blendervelvets.org/en/velvet-goldmine/

Also tutorials videos
youtube.com/playlist?annotation_id=annotation_4173738165&feature=iv&list=PLjyuVPBuorqIhlqZtoIvnAVQ3x18sNev4&src_vid=xSGIPmQdV6M

We just need a nice front-end to hide all the complexity of QEMU/KVM
GNOME Boxes is nice because of that

The point is that you don't have to close your torrents and whatever else you have running on your loonix box just to play some stupid game.

Oh and it's also a security plus. Since wangblows won't be touching the bare metal of your machine, NSA/CIA/FBI malware won't be so effective.

Looks interesting, but as with all GNOME software it looks like it suffers from the "dumbed down interface" syndrome.

Says a virgin neck-beard not fantasized by any, because attention whores beat him to the fuck fest.

Yes I am an attention whore, whats the point if you can't show off.

Are you serious?

What? You need "milk" to be pacified? Yes, I am dead serious

Just dumbstruck that you exist at all.

get laid, really

No need to have another drive or partition, and you don't have to reboot. With a KVM switch you can just switch back and forth with both systems running at the same time.

Aren't there some games that refuse to run if it detects it's running in a VM? (anti cheating or something)

QEMU had to add a special option for nvidia drivers too. Nvidia drivers try to detect the KVM signature and prevent you from using it.

GNOME boxes suffers from being too simple. When will they learn to balance options with simplicity?

The fewer the options, the easier it is for programmers to manage. This means the developers can spend time implementing "optimal" UI designs rather than worrying about configuration clashes.

Anyone tried running a DAW inside a qemu/kvm setup?