Pls

Other urls found in this thread:

mangafox.me/manga/kamen_rider_black/
kissmanga.com/
archive.org/details/cu31924029796608
orionsarm.com/
imdb.com/title/tt0096251/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Some of you might remember me from a writefag thread way, way back. But I might as well reintroduce my idea.

I was planning a capeshit story, a love letter of sorts to the superhero genre that mainly took inspiration from Spider-Man and Blue Beetle. Major influences on presentation and story structure came from Spectacular Spider-Man and Young Justice.

So basically, ordinary high school student witnesses what he believes to be a meteor crashing into the woods that surround his hometown. When he goes to investigate, he realizes that the meteor was actually an alien starship more specifically, a military R&D vessel and as he explores the wreckage, an advanced combat exoskeleton bonds with his body.

Naturally, he progresses towards superheroics from there.

Anyone care to here more?

sure go ahead user

Wait was that the one where it's actually a Lovecraftian like lifeform that's slowly turning him into an old one? Are you that guy?

I don't write anything but I always imagine how it feels to be non masked criminal in a world full of capeshits. Imagine a serial killer that always got the jitter everytime he sees a a big guy in raincoat nearby because he's afraid of the Punisher. Or a moonshiner worried that a bible thumping masked vigilante going to crash his operation.

Y'know, bible thumping superhero can be a pretty interesting story on its own…

Are there any like that in comics?

In self publicated or smaller publication, yes. But not in mainstream comics.

Okay, cool.

So I was planning on having around 10-13 lengthy chapters, each with its own self-contained adventure much like issues in a comic book series or episodes in a cartoon. But they would all connect together in an over-arching story. Again, I was influenced by Spectacular Spider-Man when it came to story structure.

At first, the hero would fight off street crime but as the story went on, the villains would get bigger and badder in reaction to the hero's presence. "Escalation" a la Batman Begins.

I had some ideas regarding the hero's rogues gallery, but I feel that too much too soon would hurt the story. I was planning on cutting down my list of villains to a handful to focus on for the first story.

Care to see my ides?

No, actually. My idea when I first posted it was more akin to Blue Beetle's armor that materialized at will and didn't really negatively affect the wearer.

Hmmm. That might be a bit boring but it's different from the norm in it's own way.

Read Astro City and it provides you with all that.

But the Confessor was a…. oh wait that will be a huge spoiler.

Good luck, you guys. All of my projects always get scrapped, nothing ever comes of them, but I want you guys to do what I can't. Make an user proud and write your shit, guys. You can do it, I believe in you.

I've been putting my own cape universe together for the past couple of years now, constantly tweaking and revising the various characters and trying to figure out just what the hell I want to do with all of this stuff I've tossed into a pot. My original plan was to work on it with a few other people and actually start making comics, but that fell apart spectacularly, twice, so I'm pretty much just convinced the best way to approach it is by handling it solo.

I've got some decent characters set up, and most of their individual origins and stories ready to write, but time, laziness, and my own fickle desire to hop back and forth between projects like an indecisive fuck have kept me from getting anything concrete down now that I've stopped trying to work with groups.

Remember kids, don't work with SJWs, only bad things happen when you do.

Since I'm doing something similar, I think it'd be kind of neat to hear some of your ideas user.

While I'd say that it doesn't necessarily have to have an overt negative impact, having the suit result in some kind of drawback would probably be a good idea. Just food for thought.

Nice to see this thread back.

When I say "no negative effects" I mean that the suit doesn't have any physical drawbacks. The suit isn't killing him, it's not causing him pain.

He can materialize the suit at will much like Blue Beetle, but it is permanently bonded to him. Removing the source from his body would kill him, so there's that.

I was having trouble deciding what type of suit it should be though. Should I go the Blue Beetle route and have it be a hard, insect-like exoskeleton, or have it be organic like the Symbiote from Spider-Man? Or maybe something else entirely?

Organic. Then maybe have the risk of the suit choosing to leave him and killing him. Forcing him to get along with the suit or else. Something. There has to be some kind of conflict there.

Or veggie tales

It depends on the kind of hero you want him to be I suppose. If you want a more organic creepy alien-like entity there's a lot you can do with that, especially if you slowly build up to the realization that his exoskeleton may just have a mind of it's own over the course of the narrative.

I've always been a little more partial to robotic exosuits myself, but that's just me. I like the idea of loading your character up with a bunch of techno gizmos that you can play with in interesting ways, also, giving them an AI companion to talk to or something can make for easier exposition delivery.

It's up to you, ultimately, but that's just my two cents.

This user here again

I'm curious, what exactly is it that you guys, personally, want out of your superhero stories? I have my own desires and goals, of course, but I've found it difficult to really get a chance to talk with other people who are genuine fans of the genre concerning what keeps them, or kept them, invested in capes. Mostly, I just want to know what you guys would want to see out of your ideal cape universe.

I've already sort of come up with a few hard rules. Mainly, no resurrection for the sake of bringing back a character just to have them back. If it can work into the main plot without feeling hackneyed and trite, then fine, but only rarely and only when it is the absolute best route. Otherwise, death is insurmountable, and thus, conflict should have a lot of weight.

Mostly just curious, and hoping to keep this thread from dying off completely due to lack of activity.

Everyone's got their own ideas and preferences. For me I want to see a hero struggle and hurt as much as possible without coming across too much like a wimp. He struggles and breaks so that he can build himself back up and get stronger. I want him to have a strong sense of goodness. Justice, hope, friendship, responsibility, and the desire to snuff out the fires of evil wherever they may be. Basically I want a mix of Kamen Rider and Izuku Midoriya. I have trouble coming up with ideas to make them more… human. I'll admit that.

I get that, I like to have my characters take a thorough thrashing, be it physically or mentally, before growing as a character. I find it best to keep the mooks and general baddies easy enough for the hero to handle, to keep them from appearing weak, but when the actual antagonists show up it's time for them to struggle.

I understand the feeling. There's a fine line you have to walk between portraying them, simultaneously, as something more than human yet human in the sense that the average man can relate to them in some way. I've found it especially difficult since one of the primary heroes I plan to include is a literal alien from a planet vastly unlike our own.

Though ultimately my cape universe is much more western than eastern in influence, I hope to keep that theme of pursuing justice, hope, and all that good shit fairly consistent throughout the stories of all my protagonists.

I do hope to include a Japanese based cape who is basically just an homage to Kamen Rider, but that's a ways off yet.

You know, up until we get to the more antihero types, though I hope to avoid going full edgelord with any of them.

Well, my wants are similar to what said in many ways. I want to see hero triumph by conquering his own weakness, learning from failures, and making sacrifices. In addition, I want to see hero do more that rely solely on raw power. I want there to be consequences to hero's actions and that stories are not focused on preserving the status quo, quite the opposite. Ideally, hero's actions would actually change the world in some way. All that and well done fights.

What I don't want to see are repetitive origin stories, cliche and shallow excuses for their motivation to fight crime, evil, or whatever, and being very simple minded about it. I am sick of aliens/victims of freak accidents/chosen ones that fight crime because it's the right thing to do/my x died. Not that they can't be done well, but most of the time they are just plain boring.

All of the above caused me to slowly drift away from traditional capes in favor of heroes like Doom Patrol, Vertigo, and foreign comics. American superheroes that aren't related to Astro City just sound extremely unappealing at this point.

I get that, I've always found sequences more engaging when a hero uses wits to defeat their opponent over raw strength and superior resources.

Thankfully, since I'm working on this project on my own and don't have large marketing teams and decades of previous material to worry about, I can comfortably consider this mostly taken care of. Each hero should accomplish things, or fail at others, and that will have a direct impact on the world around them.

The issue with that is that you kind of need an origin to establish how a character attains their powers or winds up in the situation they're in. While I can agree that cliches are to be avoided, I don't think having a freak accident or past motivator is terrible if used well. Then again, I've always approached narratives with the idea that it's better to do something expected well, than to experiment and fail for the sake of being different. Still, maybe that's just an excuse on my part, I've never been terribly great at reinventing the wheel when it comes to things like that. I can toss a decent twist in here and there, but I have a lot of trouble cooking up something that really shakes things up without going completely off the deep end.

Then again, I plan on having origins be a very small part of the overall narrative. They're typically the most dull part of any cape fiction, even when unique in inception. So hopefully if the worst comes to pass they'll be out of the way quickly and painlessly.

Thanks for the input user.

Then you need to pick up the classic Kamen Rider manga (note: Not the new one, find the one with artwork similar to Astroboy). It's pretty much what you are looking for. His transformation is more organic compared to flashy TV version. He also act more animalistic while he's in one, so he prefer biting and clawing rather than punch or kick. He's also naked when he transformed back. His enemies were pretty complex, some are willing members of the organization while some turned against their will and begging to be killed.

Aren't all the Kamen Rider mangas only in Japanese?

Well, not all of them. The newer ones are translated sometimes. Maybe someone can commission the older comics, they are better.

I was against giving him an AI companion because he was already pretty similar to Blue Beetle as he was.

The thing is, I was planning on my story to be both a deconstruction and reconstruction of superhero tropes. The reconstruction comes from my view that having superpowers is awesome, hence the suit having no physical drawbacks. The deconstruction comes from the baggage that comes with having the suit and choosing to be a superhero. Peter Parker life complications galore! Also, the military wants to capture him for study because they think he's an alien and they later correctly guess he's actually a human with alien tech.

The drawbacks would be there, but not from the suit itself. They would come from the problems that exist because he has the suit and uses it the way he does.

And there's the fact that as the villains get bigger and badder and alien-er, the hero realizes that as advanced as his suit seems on Earth, he's basically wearing the alien equivalent of a mall cop uniform.

Alright, I'm convinced. Sounds like you've figured it out more.

there's some people translating.

But no physical official releases. What's the point then? I wanna be able to hold the book in my hand and then add it to my shelf.

Update: This is what I'm talking about. The manga is called Kamen Rider Black. It's very different from the original TV series.

The good news is it's already completely translated: mangafox.me/manga/kamen_rider_black/

Do you mean different from the first Kamen Rider or different from the Kamen Rider Black show?

Oh also it's not available on mangafox anymore. I should probably just look on kissmanga if they have the KR stuff.

Both. From the original this deviated more with the typical Kamen Rider lore that's supposed to be heroic and children friendly. It's also different from Kamen Rider Black with its darker approach and the fact that his brother still alive when he escaped.

Trying to write a script for a cartoon, wondering what animals should represent Europe. They're all robot animals by the way, that way I can kill as many as I want on the boys side. The girls side is what I'm having trouble with though. There's an angry horse, a mad scientist cat, a cool hyena, a mute musical goat, a cute muscular dog, and an emotionless monkey. I want to add one more character to the line up. A strictly "European" animal though.

A swan? Swan's are european, right?

So I once wrote this story where a teen hero being the only survivor of his homeworld…then followed by his home universe as his universe was destroyed in some grand universal hoo-hah ala Crisis on Infinite Earths and in the new rebooted universe, he's now a stranger in a familiar Earth because on the new Earth, there's everyone he knows..and the rebooted version of himself and no one remembered the original one.

That's gonna be tough. Eagle is a very popular animal in European coats of arms, and lion is probably the second one. If you are willing to go mythological route, you can use bull from Greek mythology, and occasionally used by the EU on some symbols. If you are willing to go further, winged dragons and griffins are very common in European legends and crests. Interestingly enough, griffins also happen to be half eagle and half lion.

If you want an actual animal that is exclusive to Europe, choice is pretty slim when it comes to ones that look distinct. Swans, forest bisons, European boars, and European badgers are pretty much it. If you are willing to go with extinct animals, aurochs could be a choice, since they survived in Europe the longest.

I would probably go with griffin, but I am not sure whether it would fit your story.

I had an idea similar to that in middle school/early high school, though I was taking inspiration more from Samus' power suit (basically the same thing). It was always a power fantasy thing for me, though (as a little kid I would imagine myself as a jedi when I to solve my problems, as a preteen I wanted to be Snake, etc.) I still like the idea, though if I were to seriously consider writing something about it there would be some major changes/rules for the suit to work

a few other ideas I've toyed around with in my head:

Am I just autistic? Probably. But it's good to get this stuff down and out of my head.

Nigger get in here:

kissmanga.com/ Manga /Kamen-Rider-Black

Holy shit no.

Anyway, Writing up a fantasy about a teenager becoming an adventurer by accident. Just an outline at the moment for the first five chapters and to see if I like the concept or not.

I've always pictured wolves as pretty European. But that's just me.

Makes sense, if you want to differentiate him a bit more by dropping the AI companion. It's just a trope I'm personally quite fond of, you could always go totally cold AI and still manage to have the status updates and shit, minus the personality. It might also be kind of neat if the suit, being alien in origin, can't actually communicate with him and instead speaks entirely in alien gibberish. Might have some fun there by coming up with ways for the two to communicate with each other despite the language barrier.

My friend we're all autismos here, I don't know why people hide from the fact like it's something to be ashamed of. Let's all gather around and have one big autism fest, might be fun.

I might come back later and go into some more detail concerning my cape universe and the lineup of characters I have. Wouldn't mind a little feedback on them.

I'll guess I'll go with a swan then, just got to figure out where she fits in. I'm thinking royalty, either princess or queen.

There will be mythological creatures, unicorns, Griffins, medusa, minotaur, etc. I think they'll either be in the upper crust of society, or monsters.

I will look into extinct animals.

Hmm, I may have a griffin as a side character now. Probably close to the swan.

They're will be wolves but I'm not sure if they'll be strictly European grown.

Trying to think of songs too, like whether or not each of the girls should have their own way of singing. Maybe the hyena raps, the cat does rock songs. Stuff like that. Writing songs is also fucking awful. Also having trouble figuring out what angry horses daughters disabilities are. It's either going to be blindness, her back legs don't work, or both.

A complete guide to heraldry
by Arthur Charles Fox-Davies:
archive.org/details/cu31924029796608

Thanks user, that'll actually be a big help.

Here are some examples of Danish & Norwegian noble families with animals in their coat of arms

The animal on the Baden coa is a badger btw - not too easy to make that one out.

from my genealogical research

fixed*

REEEEEEEE

Nice

And here is Sweden's.

Anyone else have the desire to write an anime harem plot but instead of the dude being a pathetic wet blanket he's a masculine western protagonist?

Vacuum still, I promise not to be such a fucking pest now.
**Damnit I was so excited.

It's fine, friendo.

I remember you from the previous threads. I liked your stuff, sorry for not commenting on it though. I mostly just lurked.

Not particularly but you should go for it. Mix things up a little.

A few threads ago I put up this idea I had called 'Fair Game' about a deer who stumbles upon a weapon cache and uses it to take out the hunters in his neck of the woods after more high powered over-the-top weaponry was made legal for hunting. Now I've kinda got it on hold due to working on another project currently but I've been spilling with some extra ideas for it concerning a supporting cast.

The ideas I had were for three extra characters. One is another deer who functions as the protag's cowardly friend who mostly sticks around him for protection. The next is a rabbit who has survived multiple hunting attempts (from both humans and animals) over the years leaving his body looking almost like a shell of abuse (bits of his ear missing, scars along his legs from snare traps, etc.) and he's one who is encouraging the violent solution that the protag does. The last is a female doe who I'm not entirely sure about her role yet since it was either another friend who tries to advise him against what he's doing due to the effect it's having on his psyche.

What do you guys think?

Thanks, I have not made much of a progress with AXOLOTL, besides having more songs for creative process of closing my eyes and imagine a scene.

But been thinking on another plot called "Bridge".
A man lives in an apartment complex on an small island, the island is connected by a short bridge to mainland, all his friends ad family live in the building, and his workplace is also in the island.
He's nice to people and people are nice to him, but alone in his apartment he's really apathetic, wishes to cross the bridge but he must not do any unnecessary actions, and he doesn't need to cross the bridge, everything in the island works for him.
One day he gets close to the bridge and sees a young girl, in the middle of the bridge, really beautiful.
He gets close to her and begin talking, she's really sweet and encourages him to cross the bridge, he does, as everyday after that, experiencing new things… increasingly dangerous things.
By the end they've fallen deeply in love with each other, but one activity gets way close to death and the man feels pure fear for his life for the first time, and becomes getting afraid of her.
He tries to get back but one afternoon there makes him apathetic again.
So he can't go back and she can't get out without her because she's always waiting for him in the bridge, so she must kill her so he can get out alone.

Which do you like more in dealing with supernatural lore background in a pretty mundane work, (Obviously set after the supernatural lore background)?

Should I leave the existence of the supernatural as a hinted possibility until confirmed or should I showcase supernatural events but its taken as mundane sci-fi events until revealed as magic?

I think supernatural SciFi is one of those things, like Twin Peaks or Space Rock Opera. Not many dare to do it since there's many ways to fuck it up.

The mystery attracts the reader's attention.

I always adore hinted magical shenanigans. Like there's something off off with some lore or whatever.

Yes, but I want his harem to be a party of various guys.

Nice until this point. There is a whole subplot of untapped potential here, a lot of it pretty generic. Could make her the endgoal of all the chaos the main character creates. He wants to impress the Doe by being the strongest deer of all. Then you could subvert it in several ways, one being that she's absolutely disgusted by all the violence and bloodshed and tries to stop the main character who she feels is villain and she ends up going to more ridiculous or cruel extremes to stop him, or you could have her run away with another Buck while the main character was off killing everyone. Or you could just play it straight, nothing wrong with that.

Frankly I may not even put her in because the Rabbit and the coward Deer friend seem like they have more relevancy than her. She was pretty much probably gonna be the typical eye-candy girl for the MC but I'm thinking here it wouldn't really fit due to the focus on the MC. I'm kinda wondering if the idea is worth pursuing since I really just planned it as a short-ish webcomic (maybe 40 pages at most). Alot of response I got to the idea either ranged between 'sounds good' or 'pretty generic' like how you said but hey maybe there's time to evolve it a little.

It's meant to be pretty straight forward. Deer killing hunters, guy who owns the park tries more and more excessive means to kill him even to the point (near the end) of hiring some Forest Ranger/PMC guys to try and take him out. Looking at it now I just realized there is alot of blank space between the beginning and the end. Space that I could fill.

Not the guy you're replying to but I understand the struggle, when I was making my characters I realized I needed more and my kind of plot felt too empty otherwise, I have other more simple plots that don't really need many characters but this one did.

As I think a new character out I focus on it so much that I almost forgot about the rest of the cast, but at the very end I feel satisfied because I feel that no matter which character I use, anyone could be the main character.

Girly boys and twinks only. Why else have the main guy be a masculine manly man?

Because variety. Girly boys and twinks are boring. Make it a mix of bara and shota.

Mystery's usually the safer bet, having things be off in a subtle way that gets people to ask questions is also easier for a reader to swallow than 'oh yeah this thing that you thought was explained with science? No it's just magic fuck you.'

No, because haremshit is arguably some of the worst wish fulfillment garbage on the planet that's only ever good for masturbating. The reason the leads in haremshit are always weak beta males is because that's the kind of faggot who's willing to read garbage of that variety. You won't see any buff cowboys reading a jap harem novel.

The thing is that I have both.
From science there's space travel due to super compressiob (Now outlawed) eugenics that bring super strength, durability and life span (it also plays with recessive genes on eugenics subjects offspring).

And on supernatural I have the existence of souls, telekinesis, and spiritual power ups, and physics bending abilities and all except for TK appear almost as the second third of the plot finishes, the last one halfway through the last third.

Also, only four characters get to have spiritual powers, three of them very limited ones and two die at the hands of skilled normal people.

Why eugenics would become outlawed?

Because it's a ass backward idea? Who decide that someone deserve to die? I mean look at Stephen Hawking, the most genius mind in the world and he's almost comatose. If we live in a world where eugenic is a common thing they're gonna put a bullet in him when his body starts failing.

Eugenic supporters tend to be people who believe that they are part of the survivors of the so called "cleansing."

Well, in the plot eugenics helped by DNA manipulation took a turn to militaristic ideals because every outworld colony and their mother thought the other colonies were improving their genetic pool in order to invade their neighbors prompting many cold wars.

Many colonies failed because DNA was improved to be stronger than the enemy rather than adapt the alien environment, at the end eugenics were outlawed and eugenics subjects were hunted down like shutting down nuclear warheads.

Ask Hotwheels

That's actually pretty interesting approach. I suggest you check orionsarm.com/ for references. It's a pretty interesting website about sci fi world written by users. Pretty much a collaborative effort like SCP. In that human alteration is pretty common. Pretty rare to see unaltered Homo Sapien and some people are altered completely to adapt to different environment.

But the plot is set many years after the outlawing, by the time the plot begins there's only two eugenics subjects, one is a psycho and his daughter, and the other which is immortal but not invulnerable

Kinda like "A new hope" to the prequels.

Kinda pretentious but I see your point, but in your world's past you have eugenics, supernatural stuff, space travel… don't you think your lore background could be more interesting than your plot?

FUCK, MARRY, KILL AND WHY
YOUR OWN CHARACTERS EDITION

Yeah, this.
Haven't you guys felted that it would be easier to write a straight plot around the back story of your world rather than the present you're writing?

Wouldn't hurt trying

Try which, the present or the backstory?

Writing a straight plot about your world doesn't really make for a terribly interesting read. It's essentially the equivalent of a history book save for being about a place/history that doesn't actually exist.

Present

I say build the plot first.

What I meant was for example, if you have Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul relatively thought out. Why would you choose to do not knowing their respective success.

I'm not sure what you're asking. Better Call Saul and Breaking Bad are both narratives in the traditional sense, with narrative and plot.

Pretty good though.

This

Yeah, I fucked that up.
Better example.
You're writing Breaking Bad, and in the process of creating Saul Goodman's character you come up with his backstory, and you like it enough to realize it could be its own plot.
Which one would you decide to focuse on.

Like that guy, he has an space war plot with supernatural background and eugenics backstory, he gave a sinopsis on the eugenics=Cold War which is interesting on its own right to be its own plot.

Have you ever found yourself in a similar situation?
Which plot do you focus on and why?

That's a little easier to understand. It's a tough question to answer, and ultimately the answer is going to depend on a number of factors surrounding your current work. There are times where I've been writing and realized that the side plot boiling beneath my current plot, which can be applied to characters as well, are ultimately more interesting and decided to shift my focus to them instead. But that's when I'm just writing stuff on my own that I never really intend to upload or sell anywhere, I'm free to do that without it negatively affecting me or my other fiction in any way.

However, if you're already attached to and releasing whatever your current story is, then you kind of have an obligation to finish it or continue it. It's good to keep focused on what you're already cooking, rather than discovering a new recipe and tossing out the pot you've been stirring for half an hour.

It's pretty much impossible to give you a correct answer on that sort of question because it can lay either way. Shit, if you decide to abandon your current plot because you feel something might be more interesting it could turn out that you're actually wrong, for all I know. That Eugenics cold war could actually turn out to be really fucking boring to read about when his current story has several other scientific and magical elements at play in a grander mystery that likely has a larger affect on the world at large.

The writefag here.
Yes. At first I was struggling to find the style of my work until I found out that everyone had a relatively unique origin.
It wasn't an organized universe with wave coming civilizations like in Halo, it was more like a cloth made out of different rags sewed together and worn out by the passage of time at the same time a new cloth is being sewed over the existing ones.

Try going completely nuts with it.

Could you describe your plot with music?
I said once that I use music to inspire my writing.
I hear a song and I try to imagine a scene that fits it, the song taken by heartfelts in the YouTube library.
If a scene doesn't come I jump to the next song.

Since Vacuum uses relatively mainstream music and Bridge is still in very early state I'm posting Axolotl music.

So read your stuff and lurk for music and post results.

Again, the music list in Vacuum is much larger, but also Vacuum is more audience friendly than Axolotl so I don't think its that interesting for you guys

Shit.

Fuck me sideways.
Saging because don't wanna make it look like spam.

I forgot the most important part.
Close your eyes, turn off your screen and try to break from reality, all in your mind is your story, wait until everyone's asleep if you most.

How's your progress writefags?
Any new ideas for your stories?

Their still chucking

What?

This is a good challenge, doing it. Give me a bit

You all writefags need to watch "Naked Lunch" I'm in minute 13 and I already recommend it.
You could read the book if you want to but I like more visual writing like scripts that cut exposition and trust in your attention to understand the plot.

After much thought about it and a quick change and a drastic change of approach I finally got the back story on one character, and I actually cried to his backstory unlike before even if just made one little change.

At last ever since I started writing I have inspiration to write entire scripts, 3 actually, I can't wait to get my hands back to my PC and start writing.
And since I got most of my characters done it should be easier now.

Question.

Which cool weapons do you use in your story?

On the same note.
Would too small gears/clogs/sprockets in the belt and in the scabbard of a straight saber compensate its lack of curvature when doing draw cuts?

BTW, the gear has a break after 45 degrees so it stops and you can draw the sword out.

Cutlasses, flintlocks, and everything in between.

What's the setting?

How would it be if David Lynch and David Cronenberg decided to work together?

A fantasy universe starring anthropomorphic animal people

The current story I'm writing and may or may not adapt into a webcomic depending on whether or not I work out enough details with an artist friend of mine is set in the dawn of a pseudo industrial revolution, like right when it's about to kick off full-scale, so flintlocks and primitive firearms have taken the stage as rare but very effective weapons.

Listen, I know what it sounds like. Just take my word for it when I say it's not supposed to be your typical furshit.

I actually like it when the story is set in transition era. For example repeating rifles like M1 Carbine or Garand is not invented yet so people use the inferior, less efficient version. Imagine a repeating rifle with huge magazine and cumbersome reloading system and you must carry at least 2 of them along with an assistant to help reloading the rifle.

Mike, is that you?

I'm sorry for being such a normie. What is that?

Oh, it is actually filename. Okay.
Of course Cronenberg-Lynch=Fucking crazy jap.

Tetsuo: The Iron Man. A man slowly turned into machine. That scene was when they want to fuck but his dick turned into a drill.

imdb.com/title/tt0096251/

Fuck Final Draft.
Going back to Trelby.

You have to keep pushing

That fucking blows, I've had my shit get corrupted when I was about twenty pages into a short story before. Fucking killed any and all motivation I had to continue.

Use google docs

*sigh*

Go for a walk it'll help clear your mind

There's a chance he got mugged and got more depressed :p

kill yourself

I do now, that was years ago.

Theres no need to be down user.

Ice cream solves everything.

So I'm getting the music for "Bridge".
For some odd reason until now all is in spanish unlike Vacuum or AXOLOTL.

Nice

Im writing a story as well.

But have no idea how to summarize it

Try though

Whats the basic gist?

Currently working on a somewhat gritty fantasy that is being worked on from the inconvenience of a cellphone. But due to my circumstances, I'm willing to share a tad bit more than vague details, as I'd rather have a writer's-blocked user adapt/plagiarize/butcher my shit rather than take them to the grave.

A supernal phenomenon shakes the skies of a powerful kingdom, as events seen from above bring awe and fear to people from all levels. Aside from some some proprietary world building elements (races, religion, customs, history, politics, geography etc.) it's a deliberate satire of a human-less fantasy land.

The prelude of the story starts from the perspective of a young serf elf boy whom's loses most of his immediate family to a "falling star". Cleric-guided scouting parties are sent to investigate the anomalies. In response to the disappearance of any and all groups sent out, a massive draft is held to amass a giant army to destroy the unknown threat. Time passes on as stories are told of various groups being annihilated by demons possessing powerful magic.

The serf elf is than sent to a sparse woodlands among several thousand others to get hitscanned and watch his friends die while Adaigo For Strings plays . In a last ditch effort to continue the fight, he gutshots a slowly approaching figure with a dead ally's crossbow. With the last of his strength, he drags himself to the fallen invader, only to see a starving human expy girl look at him with hopelessness with a strange object besides her. The last thing he hears and sees is a mildly distant wail followed by a bright flash.

Would you like to know more?

Sure i guess.

How much grit are we talking?

Weird question to ask, finishing up a play script but do you ever feel like you dont write enough? Like it goes too fast? What do?

Act it yourself.
Remember than different characters talk at different paces.
Also find your own style maybe you like slower moods, and a bit of filler dialogue or no nonsense and to the bones dialogue.

So I had this script idea.
A man drives his 12 year old daughter for summer break across the country until they arrive at some little town to rest but the girl gets kidnapped which prompts the dad to save her and then its revealed that he didn't called the authorities because he is a pedophile and isn't even her real father instead buying her from some child dealers, as the story progress he realizes he isn't above the other the other pedophiles who kidnapped her as he thought he was just because he wasn't violent to her, kills the pedo kidnappers, surrenders to the police but the girl has developed a perpetual Stockholm syndrome.

I'm calling it "Bitter Cherries".

Holy shit yes, normies would eat you alive if halfway trough the movie they realize they'd been rooting for a pedo.
I want to see their faces.

Implying he even gets pitched.

He would have to go to the guys who made Drive or Serbian Film (which apart from the theme is really normal looking).

Coolio.

So continuing the story from the other perspective, a funeral+rally speech is held by a group of colonists. Few of them know what or how the interstellar conflict started but it's put aside, as no signs of rescue nor persecution are seen.

Refocusing on the current situation, they desperately try to rally survivors for retaliatory strike against the kingdom during a marriage ceremony conducted in a similar fashion to the Thunder Run during the 2003 Iraq War. City and morale is thrashed and
talks of peace are considered due to its success until several sex slaves and their news were recovered.

Inner conflicts for the Colonists involve sparing the host races for assistance if their knees can be bent while others are 100% Remove Knifear. Conflicts in-kingdom involve religious protest of the conflict, limiting the number of those with strong magic to be used against the Colonists, as they wish to learn the "powers" they possess.

Thoughts?

Fair amount in both aesthetic and plot. Hard to pitch a hard sci-fi with the ADHD of such readers so the idea was laced together based off of the real life 1561 Nuremberg event. So aside from several mass strongholds, the colonists are forced to fight mostly as guerillas due to deficient resources and manpower. Things are hold how they would be without today's SJW historic revisionism. Of course each side has its heros that I have yet to mention as well as lighthearted moments, but it remains predominantly plot driven.

Tl;dr
It makes GATE, Steven Universe, and Adventure Time its bitches.

I literally only know how to write in script format, and I'm out of practice because writing in script format is hella lame.

Then practice on your strength

So this are my plots, I'm planning to continue the main one but when looking for music is really getting hard to know which one I'm thinking about.

After getting into the army to improve their lives a fire team of soldiers battle a rebel reaction that soon calls for an official civil war.

A metaphysical story about a stoic but shy detective who's trying to catch the murderer version of himself who at the time is going trough an emotional background about how awful his life has become due to murdering prostitutes.

A man sicked of the safety of his home town and following a beautiful girl decides to cross the bridge into the savage wasteland of the outside but the savagery the girl drags him into may be too much for him.

A pedophile and his brainwashed "daughter" travel to a small town for vacation but she gets kidnapped, now he has to save her while asking himself if he's morally above the people he's fighting.

Flatline Walker
A man induces himself into dying and reviving so he can fight the evil monsters on the other side, the thing is these monsters are the potential harm a person can make even when that person has done nothing wrong, so when he kills a monster a person dies, at the same time he must avoid getting in contact with his own monster.

I meant breakdown not background

You have one messed up mind user

Yes.

You've sold me on Bitter Cherries and AXOLOTL. Easily 8/10 reads. The rest are likely closely related to the details, so I can't say too much. But please, even if you're one of those 'idea guy' assclowns, follow up these prompts. Hell, flesh them out. They're better than what publisher mules shit out on a weekly basis.

The number is the amount of progress, I wanna start AXOLOTL but shit is hard, Vacuum has 132 pages already written and Bridge 10.

Just Like Write Story

What?

Not exactly, but this probably does it best. It doesn't quite get the mood of it, which is more in line with VtM:BL, parts of oWoD, Soul Eater, The Fearless Vampire Killers, and old Slav and German folklore.

I have the opposite issue. Starting stories and completing first arcs is not too difficult, but after that things get much tougher to deal with for me.

Just plan out the end goal and anything that happens in between is youf story archs

How does one into writing comedy? Are there any tips, tricks, or even books that go into the subject?

Comedy is likely the most subjective of all genres, sorry mate.

Eric Idle came up with some theories in his SF novel The Road To Mars.
And the secret of comedy was a minor plot point in Alexei Sayles' book Geoffrey the Tube Train and the Fat Comedian.
Milk and Cheese explained some of the rules in the strip where they kill a lot of stand-up comedians.

I'll definitely check them out, thanks

Watch someone do it then try to replicate it if you really don't believe in yourself

I was trying to write a story about how Elsa and her kingdom had to deal with the Papacy who decided to excommunicate Arandelle after they found out that the kingdom is led by a snow witch. I did some research and found out that Frozen was set around 1830s-1840s and at that time the Papacy political power was pretty weak thanks to Napoleon and liberal movement. I was hoping to write a full invasion, a different crusade against Arandelle and how the kingdom had to deal with the defenses and many Catholic Arandelle citizens leaving the kingdom en masse.

Either I set the time setting way back (thus destroying the actual setting) or it's set in alternate universe where French revolution failed and they still support and fund the Papacy, but it will complicate the story more.

What the actual fuck?
Ok, sounds fun, when you're done post some interesting pages to look at it.

I was an avid Medieval Total War player. In that game when Pope excommunicate a kingdom other kingdoms went full sperg and always create a crusade to conquer said land. So you can go full crusade on, say, Dane Kingdom when the Danes invaded another Catholic kingdom one time too many.

A little spoiler for the plot: After Weaselton lost their trade deals with Arandelle after the event in the movie, the duke sent a messenger to the Pope. Weaselton's duke hoped that his army can join the crusade against Arandelle and burn that kingdom to the ground. Meanwhile the excommunication caused a huge rift in Arrandelle society as the population was divided between the Queen's loyalists and the devout Catholics.

There are many different types of comedy that you can write.

Absurdist comedy, which is ridiculous to the core, where the world itself is one big joke. The universe exists for the sole purpose of poking fun at itself or other things, like uh… Monty Python but even a little more over the top.

You've got situation comedy, which is usually worked into more standard narratives. Your characters or whatever get placed into a scenario where their more silly traits get to play off of something in something akin to excess. The normally stoic muscle manly man has to engage in a tea party with a twelve year old girl. Shit like that.

Then there's comedy that arrives through dialogue and character interaction. Where your characters play off of each other in such a way that their personality results in a more natural sort of comedy.

Most importantly, the number one aspect behind comedy, the thing that makes or breaks it, is timing. It can be the best punchline in the world but if you deliver it at the wrong time then you've fucked it.

You're already writing really autistic fanfiction, might as well just roll the clock back.

Frozen didn't even claim to take place in our world, but was only inspired by it. Why would you abide by these rules if source material didn't.

Besides that, you should consider logistics and motivations for launching an actual crusade in a country far enough north for reindeer to be around - real crusades were about political influence instead and religion was only an excuse. And since citizens are leaving en masse, who would be fighting invaders? Neighboring countries using "crusade" as an excuse for conquest or factions of natives using that the same excuse to start a revolution or civil war sound more likely.

Actually after thinking about it there's a good motivation for that. See, in that time the power of Papacy is pretty weak because the France monarchy fell and they were the biggest supporter of papacy (and obviously the biggest monetary source as well). So creating a crusade in this alternate universe against a heretical country can unite them under one banner. Also logistic system is better at that time compared to crusade for Jerusalem.

Bump because I firmly believe that this threads should die at bump limit.

Just started AXOLOTL but had to change my writing style from Vacuum to something less formulaic.

Look, if Napoleon can muster almost 500,000 people to invade Russia then a semi-organized fanatics of around 7000 men can do pretty well. Also since I was out of town and the only device I have right now is a tablet I had to resort to write em in typical pen and paper draft first.