McAfee Privacy Phone

Software engineers, many years ago, figured out how to power off a phone using software commands. It was cool and neat and thrilled the software community. Before long, every Smartphone manufacturer had incorporated this coolness into their phones. The hacker community was both salivating at the open invitation and rolling in the floor in laughter.

Why? Because if a software command is used to power down the phone, then that command can be intercepted by malware or spyware and the hacker then has control over when and if the phone is powered down. That means that spyware can intercept the software switch to turn the phone off. The Spyware then simulates a power down, ending with a blank screen. But the phone is still on and is spying. If you doubt this then read this article.

Eventually, every hackable function of smartphones was controlled by software switches, giving full access to hackers to control the Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, geolocation, camera, microphone, the factory reset function, automatic system updates, erc. We have given the keys to the kingdom, blindly and willingly, to the world’s hackers.

Pleas from the cybersecurity community to smartphone manufacturers to fix this this horrific problem by returning to the less “cool” air gapped physical switches have fallen on deaf ears. In desperation, I decided to do it myself.

The John McAfee privacy phone contains a bank of switches on the back cover that allow the user to physically disconnect the battery, the antennas for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and geolocation, the camera and microphone, etc. It also will not allow the phone to connect to a Stingray or any other IMSI catcher device. In addition, it contains a web search anonymizer to prevent web searches from triggering an avalanche of ads to buy T-shirts whenever a user does does a web search for T-shirts.

It is version 1. It is not hack proof. But it does give the user enormous power over his or her privacy and it is light years ahead of the Blackphone or any other phone claiming to be secure. It will be available in August of this year. Version 2 will be available early 2018. It will as hack proof as humanly possible.

mgtci.com/datastreamx/john-mcafee-on-the-privacy-phone-why-and-how

Does it come with a cute Central American loli? I heard McAfee's into that.

So am I.

2017 is shaping up well already.

Choose one.

The switches are a neat idea but honestly seem more like a placebo than anything. If you're running a smart phone using the manufacturers/carriers software, hardware and networks you're basically fucked. Granted the average user has nothing to worry about but if you're worried about mass surveillance these things are nothing but trouble. Similarly if you were for whatever reason specifically targeted and you have a phone it's as good as compromised. I also don't trust McAfee for shit and feel like he's a blow hard showman pandering to the technically illiterate hipsters. Probably an insider of some kind who can't be trusted as well.

I agree the physical switches are a good idea but they'll only work if people are patient enough to use them. I'm guessing he's taking a page out of Project Ara and is using Greybus to handle the hotswapping of addons. Apparently he already has an order of 160,000 with 50,000 additional monthly orders. Maybe he got a government contract?

The AV isn't his fault, he sold it years ago.

Okay I guess. McAfee is still shit.

considering how batshit crazy he is and how often he was drugged off his mind there's a big chance he was careless enough to be recorded banging a 11yo filipino boy which will be used to request him into adding backdoors to his phone

Even if there were video do you really think he would care? he married a black hooker and moved to central america to run a drug lab.

McAffee the anti-virus was ruined after he sold it off to some fucktards.

He's a Mitnick era hacker. Made money fighting viruses, sold it and spent it on hookers and blow running from the Feds.
Strong ethics only when it comes to personal freedoms.

Nokia 3310 anyone?

im hyped to see this

Remember when people hacked consoles with modchips? And they had a switch that changed bootroms,
so you didn't get banned from xbox live or whatever. what if we took the idea further and madet
a smartphone that has 2 memory chips,a "airgapped" memory and a "untrusted memory" when you
throw the switch the phone reboots into an untrusted communication rom with minimal attack
surface, mics and radios enabled and "airgapped" memory is powered off/copy on write or somthing

mcafee is batshit insane, not sure how much i trust this. though its a neat idea

I think the main problem with that might be modem isolation. You want to be *sure* that the modem is not powered since it might listen and receive communication if it's not acutally used by the firmware.

You could definitely achieve that with software, but then you get the same problem as described by McAfee with malware pretending the modem is powered off, when it really isn't.

A hardware switch is the most simple and secure solution, the only way to hack it would be to physically tamper with it, which, if done by factory backdoor, would get shown pretty quickly by independent researchers and done as an intercept would only be worth it for top priority targets.

I'm looking forward to this, hopefully the concept will be copied by some cheapo Chinese manufacturer.

Mcafee is the biggest shiite software on the planet.

Fuck them. They thoroughly pozz everything with their bloatware and try to use scare tactics to have people use their software.

You realize John McAfee has nothing to do with McAfee Anti-Virus anymore, right?

He sold it off years ago and the Software Jew retained the name.

Easy guide user:

How is this at all useful? Just buy any phone that has a removable battery and use it for calls and texts only. This isn't hard. Smartphones are dumb because they all have proprietary hardware and baseband/bootloader software at the very least. The drivers for stuff like cameras or graphics are hit or miss, but are usually closed source too. This phone is going to be literally worthless unless he open sources everything down to the bootROM and puts out schematics so we can verify that the hardware is properly isolated (so we know they aren't placebo switches).

This is a stupid idea. Even if you could switch over to a flash chip containing a free and open source operating system and bootloader, you still have other problems like making sure the modem is isolated (meaning it goes through the SoC, kernel, and an abstraction layer to get to devices instead of connecting directly) which is difficult.

Pozzed.

This man ran for President and lost to a lolcow who can't handle drugs and has legitimate brain damage.

I remember when the Raspberry Pi first came out.

The thought of using it to make a libre, Debian-based phone OS for the thing with a small screen and a physical keyboard was enough to make me cum. Alas, the community didn't seem to like the idea and I'm too poor and too useless to try such a project.

Not to mention, the darn thing didn't have a libre boot, or hardware, so it's a moot point anyway.

lel
McAfee is a cool guy, though.

... kindly explain?

It was fine before he left the company and sold his stake in it.

It's a good, autistic kind of insane though.

Btw I meant Gary Johnson, not Trump >.>