Free software is the basis of all security in computing

"free software is the basis of all freedom in computing and all security in computing" - richard stallman

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_Ii78T0Ge_Q
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs's_principle
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
stallman.org/articles/extreme.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox#Commercial_deployment
twitter.com/AnonBabble

shitposting aside, a wise state would insist on either free software or at least privately developed (by it's native people) software.

Also, install gentoo.

Free as in freedom, Chaim.

Hello Holla Forums, did you finally realize that the Holla Forums shitposting in your board was orchestrated by freech? Also, you're 100% right about free open source software.

Congratulations OP, you're almost as gay and retarded as Richard Stallman. Try having sex with a parrot to level up.

it was not me who said it, but Richared "the Lionheart" Stallman

Stallman is a pedantic autist but he's right about this particular issue. "Free as in freedom" software is intrinsic to the way we use computers today, we often don't notice how hugely influential it has remained.

Sage for not politics, but I would personally like to see more FOSS contributions by governments.

youtube.com/watch?v=_Ii78T0Ge_Q

is it not Holla Forums orientated… what with all those useful guides on combating the shilling this post about security is not Holla Forums?

Free software is anything but communistic. Copyright law and software patents are a perversion of markets through government fiat in the first place.

I work for Red Hat (one of the most prominent for-profit free software companies), ask me anything.

fug off commie, only stallman is autistic enough to call a restriction imposed by licensing a "freedom"

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerckhoffs's_principle

Studying how a program works, sharing copies of a program, improving a program and distributing one's improvements to a program and ultimately being able to make unlimited use of software for any purpose are forms of restriction?

hey, God bless you sir or mam. thanks for all your work… i'm presently using Fedora

from a security admin. BULLSHIT.

freeware or free software always comes with a catch.

Either at the very least adware. Some of which can inject code into your computer. Hey..that free software company does't care. their product is free. And they will take money from anyone.

Or it's laden with vulnerabilities that usually aren't patched. cause it's free.
So if it's popular enough. Congratulations! You have just made your computer less secure.

Free is not where it's at

What about muh shekels, goy?

Hey Mordecai and Levi, how about you gas yourselves with your fucking cancerous proprietary software ridden with backdoors that leak all info straight to ZOG.

so by this logic surely fedora or redhat is a 'monstrous surveillance engine" driven by the desire for profit?

Google search "what is free software?", or:
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

ubuntu is more of my flavor tbh

Free software licensing doesn't preclude distributing copies in exchange for a fee (on the part of the license holder, of course), so, yeah, it really is only Moshe and friends who would suffer.

"For Circumcision verily profiteth if thou keepe the Law: but if thou be a breaker of the Law, thy Circumcision is made uncircumcision.

26 Therefore, if the uncircumcision keepe the righteousnesse of the Law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for Circumcision?

27 And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfill the Law, judge thee, who by the letter, and Circumcision, doest transgresse the Law?

28 For hee is not a Jew, which is one outwardly, neither is that Circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:

29 But he is a Jew which is one inwardly, and Circumcision is, that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter, whose praise is not of men, but of God."

You guys fund Pottering don't you? When is systemDicks going to swallowing Linus' Linux?

lol gas yourself, Schlomo. I'm not worshipping your degenerate anti-property rights idol.

NOTHING is free on "redhat" that is business application practical worth while
All of it is turning to demo.
Here try this, if you like it buy it.

I run both windows and cent OS in my domain. Network engineer and consultant for 20 years.

why is lennart pottering such a fucking cunt? and tell me about systemd.

Thank you for correcting the record.

Yeah, It hasn't yet? Engineering must be behind schedule.

You can run the free version of all of their products just like CentOS; Wildfly, openstack, openshift origin, etc.

Instead you're worshiping the Jew, got it. Enjoy becoming a slave in 3 years.

Is systemd actually that much of a fiasco? Why? Are you planning a solution?

name me a good backup solution tha'ts made for cent OS and is FREE
I CHALLENGE YOU, cock bag

And by backup solution. HP tape drive compatible.
can backup files and exchange and do a granular recovery.

COME ON, smart fucking ass…..DARE YA…..

love is the light by which we walk all of these paths of darkness. love is our clairvoyance.

Technically, Stallman is the Jew.

Now add to that backup solution
SQL backup
and VMWARE backup

that is totally free

*waiting…………..

BSD licensing isn't THAT bad…

And add to that backup solution, can backup open files. (usually use shadow copy technology for this)

Go ahead, still waiting.

Gee. i cant' wait to get my free backup solution for this.

I don't think Redhat cares that much about systemd opposition. They're sticking with it for now.

You'd probably laugh at what we use internally; mostly a lot of rsync scripts and netapp drives.

lelelel

stallman.org/articles/extreme.html

Yes, because i run the fucking criminal database for an entire country. Ya, im that important.

I would laugh at any solution provided for free. But i am always "all ears" if someone can get me something for free, that has no ad ware or anything else attached to it. Why the fuck not.

Im not bashing Linux. And i will never bash windows either

each has it's place.

But to say Linux rocks cause all software should be free
Fuck right off with that stupidity right there. People need to be paid for their work.
If you want decent software on ANY fucking platform. Period.

If your a small ma and pa shop. Sure, some flavour of linux will give you freely whatever the fuck you need. But usually they go with windows anyways, cause they dont' have an in house IT guy that can geek out with their fav flavour of linux

But that's kinda pointless when it comes to REAL business.

noble sir, of course stallman says: "free as in 'libre', not free as in 'gratis'"

i think that the 'libre software' is also a matter of protecting oneself from various forms of covert espionage and whatnot…

Fuck of kike, stop shilling your botnet

stall man is either a coder who can build his own shit. So he doesn't give a fuck.

Or a moron.

Cause i can just imagine this senario.

Entire judiciary of X country held at a stand still because the primary db client software cannot do X and it was free so there is absolutely no support except if your lucky, you have a forum.

LOL

your ass is grass. Your stress level woudl rocket to heart attack or heart aneurysm level in less than a year.

im no kike, you fucking idiot. Canadian, born and raised. French Canadian at that. Now living in a Caribbean country.

i believe some linux stuff does do tech support, right?

i know at least ubuntu does, but i don't really view ubuntu as 'libre software' the way that i view redhat or fedora as 'libre software'

if you cannot view the code of software and you do not know what is in the code, technically, without you knowing, could it not contain various forms of covert espionage? (not sure if there is a way to also utilize covert espionage, such as encrypted nests/loops, etc… with 'libre software')

You do know that some free software is sold right? Ardour provides the source code to their program and you can compile it yourself if you know how. You can even take their code, compile it and distribute it freely or charge money for it.

Just because it's free software doesn't mean it's freeware.

yes, but YOU PAY for it, right?

so it's not "libre" is it?

who gives a fuck if you can view the code.

What is funny is that this isn't that uncommon.

rsync "just werks"

"You do know that some free software is sold right"

"free software is sold"

seriously……….

so again.

I need backup software (lets face it, this is paramount to any important domain)
that does exchange granular recovery. Open file backup. Vmware backup on a tape drive.

Well………..

challenge still hasn't been met

I hate to burst all of your bubbles. But just your conversations tell me, your hack admins "at best".

End of story. Sorry. not trying to be rude.

Either that, or your still helpdesk guys. Trying to fight the "good fight"

well guess what. when you get as high as i am. that fight is long gone.

you either produce or get the fuck out of the way, cause someone else is going to do it. Cause the money is too fucking good.

*shrugs

well, the paying/paying not would be 'gratis', not necessarily 'libre'

so then, it is revealed that your god is money. i'd rather worship the jewish God than worship money

A lot of companies "purchase" free software or do what you would equate to purchasing it by donating generously to the development of it because they wish for the development and support of it to continue.

Having said that, un yea, I guess there isn't a freely distributed backup system that addresses your needs. is that your whole point?

Sorry but money comes first.

I will be retired by 50. (4 more years)

no my point is, ANY "real" domain level worthy application. You will always fucking pay. have I not made my point clear on this already?

ma and pa shops, might be good enough for "libre"

But in real business. It's always pay to play. Unless you have specific coders you pay on the pay roll to build your own shit. And that's fucking rare. It's more cost effective to just buy what you need.

sorry there, if i may ask, what do you mean by "that fight is long gone"?

i do not trust proprietary software. i much prefer software that is 1) open source 2) free of cost 3) openly audited by security experts.

i dislike the GPL and its derivatives/versions. the reason being that once a piece of software is GPL'd it cannot be undone. not even a small piece of a GPL'd program can be later distributed under a different license.

GPL provides a certain kind of "freedom," but not real freedom.

there are better alternatives to the GPL. there are licenses that permit source code to be redistributed with any other license in the future.

it is not legal to compile GPL'd software into binary, and then sell it. on the other hand, other licenses do allow that. i believe that the core of apple's mac os is derived from such software.

i am under the impression that most most linux and gnu people are autistic communists. others are probably too ignorant or uninterested in such matters and just distribute their software with the GPL because they see everyone else doing it.

linux and gnu are now infested with SJWs and all kinds of liberals. but even on a technological level they are deficient. linus torvalds, creator of linux, believes that security issues in his software are the same thing as bugs that affect usability. of course, the difference between a program suffering a trivial glitch vs. a program allowing remote access to your personal data are two very different things.

the push by systemd people to pervert and destroy linux is not coincidence or anything else. it is a targeted attempt to destroy a a piece of software that gives users access to privacy and security not found on other systems. there are currently still some linux distros that are not pozzed, but their numbers shrink by the day.

at this stage the only os i feel is trustworthy is openbsd. it is also distributed under a permissive license.

Ubuntu + numix for desktop
arsch for laptop

I'm sorry you don't work for canonical
Very true, if it weren't for imaginary property created by the government in the first place, the software 'market' wouldn't exist in the first place. Free software is not communist.

Literally the idea of selling software, especially operating systems that haven't innovated since the invention of the GUI, is the definition of jewing.

Not really, I installed Ubuntu on my main desktop because I was fed up with windows. If I REALLY wanted a copy of Windows I would fucking torrent one, but they haven't made a single improvement since 7, and are going to push it out of date, because they're a bunch of fucking kikes.

Shit to further this "libre' bullshit

Look at open office

Now imagine my users for example. No official training. I can't imagine rolling that software out. Yup, it does "pretty much" what MS office does.

But you have absolutely no support unless you pay for it
And if the users are coming from a MS enviornment. 95% of business's use MS. Are you going to hold the fucking training classes for open office?
then the entire support of open office.

Now imagine you sold yoru corp on "libre" so they say "fuck ya..we pay nothing"
so imagine they find a bug. Say ..email doens't recall.
who the fuck you going to call to fix it?
Huh?
wait for the next version of libre

not to mention, heaven forbid you do sharepoint. Holy fuck, the can of worms your opening up…..guh…

no thanks.

AWESOME…

so name me one peice of open source software that is free, that will do granular recovery of ANY email system.
and at the same time, backup open files and vmware.

Your full of shit, if you think anyone that knows what they are doing. thinks you in any way. Work in any environment that is more than a ma and pa store.

i can't believe you haven't been fired after 20 years because it is blatantly obvious you are incompetent

nobody cares about your autistic ramblings, go fuck a cactus cryptokike

I used to be like all of you. Try doing the good fight "free and open source is better"

It's all bullshit

Just like those dick bags that rice up their honda's.
it's still a fucking honda.
Think because you put 10K worth of aftermarket parts you turn a family honda into a sports car LOL. Gee, you sure are smarter than ferrari, porsche, and lambourghini.

The bottom line. You pay for software, unless you are a fucking VERY RARE and UNIQUE environment that programs their own shit.

i have worked for fortune 500 companys. The largest airports in the world.
I would gladly put my IT knowledge up against yours, dick head. Any….. fucking…. day……

But nice bait.

Free software is the ultimate gibsmedat.

Cyclane, get it, put it on your computer

you will see what im talking about.

(but then again, im expecting you to also know what a security admin does) LOL. wasting my time, i suppose

Who cares if shit is free or not, if you can't get caught, just steal it

Jared?

surely they've innovated somewhat?

how about windows xp to windows vista?

Hey man … it is gibsmedat … demanding free shit. Prove me wrong.

lmao dude. this trolling tactic is kinda fresh

King of the thread believes he and his opinion is better than anyone else's, because of the feelings of importance given to him by his job title.
Most likely he blames his own inaptitude on FOSS, and belongs to the Google and copy-paste category of shit sysadmin.

They've made money
Changing the UI doesn't really count as innovative.
At least in Linux, you can have a UI that you can't complain about, because there are so many fucking options.
Same with 10, I'd still use 7 if it supported 3 tb partitions. UEFI support is about the only good thing that has changed since 7, I suppose.

kike

Well where have you worked? since you seem to know more than I do. gee. this should be interesting.

Oh wait,you don't need experience. You have an opinion.
LOL

Well, still waiting for my challenge to be broken.

Oh wait……..you havne't been able to do it either.

LOL…go back to moms basement

As long as the license is kept this is perfectly legal and done all the time. When you buy an old game that was made for DOS it always comes with DOSBox:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOSBox#Commercial_deployment

This just one of many examples where GPL'd software is sold.

kek

I never said that

But when you have windows in your environement. Or actually any OS.
You do DNS monitoring of all traffic, especially outside.
Never give local admin privs.
have a strong content filter
disable IE. Use firefox NOT chrome.
ect ect.

But with your Debian. Join it to the domain and roll out your updates and domain configs with GPO…oh wait..you can't. (ya you can join it to a domain and basic security and shares…woooooo)

Ahah…gee, how the fuck does this guy do it.

Im like trump and your shillary.

linux kernel is bloated full of security holes & no one reviews the code.

OpenBSD is probably the best OS

but requires a learning curves and there is no one to hold your hand and spoon feed you.

you are right. i wasn't explicit enough in my post. i meant to say something along the lines of "you can't sell GPL'd stuff under a different name with a different license."

of course, if i am not mistaken, apple did just that with darwin. they took bsd, modified it to their needs, gave it a different name, and now distribute it as closed source proprietary software.

the darwin kernel is actually open source

The entire foundations of the Internet runs on free software.
I happen to run a HA private scientific computing cluster, SaaS frontend, a corporate intranet.
All running 100% free software, figure yourself.
Not by ideology, simply because it does the job perfectly. I can sustain my company using free software because unlike you, I'm technologically educated not an incompetent fuck.

You spew incessant bullshit and obviously you don't even know what free software is. You're fucking retarded, kill yourself.

its insecure because you didn't have to pay for it, user

Well from W7 - W10 they added a whole bunch of proprietary spyware that phones home to Redmond (even if you try to switch it off at GPO and registry levels).

While I appreciate sperg-lord 2e4992's attempted nuking of this thread he is quite committed to his product. Microsoft is ripe for someone to rape their ass on the PC market since a large majority of ERP systems are moving to cloud based scenarios. Frankly I hate to say it, ChromeOS (although somewhat abandoned) looked like the way to go for a corporate environment especially a thin environment.

If it is cloudy it is device agnostic and the granularity of a chromeOS for system administration and control is quite appealing.

Microsoft pissed of a bunch of people with Windows 10 and I shudder to think what Server 16 is going to surprise everyone with. But guess what, corporatefags will continue to license it and continue to buy it because "muh certification" and their incumbency. They will also continue to get hacked and their shit will get leaked because "muh lazy ass system administrators."

This is actual reality

So we have ONE company out of BILLIONS.
that doens't run any form of exchange, or SQL ( or versions of linux equals) that need backups.

you have no client software that needs support

I see…..

well congratulations.

you speak for EVERYONE!!!!!!!!

at least im being honest and speaking for the MAJORITY of business' out there.

but hey, lets forget that important point.

Free software presents integrity risks, I agree.
Security through obscurity is a useful thing in practice.

That is not Stallman's point whis I suppose refers to the principle of confidentiality.
This one can be verified by availability of source code.

PS, how big is your company. And do you provide them with "corporate internet" email?

Wondering about this?

look at that. i need to stop making assumptions.

now, the question i have is: could apple have released darwin under the apple open source license if the original code (bsd) was GPL'd? additionally, it seems that some of the drivers shipped with darwin are proprietary, and i don't know if that would be permitted under the GPL.

copyright stuff is not something i understand well.

Yes you will get a lot of agreement on this point I'm sure, particularly here.

there is no other email software than Microsoft Exchange. As a security admin, you should know this.

linux versino of SQL cannot be backed up without some paid software so that guy doesn't actually back anything up.

the majority of businesses trust in Microsoft's judgement, backed with their own technological discernment, and use Exchange and SQL Server

And just so you know. I worked for a fortune 500 company.
that ran sun.
But low and behold. They had linux desktops and a duplicate windows box. Becuase MS email was far superior than anything linux could do.
So how do you back up that, shit face? And more importanly, someone wants a specific email recovered. How you doing that in your corporate internet 8)

There are other alternatives to exchange.

I won't assume your an admin. But as an Admin, I know this.

Your second point, not correct. You can back mysql up. But restore it granularly. (along with your alternate version of exchange) *not to mention, the free software that does not do this. EVER.
And your 3rd point. Agreed.

lamo holy shit dude

fortune 500 company that made chips for cisco

But go ahead, think it was chump change

We had offices in san diego, all the way to china (the fab branch)
they all did the same thing.

The windows box was because OUTLOOK had more functionality than any thunderbird or bullshit could do, with an exchange email server.

you know what…fuck off, you fucking smarmy no nothing.

Why don't you look that up on a search engine.

Dont' need to. Experience has told me everything i need to know

its what happens when you let your companies get tied up into proprietary software. its never about doing anything spectacular (*granular* backups lololol), it's about lock-in.

ive worked at hospitals that still use 15 year old windows xp simply because they have 1 application that was never updated to any succeeding OS.

and then it becomes reasonable to have to maintain 2 computers per user. or two computers per patient. or it becomes reasonable to use 15 year old blatantly insecure OS for handling patient data

sure bro

im entirely wrong.

that's why MS has 90+ % of the business market

im fucking so wrong and your so right.

*rolls eyes.

trump vs hillary and sadly, you are all hillary.

Nuclear plz

(27)

Sweet Christ isn't autism in a thread like this defined at 20? Jesus man put down the coffee, go get some fresh air. You made your point now shut the fuck up and stop fucking the thread over. You love Microsoft, we get it, got it around your 12th post. Now you are being fucking obnoxious.

btw I think you are completely wrong and full of shityou also just got filtered:^)

(checked)
exactly this.