Asterix Obelix Thread

So what Holla Forums opinion for this series? It got everything. From adventure to humor and great fight scenes. And yet there's so few fans in America.

Other urls found in this thread:

yout*ube.com/watch?v=JOhRhq6Pr6g
thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/07/can-asterix-finally-conquer-the-us.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's friggin great, and this is coming from an American. Want me to story time the first book?

Go ahead. We need more activity in Holla Forums

Somebody storytime some to counteract the shitposters.

A non neglictible part of the series charm comes from a lot of French culture related puns and references, hence why it's not as popular in English speaking countries.

It's very popular in the Netherlands.

Then why not alter it so it use American related puns and references. I mean I'm not French nor American and the comic was translated to our language with its own puns and references. The series got so popular here because the translator did brilliant job making new puns and jokes.

Except Asterix in America, the 2D movies are awesome. And the First live-action movie was ok.

Every other movie was shit. Try to prove me wrong. You cant

Spaniard here. Asterix is as funny in spanish as it is.

Ausfag here. We pretty much grow up with Asterix and Tintin comics in every school, and I can vouch for the quality of the translation, and the way they replace all the untranslatable and colloquial humour with new jokes and bad puns.

Heh heh, Vercingetoryx laying his arms on Caesar's feet instead of at them still cracks me up.

kek

Why? In German the Chief's name is Majestix.

They did translate the puns, even the latin jokes or rather rewrote them in a sensible and appropriate way in English. And from what I heard the Spanish, Italian, etc. editions received similar treatments. Asterix's translation was localisation done right, ie. by professional linguists and not wannabe writers from San Fran.
Asterix not being big in eagleland is probably just a case of burgers hating reading in general

It's more likely that they never heard of this series here. I would have never known about this series if it wasn't for my mom bringing her collection of Asterix movies over from Germany.

I was a hardcore fan of this comic as a kid but now I'm not interested. Not that I find it bad now, I'm just sort of over it.
In Chile back in the 90s Asterix wasn't too easy to find, even in comic book stores, so all of my friends got to read it by coming to my house and reading it here. I made a lot of fans of Asterix by buying it and then recommending it to other kids.

Actually they had a 3d movie in 2014 that was pretty good, not live action and not trying to be, like that terrifying Tintin movie.
Original script, but done pretty well, very high paced, I watched all the cartoons as a kid and read most of the comics and this fit's in surprisingly well, much better then Uderzo's solo work at any rate.

Oh I remember that one too. The joke was so simple but I still laughed. He probably took all kind of weapons lying around just to do that shit.

I read American comics all the time and some comics full of corn like word bubbles. Happened often thanks to 22 pages format.

That's fine tho. We tend to move on. Except for Tintin. It have fanatic fans.

Fishmonger: Unhygenyx
Village elder: Geriatrix
Dog: Dogmatix
Blacksmith: Fullyautomatix
Chief's wife: Impedimentia

I'm an idiot, it's actually an adaption of one of the comics, one of the later ones but still with Goscinny's writing.

Asterix is in every school library in Australia.

Might hafta look at that, really does look like the comics brought to life.

3D aint bad

I read an interesting essay on Asterix once, it pointed out that all the good characters have big noses, and the cunning characters have hooked noses, but Getafix the druid has a nose that is both big and hooked, showing that he is both good and cunning.

Every kid at least familiar with it in Poland, comics can be found in almost every public or school library, and all animated films (pre-America ones) are considered family classics. It is hilarious, and translated/interpreted in a way so that it can be both enjoyed by children and adults.

Americans (and Brits to a degree) just don't consume as much foreign media as people elsewhere. There is just so much things created in English, that it drowns out foreign things. Manga and Anime are only exceptions.

To think about it, he got this concoction that can be used by the rest of the Gauls to crush most of the Roman soldiers. And yet he kept it secret and only using it for his own village. The only time he agreed to share the concoction was when he agreed to help the Brits and even then they ended up using tea as their power fuel. There's several explanation why:

1. He realized that the Gauls, his own kin are a rowdy bunch that rarely have time for innovation. The Romans, no matter how oppressing they are introduced a lot of stuff to the Gauls like road system, water distribution and beaurecracy. He only kept his own village free from Roman hand because he lived there.

or

2. There's several books showing him meeting with fellow witch doctors. They kept stuff to themselves. So we can assume they are pretty egoistical in keeping their best innovation a secret. Even when it's needed for greater good.

So that's why his nose is both big and crooked. Also the villagers are dumb enough not to suggest to share the potion with Vercingetorix and the rest of Gaul people. Maybe they bonked their head a bit too much from fighting each other.

They probably saw the artwork for Asterix and assume that it's for children. Of course edgy kids in their puberty years prefer overtly muscular superhero doing hero stuff.

Or noodle toons

Yeah it's surprising how well the comic book style translates to 3D animation, hope they make more.

Celtic druids where extremely secretive cunts though, the reason they never had a written language before the romans was that it was considered haram by the druids, literally forbidden to write down their history or traditions.
And then there was all the drugs ofcourse, animal and human sacrifice, if anything Abraracourcix is pretty tame for a druid.

I really dislike the art in Asterix the Gaul, probably just because it is so different from the rest of them.

one of the greatest achievements of the french

the one in egypt was good

Dem awkward CGI effects. Dem awkward acting. Dem small number of casts because they only have $300 in budget and a truckload of baguette.

It cute, ill give it that

I can vouch for this one, excellently made, and im looking forward to the sequel. They turned an okay asterix book into a fucking well done movie. It's funny, very french, and the dubs was good (i dont think it ever got an english ) I was positively suprised by just how good it was

Also, a few of the older animated movies are fully placed on youtube

When I was a slim, blonde little boy with a cute shota dick my dad bought the first movie on VHS for me and brother and it was a great day.

There was nothing terrifying about it

What I appreciate from Tintin is that while other comic books with teen main characters tend to pull their punches but with Tintin he's willing to use guns and fight back even when it means killing someone. He knew he's dealing with thugs and not just convenience store ruffians.

I read the first few issues of this book recently. As an Amerifag, I liked it. It had a Popeye the Sailorman vibe to it. Maybe a cross between Popeye and Sergio Aregones' Groo the Wanderer would be a fair explanation. Some of the name-puns were genuinely funny to me, and I am surprised that these jokes translated well into English. The unique historical setting gave it just enough distinctiveness to not be redundant despite similarities to many other comics.

Did I enjoy it enough that I will go back for more? Maybe – but probably not. I'm constantly looking for something new, and after a few issues, Asterix and Obelix feels like I've read every issue even when I haven't.

Idea stagnation is the problem with many Asterix stories. It's usually rely on

Problem came to the village from inside or outside - The village send Asterix and Obelix (and sometimes another character related to the story) to other Roman ruled region - They met with the moronic pirates - Arrived and dealing with problems - Go home and partying.

Of course it's not all of them. In Asterix and the Olympics the whole village went to Greece to compete. In Asterix and the Gauls the story revolved around the village. There's also one where a clairevoyance came to the village causing conflict between villagers.

Did you succ his daddy mayo maker afterwards as a thanks later that day?

The point of druids was to memorise all their knowledge by rote. The rough line of thinking was that any daft cunt can look shit up in a book, but being a druid required years of training specifically because they had to memorise all folklore, spells and history in the form of poetry.

Similar logic went into Medieval Catholics only writing the bible in Latin. Only the well educated could hope to claim religious knowledge.

Druids probably knew a lot of their shit didn't make sense, and harsh religious control allowed religion to do what it was supposed to (hold up society, prevent degeneracy and comfort the dying and grieving) while stopping any Iron Age fedoralord ruining things by pointing out how arbitrary it was.

They are still human with their own desires. Since it's a verbal law they can always alter it to fit their own agenda. Worse than written law.

What?

Are there any translations?

Did you have sex with your papa?

About to watch mansion of the gods with family. Hope this shit is good

Film was great

Also yes it had an English dub. A very good one too.

Because murkan's are conditioned to (((Hollywood)))'s fart humor.

It's popular everywhere in the literate world minus english speaking countries.

Reminder that it's canon the village gets romanized.

Are the "old" movies not canon?
Because the last one ends with them "conquering" rome

It's more like a way to bullshitting their way into the Olympic. Since Olympic in that time only allows Greek and Rome. So when the officials stopped them at the gate they declared that they are, after all, roman citizen.

Not too sure

I dont know if they were popular in tacoland, but I watched the movies/cartoons and bought the comics

Several of the Asterix and Obelix movies are available on youtube. The Twelve Tasks is my favorite so far.

yout*ube.com/watch?v=JOhRhq6Pr6g

Nice to know

Neat

No, I didn't suck a dick until I was 13.

MY CHILDHOOD

Seriously, I've never forgotten my first exposure to it on a horribly sick Christmas Day with Asterix the Gladiator.

That one wasn't adapted from a specific comic. It was just a fun surreal adventure not to be taken seriously. They even comment on how ridiculous it is that they just conquered Rome, and Asterix just shrugs and says that it's just a cartoon, so anything goes.

Nice

Can you storytime?

Sounds lke a hoot

Sorry, don't have the comic in file form.

As for what happened that morning, I was sick with a stomach bug. I looked at those lush reds and greens… and yarfed at least once all over them.

Oh well

do you have any idea how hard it is to find any of it in America?
the PS2 and GBA games are about all I've ever seen of it released stateside

Surprisingly, every school library in my middle of nowhere town had a copy of asterix and obelix, but none of the public libraries or comic shops had copies

Really, Ive never been exposed to these stories.

Pssssh, what? Bitch, I live in Kentucky, and I got my Asterix from one of our local chains before I found them at Barnes & Noble.

So I got curious and did a little research on who's the publisher for Asterix in the States, but I found this article instead:

thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/11/07/can-asterix-finally-conquer-the-us.html

There's not much of info how they publish the books in US but it's an interesting point of view on why Asterix rarely got recognition stateside.

Australia here, and I can tell you that every school in Oz has Asterix and Tintin.

What did the Emu's force you to read only those two books?

It was either that or watch "Dot And The Kangaroo" again.

Asterix makes me money.

They were popular in the UK though

They're very close

Wait is that really a thing?

Checked

mfw trying to explain Dot And The Kangaroo to Americans.

heres one of my favorite.

Thanks