Space Elevator Thread

Is it possible at all, will it be possible in the near future? When will it be possible? What will it cost?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/24037070/
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/29050820/
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/31448298/
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/31284766/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump

I dunno OP but this thread is the perfect opportunity to tell everyone about my idea of using Jews as a biological weapon against potentially aggressive ayys when we become advanced enough. Just launch the kikes into space and wherever they end up they will inevitably destroy all life.

Also polite sage for off topic/potential slide thread.

>>>/reddit/

really makes you wonder

why there aren't 1000 foot tall insects roaming the earth too

Fuck you. Space Elevator Threads are god tier OC threads.

Now if only the writefags are around.

It's a slide thread. But let's talk about aliens, flat earth, faked moon landing and on and on and on.

What would a space elevator even do?

It's identical to an Air Loom. Same technology.

mankind is in decline
robot waifus will probably be the last futuristic thing before the neodarkage

What if there are and just can't cus there eyes r to small.

What would an Air Loom do?

slide tgread do not reply

Last I heard space people want to use it for space flight to be cheaper, since it would cost less for a space ship to escape the earth up above then down here

SLIDE THREAD

SLIDE THREAD

SLIDE THREAD

sage

newfags please, space elevator threads have been on Holla Forums for years to the point of becoming a bit of a meme.

Sage

I chuckled.

FUCKING NEWFAGS WHO HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT SPACE ELEVATOR THREADS
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

GTFO AND GO SMASH YOUR FACE THROUGH YOUR TV SCREEN YOU FUCKING PLEBS

just had that from opd/pol/
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/24037070/
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/29050820/
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/31448298/
archive.4plebs.org/pol/thread/31284766/
anyone got the archives of the threads he made here? I can't seem to find them

Space Elevator, where are you? come back!

What would it be made of?
The forces going on here are enormous.
I imagine that there would be vacuum or maglev tracks inside for no friction.
Also what would propell the elevator? I imagine some sort of aircraft steam piston and a air cushion/sping on earth.

Also:

FUCKING REDDIT/CUCKCHAN SCUMMY NEWFAGS!!!!

GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE

SPACE ELEVATOR THREADS HAVE BEEN A Holla Forums STAPLE FOR A LONG LONG TIME

B-but won't it be extremely susceptible to collision with space rubble or meteorites?

I am not convinced of the spherical nature of our earth. Anyone know anything about middle tracking systems? Specifically laser guided ones designed to track sea to air?

Missile**

yes it would
it would however enable easy launch of bots that could go clean up debris, so there's that

but the main problem of a space elevator is that the cable has to be made of unobtainium
and the deployment would be easier (meaning; feasible) with antigravs, which negate a bit the need for a space elevator in the first place

It's already possible on planets like Mars. Earth is pushing the limits, but I think it is possible. We just need optimized graphene or similar production.

Well, fug. We lost all antigrav technology on world War 2 when the bell went on self-destruct.

anything that collides with the space elevator wouldn't just ding it; it would fuck it's shit up hard

collisions involving particles that weight as little as a kilogram but travel ~7 km/s would be catastrophic

the more shit we dump into space, the more likely such collisions will occur

Confirmed for not being from here.

Listen, faggot. Space elevator threads are nice, when you have good OP with articles. This is not a space elevator thread, it's a thread about a space elevator. Stop calling others newfags before you learn the difference, nigger.

The only way this would work is if the entire structure is mobile, just like how a tree is always moving and can withstand gale force winds. Likely the only thing that would be strong enough and flexible is a carbon ribbon made out of many small, hollow tubes.

As for lifting it off the Earth, you could do it in sections using high-altitude weather balloons to bring it up halfway and then drop the other half of the ribbon down slowly with another balloon released in high-orbit. This will be trickiest part of the whole operation.

What the fuck are you dumb fucks doing with your lives? Do you think that browsing an imageboard is enough for the enrichment of your souls?

Go to voat.co. And once in a while dont be a lazy fuck, read science news articles.

Space elevator threads are a testament to your nature, as incurious and boring people. Somewhere in your development you should have looked things up, you should have used google, wikipedia, the world cia fact book and other sources to enrich your understanding of the world (shut up, there are also plenty right wing sources these days)

Srsly.

Mankind isn't even close to developing Materials strong enough to Build a pillar this high without it collapsing in ist own weight.

As long as the science funding is lining the pockets of Jews and SJWs we won't even get close

Japanese researchers crunched numbers and did simulations of dropping the cable from space to earth. It is possible but incredibly difficult to lower the cable as it is orbiting (rotating with the earth geosynchronously). They had a show about it interviewing researchers on NHK. Search key terms on youtube i'm certain its uploaded.

Certain problems they found arise, one being cable tension strength required is too much for convential metals, the cable dropper changes position as it lowers cabling requiring thrusters to stabilize the cable at lengths.

Space elevators are a long while off m8.

It'll probably be 500 years before we develop anything even close to efficient inter-stellar travel.

This is just me trying to remember my physics undergrad days and guessing:

You would have to start building from geosynchronous orbit. As long as you keep the center of mass there, the earth doesn't have to support any weight of the structure at all.

It doesn't need to be a pillar though, does it?

Can't it be more like a ROPE or a CHAIN? The "elevator shaft" itself doesn't need to be a complex structure, but just a guide for an advanced "elevator ship".

It becomes all about the orbiting counterweight (space station/satellite/whatever) and the fuel necessary for an initial burst to send the elevator itself up the guide-cord.

You've got it wrong. A space elevator by principle cancels out its own weight, it is the tension of the cable that is more a limiting factor.

Youtube embed is the NHK show of the space elevator.

Jesus fucking christ.
>this Holla Forums tradition thread is a slide thread
There are 25 fucking pages in the catalog, talking about a traditional Holla Forums topic isn't fucking sliding anything.

orbital dynamics doesn't work that way
the elevator has to reach geostationary orbit at least, not merely the edge of space, or the vehicle climbing it will fall back down
high-altitude baloons would reach 20km high at most (40km with zero payload)
there can't be a satellite below reasonably 300 km because atmosphere drag would slow it down and make it fall (look up karman line at ~100 k)

that's a hell of a big gap

and the only spot from where lowering down the cable is possible is geostationary orbit, 36000km high above the anchor at the equator
and you would have to deploy the counterweight at the same traction rate you get while lowering the downward cable

Meanwhile look at

A fucking
MINECRAFT
thread.

And what's that? ZERO people calling IT a slide thread, ZERO people spamming IT with sagebombs, calling for the thread to be SHUT DOWN.

The tether experiment showed that voltage differentials over any distance in the atmosphere can be a big issue.
Imagine a lightning rod that goes up to LEO.
It's a retarded idea. Tower of Babel retarded.

I agree.

I think the first step will be genetics, augmentations and virtual reality while AI and robotics slowly get everywhere in our life.

Then we'll have more efficient source of power like le nuclear fusion meme, we'll make even more progress on the field of artificial intelligence and might conceive an ASI.

Space is only the final step and it will take a long time until we get there.

Assuming no wars, apocalypse, degeneracy and jewish dominion of earth of course

Stop sliding Moshe

We can focus on technology after Trump defeats Hillary.

Fuckin summerfags i thought school started this week. Space Elevator threads are legit 8/pol/ threads you niggers.

Oh you mean like how you kikels use those niggers as your biological weapons?

YOU HAVE TO GO BACK

This board is already dead user. Latest example would be mods bumplocking a nobodytm thread. It's also this flood of reddit users now that weren't around four years ago and don't give a shit either.

it wasn't a thread from Space Elevator

where is he? did they catch him and punish him for all he gave us?

yea, i'm fucking out. going to wherever isn't here.

the final low has been hit. this place is dead.

Not even ultra-pure single walled carbon nanotubes have the tensile strength necessary to make a cable long enough and with a counterweight that is many thousands of miles above the surface.

Also, even the best techniques to produce nanotubes can't make more than a few millimeters at a time. We can produce many tonnes of CNTs but typically they're nowhere near pure and in tiny strands maybe a couple of micron long (human hair is 100 microns across).

The only thing that I've heard of that could do this is carbyne, which is theoretically twice the strength of graphene. CNTs by the way are graphene sheets rolled into tubes.

I think the global production of carbyne could be measure in the nano-grams.

YAY SPACE ELEVATOR THREAD!!
its been months.