Brock Thread - #3

You Can Never Have Enough Brock Edition

Starting off with some Anti-Venom Stories

Parker here to ruin things once again!

Will Spider-Man ever stop being a nuisance?

Will our lord and savior Anti-Venom be able to right Peter's path, or will he have to to dispatch this foolish spider?

OP, honest question:
How silly do you feel about what you just did?

Pretty silly, tbh.

SPLORKCHED

Thus ends that short little story.

Any Brock stories Holla Forums is interested in seeing?

Yay brocktimer is back

Which ones have you never posted here before? I save every comic you post usually.

There's hundreds of them really, the question is which era of Brock are you interested in, early villain Venom, anti-hero/lethal protector Venom, shit Venom, Cancer Brock, Anti-Venom, Symbiote Slayer Brock, or Broxin?

Have you read New Ways to Die, the debut of Anti-Venom?

Since I got no suggestions I'm going to post all of Brock's appearances in the Agent Venom series.

Umm what do you think you're doing?
This thread isn't about waifus or sexy children, I think you have the wrong board.

I really liked venom from some of the older comics. I remember he ends of joining this villian group that tried to kill doc-ock their former boss, but I never saw the end of it. I am interested in any that you have really.

The only ones I have seen are the ones in this thread, and the crossover with the Punisher.

I thought I told you to go make your own damn board instead of complaining about threads on Holla Forums!

I'll see what I can find.

Not cool

I decided to show you guys the origin of Carnage and what leads up to it since the Carnage series by Gerry Conway has referenced these comics multiple times.

Aside from the Truck Stop of Doom short story in one of the Spider-Man annuals, this is really the beginning of Eddie becoming more of a hero than a villain.

But before we get to Carnage, we need to see in my opinion what was the greatest Spider-Man vs Venom fight of all time.

(((Fenster)))

I really loved the old Parker/Brock dynamic. I think the greatest tragedy of One More Day or whatever that horrible story where Peter makes a deal with the Devil was called was the fact that Brock no longer remembered Spidey's identity. They really need to rectify that mistake, but I doubt nu-Marvel will.

For some reason page 11 is corrupted and I can't find a better copy anywhere online. Cropping it was the best I could do.

Was this the sort of classic Venom you were interested in seeing?

Jesus, I forgot how bad Erik Larsen was. He could only draw two faces, and he kept trying to get away with speed lines instead of a background.
Do you think he'd have got into Image if he wasn't sleeping with Todd MacFarlane?

Mark Bagley was definitely an improvement, at least in my opinion.

Why do Eddie, and Peter look exactly the same?

Because Erik Larsen is a talentless hack who got into Image by fucking Todd MacFarlane on the drawing board.

I was wondering if you had the comic where spiderman, and venom are fighting this guy covered in alien cotton candy.

Alien cotton candy? Any other details?

He also steals brock's symbiote, but you never actually see him doing it as it's obstructed by graves. The comic begins with eddie mourning the loss of his wife blaming spiderman for her death, again. It also has brock heading to a church for guidance after losing it, and there is also this old guy but I don't remember his name.

Never mind I think I found it. Guy was stewart ward, and appeared in TASM vol 2 issues 22-24. I also found some other comics I was looking for two. Might download them some time, if I do I will story time it in another thread just because.

Please Brocktimer, storytime New Ways to die. After all, it's Brockmas soon.

Will do, :) I'll be posting it soon.

Brock has cancer, the Venom symbiote is hitched to Mac Gargan, these are dark times. So get ready for:

New Ways to Die!

I really do wonder how Gargan/Venom ever got approved.

The man of the hour arrives at the scene.

This bonus story at the end of the first issue about Eddie is probably my favorite thing from this story arc.

I'll post next issue in a bit. What does Holla Forums think so far?

Holla Forums feels so lonely these days

Pretty good. I love me some Anti-Venom. Thanks Brock-user, you're the best.

Glad you're reading!

Posting this comic reminds me that I haven't read a Spider-Man story since Spider-Island. Social Justice nonsense aside, I think Marvel fucked up big time when they took Peter Parker out of New York and instead gave his hometown to a bunch of C and D-list fanfic characters.

Marvel's made some pretty silly mistakes, honestly. I can't wait for the eventual day they realize all this has been hurting sales and Bendis' career finally pushes daisies.

Do you think that writers like Bendis and Slott eventually just go mad and forget why they started writing in the first place? What was the last decent thing Bendis did, early Ultimate Spider-Man, and then he went on to kill that Peter Parker for who knows what reason.

I tried looking at a recent Slott Spider-Man comic recently and I had no idea what was going on, there was midget, Peter Parker was trying to be Tony Stark, and there were a million story threads moving through eachother.

To give Slott a little credit, I did enjoy Superior Spider-Man. But the only reason why is because he wasn't writing Peter. I feel like these writers could actually do decent work if they weren't doing established characters and weren't pozzed SJWs.

Speaking of that, I'd say that's really what happens to them. They slurp the SJW kool-aid and lose their marbles. Look at all the recent Spider-Man books for example. Start as a decent premise and devolve into SJW nonsense.

I think my biggest problem with the current Spider-Man comics is that they made them too complicated. There's too much going on and I can't get invested. Do Mary Jane and Harry Osborn even exist anymore?

Right now all I'm reading from Marvel is Carnage, Venom, Cage!, and I'm considering reading the new Moon Knight series. But all their flagship characters, Spider-Man, Iron Man, Captain America, currently have zero appeal for me. How strange is that?

Honestly, I don't really read any thing new from Marvel. I try to stick to lower indie stuff though I did read some of the DC Rebirth stuff. I don't even know if Harry and MJ are a thing in the new books.

Could you recommend me which DC Rebirth or indie comics to read? Aside form the Marvel comics I mentioned, I'm just reading European comics and Manga. I'm finding there have been a lot of entertaining and really beautifully drawn French Western comics.

The new Superman is pretty decent. I enjoyed the arc with Damien and Jon being brats. Other than that, I really enjoyed the Luther Strode series. Three volumes, draws a lot of inspiration from manga, and is incredibly violent and visceral. The only problem is that volume three turns into Fist of the North Star. What manga are you reading? And if it's not Goblin Slayer, you're doing it wrong.

I'll check it out, and Goblin Slayer (I haven't heard of it before)

As far as Manga I'm mainly just reading three things: Watamote, Boku no Hero Academia, and then doing a re-read of Monster. (torrenting Goblin Slayer now)

your comment reminds me of an old Wizard magazine article from the 90s when they talked about how X-Men series are no longer relatable because how complicated and powerful they are. How back then X-Men is all about underdog team with little funding compared to the Avengers.

Now Spiderman is all about multiverse, Madame Web, fallout from the first Civil War, deal with satan, reboot…. Sometimes I want to see Spidey back to its root.

What are you, a bigot or something? (I will never stop laughing at the ridiculous lengths they went to make the main Marvel Universe more like the Ultimate universe, especially the black Nick Fury)

Is it just me, or is it kind of fucked up to mention the fucking Islamic terrorist group that is right this second killing or raping people in the middle east, in a fucking children's comic?

Wait what? I was talking about Spiderman without all the bullshit drama. This is why the cinematic Spiderman is still far more enjoyable. It's about a young man dealing with him being a hero.

Imagine if they bring Ben Reilly to the movie. It will confuse the fuck out of audience so much.

Oh, I know. I was just being sarcastic because I've noticed Slott acting like anyone who doesn't like his new Spider-Man comics doesn't like them because they are progressive when in reality it's because they don't feel like Spider-Man at all.

Why not both?

Eddie Brock and Mac Gargan are supposed to cross paths at some point in the new Venom series. Marvel is saying the series will be a love letter to all Venom fans, I hope they address what happened in this series, because they haven't seen eachother since this comic.

And thus ends New Ways to Die. Now that we've read it, what Anti-Venom stories haven't you guys read. I think we've done New Ways to Live (where he takes out the cartel) and we did the stories up at the top of this thread, so that just leaves Spider-Island and then his short story in the Spider-Man Extra?

You should totally do both.

I would rather see Eddie Brock and Felicia Hardy cross paths at some point in the new Venom series. Why would either Brock or McGargan even show up in the new series?

They say that all the time to the fan audience of a specific character. Problem is: Everybody has a different view and opinion of Venom - psychopath, anti-hero, hero, monster etc.

In a different Venom thread I read that Venom, at one point, was popular with children. Is that true? If so, what kind of popularity was it? Honest or ironically?

Children love Venom for the same reason they like T-rexes and Dragons I'd guess, he's scary, cool, and the kids like to imagine being them or being protected by them

Also, Felicia is in the new series. She was shown in the preview for Issue #2. Mac Gargan appears to be just atcing like his usual criminal self.

Eddie Brock is apparently going to be heading a team to take down Venom, his buddy John Jameson/Man Wolf who he bonded with during the Carnage series will be joining him.

BUT WHERE'S FLASH

Flash is going to be in the series too, right now it's a mystery how he and the symbiote broke up, but it's going to be revealed eventually. I kind of believe them when they say it's going to be a love letter to all Venom fans because based on the first issue the writer gets the tone right, and confirmed so far to appear are Eddie Brock, Flash Thompson, Mac Gargan, and others.

As a long time Venom and Brock fan myself, I'm cautiously optimistic about the whole thing because apparently the protagonist of the new Venom series is the symbiote, and the antagonist is the new host, Lee Price.

Is this gonna be a commentary on abusive relationships? It's smart for a character like Venom but I hope it doesn't get hamfisted too much.

Almost certainly. That's like a core theme of the character? Do you remember the series where the symbiote starts eating people's brains and Eddie has to hunt it down in the sewers with a sonic gun? Maybe Brock timer can storytime that, it basically turned the Brock/Symbiote dynamic into a love story. They also played with that idea in Venom: Separation Anxiety.

So far it seems like the relationships go like this:

Peter/Symbiote: First Love

Eddie/Symbiote: Mutual rebound fueled out of spite and then something that turned into real love only to eventually go sour again when the symbiote led to Eddie's ex-girl killing herself

Fortunato/Symbiote: One night stand.

Gargan/Symbiote:Low self esteem realtionship

Flash/Symbiote: A forced working relationship that grew into a friendship.

Lee Price/Symbiote: Starts with rape, will probably get worse.

Venom had a hard life.

Venom: The Hunger was great. The Symbiote was tsundere in that and Brock was best husbando for sure.

A little bit off topic but I remember that Marvel got so much hard on on making Venom related stories because the action figure sold like gangbuster in the 90s. Is it still happened right now? I mean I remember there's like a lot of toylines created for it. Like they can't have enough Venom action figures.

Venom's still relatively popular but it's kinda gone down over the years since Flash became the host. I wanna hope now with this darker abusive story happening we'll see the popularity of Venom rise again. But we all know how Marvel has been for this last decade. We can't hope too much for real quality.

They fucked up big time with Venom: Space Knight, so much so they had to end Flash Venom entirely. Guess who came up with the idea for Space Knight…Bendis.

Bendis is objectively cancer. It's insane that they let him stick his dick in nearly every story they have.

Bendis is just one of the many bits of Marvel that's killing the company and fanbase.

Anti-Venom and Carnage toys sell like crazy still. Even though Anti-venom was such a short lived chapter in Eddie's history, the design is still being made into toys.

Blame the writers then. Brock started as muscle head nobody that got infected by Venom because he simply got the short straw that day. And yet people grew on him. Flash Venom got a lot potential because Flash used to be Peter's bully but idolizing Spiderman. But what we got is this "Super soldier" but with symbiote.

That's actually pretty sick figure. But why no moveable joints?

Sorry for the wait Holla Forums, here's your daily dose of Anti-Venom!

The story: Black & White - By Dan Slott and Chris Bachalo. Chronologically this takes place right where we left off with New Way to Die.

Blame Remender for that one. We could've had a Flash trying to be Spidey but maybe finding out he can't control Venom. Leading to whack situations where people get hurt while Flash tries to play hero. But nope. We get tacticool Venom soldier.

Because it's basically just a statue. But people call them figurines instead sometimes.

I hope you guys enjoyed that. Now all that's left of the Anti-Venom sage that you all haven't read is the end, Spider-Island.

I think I'm going to start posting one story a day, so we don't get overloaded on Brock material.

If anyone has been saving the Anti-Venom stories and wanting to put them in order, it goes like this I think:

New Ways to Die
Black & White
New Ways to Live
The Return of Anti-Venom
Spider-island

(There were a few other minor appearances but they ranged from awful: Bendis's Revengers storyline, to literally just background one panel appearances in a spider-man comic or two)

I once started reading a symbiote story which was basically an homage to Carpenter's The Thing.

Does anyone know if it continued into a second story arc?

Not sure

That was the series by Daniel Way it went for 18 issues. It's widely considered to be the worst Venom story ever written…However, apparently the new Venom series that Marvel is making right now is going to connect to it somehow and somepoint because the editor mentioned the main character from that series in an interview.

Do you mind elaborating?

Are ya gonna storytime the new Venom issue?

Oh look, they're kissing.

Sorry for the long wait, Brock-fans. I've decided to do something different this time. I'm going to post a series I'm not a fan of, and one that Brock doesn't show up in until the very end. But since the current Spider-Man editor Devin Lewis said that the current Lee Price/Venom series will reference this comic, I thought we could get two things out of reading it: context, and appreciation for other symbiote comics in comparison to this one.

Who knows, maybe I'll even change my opinion on this comic, I haven't read it since I was a little kid.

Still not digging the art style.

I do wonder how this was pitched. Did Daniel Way just straight up say, "I want to do a Venom story that is 100% a rip-off of John Carpenter's The Thing"?

Keep in mind this series went for 18 issues. I'm not sure who the target audience was.

I guess fans of the movie the Thing? Also, this art style screams early 2000's.

And that's the first issue…22 pages and no Venom. I'm starting to remember why I hated this comic. Especially as a kid who saw the cover and expected a neat Brock story (he was still Venom when this story was published)

That was around the time it got revealed he had cancer, wasn't it?

Yeah.

Ah, this is the issue where another babby sybiote gets aborted because the symbiote, being best suit, takes Brcoks cancer away.

I'm still wondering if they could add that symbiote back as a horrid cancer Eldrich horror symbiote or something

Good god this looks awful, what the fuck?

This is bad and I feel bad for reading it.

That last page always got me as a kid. Brock just look so goddamn happy.