Science OS

What operating system the majority of people working in such science fields as physics used back in the 90s or earlier and what they use now.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1rCrfQUcXDI?t=223
scientificlinux.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I use Ubuntu in the genomics lab where I work, because I need to be able to use unix command line tools but IT doesn't want me using anything too exotic.

UNIX
Windows and Linux

A lot of people (Freetards) seem to forget that Windows was still in early stages of developing a viable OS for professionals in the 90s. It wasn't until the 2000s that scientific institutions began adopting Windows NT. The reason you see a lot of older machines using Linux is because most of the software used for things like telecommunications with spacecraft were written for UNIX so Linux was just the more logical upgrade path because it meant little to no porting work to be done. I don't think its because one OS is better/worse than the other though
See; youtu.be/1rCrfQUcXDI?t=223 for an example of the kind of software used in satellite communication

Thanks, user.

I'm using Ubuntu Mate in my research: emails, reading, writing (LaTeX and Libre Writer, JabRef for references), and spreadsheets.

Read about Scientific Linux.

Windows.

Windows.

The majority of scientists do not give a single shit about their OS. They give a shit about their instruments being compatible with their computer and the instrument makers are all Windows first and always have been.

Well, obviously.
I heard that there is a lot of scientific software made for doing specific tasks that is only available on Windows. I just can't really find any accurate data regarding this.
Besides, I thought that people doing scientific researches are kinda smart enough to not use Windows.

A lot of engineering software is exclusively for Windows, things like Machine Control Unit programmers, industrial control machines, memory controller flashers.etc

It all has to do with when the machines were designed and for whom. A lot of scientific institutions for things like space R&D and communication began adopting modern modes of computing in the 70s when UNIX was the main software to use (especially in the case with telecommunication because of UNIX' ties to Bell Labs)

Conversely, a lot of engineering institutions began adopting modern modes of computing in the late 80s to early 90s when Windows was beginning to overtake UNIX so we're left with most software in those sectors relying on Windows

Again, its not really about which one is better/worse since GNU and Windows are both, after all, general purpose OS' and fill much of the same roles
You have to be at least 18 to post here

Yes I too am sad this rule is never enforced because there are too many obvious children making childish conjecture without understanding how the world works

They are, they just don't have any reason to give a shit. In a lab, it's not their personal computer, IT deals with all the computer security, and it would be an ordeal of biblical proportions to convince management to make a switch to linux. There are more normalfaggots working in a lab than you may realize that don't do a single scientific task in their entire time working there.

An obvious example of hardware/software lock-in are Agilent's HPLC/GCMS systems. There just isn't any alternative. Sure there's some open source software that claims it can do the same thing but it's shit and if you're doing things for money with other people's money as capital you have no reason to bother with it. Of course the more exotic your instrumentation and experiments the more likely you are to be using non-standard equipment. If you're a CERN nigger doing high energy physics then you're probably working with a Linux or BSD variant on a supercomputer server.

I think it's not actually a rule on Holla Forums.

My bad, I guess I should've phrased it a bit better. I didn't imply the people who use it but rather people who develope the software for it.

I don't want to live on this shitshow anymore.

Most of that shit is from China and America though. Pajeets are just codemonkeys and web devs

It's not 80s.

I'm thinking VMS was popular especially before the 90s when the personal computer was still a lightweight against minicomputers for serious computation. I once took a two hour CAD class at night and the computer lab had IBM XTs. The teacher showed up half an hour early to start loading some topographical map data for a demo, went and taught the class and then we all hung around for another half hour until it finished processing.

Then: Unix
Now: Scientific Linux.

Bioinformatics facilities at my university use most CentOS. A couple of our European grad students claim that CERN's Scientific OS is more popular than CentOS in Europe.

top scientist confirmed gentoo

Most use Windows. Scientists are usually incompetent when it comes to software.

MGI uses mostly macs.

There is a distro for scientists,

scientificlinux.org/

Last I checked it was shit.

A lot of people in engineering are still on Windows because most serious software packages are Win exclusive, especially shit like Matlab. For CAD design I think there is Solid works Linux. Ansys and Comsol simulation packages are Windows too. These are computationally intensive and VM or Wine route is not feasible.

Depends on the field. Some can use whatever, others have to use Linux or Windows. You don't code for a supercomputer from windows, and you don't control windows-only equipment from wine.

Matlab has a Linux version. Maybe for some packages you don't, but the software itself works on Linux.

I fixed that for ya, buddy.

Their CEO is a Pajeet that is trying way too hard to channel Steve Jobs.

I don't know what sciences you all have experience in, but there's always been Macfaggots all over the place in the biologies and geologies.

Fuck. This is bait.
Only low tier scientist use windows.
God tier scientist use HPC and
this imply to use linux.

Most scientists can type at least one single coherent thought in English. It also appears to be your first day posting here so lurk more newfag.

They probably use mac

Lots of physics departments run Scientific Linux (usually old versions from 8+ years ago) on their servers just because big institutions like CERN and Fermilab do.
It's just a shittier version of CentOS though and will probably be phased out imo.
Use gentoo.

I did protein purifcation and gene cloning for some years as a student. Any desktop computer that was used to operate an instrument was running microsoft XP

Everyone in my lab uses mbps. Computers tied to equipment usually run Windows because the specialized software is not available on other OSes. People who actually do a lot of coding SSH into some kind of Linux usually.

Weirdest thing I've seen was an MS-DOS computer controlling a spectrophotometer, in 2010, at MIT. They had a really old printer hooked up to it. To its credit, the only spec I used that was faster and more responsive didn't have a computer at all, just an IC with a 7-piece LED display and no interactivity.

VMs don't have notable overhead, it's virtualization, not emulation.

Fucking shill I swear these shills are getting worse.

Is there another kind of conjecture that children can make? Is not all conjecture made by children childish by definition?

More precisely, a NeXTStep machine. This system later became Mac OS X..

thatsthepoint.jpg

This is where the end began.

Actually, there is. Nothing prevents that a sufficiently smart and sufficiently educated kid or something like a young von Neumann would be able to formulate some mature conjecture about any topic. Nothing prevents Poincaré's conjecture from coming out of a child's mouth, but it's exceedingly unlikely. So there must be a difference between a "childish conjecture" and a "conjecture made by a child". That difference however, lies on the degree to which that particular conjecture is able to yield existing information to produce a conclusion and the degree of sophistication of that conclusion. The issue with kids is that since they don't usually have particularly good inferential skills and are usually either misinformed or completely uninformed about any given topic. So most of their conjectures are of the "back of the knee (maybe)"-tier.

Now, with all that in mind, telling someone to fuck off because they've said something stupid because they're misinformed about a narrow field of experience or because they didn't think about it is to be exceedingly cranky about it. So I think overreacted a bit to someone - not being an engineer. If that's enough reason to ban someone or tell someone to fuck off, might as well close this site. Heck, might as well close down the internet. Everyone is misinformed or didn't think properly about some topic, so they're bound to make a stupid comment about it. There's no point in getting rustled over it.