4chan

Why do so many free software enthusiasts use 4chan? Isn't it non-free?

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.en.html
github.com/4chan
github.com/OpenIB/OpenIB
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

go ask them instead of board sliding with shit-effort threads.

I am currently banned from 4chan, and my PC isn't picking up wifi right now. Could use my phone, but it's not comfy.

Because surprise, they're not actual free software enthusiasts

This website is also non free

this tbh
my ban lifts up in one week so I'm stuck here on slowchan.

Is it at least open source? I thought it was. Reddit is good enough for the FSF.

Holla Forums was closed source (open core) for awhile but Codemonkey made Holla Forums fully open source again after the hack. The source is available on Github as a fork of the original Infinity software (I forget what its called but there should be a thread on /sudo/ about it)

I think you mean 'people who want shit to be free as in free beer'

literally because it's the only alternative for those who don't want to use reddit or forums and that have a high traffic

1) You need to understand the distinction between network services and free software gnu.org/philosophy/network-services-arent-free-or-nonfree.en.html

2) github.com/4chan

I visit /fglt/ (afaik the only place where /g/ has still freetards) a lot, mostly to help beginners to jump off the botnet train and to spread some freedom.

At the end, it helps the free software community more than I wouldn't visit /g/, I guess.

Because they are Windows shills and macfags. Even they are poluting this board. I'm still able to post on the freer chans though.

The same reason people use shit like Reddit - they don't know any better.

I'd sooner post on Faceberg than go back to that hellhole.

Remember how 4chan/v/ mods deleted GG threads? There's your answer. Besides 4chan (((requires))) for JS enabled to view the catalog and is a living CAPTCHA hell.

lazy faggot !

>>>/cuckchan/

You can run 4chan without JS if you install 4chanx.

It's free-as-in-gnu javascript, at least.

There is no way to prove this or that software runs on the server until you give administrator's access to it to the person that is supposed to check it. So this conversation is rather pointless.

these two sites are the same shit, stop fooling yourself

github.com/OpenIB/OpenIB

Faggots like you are what's wrong with chans

See as shit as 8ch is, it isn't 4chan

And if you're too stupid to realize this, you have to go back

Whats with that on /g/ anyway? Did it get overrun by scum college kids who just wanna get rich sellinig an 'app' or something?

Sounds like you just have to go back.

i wonder if i can post on here while using my vpn. if this post is successful, i will stop browsing 4chan and move here instead.

not going to buy a fucking 4chan pass, and i'm not going to turn off my vpn every time i want to post.

Welcome.

You can even use Tor to post here, although you can't post images that way.

According to;
github.com/OpenIB/OpenIB
"A running instance is at 8ch.net"
Unless CM is lying but thats just dulling Occam's razor at that point. This is why I think the FSF has a different stance on server-side software vs software actually run on your machine locally

Go back to cuckchan.

8ch hidden service is often slow as fuck, although occasionally it works well enough. If you use Tor browser and .onion is too slow then just go to the clearnet domain and pick a new tor circuit until it let's you post. It seems like 8ch's list of Tor exit nodes is outdated so they don't detect Tor every time.
The 8ch onion server really needs more resources, it's not like Tor itself is the problem, some other hidden services load perfectly fine no matter which circuit you happen to connect through.

wtf I love 4chan now

I always figured it was just because this site is not optimized for low-bandwidth usage. Do hidden sites really work like that? I figured it was just like any http connection.

That's exactly what I'm saying, 8ch hidden service is very badly optimized. Most other hidden services that I visit regularly work fine, it's 8ch's one that is the exception here. Often you can't even post because the captcha expires before you even manager to send your answer, while sometimes it works as fast as clearnet. It probably depends on the amount of Tor users in that moment.
The thing is that there are not enough of Tor users for our masters to care, they just see a few annoying complainers that won't be missed.