Why is Haskell so popular among hobby projects?

I see online a lot of people who talk about programming in Haskell, but I don't think I've ever used a program written in Haskell. Also I've never heard of someone learning it for a job. It seems to normally be a passion project thing. What makes it such a popular hobby language among developers?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uKfKtXYLG78
programatica.cs.pdx.edu/House/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because it's literally a meme language. it's the hardest of the hardcore functional language and autists seem to think that listing it as their favorite language makes them a better programmer. There are a few cases where Haskell can excel where other languaegs can't (think infinite series) but there's literally no reason to use it in 99% of cases except so you can brag that you're a pro haskell dev to all your 2d friends.

Basically, yeah. It has been popularized way beyond its actual use or purpose.

because SML is dead and ocaml is in retard limbo with a clusterfuck of a standard library situation and shittily/undocumented documented libraries.

it's the same reason vim/emacs are still the best text editors, they're the least bad.

autism

AFAIK only multicore is in retard limbo.

Facebook is using OCaml and in fact breathing new life into it with Reason. Combine with BuckleScript, and suddenly you have a pretty nice backend/frontend combo.

ocaml is a shit version of SML made for faggots like facebook

I've been a developer since 2006 and worked with perhaps a hundred maybe more developers, socialized with way more. No one has ever even talked about haskell.

Haskell is an interesting paradigm shift, and it require a little bit of effort to learn at first. Once a beginner does this, they believe themselves as "enlightened", so they of course spout the merits of Haskell to their social circle as a form of status signalling. This is normal, it's a way for a relatively clever person to separate themselves from the herd, which really is full of low quality pajeets and js hipsters. Alike hipsters though, many of these enlightened haskellers do the exact same thing, so they just end up looking like another Haskell-fag instead of some coding guru.

Haskell is interesting, I think it's pretty neat for writing parsers, but it has HORRIBLE real world characteristics, especially when it comes to chasing down "space leaks" (memory leaks). You should learn it at some point, but unless you're in academic programming language research, you should only go so far with it.

aka autism

I should also add. A better real world alternative which has had some good real world use, and one that I think offers advantages for the server side is Erlang. Erlang became hipster cool around 2008 I believe, but the hype was short lived, and the hipsters went away. Elixir, which is built on top of the Erlang runtime system, might be nice (I haven't had a proper look at it), but it could go hipster soon.

no you shouldn't.

there. see what i did just now?

At least at my university, it's taught in Programming 1 alongside Java and Prolog.

Damn this bait is strong.
I agree it's a meme language, but learning it to a sufficient level will definitely teach you ways of thinking that will make you a better programmer. Same with Lisp. Hell, probably even Forth, but that is too much for me.

Exposimg yourself to different ways to doing the same things inevitably will teach you.

Yeah, you acted like a dumb nigger.

That was the case for me, then we used it in a compiler construction class.

That's not a bad university, except for Java. I guess they have to take into account that most people will just end up working as code monkeys.

They really love covering OOP and is suppose Java is a good language to teach it with. You can start with the concepts right away instead of learning memory management first. Later on they cover C++ and VHDL.

lol universities

In Java there are none of those practical things. There is a separate subject about boolean algebra, binary arithmetic and electrical engineering that runs in parallel to Prog 1. It makes sense that you get to know pointers after you know how computers store bytes in memory, not before.

It's a fun language to use, and you really have to learn, and reason well, to do things in it. It is however used in quite a few projects. Those that come to mind are XMonad, Facebook's spam filter, Pandoc and git-annex. Though there's certainly more.

It's also quite excellent for code generation, and has been used to write assembly for NES, and is a popular EDSL host for that very reason.

Erlang and Elixir are both interesting. Elixir seems like a pretty nice language.

youtube.com/watch?v=uKfKtXYLG78

I met Joe at an Erlang conference, cool guy.

An interesting paradigm shift would be for you to learn words other than "autism", "nigger", "faggot". Did your parents cancel your xbox live subscription?

I use xmonad. Not because I know anything but how to install ghc, and tweak xmonad etc, but because it's just so fucking comfy. I wish there was an OS written in pure Haskell. I seriously almost start to boner when I see the Haskell logo or hear it mentioned.

programatica.cs.pdx.edu/House/
Consider your wish granted.

It's fun to write in but I can't in good conscience recommend it for anything. No meaningful upsides

did you hear about Sublime Text?

proofs?

It is disgustingly proprietary.

so what? it does its job very good
and you even don't have to pay for it

I tried it some time ago, it's plain boring shit, nothing compared to vim.

How gnu are you?

So does HTML-Kit.

Exactly. And any sufficiently skilled person can remove the popup entirely if they want. Most of these things work the same way, and a couple of minutes with a dissassembler will point you to the correct opcode to change. If the function is say IsRegistered, it's usually just a matter of ORing a literal 1 with the return register.

Way to much work for something that offers nothing special. You might as well just use fucking gedit.

What features would you consider "special"?

Anything that abstracts text editing from manually adding/deleting each character, beyond the common features like find and replace.

Shut up, you autistic niggerfaggot.