Aladdin

Is he the only decent Muslim, Holla Forums.

Other urls found in this thread:

patreon.com/posts/metal-gear-high-5844989
patreon.com/posts/metal-gear-sam-5854307
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

He's not Muslim, he's just an Arab thief.

How do we know he isn't at least half-Greek?

Where in the movie did he practice Islam, user?

When he stoned Jasmine for being independent.

:^)

Couldn't say, but I always loved that his lies actually have very little to do with the Plot. Jafar doesn't get Genie's Lamp because of lies, (Al really did mean it when he said it, but panicked from the pressure and was convinced he needed Genie indefinitely) it was because he didn't keep a PROMISE that Jafar got the lamp. The message isn't "lies are bad", it's "keep your word".

Sultan did praise Allah.

Fucking SJW's, go lurk moar faggot.

But Aladdin didn't, he tipped his Fez and rod off on his magic carpet to bang Jasmine.

Hi /freech/, hows your period going?

Not so bad, Holla Forums. Could be worse.

I'm pretty sure he was Chinese in the original tale

If you go into non-Holla Forums territory, you get some interesting examples like Abu al-Walid in the Riddick movies

I'd post characters from Magi (/a/) or Arabian Nights: Desert Spirit King and Doki Doki Panic(Holla Forums), but while they're Arabic they come from a pre-islam era (well, DDP is unconfirmed on that, I imagine)

He might have been Zoroastrian.

You called?

As others have pointed out, he's not Muslim, and in the original story (that wasn't even an actual fairytale) he was Chinese.

What makes you think that the movie that has a guy with his nipples out and a chick that looks like pic related would be set in a Muslim kingdom?

The original story describes a China that was nothing like China. China, in that instance, was code for 'somewhere far away'

Well, he didn't blow shit up so I'll say yes

Maybe because Islam in the Middle Ages isn't quite like Islam today

I did some reading, and while it's stated to be in one of the cities in China, the Sorcerer is from North Africa. He also meets a Jew, so I'd be inclined to believe it's based in Arabia, but only because the storyteller (Arabian Nights) didn't know anything about China, and wanted it to sound far away.
Also, Genies and Spirits are big in the East, not so much in the Middle East, so it's likely just a shitty mismatch of cultures.

Aladdin's actually not original to 1001 Nights, it was added by the French translator, who allegedly heard it from a storyteller in Aleppo.

None of the three most famous stories, Aladdin, Ali Baba, Sinbad, were originally part of the 1001 Nights

The Quran definitely tells women to cover tf up, user. Do you really think burqas are a modern invention?
It was better when the countries were fairly secular and more driven by the pursuit of knowledge, but the Soviets ruined that by inciting an extremist Muslim revolt against them when they tried to invade Afghanistan. But even then there were still burqa-covered child brides here and there.

I won't pretend to have read the Quran but I'm pretty sure Muslim women are supposed to cover up when they leave the house, which Jasmine does (when she runs away). When she wears her midriff and this she's still in her house, so there's no risk of offending Allah, I assume

The idea is to have modesty in front of men who are not your close relative or spouse. Jafar and Aladdin are not any of that, even if Aladdin marries her at the end.
Women should also be modest with how they act. Jasmine makes eye contact, talks out of turn, and is rude. She would be beaten.

I think the outside of the castle was a halfassed attempt at Islam pre-9/11. Hits the very basics that everyone knows. Like thieves getting their hands cut off according to Sharia Law.

Eh, whatever. I'm sure Disney knew as much about Islam as I do. They were probably just trying not to offend people, which backfired because Muslims got offended anyway

I read the Burton translation a while back. Yeah, Aladdin is set in China, Ali Baba's wife does all the work, and Sinbad is a complete monster.

Heh, I want to see Aladdin remade as a young-Jackie-Chan type film.

Hey, the Prince Of Persia wasn't actually Arabic, was he?

He was not Islamic, but more Zoroastrian if I remember correctly.

Actually, if you follow the original story, he's Chinese.

IM-FUCKING-PLYING

If i recall correctly, the Quran never specifically calls for covering up, and doesnt detail the style of dress explicitly. what it does say is that the women should practice modesty, and that outside the home her actions reflect on her husband so she should be faithful and modest to the max.
The proto-burka existed before Islamic beliefs were mainstream, but when the area came under domination by Islamic culture, the housewives whe had nothing better to do started one upping eachother on how modest they could be, and shaming unwed women who did not play along. Its actually very reminiscent of how some of the more puritanical styles of dress evolved in Europe.
So, in conclusion, the only people to blame for how women dress in the middle east today is middle ages women.

Yes, but the Disney version is set in Agrabah, a fictional Arabian city.

How the fuck do aladdins pants work? They look so retarded

In "A 1000 and 1 Arabians Nights" Aladdin is Chinese. Atleast thats what my dad always told me.

Have you never worn baggy trousers before?

Nah, it tells women to cover up and 'cast down their gazes' in a certain part that deals with what Muslim woman should dress/act like. A quick google search came with this:
'Khumur' means veil.
It also has somewhere where it says to wear a loose-fitting robe.

Basically 'cover tf up.' It's pretty easy from those to see where the idea of the hijab to the niqab come from.

They're like the pants M.C. Hammer used to wear.

So they just nigger pants

Isn't Agrabah like year 3000 Saudi Arabia after the whole world was destroyed and the Genie was the equivalent of a high functioning robot hologram thingamajig? I remember reading the theory and it was fun as fuck

The Arabian empire fell under the equivalent of today's feminism like most of the fallen empires in the world

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
yeeeeeah, kinda am. I said "serious" perhaps too loosely. But I've got a bachelor's degree in Philosophy.
Somehow, I only neared Nietzsche. I missed the seminar/class devoted to his work for another.
At the time, I hadn't a clue of the value of what I'd missed until I started reading what Foucault had to say of Nietzsche's method for history.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
I do agree that playing solo is my fault and i'm bringing it upon myself haha, I already see this being a game that only works with friends.

300 for 1 spear is just absurd, especially when 300 wood for a door, or 100 for a lock? what?
It's just a lot of the requirements don't make sense.

So no, when I have a life span of like 5-10 minutes, yes taking 2-3 minutes to make a god damn spear is a fucking lot.

It's nice to know about the stones thing, that would honestly fix a lot of things to me.
They really do need to fix it so you can pretty much harvest stones from any rock so then you can actually get a stone hatchet and DO something.

Did they really increase rock swing speed? cause it still feels really horrible and slow..

is there any greater Dota pleasure than watching EE get #exposed YET AGAIN??

Put it down. If you do it yourself it's even free.

the one with the dick

I wasn't saying that shops are bad but ok.

Also it's more of PULL safe space mentality. Plenty of tumblr famous gals like Anzu and Eikki shoop.

ggrks

Couple things, man. About 10% of the population of Tenochtitlan itself, and, hell, 10% of the population of Texcoco and Tlacopan, for a total of about 60,000 warriors? Those are entirely reasonable figures for the size of the core Aztec military when mobilized. And you're correct that dominated towns and altepeme were obligated to provide auxiliary soldiers (and weapons and costumes as part of their tribute), as well as feed the Aztec military when they passed by – but it's a CERTAINTY that none of these conquered polities provided anywhere near 80% of their able-bodied male populations as soldiers, nor were the vast majority of them anywhere near as large as Tenochtitlan. Most of them probably provided a couple hundred soldiers at the most, and they certainly didn't provide them all at once – rather, the Aztecs mustered them from nearby towns over the course of a campaign.

(Actually, does Hassig give exact figures for how many soldiers he believes they were obligated to provide on avg? I've dipped into his books, but I don't own them, they're 1000 miles away in my university library right now. And if he does give exact figures I'd be very curious to know how he got them – I've never read an archaeological paper directly addressing this and it's not part of the tribute illustrations in the Codex Mendoza etc. A few mins of googling didn't turn up anybody claiming to possess exact figures who didn't seem to be clearly talking out of their ass.)

I'm also afraid it's not true that the Aztecs didn't have garrisons. They absolutely built fortresses, and garrisoned them with soldiers – in conquered regions and on their borders (such as they were) with other hostile polities like the Tarascans. Hassig even mentions several such garrisons in the book you cited! I can link you the relevant pages on Google Books if you want. There are plenty of other sources on this too.

cont'd

cutie owo

fugg these are tight

when are they out? or did i miss it

Here, go buy one
patreon.com/posts/metal-gear-high-5844989
patreon.com/posts/metal-gear-sam-5854307

wow man, I felt it too when I saw the statues in the fellowship but man did you put that well. What a great trilogy

Damn! Thanks OP. I wanted to check this game out and here you are!

Wish I could return the favor

Plus, if she's on welfare, just don't. They are probably the most degenerate of them all.

Is there ever anything that does not offend a muslim?

Spanky Ham is best Muslim

if you're going to run with the future theory, it's at least the year 9000 since genies are djinn bound by Solomon and he lived in the 900s BC
"Ten thousand years will give you such a crick in the neck"

Best muslim coming in

no such thing

This is some frenchy kino.