Fonts

what is the best (bitmap) font for programming and assorted Holla Forums things?

Other urls found in this thread:

font.gohu.org/
github.com/belluzj/fantasque-sans
github.com/chrissimpkins/codeface
github.com/Tecate/bitmap-fonts
my.mixtape.moe/cyqhhm.tar.gz
raw.githubusercontent.com/chrissimpkins/codeface/master/README.md
madmalik.github.io/mononoki/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Input Mono

truetype: liberation mono
bitmap: terminus

trash

Come again?

It's current year. Use truetype.
Input Mono!

It only makes it obvious.

consolas and inconsolata
saged for shit thread

much mono shill

Coding or terminals in proportional fonts is for masochists.

yeah lets make more browser threads! xD

Obviously it's -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-*-100-*-*-*-*-*-* and if you think otherwise you have no taste.

Unifont if you use moonspeak in terminal like I do.

Droid Sans Mono Slashed

This. SGI Screen and Fixed are also good (bug Fixed Bold sucks hard).

correct answer
inconsolata for competent systems
consolas for homosexual rainbow-fringed cleartype font rendering

[F500]

Gohufont
font.gohu.org/

Crisp

/thread

Holy shit that's nice.

Fira mono

At least you got one of them

For what purpose?

hack

Aneu. Made by that girl from Lainchan who went crazy, but it's a sexy font. Screenshots related, I can share it if anyone wants

Gayest shit I have ever seen.

easy as hell to read, and cute

I appreciate what that font is trying to do, but for me it fails miserably. I find it rather difficult to read. Shit hurts my fucking eyes.

What resources are there for making your own fonts?

notepad++

It's actually very nice. Cute and simple.

Link, please?

You're my nigger okay?

Trash.

microsoft paint.

It's not a true bitmap font, it only looks like one.

Though it's not really a bitmap font, I do like Hack as a programmer font. Hack also has the distinction of being a free font.

what do you need it for?

Except for consolas every font named in this thread is free though.

Gay

This tbqh

Fantasque Sans Mono
github.com/belluzj/fantasque-sans
Looks like a meme font at first but it's the most readable one I've found so far precisely because some character features are slightly exaggerated. The only problem with them is that apostrophes are at an angle, kind of symmetrical to backticks.

give me a filehost

mixtape.moe

shig

What did he mean by this?

The Ubuntu font is surprisingly nice. It's very easy to read, every character is different and it's cute.

Input Mono is decent
t. not him

but I use Ubuntu Mono, simply because it has the best subpixel rendering

ugly af
like those dyslexia fonts

It is a bitmap font you mong. I'm not using subpixel rendering. That's the screenshot from the website.

I love how Proggy looks, but it's way too small on my 1080 screen.

Then go to the downloadpage and find the bitmap edition of it.

Protip: you can't. There's only a truetype one.

pick your poison

github.com/chrissimpkins/codeface

fontforge
and something to make SVGs for otf/ttf fonts like adobe illustrator

I like ttyp0 font since it lets me use a big font for hidpi display

the rendering on those screenshots is so fucking bad, it ruins any appeal to get any of those fonts

Asshole, some of those fonts in there have already been suggested earlier in this thread. Yet you only feel the need to be a smug ignorant smartass the moment you got told by reddit.

You didn't even reply to the post where the link is.

naw my dude I use a few of those fonts, all i'm saying is they could have worked on the rendering screenshots.

Stop being so nice. You're ruining my chan experience.

Another list of bitmap fonts:
github.com/Tecate/bitmap-fonts

Did you look at the webpage? Every single screenshot is a fucking smudge. What the fuck is someone who is looking for fonts going to think about all of those? They are going to think "this is all fucking shit", because that is exactly how it is being previewed to them.

I'm wondering if that page is a joke, because I cannot fathom how incompetent someone has to be do manage to do something like that.

What's possible is that the fag is using a gaypple computer with a hidpi screen, so the pics are the right size for him.

Wouldn't it be the opposite? I see them blurry as fuck on a regular 1920x1080. Wouldn't he see them even worse?

Nah, download the actual images, they're enormous.

my.mixtape.moe/cyqhhm.tar.gz

aneu02.ttf
aneu.pcf.gz
aneu.bdf

The problem is that the idiot took screenshots of way too large font size, which means the images itself are large, then he fucking hardcoded the width in the README.md, letting browsers do their shitty resizing.
raw.githubusercontent.com/chrissimpkins/codeface/master/README.md
Not only that, the images are linked to github pages of those image files instead of the image itself, so for each font you need 2 fucking steps to get to the non-blurry but oversized font image.
In short, the author is retarded.

what is the difference between pcf and bdf?
both load without problems

pcf on tty

they're the same basically, bdf is in a "more efficient" format, but the effects are negligible these days.

Friendly reminder that myopia can be caused or accelerated by prolonged 'near work' such as leaning in to read small fonts, or even focusuing intently to try to make out small fonts from afar.

Stop using that tiny bitmap font.

Only tryhards use the first ones anyway.
> grep pixel /etc/portage/savedconfig/x11-terms/st-0.7static char font[] = "Terminus:pixelsize=16";

I've seen firsthand what staring at smalls fonts for years can cause.
I'm using 14 for anything I can.

I have more trouble telling () and {} apart in terminus 16 than tewi 11. Terminus is shit tier.

Yeah, this. Ubuntu is a pleasant surprise. Really good font.

Daily reminder Times New Roman is a shit font that was designed for typewriters

Don't believe me?
The lowercase L 'l' and the number one "1" glyphs are the exact same, good luck un-seeing this next time you use Times New Roman

Same goes for high PPI screens. Scale that shit up if you have a high PPI screen, make it comfortable for your eyes and don't believe the memes.
Comfortable effective PPI is around 130, anything above will require regular zooming or scaling.

The glyphs are obviously different (head, feet, thickness, aspect ratio.....)

You are the one that needs an optometrist user. They are identical glyphs. Type the two into any text input will show you this. The reason is actually very simply because Times New Roman was based on a typewriter font and a lot of typewriters had no '1' key so the lowercase L 'l' was designed to double as a '1'. This meant they could get away with having one less potentially redundant typebar.

You're both wrong. The glyphs are not identical, but they are not "obviously" different either. One of you needs to go to an optician, the other just needs to stop browsing tech while on shrooms.

not quite, but very similar

Its based on a typewriter font

Pic related. Most typewriters do not have a dedicated 1 key to save that precious typebar real estate. TNR does make a slight differentiation but its so fucking subtle lets not be autistic now. They're more or less the same glyphs

I'm assuming that's why you have that practice of writing "l3 (thirteen)", people couldn't know if it's meant L3 or 13.

Nice bait. They look different enough to me.

BTFO
T
F
O

Too late. You got schooled.

Redpill me on fonts? I don't know what is the science behind them. I don't even know what bitmap is and when it should be use. D:

Fixedsys

Nothing special you need to know about fonts. There are theories behind them if you're a designer, but for regular people it's just: pick the one that looks good, or strains your eyes the least.

Anyway, bitmap fonts are translated 1:1 to the screen, so they're pixel perfect (like a png is f.e.) but every size (if it comes in different sizes) has to be created individually by the designer. A bitmap font always looks the same.

Truetype fonts are vector fonts. They're translated to the display (or printer) by an engine that renders them to the requested size. They can be transformed to any size you want, but when they're translated from vector to bitmap, the engine (could be a regular anti-aliasing engine, or the maybe the cleartype engine) uses algorithms to make them look natural in bitmap form. It'll always be an approximation of the original design though, using gradients to represent partially filled pixels.

I use monospace myself and set it to disable anti alias/smoothin on konsole.

Opentype is another font format, it's basically the UTF-8 of fonts. It can hold much more characters and information (e.g. ligatures) than truetype.

If you get a choice between opentype and truetype, then take opentype. Truetype in that case will basically be a gutted version of the font.

Cousine is my jam, it's the same font as Liberation Mono as far as I know. Recently I've taken a liking to Source Code Pro too, I prefer the "l" and some symbols in that font.

Who the fuck thought digital ligatures would be a good idea? They're harder to read and only exist because people will naturally write letters into each other when writing fast.

"1 1 1 1 lllll 1 l 1 l 1 l 1 l 1 l"
That wasn't hard.

madmalik.github.io/mononoki/
mononoki masterrace. fite me fags

STOP