Ubuntu founder Mark Shuttleworth insults free software community, compares Mir to gun control debate

By Brian Fagioli

When it comes to Linux on the desktop, I am primarily a Fedora user. Sure, I like trying out other distributions for fun, but I always return to the wonderful Fedora. Heck, I even mess around with Ubuntu on occasion, although I am not a huge fan of Unity -- I love GNOME. With that said, when Mark Shuttleworth, Ubuntu founder, recently announced that he was killing the Unity desktop environment and embracing GNOME, I was quite happy. It signaled less fragmentation and division in the Linux community.

My happiness was short lived, however, as Mark Shuttleworth has been insulting the free software community on social media. Over on Google+, he even goes so far as to compare the hate for the MIR display server to the debates on gun control and climate change. Really, Mr. Shuttleworth? In his vulgarity-laced rant, he even calls members of the free software community "deeply anti-social types." Gee, thanks a lot.

Regarding the recent decision to kill Unity, Google+ user Martin Kozub, wrote the following to Mark Shuttleworth.

This is not just sad because the projects Canonical worked on are dead.

The biggest problem I see is that most opensource developers don't understand and therefore don't appreciate Object-oriented programming (C++) and they produce ugly C code, sometimes utilizing custom features that brings their C closer to C++, increasing the overhead and decreasing readability. Why not use C++ directly then? That is for example the case of Wayland.

On the other hand Canonical is one of the few companies/communities that create nice and clean opensource C++, utilizing all the modern C++ features, as in Mir.

+Mark Shuttleworth Please, don't let Mir die :(. I understand that on desktop this may be hard and perhaps not viable, but since you are about to go IoT a lot more in the future Mir may prove very useful there.

Shuttleworth replied with the following nasty comment.

+Martin Kozub we have lots of IoT projects using Mir as a compositor so that code continues to receive investment. I agree, it's a very fast, clean and powerful graphics composition engine, and smart people love it for that.

The whole Mir hate-fest boggled my mind - it's free software that does something invisible really well. It became a political topic as irrational as climate change or gun control, where being on one side or the other was a sign of tribal allegiance. We have a problem in the community when people choose to hate free software instead of loving that someone cares enough to take their life's work and make it freely available.

I came to be disgusted with the hate on Mir. Really, it changed my opinion of the free software community.

I used to think that it was a privilege to serve people who also loved the idea of service, but now I think many members of the free software community are just deeply anti-social types who love to hate on whatever is mainstream. When Windows was mainstream they hated on it. Rationally, Windows does many things well and deserves respect for those. And when Canonical went mainstream, it became the focus of irrational hatred too. The very same muppets would write about how terrible it was that IOS/Android had no competition and then how terrible it was that Canonical was investing in (free software!) compositing and convergence. Fuck that shit.

Yikes. Shuttleworth sounds very bitter here. While he is free to speak his mind, a man of his position -- Executive Chairman at Canonical -- should really learn to bite his tongue in public. Look, such negative feedback towards the free software community (plus the childish use of vulgarity) can potentially cause irreparable harm to the Ubuntu and Canonical brands. Maybe he doesn't care about that, but the employees at his company likely do.

Even worse, comparing the discussion about MIR to the debate on gun control is downright insulting to people that have died from gun violence. Try making that comparison in front of a mother or father that lost a child to a shooting. I highly doubt they will understand how the MIR display server relates.

Does this change your view of Ubuntu? Tell me in the comments below.

betanews.com/2017/04/09/ubuntu-mark-shuttleworth-insults-mir-gun-control/

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_Hertoghe
harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /linus
twitter.com/brianfagioli
cardiacmap.com/2016/10/03/ppi/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

OP here. This is why I am against Commercialization of free software. I dislike Ubuntu for the same reason. After the freedesktop fiasco, I am planning to go to very basic linux.

fagioli, fagioli
get-a checked
your thyroidoli

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sign_of_Hertoghe

So apparently Ubuntu will become a touchscreen distro and a Red Hat project.

There's nothing about insulting about his view of Mir criticism and its comparison to the gun control debate. It's just a simple comparison. People really do get as angry as Shuttleworth says they do. This happens all the time here in Holla Forums.

Yeah, this is making mountains out of molehills.
Wow how shocking and dramatic.

It's not shocking and dramatic, it's just fun to see a bad businessman sperg out because the free software community doesn't buy into his projects.

His faggot developers started it by outright lying about Wayland.
They tried to justify it with convergence but anyone will tell you Wayland can accommodate what they were trying to do.
Hell, many of their Mir tools are forked directly from Wayland tools.
One thing you have to understand about Canonical is that they don't like contributing upstream for some reason. It's retarded.
They blow a lot of developer time reinventing things internally. Even fucking Intel is better at the game than Canonical. It's pathetic.

This guy doesn't understand shit about the free software community. Sometimes you have to tell everyone to straight get fucked. We expect it. It's how we make shit work.

Just like pottery.

I think you meant poettery

Cuck.
Did nothing wrong.

I don't understand what is the problem with Ubuntu going their own way and doing their own thing. They didn't take over the Wayland project and change that direction, they started a brand new project that has zero effect on the existing project. Why is it a problem that they choose to do this?

Canonical has the most popular GNU distribution for newcomers, and that enrages manchildren and autists.

Everything Canonical does is bad, everything Red Hat does is good. For instance: when Canonical pushed Mir instead of Wayland there were several shitstorms and they got called out for "fragmenting" and "not contributing to existing projects".

Yet, when Red Hat pushed Flatpak and systemd instead of Canonical's offerings (Snappy and Upstart) there was no such thing. In fact, the community demanded Canonical to drop Snappy and Upstart and start using Red Hat products.

Canonical also got shit when they announced Ubuntu for Windows and Ubuntu in Azure, but nothing for Red Hat despite RHEL being the first to jump to Azure.

That's what Mark meant in those posts: the community is too quick to judge Canonical and too lenient with Red Hat. In fact, you can't even say something nice about Canonical without being called names because they're a bunch of manchildren.

Commercialization (as in, trying to make money) isn't the problem per-se; it's when a project sets everything aside, sells out, betrays its principles, and alienates its userbase.

who the fuck says that? nobody.

Another Red Hat cuck

I mean seriously, just look at this fucking guy.

Do not use:

Make minimal use of GTK 3 and higher applications.

The amount of control that Red Hat has in the Linux world is unhealthy. We are seeing the same development patterns, same marketing tactics, and same concern-trolling horseshit from them as we see from another large software company.

I'm sick of seeing this fat fuck's fat fucking face.

People still make this shitty kind of argument?

harmful.cat-v.org/software/c /linus

Too bad that you niggers get angry over this, he is right. The linux community is too divided and autistic, focusing on small fragmented features that nobody but some small groups give a shit about. That is preventing normal people from getting into linux. Because 99% of the people don't wanna get something basic and then spend all their time gathering all those pieces to customize their OS. They do prefer something a bit bloated because that might have something useful in it for them. Also, OOB is not that bad you fucking fags. Stop being so autistic.

I don't understand this whole debate. Did people really hate Mir that much? Because they would've preferred Ubuntu working on Wayland, or for some other reason?

Anyway, X really needs to get replaced, the sooner, the better.

If Canonical had just stuck with Wayland, and focused on getting Unity 8 working for desktops first and foremost, we could have had it years ago. It would have been the Age of QT. Instead we're stuck with the autistic GNOME devs now and their constantly-breaking GTK library.

Everything they wanted to do would be welcomed in Wayland. They "started a new project" (in reality, they practically forked) because, like all of their other projects, they develop internally and then drop a big deuce a year or so later in the form of a launchpad repository.

The Mir/Wayland split wasn't so bad, because it could be supported easily. But, the reality is that audio is already a clusterfuck on Linux, we don't need compositing to be a clusterfuck.

Also, why do you faggots keep bitching about Red Hat? Intel has dumped more resources into Wayland than Red Hat, practically.

Red Hat is the Microsoft of the GNU/Linux world, while Canonical is the Apple. Why not hate both of them?

Wayland was basically vaporware when Mir was announced. It also lacked several features like multitouch support, font rendering, etc. That Canonical wanted to have for their convergence.

And the hate towards Red Hat is because they have too much power and influence over GNU/Linux. What they say, is done. Doesn't matter if it's a shitty solution (PulseAudio) or if the community doesn't like the new changes (GNOME 3, GTK).

I like this guy. Very reasonable complaints. Understandable bitterness.

But Ubuntu is still Linux for Niggers.

Agree, but Arch is Linux for queers.

What's to hate about Apple besides iOS (the unterOS used for their mobile devices)?

Proprietary shit.

Absolutely everything, from their business practices, to their propaganda, their users, their software, their products themselves. Not only are their products overpriced shit, they were hyped by retards to the point that all other manufacturers are now trying to becoming as shitty as them. Today you can't buy a laptop that's not a macbook.

ravioli ravioli give me the fagioli

Then contribute upstream. Canonical doesn't contribute upstream, it fucks off and then drops a deuce for everyone else to clean up. But the reality is, it wasn't vaporware. Not anymore than Mir was, and is, a year later and now, anyways.

And what's bad about macbooks?
At least the late-2013 pro variant was okay. Great display, 8 hours of battery life, CPU&GPU which can kick some ass when needed. And only 2 kg.
Remember that the main point of laptops is being portable.
not their fault
remember that they are primarily hardware company. unlike Microsoft and Google.
who cares? everyone can say shit, it's always imperative to use your brain anyway.
show me a laptop with at least the same specs and the same price as 2013 Retina™ MacBook™ Pro.

shoo nu-male.

This board isn't big enough for the two of us, Fagioli!

I love Gnome 3 and I like GTK's features.

Firstly, some unimportant crap: I like GNOME 2. It is familiar, kind of like classic Mac, and doesn't try to be Windows (like KDE). That said, KDE has far more consistent UIs and I generally use KDE programs in GNOME.

That said, I don't think he's wrong. The free software community is full of a bunch of whiny, opinionated, ungrateful faggots. Most of them are venting the kind of insults that they don't get to use in their real jobs because such behavior would get them fired.

Like when they asked the GNOME development team to include certain patches and they answered "fuck off and fork it", then they did, made Unity and still got shat on because "m-muh community"?

There's no winning with Red Hat. They don't accept anything that goes against their retarded design concepts and then get defensive when called out.

Like when they decided to remove the backspace and delete hotkeys from Nautilus and got pissed off when several users pointed that such a regression was retarded. Or when they decided to not include font renedering in Wayland's design (so GTK and QT programs will, once again, look different.), or when they didn't accept the patch made by some anons to add thumbnail previews to the file picker. Or when they decided to push PulseAudio as a fucking beta just because. Or when they decided to not use Canonical's offerings (Snappy and Upstart) and instead shoved Flatpak and systemd down everyone's throats.

Let's not even talk about the retarded decision they took for every new GTK version starting with GTK 4 (if you think Firefox's version numbers are stupid, wait until you have to install GTK 4, 4.6, 5, etc. because they can't and won't work on backwards compatibility), or how the entire community hated GNOME 3 and they kept pushing it and removing GNOME 2 features.

Red Hat is pure cancer to the community. They impose their views both through shilling and using their employees to hijack community projects.

flatpak is better though.

same me too

Red Hat is a vile parasite whose ultimate goal is to seize control of the host through centralized dependency. The way I see it, they've effectively already succeeded in this goal by way of their Trojan horse, systemd.

I wish they'd be more autistic. That attention to detail would be of benefit to them. For now I'm happy with MATE.

Yes it is.
Do you know where you are?

You like the d too, don't you?

In GNOME 2 era KDE wasn't trying to be Windows either. I miss those times.

This is why jobs are cancer these days. And why working on free software in one's spare time is so much fun.

False. They invest money into developing their own projects. If you don't like that, why aren't you investing your money into developing your own?

At some point, there has to be a realization that a file chooser is something different than a full-blown file manager.

Yes, a file chooser is simply a navigator. It should make navigation through files and folders easy. But the GTK one is completely fucked. Why does it support fucking recursive searching instead of type-ahead navigation, that's not file chooser's function.

Oh, you're right. I forgot we live in some kind of a luxurious communism where every individual has as much money as a corporation and can play god just like them.

Absolutely everything, from completely retarded keyboard, to glossy screen, to the non-ergonomic design, to inability to easily replace parts on your own, to the expensiveness. But it looks really good. It's for people who buy laptops as a fashion accessory.

People are not entitled to the work that other people have invested in. Complain all you want but your sense of entitlement is meaningless if you haven't invested yourself into the software you use. I respect Stallman because he took the time to dedicate his life to writing a free OS. He put his money where his mouth was and started writing code.

If you're not skilled to write code, then it is your own responsibility to hire a coder to do that technical work for you. The thing about free software is that it isn't necessary to solely burden the cost of software development when you can find a community of users who are all willing to share and cooperate in the development of their own free software.

Oh look, it's another thread where retards complain about how "systemd" is a trojan horse conspiracy and say that Red Hat invented Wayland when it was actually Intel who has the most invested in it, and Intel even threatened Canonical with the prospect of having them maintain their own shitty NIH Mir bindings in their driver, because they did not want to maintain it.
Jesus christ, how horrifying, the prospect of having to rebase your changes against upstream. That's what I hear whenever someone complains about how upstream will not maintain their pet changes. The fact that you're incompetent.

Intel is botnet, user. They're even worse than Red Hat.

Well, they did their job pretty well. I've moved back to Windows after YEARS of working exclusively from GNU/Linux.

Age of .NET when? It's open source now.

not an argument

proofs?

very comfy in fact. also can type any characters out of the box, they are in standard key layout.
what's making you butthurt?
so what? it has anti-reflective coating and under normal conditions you won't notice the glare. but it allows it to have such great clarity otoh, which is bretty gud.
what exactly is non-ergonomic?
most of the time I am actually using it for productive things. when I need to fix something, I will spend less time if I delegate this task to somebody else anyway. are you a hobo or unemployed?
I still wait for examples of same-level laptops for smaller price. Nobody here posted any examples.

Bader jokingly said "to piss you off", but it's actually true. I've come
to the conclusion that any programmer that would prefer the project to be
in C++ over C is likely a programmer that I really *would* prefer to piss
off, so that he doesn't come and screw up any project I'm involved with.
delicious
Linus is definitely our kind ofguy

GTK a shit

He was comparing the *arguments surrounding gun control, and their associated drama and rambling* to the Mir vs Wayland vs X11 debate, and he's not wrong.

This. Weird how this kind of drama mostly happens around Freedesktop.org projects, right? Haha.

Yeah, because no one has ever criticized SystemD

Have you read the Bible user? You know Jesus Christ told us not to sin. And yet you here continue your journey in something that is an abomination to God. Sodomy is not a healthy life choice. Try to repent and come back to normalcy again. Start from Romans chapters and ditch the macbook. Tell me if you need prayers to be straight.

so you have nothing to refute the points in that post, besides showing your "mac = gay"stereotype?

Stereotypes are based in facts. "Gooks are good at math" or "niggers are stupid" for example.

Or "OP is a faggot".

Relying on stereotypes is jumping to conclusions.

That's what stereotypes are for, faggot.

Jumping to conclusions is a great way of working with faulty assumptions.

It's not like he is wrong.
People so hate on mainstream stuff just because it is popular; their way of being edgy.
You telling me a lot of us aren't anti-social types. Only anti-social types feel comfortable calling complete strangers faggots.
Honestly, OP, thanks for bring this to our attention (I found it interesting) but if you are butthurt by this then you need to check your privilege. lol, yeah, I said it.

If they are faggots, they deserve being called so. Faggot.

I've always preferred using Ubuntu because i'm a baby duck but for fucks sake Shuttleworth is a giant homo.

i'm more annoyed that canonical decided to dump Mir despite fucking crashing Wayland to make it than I am with them going with their own solution in the first place. If you're going to do something, then do it. Now we're stuck with that piece of shit x and it'll be years before a viable replacement is primarily adopted. And it's always like this with canonical, they go and make their own shit, force you to get used to it then fucking dump it. "oh whats that, perfectly fine with upstart? FUCK YOU, SYSTEMDICKS". Oh hey you know the .deb file type? the one that no one complains about? Fuck you, here's snaps instead. How about we make our own DE, then fuck it up, unfuck it, and then drop it just as people are getting used to it?

also fagioli is a faggotoli, m-muh guns are ebil ;_;

Oh, and how about the ubuntu software center that worked perfectly fine but then they decided to switch to the GNOME software center and

NOW NONE OF YOUR FUCKING PACKAGES CAN BE INSTALLED ANYMORE

gee guess i'll just use the terminal now, completely fucking negating the point of having a software center in the first place.

Please post source.

Nevermind I got it.

The anime premiered on April 12, 2013 and ended on June 27, 2013 with twelve episodes. The second season aired between October 10, 2013 and December 26, 2013 with the same amount of episodes. The series was licensed in North America by Aniplex of America and was streamed with English subtitles by Crunchyroll and Hulu. The series has spawned four manga adaptations and two light novel series. Critical reception to the anime has been generally positive due to its delivery of conventional story elements often seen in the Gundam series alongside supernatural parts.

>>>/auschwitz/

Yeah, I'm not so happy that Unity is killed despite never using it and disliking it on a UI level. They were actually attempting to move to QT, which would hopefully inspire other projects and DEs to do the same.
It would be way better if GNOME died, then maybe even GTK could be saved and we would finally wake up from this horrible nightmare.

I agree with you, but snap vs. deb thing is wrong. It's better to compare it with xdg-app/flatpak

lol no ups.

The problem lies in this "Open Source" bullshit where the software can spy on you, have DRM up the wazoo, prevent you from modifying the code and distributing patches, prevent you from making forks and making your version based off of it, but as long as you can see the supposed code, it's technically open source.

FOSS is the only thing that matters, not "Open Source".

If you have a problem with open source and you want to promote freedom, then perhaps you should be using the term "free software" or "software that respects the users' freedom". Using the term Free Open Source Software means that you want to promote open source together with free software.

That's not open source; it's source-available. Read the Open Source Definition sections 1-4, faggot.
That can be open source. Open source doesn't have freedom 0.

Redhat and Canonical's shilling and attempts to control the linux ecosystem are why i moved (back) to Slackware. Their bullshit can't effect me when i use initv and 90% of my time is spent in a tty. Unless of course their bullshit gets initigrated into the kernel, but i doubt that will happen as long as Linus lives.

twitter.com/brianfagioli
twitter.com/brianfagioli

what the fuck fagioli

His every other twit is literally an explicit product endorsement. I refuse to believe he shills brands for free. Or is this now normal in America?

He's a writer at betanews, do you really think he gets paid enough for his writing to sustain him?

The source can be open but they can still prevent those things in the license.

Being Free software and being Open software are different things. Plenty of software can be modified and changed and shared but is not open source and vice-versa.

But if it's open source they can't, you nigger.
But you didn't read because you're a nigger.

Fellow slacker here using i3. I spend about 50% of my time in firefox, 40% in urxvt and 10% in mpv.
I wonder what it is that you do as to not require X at all? I've only not required X at all with headless build machines, servers and simple light coding setups, but not with a day-to-day setup.
Also, good luck using links without X libraries, because the default slackware package links against them - even the console version

If i need firefox or another graphical program i'll start x on another VT and ctrl-alt-F# back and forth as needed, but for looking up documentation, lurking various image boards and forums, and other trivial browsing w3m with embedded images enabled works well enough. Most every other task i preform on a regular basis there are several decent text mode or frame-buffer programs available. All I really do is shitpost, code and watch Chinese cartoons.

A long time ago i got firefox to run(poorly) in frame-buffer using a fork of gtk, but i doubt that would work anymore, or if it did it would likely set your cpu on fire.

I don't know what you mean by this. I understand that free software can be developed without the open source development method. Software developed through the open source method is also free software by definition.

Some software is written directly in machine code because there's no other way.

it's too expensive for neets like me who spend their entire lives shitposting on a chan

Buy a Thinkpad, then you'll now why macbooks are unusable.

but do they even have HiDPI screen?
which model are you talking about?

You scale that shit up to get effectively a very shitty resolution in the end.
cardiacmap.com/2016/10/03/ppi/
And yes, newer ones do come with QHD screens.
The non-macbook ones (X220/T_20 and older). Even the macbook ones are still better than apple's macbooks.
The thing is that most people have never experienced such comfort levels so they suffer through bad laptop designs without realizing that there's a huge room for improvement, they just think all the discomfort is unavoidable and normal when using a laptop. You will never come across anybody who migrated from thinkpad to macbook and said the change is amazing. It's always the other way around.

Do you even understand what did you write?

Yes, I do. Search for "effective" in a dictionary. In retard terms, the amount of shit you can put on your screen is roughly the same whether you use a HiDPI screen or not, unless you're an ant and therefore capable of looking at ant-sized shit. macOS doesn't even allow you to keep your shit at native scale because they are discriminatory against ants, or maybe even they know that ants don't use computers.
Additionally, high PPI screens just cause more inconveniences because software scaling support is often shitty or non-existent, even when you use some top professional software like Adobe's.
Now of course all that is not the sole point of screens with high PPI, but majority of times when someone mentions them it's because they've been memed by either marketers, other memed users, or ant consumer protection.

Simplicity of (driver) installation and use was never my beef with Ubuntu. It was Unity, Mir, systemd and selling out to Amazon that bothered me.
I'm okay with Canoncial developing an alternative to both X11 and Wayland, but writing it in C++ was a bad idea.
The systemd debacle has caused a rift in the freenix community that's as wide as between the (((Turks))) and the Greeks. And everyone should be free to develop alternative software. Monoculture is a cancer.
That's a bad double-standard, but, and this is no excuse, Canonical is more known among normies than Red Hat
The way I see it, Canonical is sometimes misuided, Red Hat is deep in bed with the NSA.

This.

But the text is more beautiful. And when I develop some photos, extra resolution is very handy.
wrong, it's just not in the UI
examples? All software I use currently does it just fine.

Gnome 3 user reporting in. I can confirm that Gnome 3 software has near universal HiDPI support.

I gave you an example: Adobe's software. It's really embarrassing too.

If we ignore the fact that most laptops don't come with a touchscreen display, it doesn't matter whether your DE itself only fucks up some of time. It's the programs that matter.

I don't care that my laptop and desktop has no touchscreen. I can do what I need in my computer with Gnome 3 and others.

I don't give a flying fuck. It's bloatware, requires root privileges for no good reason and is very cumbersome&unsafe to crack and I'm not gonna pay so much for it.

The point is not that you should use that shit, we all know only faggots do. The point is that even someone like Adobe fucks it up, someone that makes the kind of software that actually benefits from HiDPI.

wew ladz

which side of it..?

None, because they're both retarded. Do you think that when civil war breaks out I'm gonna get a permit for a gun? Shuttleworth gets it. I'm not even a burger though, and neither is he.