Why is Windows 7 so goddamn good?

Seriously. What was Microsoft thinking with Windows 10?

Windows does include some interesting performance optimisations (which is the only thing I'm interested in) but all the good is overshadowed by the bad including bad compatibility with older applications that work fine on 7, DX12 being locked to W10, awful awful ugly, inconsistent and tacky art design, shitload of spyware worse than even on previous iterations, less control over the system like inability to disable updates and online checking of local files unless you have a specific version (Enterprise I believe), fucking ads on the menu by default and a shitload of other problems.
Windows 10 could've been a perfectly fine system and a step up from 7 but they bundled it with so much shit it's not worth it for me.

I mean Windows 10 of course.

(checked)

Last version of Windows that wasn't a giant, steaming pile of shit: NT4.0
Last version of Windows that actually qualified as "good": WFW 3.11
Caveats: NT4.0 couldn't use more than 128M of RAM and had that annoying start menu bullshit, WFW 3.11 was basically useless for anything higher than a 80386 and couldn't use more than 32M of RAM, but within the limitations of the day, they were pretty good. Eveything that came after was simply terrible.
And let's be honest: everything that makes Windows 10 worse than Windows 7 was already implicit in Windows 95 and Windows NT5.0(aka Windows 2000).

This.

what a faggot desu

This is a good thread
I belong here.

They skipped 9.

Metro UI is fucking cancer. I guess their senior design team was replaced by former Starbucks employees. Also advertisements in the fucking start menu? Haha, what the fuck Microsoft?

functionallyparanoid.com

this

Microshaft makes its money selling software. WindowsXP was a rousing success if you ask the customers, but a horrid failure if you ask the developers. People liked it so much that they didn't want to switch when new shit came out.
Win7 was the next best option after XP lost its support, and people still don't want 8 or 10 because 7 is not as shit. 10 was largely the result of a change in the business model:
Instead of selling operating systems, they'll sell apps for 10. Nobody buys these apps though so now they have just said "fuck it" and are no longer even attempting to hide the spyware and make their money selling your info.

Linux > Windows

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, Windows/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, Windows plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning Windows system made useful by the NT corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by Microsoft. Many computer users run a modified version of the Windows system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of Windows which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the Windows system, developed by Microsoft. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. NT is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the Windows operating system: the whole system is basically Windows with Linux added, or Windows/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of Windows/Linux.

you're not that important. just do it puto

They were thinking "we can get all these assholes to give us another two hundred bucks"

Thanks, Bill Stallman

come to the comfy side, we have actually editable configs and straightforward init systems you can actually hack on
most linux shit is ported, if not just run linux compat libs and you're fucking done
bhyve is usable and can run win7, hdaudio drivers are done and will be merged soon>>7342376

If you're updating your windows 7 machine regularly, those same spyware are being downloaded into your system as well, bud.

I started using win10 about two weeks ago, and I'm really liking it.

Once you disable all the non-sense, it really feels no different than a better, and faster, version of win7.

I'm not shilling, or trying to convince anyone of anything, it's just my personal experience with it. Even the store is -VERY- handy, for someone like me who had to use that buggy and obnoxious Bluestacks shit in the past.

That Cortana thing is nothing more than a search function with voice activation.

Not updating just because you fear your data being collected, while still updating your windows 7 doesn't really make any sense, unless you don't really know what you're talking about.

it is possible if difficult to ignore FBINigger 7 updates, bud.
I hope you used one of the many de-spy tools, else you are cucked majorly.

Those are usually the "optional" updates. You can just choose to install the security updates on the important tab and be done with it.
You're just making yourself look guilty by saying that.

What happens if I forget to unmount a USB flash driver before removing it?

Yeah. Bsd's are shit.

*Drive

…nothing?
and if you're implying usb support is bad,

Also I disabled my Win7 updates after I got all the unpozzed ones i could get from it. I'm holding out as long as I can until I have to do something else.

Try it. Plug in a flash drive. Let it automount, then pull it out without unmounting it first.

Me also and I don't live in the USA to worry about both net Shite,

Lmao I love how paranoid people are about the Windows 10 telemetry. I'm still waiting for someone to post the webm from 2015 of the retarded Russian guy running an insider preview build lol. You can disable the telemetry, Cortana and Windows Defender in the registry. It's more of a pain in the ass than just unchecking a box in the settings app but it's doable.

To be fair though if I was doing illegal shit I would probably be running muh linux or a stone age version of Windows too.

look, fucking nothing happened

what is a bumble???

First of all, they thought if they give it for (((free))) more people will install it. When that happened, oy vey, lets stuff down their throats EVERYTHING. And this works with most people.
Not me.
Now I love Win10, after I spent almost 4 hours of customizing it and disabling spyware and bloatshit.
Winaero Tweaker, Anti-Beacon, Autoruns, glary utilities startup manager and ultimately regedit are your best friends. Also blackwipers win10 service configs. If you're still paranoid about leaking data, use Glasswire, you can basically monitor everything regarding your interwebz. Now that win 10 is skinned like a bitch (removed approx. 15 GB from fresh install), it actually works really fast and really good.

Windows 10 is legit awesome, just spend 45 minutes going through and uninstalling as much of the phone-home options as you can, and don't be a cheap ass, upgrade to Pro (not Ultimate) and you can control the update cycle.

Much faster than Win 7. If you're engaging in *TOP SECRET* activities, you should be on any Windows machine anyways, ya goofs.

It's not about being paranoid, it's about preserving what's left of your privacy in this post-social media world. I don't imagine Microsoft will sell my info to credit card pajeets, but that doesn't mean I will choose to trust them with it.

Preventing data leaks entirely is impossible, but for anyone that values their personal privacy and security, minimizing it is good practice and plenty doable. Keep your cards close to your chest and all that, right?
see

Also, it's not so much that it is (now) possible to disable most of the spy shit on 10, it's the fact that their entire business model is developed around capturing your user information that spooks me. It's just not fucking worth it, especially with the things they pulled at launch

That'll work until they add new "features" or change some settings around with some update and force you to mess around with the settings again. Win10 being the primary current focus means it'll be the one receiving more spyware of the currently supported systems.
Come the fuck on

Where the fuck am I

oh, and I didn't buy any win version ever. or any Microsoft software for that matter.
And I like the challenge, when they force something upon you, to completely destroy it. That's why I will probably always use win beside unix. I like to rape your little bitch ass OS. :D

There is also this to consider, since it's not like you audit every single update that passes to you, or are even able to. The spy shit you disabled could easily be re-enabled by the latest update, as it was with the Creators update because it revamped the whole user privacy system and gave you actual controls to change how your data is handled.
Windows 10 might be (((legit awesome))) t. but it comes at the costs of supporting the shit business model they've set up for themselves and continuing to cement Microsoft into the top position when it comes to operating systems.

Frankly, I want more games on Vulkan. But that won't happen if there's no demand, and there won't be demand if you use DX12, buy Windows Store exclusive games, and shill Windows to anons that aren't properly informed of the alternatives.

For topic of the OP: Windows 7 is good because the software has matured. With its age comes understanding, both from a low level and consumer level standpoint. This allows us a stable platform to develop on and use without fear of getting cucked or breached, unlike the very fluid state of 10.

For normies, 10 is just a weird update to Windows that they don't like but are too stupid to learn how to downgrade, so they end up getting used to it against their will. For compsci majors and /g/, it's a good system once you remove the bloat and rice it. For true redpill autists, it's the ultimate cancer and the final boss, not only because of how it works as an operating system, but the design and philosophy surrounding it as well as the negative effects it has on the free market.

I agree for more Vulcan games. I truly believe unix + vulcan can BTFO dx12 and win easy.

I've been working on that shit constantly, but it's a minor hassle compared to the overall improvements I'm seeing so far.

It's just personal opinion though, since using Linux would be objectively better security-wise. Unfortunately I feel like I'm starting to get a little too old to care about the OS I use for just casual browsing or w/e.

Also, I had 7 installed at first, when I changed this HDD, but then I decided to check 10 out just to see for myself if it was such a shit show I saw everyone talking about, and I've been surprisingly satisfied with what I've encountered, so far. The amount of work to keep the system free of bullshit is just about the same, really, it feels.

I feel you, and I never even considered upgrading to 10 before this last hd failure I had a few weeks ago. I only did upgrade because the whole system was already fucked anyway, so I decided why the fuck not? So far it's okay, but I don't think it's worth all the hassle if you JUST want to upgrade for the sake of using 10 over 7.

because it is basically Windows 10 minus the super spyware
it's just regular spyware…

Windows 10 is nice.

We are talking here about a proprietary closed source OS that you can not audit, you can not read the source code of anything. And you faggots seriously talk about "despying". My fucking god, people are stupid. What the fuck are you doing on this board anyway? You need to go back. Also: kys

Lol

We are talking here about a proprietary closed source OS that you can not audit, you can not read the source code of anything. And you faggots seriously talk about "despying". My fucking god, people are stupid. What the fuck are you doing on this board anyway? You need to go back. Also: kys

Lmao jfc pay to get cucked and advertised to

I still have hacktivated windows 7 ultimate. I know, proprietary software ect ect. I didn't pay for it and I use my pc mostly for gaming. No personal shit past that like banking or social media

The fact that other people will have had the ability to audit it makes it a valuable feature.

Logically the things being present in older versions of windows that are also present in 10 that makes it worse than windows 7 is kind of a moot point. What are you trying to tell me?

This
XP came out the day before the Patriot Act and definitely has much less spyware than Windows 7 and Windows 10

Win xp was the best

yep, windows 7 is better than windows (although any version of windows is pretty much shit) it's not filled with as much ads and bloatware like wincuck 10

win7 is halal
win10 is haram
bin laden says so

Better hope you don't have anything on your computer that might not be kosher goyim, I sure hope ISPs never end up cooperating to fuck you over.

No, logic doesn't mean you get to ramble nonsensically about thing you simply don't understand.
The eventual state of Windows being utter spyware was implied when (for instance) NT5 started phoning home to MS to check your authentication when you installed it, instead of just taking your word for it, as it did under NT4 when you used an authentic (if perhaps stolen) key. Which was still less intrusive than the hardware checksumming that was done under XP: if you recall, simply changing your ethernet adapter or installing a new hard drive would mean you had to spend the better part of an hour (if you were lucky) on the phone with MS to verify that you weren't pirating Windows.
95 was full of this sort of phone-home bullshit, too, but corporate clients wouldn't put up with paying some drone $25/hr to "authenticate" every copy every time an upgrade was done, until MS had enough market dominance to just say fuck you to everyone, which is why it took the NT side until 2003 to do so.