Job

So I need a fucking job.
I learned some PHP, SQl and Javascript, but I have no portfolio and I can't do one because I hate webdev. Which language I should learn to create a cool portfolio and get a simple job? Maybe learn how to fucking operate industrial machines with CNC will be good, but I don't know how I can prove what I know.
Also, I hate Java.

Just learn 10 more meme frameworks, upload your public life to facebook so your corporate overlords can see that you're a good goy, forgot everything you learned about html and css and use someone else's library, and make 10 websites for free for businesses in your area, because everyone lives in a city with 10 businesses that wants a website right now, and right from you! Then you're all set.

Perl, or for that matter any language that attracts armchair coder spittle on this board would work

Smart guy. You should also hate C#. These kind of jobs only make a not respected and replaceable code-drone. Plus you'll always be the bouncing ball of the marketing-department.

Honestly? Learn C and C++. People who specialize in that are relatively rare and employers will do a lot to make you not leave. It's not really much harder than coding webdev-stuff, you just need a solid understanding of how computers work.

Web developer here. Languages don't matter. It's a total clusterfuck and you'll have to deal with literally everything. Javascript, PHP, Python, Java, C++, Bash, and if you do HTML and CSS you better be prepared to learn like 15 different "frameworks" that people built on top of that shit because the raw stuff can't fucking hack it anymore. Then there's all the non-programming stuff you need to deal with like network authentication and database structuring and god damn cloud services linked into other cloud services because no large company actually hosts their own web shit anymore, they all buy space from Amazon and Google instead.

this. take the black hat pill

Also this. Software development is pretty much dead. If you pushed it like 15 years ago you'd have a nice position but those days are gone. Either wait for the big crash of the web or aim for project management.

Flip burgers. That's your best bet.

JAVA+SQL apply to your local pajeet employment facility

Wow.
The user who posted that is probably an older fuck than I am.

I heard Taco Bell is hiring.

and neither can the "high level" false abstraction memeware you're using

Entry level CNC jobs are out there, you just have to look.
I'll warn you now though, most of the programming these days is done through CAD/CAM software like BobCAD or similar programs, then it gets tweaked by the actual operator to reflect the machine setup requirements, like feed rates, tool positions, what inserts are being used to do the cutting,etc.
There's a lot more to it than that as well, since most places also require you to know how to proficiently use measuring tools like micrometers, calipers, dial indicators, angle gages, etc.
You also have to know how to read blueprints.
But good programmers make between $25-35 per hour, good operators make between $17-20 or more depending on experience.

Warning, this is a troll thread, don't answer.

this is horse shit

What is it then, if not programming?
When you decide which data structures to use in a program, is it non-programming stuff?

Different user in school for this, expanding on what was said.

There are lots of different software platforms that post G-code. If you specialize in one it will be hit or miss if you find a shop that uses the same one. Lots of experience in lots of common software with a good employment history opens doors.

If you are serious about wanting to get into industrial production technology you honestly need to go to school for this or find a shop that will take you under their wing. As the other user said you need to be good at using measuring instruments, you need to be good at print reading and you need to have a sense of how to work with machines and material. When you are learning you are going to make mistakes and with out somebody experienced watching you they will be hundred or thousand dollar mistakes. Unlike software dev, if you make an error or misunderstand something you will likely end up crashing a $800 tool into your work which can be a $1000 casting or into the machine which can easily be $200-300k. Those numbers are all on the low end. If scrap parts or crash machines a couple times you'll be out on your ass, there is no patience for it.

You CAN NOT bullshit in this field. Nearly everything is down to .001 to .0001 of an inch. When you start out your work will be under the microscope by multiple people. Also these are trades people, not computer geeks. If they figure out you were bullshitting them and fucked their machine up, there is a good chance they will fuck you up for the trouble you caused.

Ever considered looking at local job listings and adapting your CV after that? Don't work with shit you are passionate about, you'll end up hating it anyway.

Also, "CV-SEO" is generally a good idea so sprinkle your CV with relevant keywords. Recruiters don't read them one by one; they search. If you want to increase your chances for working with webshit for instance, include words like "Wordpress", "PHP", "HTML", "CSS", "Javascript" and "Node.js". I got one job through linkedin because I included "open source" in my profile, which was not actually relevant in any way to the job.

and that is exactly why he is wrong about rust. he is just not hip enough to understand that rust isn't merely a meme language.

here.
Just to expound a bit on mistakes that can happen, a few years ago I watched an experienced operator make a job ending one.
He accidentally misplaced a decimal point, and put 6. instead of .06, and ran a tool into a casting at 850 rpms.
The end result shattered the tool holder, tore the jaws off of the spindle, and threw the casting itself through the safety doors on the machine, and knocked the turret off of it's base.
The machine would have cost over 30 thousand dollars to repair but they wrote it off instead, it interrupted the production schedule,
and the operator lost his job on the spot.
They let him empty out his locker and walked him out.

If it's so easy to make a big mistake that costs tons of money, it shows they haven't solved the root issues. By always expecting humans to never make mistakes, they're setting themselves up for failure. I guess they're not bright enough to solve the real problem.

Maybe structure was the wrong word. Probably should have said "architecture". I meant stuff like deciding between stuff WiredTiger or MMap as your mongodb storage engine for something with 16,000,000+ records in it, or deciding between hosting things on simple apache servers or going full AWS on it, or dealing with docker/kubernetes/staccato virtualization environments.

Humans are capable of not making mistakes when you use more than one human for error checking. That's how the military does it. There isn't just one guy responsible for pressing the buttons on the nuclear reactor control panel on a nuclear submarine. There's him, the guy sitting next to him, and the officer sitting behind him all double checking and calling out exactly what actions they're taking to ensure nothing bad happens. If the electrician's mate on a submarine accidentally turns the wrong knob and starts up the diesel backup generator while the thing is underwater, everybody dies. Instantly.

I forgot to mention: that's why any serious software development outfit will force everybody to go through code reviews of some kind before shit gets committed.

There is nothing to solve.
The operator was making a common offset to account for tool wear during the middle of a run and didn't double check his work before he hit the Start button.
Part of the reason those jobs pay so well is that there's a lot of responsibility tied up to it, and it's not like he couldn't have prevented it either.

Simply double checking his alterations would have done it, he could have also turned the Rapid Overrride switch to 0% and manually toggled it to make sure that the tool was going to do what it was supposed to.
It was simply carelessness on his part.
The tool itself, and the basic system behind it weren't at fault, he was.

There's also the issue of time.
Production schedules are a bitch, and when you have to run 940+ widgets in a single 8 hour shift (not an example, I've had to do that) to meet a quota, stopping every so often to get someone to check over your work is not feasible from a manufacturing standpoint.
Delays cost money, and I can tell you from first hand experience that not meeting a quota is almost as bad as crashing a machine.A lot of contracts have lost-time/failure to deliver penalties built into them, and it's no exaggeration to say that if you can't do it right the first time, every time, then the company will find someone who can.