Why aren't you using SailfishOS or Ubuntu Mobile? Aren't you concerned about your privacy...

Why aren't you using SailfishOS or Ubuntu Mobile? Aren't you concerned about your privacy? Aren't you supposed to be super elite hackers able to install and maintain an Arch and Gentoo install by writing the bytes by hand in a punchcard?

The porting guides aren't even that hard:
developer.ubuntu.com/en/phone/devices/porting-new-device/
sailfishos.org/develop/hadk/

Pic related. It's very comfy.

just install LineageOS and then kill yourself

Install Windows and kill yourself.

Stop pretending to know what you're talking about and do actually kill yourself, OP.

Because it doesn't have any of the apps I need, and CopperheadOS is better. Especially with all the new apps FDroid is getting. It's fantastic.

Feel free to point us to a place where we can purchase phones that have these OSs, OP.

i have an iPhone.
tryed Ubuntu touch a year ago, it was utter shit, unpractical, unstable, no apps.
i know its not finished but the gesture design is terrible.

i think sailfish is better but didn't try it, maybe some day.

Because if I wanted that level of functionality I'd just buy a tablet without a SIM slot.

You're talking just like a Windows user when asked to install Linux.

I'm not saying the platforms are perfect, but I thought there would be more support here even if it's just for learning reasons.

Because my Nokia N9 has only Meego available.

Isn't sailfish not even opensource?

can these actually do call and text or do you need a secondary phone?

Because it takes fucking long enough to get custom Android roms onto a device let alone an alternative OS. There's a reason why they only support phones from 2012.

Coz I'm using Inferno Mobile Embedded Special Edition 2017 on my NDS.

Because there is no decently compact phone that runs either of those, only humongous ≥4" monstrosities.

Ubuntu touch is objectively shit and has no purpose.
Sailfish on the other hand could get an edge, but Androshit and iOS are so far ahead in term of app availability i don't think any manufacturer would risk making a phone for it.
so sadly, i think its a dead end too.
could've been something 4 or 5 years ago

First off, no, I'm not talking about muh games. I mean real tools that aren't on Ubuntu Touch or Sailfish. I'm devving apps for another phone alternative. I'm not part of the problem, dude.

Also: I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

The whole idea of "privacy" on a smartphone seems retarded and self-defeating to me.

They are trying to sell those to pajeets with Aptoide preinstalled. Some phones are already being sold.

Also, there is a Russian initiative to get Sailfish into their market.

You'd say the same about PCs if Windows 10 was the only OS option available since always.

they're shit user

Sailfish OS is proprietary, and Ubuntu Touch has even worse hardware and software support. I'll try Ubuntu Touch if it gets a proper port to my phone, but for now I'm going to stick with CyanogenMod/LineageOS with F-Droid.

AFAIRC, only the UI is. The platform below that is 100% Free software.

Most of the stock apps and the Android compatibility layer are proprietary too, at the very least. Jolla created those. They own the copyright. They could release them as free software, but they choose to keep them proprietary. I don't want to support that.

Redpill me on Plasma Mobile Holla Forums.

Well as of today, ubuntu phone is officially dead.

Isn't Replicant the only android OS worth actually using if you're going to use a cucked phone to begin with?

It has no proprietary software, but the proprietary software it removes compared to base LineageOS is mostly drivers. You get less proprietary software, but not less malicious software. And in either case you keep the software in the modem, which is proprietary and potentially malicious and impossible to replace.

Time to write a pajeet tier phone app then.

:^)

Go complain to the FCC about how arbitrary users aren't allowed to modify the code behind the public cell phone system.

I've thought about it, but I hardly use my smartphone except for what it's intended for-- and that will always be monitored. what would a good rom be for a Moto X style/pure?

The modem has an unreasonable amount of control over the rest of the hardware. It could be used as a backdoor. It has severe and unnecessary problems.

Because I use a dumb burner phone with no internet capabilities whatsoever.

But not the baseband.

Sailfish is useless. If I wanted a mobile OS where the baseband, UI, and most of the libraries and stock apps are all closed-source and the only thing open was the kernel and a handful of libraries, then I'd just use goddamn Android.

Hell, even AOSP variants like Lineage are more open than Sailfish.

have better things to do than spending years piss-arsing around trying to put a incompatible, incomplete possibly rubbish os on a device i hardly use

That is unfortunately true, and you can't fix it without changing the retarded laws that make it mandatory. The best thing you can do right now is look for a phone where the baseband chip doesn't have DMA access to RAM and can be powered off when you don't need it, so it can't breach your main OS and sees/sends only what the main OS allows it to.
However, there still is value in having an open, auditable and secure OS managing your private data, even if its main communication channel with the world is through a botnet chip.

Then don't use them. You can install Free replacements.

That's a queer way to say "the entire standard Linux system". Unlike Android which NIH's the entire system save for the (extensively modified) Linux kernel, Sailfish runs on top of vanilla GNU userspace, Qt5, Wayland and pulseaudio and systemd (plz no bully). You can literally open a terminal app on your device (or SSH into it from outside) and treat it like every other Linux system.

GSM standards are standard. Sailfish phones use the same baseband chips as other phones, anyway.
Web standards are standard. Sailfish's web browser uses the same WebKit engine as Apple's browsers, anyway.
There is a breddy gud compatibility layer for Android apps, too, if the wealth of Free Software native Sailfish apps is not enough for you. It's proprietary, though.
On top of a polished shell and phone functionality (IMHO much more comfortable than every other smartphone OS), it's a full Linux system that can do everything your desktop Linux PC can.
Sound like an improvement over a surely rubbish OS like Android, iOS or WinPho, right?
You can buy a device that comes with it preinstalled.

goddamn the moto g1 is sexy as fuck. i wish mine was still working.

I don't want a tracking device. Besides I have no one to call. This is how I stay ahead of you guys

I'm still waiting for Replicant 6.0 to get ported to more devices

Is there an updated version of this image?

didn't canonical dump ubuntu mobile along with unity?

have you tryed CopperheadOS?

Yes. This thread is older than that announcement, though.

just look at the installgentoo recommendations

All smart-phone's have proprietary firmware and other stuff.