Hitching

I've always wanted to hitch hike. I've just never had the balls to do it. The closest I've come was traveling by myself to Miami Beach for spring break with $200 and a plane ticket. I got there, no plans or anything. I just had my bag with clothes, a sheet, and a pillow. I ended up sleeping on the beach for a night, drank with some people, and a couple let me crash at their place for the week. I've been thinking about it more and more and I was wondering if any of you fuckers had experience hitching or anything of the sort. Story time:

Suggestions? Comments? Anything is appreciated. Also, OP is a faggot

Other urls found in this thread:

wandrlymagazine.com/article/hitchhiking/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Get a bike and pedal whetever you legs take you

I have a bike. I'm just not interested in riding it 800 miles.

People don't really hitchhike anymore, kiddo. It's not the 60-80's or whatever where you could pick up teenagers and rape them in the bushes.

bump

Rape is just as easy as it ever was tbh.
t. Knower

i have both hitched and picked up hitchers - both are sketchy propositions - you either have to be prepared for anything, or just dont give a fuck…
i was a little from column "a", little from column "b"…
my point is that hitching and picking are activities that only sketchy people (like me) do…
how sketchy am i?
I'm here aren't I?

Hitchhiking is Not Dangerous

Hitchhiking is not as dangerous as most people believe. As a society, in America at least, most of us are very disconnected from our fellow citizens and we equate strangers with danger because that is a natural fear that we have. But statistics don't bare that out. You're more likely to be killed or injured by someone you know.

I've picked up hitchhikers and had no problems.

wandrlymagazine.com/article/hitchhiking/

bump

I'll pick you up Op.

you could train hop to get closer if you figure out what's going to where. I'm not really in the know about all of the details, but if you want to travel long distances in 'murrica for cheap, hopping a train is probably a good bet.

I've read about it but I don't think I want to wait around for random trains which hopefully are going slow enough for me to hop on and hopefully go in the right direction. Also, apparently there's a high risk of getting caught or dying (mostly because people are stupid) but nonetheless. I'd rather take my chances hitching.

Man, you got lucky with the Satanist one.
They are some right crazy mofos.

I tried hitch-hiking a few times in vermont because I had people to visit across the state and thought it would be fun. Every time I did it there was some point where it was a little after dark and I thought about how I should have just brought a car to school and then someone nice would pick me up. A lot of times I invited them to a party or something since they gave me a ride and I met some really nice people like that.
But it also hurts your feet to walk on the pavement all day and in a lot of states it's not really legal (got stopped in upstate NY before). VT is pretty legit the only time a cop ever stopped me in VT was just to give me a ride.

Wear a button down shirt, your most comfortable shoes and do not wear sunglasses or a visor. Overall it's overrated and have no desire to do it again but I guess it's worth trying just so you don't feel like you missed out on something.

Thanks for the advice and insight user. I met some cool people when I went to Florida by myself. I would probably wear a heavy backpack, my hiking bates (lites), shorts, and a colorful shirt. I'm actually from Upstate NY. Where did you get stopped? Also hitch hiking isn't really illegal. Cops (wrongfully) believe it is and will definitely give you a hard time, but it isn't as long as you stand on the grass or shoulder and don't thump on the highway. I've read that on ramps are a good spot.

Yeah I don't know this guy said that it's illegal to have your thumb out on the shoulder. He didn't really do anything just asked me not to stick my thumb out until I walked out of his town so I just did rather than argue with him- after that I just avoided NY. I was just on rt 22 north of Bennington, I started and was ending in VT so after that I just avoided going into NY when I didn't have to.
I haven't tried on limited access highways before. But 7 and 4 in VT are pretty good roads to hike on, as easy as anywhere else I guess.
I really recommend something with a collar (so like at the very least a polo) and nothing hiding your face. I've been picked up by a number of middle-aged/older folks who say that anything covering the face is the one reason they don't pick people up, I also turn around and face traffic for that reason, even if you have to walk backwards.

Stranger danger is something that isn't stressed enough. You should always consider people you don't know to be hostile threats until proven otherwise.

I've hitched rides probably a couple of dozen times, always had a good time. Most of the times it was a planned trip (wanted to get somewhere so hitched), a couple of times it was just because I was somewhere I didn't want to be and I just wanted to get home fast.

The last few times I hitched were when I was backpacking, and they were planned trips so I had nice large signs I printed up at Kinko's with the destination city (that way you look less like a bum and more like an adventuring person).

It helps to have short hair and clean, modern clothes, so you don't look like street trash.

Don't expect to get the first ride, or the second, or the 100th. Just be patient and hang out and eventually someone will stop and pick you up.

If you're female you WILL be raped and possibly killed or enslaved if you try to hitch anywhere in the world.

bump

Why would anyone want to pick up a nazi on the street OP? Get out of my country.

rail riding is not for the faint of heart, in addition to the act itself being surprisingly dangerous, trainyard bulls will properly fuck you up if they catch you - we're talking about guys who were too stupid and mean to be cops…
and then there's the FTRA (not many true hardcore members of this fun little social club left, but they will murder you just for the practice…)