Amidst Tanking Sales, Marvel Attempts to Save Face

BOMBING HARDER THAN WE EVER THOUGHT POSSIBLE

In a embarrassingly transparent bid to save face within the industry, Marvel ships loads of free copies to retailers so that it boosts their "sales" numbers.

Now, comic shops are stuck with heaps of books that no one is buying. On the bright side, at least they won't need to spend money on toilet paper.

kek

Other urls found in this thread:

vividpub.com/submissions.php?pg=submissions
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
wiccananime.com/amslt/amslttrekkiestale
twitter.com/i/moments/806974521143984129
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

MORE FOR LORD KEKU

holy fuck i didn't think it was going this badly for them

FOR COMICS TO SURVIVE THERE MUST BE A BLOOD SACRIFICE

I love Marvel characters, but I can't help but laugh at the cucks on their rapidly sinking ship

Marvel one step closer to publishing a pro Isis comic book.

AK-47s for everyone

The shattered "Now" is actually a good representation of Marvel's current state.

I wonder how long it will take them to retcon One More Day out of desperation.

If the numbers are just units shipped and not actually comics sold, I'd love to see some updated numbers of how many people actually bought this shit rather than just how many of them are cluttering some comic shop's storage closet.

Meme them until Marvel files bankruptcy.

Yes you fit in, stop asking

Buy one thread, get one free.

Marvel needs to pull a Trump and fire their whole team so they can get some much better artists/writers/editors in there.

College interns are cheap, sure, but the decline in sales shows that "cheap" isn't a word of hope.

I'm starting to wonder if a Rebirth-esque rollback would even help at this point. They would need another bullshit crossover just to unfuck the status quo of so many books and characters, which would be pointless in itself without worthwhile creative teams and editors worth a damn.

It's like Marvel is setting themselves up for an Implosion of their own. Not that it'd be a first for them.

I think the first step to unNowing themselves would be to try something like Legends of the Dark Knight or Showcase (anthologies where every story has its own universe) and use it to find some actual talent (and maybe new ideas).

I think we're past the point where intentional Crisis style in universe retcons will suffice. The only thing that can save Marvel (or American comics in general) is another GoldenAge-SilverAge type discontinuity.

not hard user. You have to remember that Galactus made cannon the fact that any lore could be ass pulled for any reason.

The problem is that working conditions at the Marvel offices are so terrible that no editor worth a damn actually wants to work there. And no writer or artist who's anything better than above-average wants to work with an editor who's shit.

What Marvel really needs is for Disney to get off their asses and get involved. And they're not going to do that until the company is completely fucked over, so Marvel comics are going to be in pretty bad shape for a while.

I can think of a dozen ways to save Marvel, but since I fucking hate Marvel and their SJW artists and writers, they can burn in hell.

They made poor continuity a in universe law.

That's fucking amazing laziness.

That has more to do with the ever shifting timeline than canon asspulls though.

Not the best idea, given that the appeal for something like LODK is that it showcased stuff by contemporary top talent. Nobody lines up to follow anthologies headlined by no-names.

Discontinuity is a non-solution in an age where writing for the trades is practically mandatory to sustain interest.

That would be fucking hilarious. Imagine if they brought back the Ultimate Universe again.

I've seen that before in regards to The Elder Scrolls.
It is called a "Dragon Break" because time is personified by a dragon and if someone writes some shit without knowing the lore that conflicts with the lore than its a "Dragon Break".

They probably reboot again to make there universe work more like the DC universe. Because marvel thinks that why DC is beating them. Knowing them. Did linkara reacted to marvel getting BTFO by DC after doing what's Linkara wanted?

Ha!

Go go, DC Re-birth!

Not sure how Marvel can pull themselves out of this one without doing a DC. All this pretentious SJW faggotry and intellectually bankrupt stories like Civil War 2 may be catching up to them.

It would be too easy to leech money. Give away #1s during box office, chuck in tie-in lines to the movie so people engage with the comic AND movie at the same time, then leave it on a cliffhanger and encourage them to read the next issue.
Seeing as their A-listers are going to leave inevitably, this is the only reasonable way to continue to milk it.

Also, the comics can't be directly referenced by the films, else movie goers would be confused. Like The Flash Season 0 except not at all because that writing and art was garbage

This has always boggled my mind.

The point of Free Comic Book Day is to get people to pick up titles that they wouldn't normally buy by giving away free teasers. How much effort would it take to make sure that theaters who pay for movie showings also get a box of MOVIE PROTAGONIST #0 with a Take One sign on premier days? It motivates people to come on opening weekend and puts comics into the hands of people who would never set foot in a comic shop.

Have they tried making good comics yet?

They don't know how to do that anymore, user.

THAT'S JUST CRAZY TALK

GET THIS HOT HEAD OUTTA HERE

Most of their employees are supposed to be politically correct Hipsters at this point, remember?

Sup.

But quality is racist/sexist/ableist, user!

Nope.

>>>Holla Forums

Is this the new ">>>Holla Forums"?

Oh, user, you need to keep your eye on the prize. We want BOTH companies to fail.

The only thing that's new here is you, mate.

It's more about lore always changing being canon than timeline fuckery.

This is specifically said to a character who modern marvel added as both a mary sue and fucking with lore. i.e. he was always there cis scum.

Now they just need to go the extra step and say that continuity is meaningless in a never ending franchise.

I said this in another thread, superhero characters aren't characters, they're franchises. They're product. Whatever changes are made to them will never last for they will never end.

Who have they killed off?

You make it sound like that's even remotely comparable to Marvel's antics with gender pronouns being important to a fight, She-Thor getting freebie KOs because muh feminism, horrific Tumblr-tier art in stuff like She-Hulk, Iron Negress, a braindead Captain Marvel, Ms Muslim, the mess of bad writing that is Civil War 2 along with War Machine's Black Lives Matter funeral…

It's not even close right now, user. When they start doing shit like DC You again, let me know.

Good. They can die and comics that are actually good can rise.

It is called fanboys covering Bethesda's ass.

It's like Didio started a meeting by asking "How can we make comics even less of a career?"

That's…not entirely true. A Dragon Break is when the single, unified timeline splits into multiple, slightly different timelines and then recombines. After the timelines recombine, they are all technically considered true, despite this being somewhat of a paradox. This event tends to only happen when some big monster shows up that's so big it fucks with the fabric of reality. This is what they used to make all the endings of Daggefall canon without having to choose one.

Yeah, the Carnage series by Gerry Conway

the problem there is what fans they have left are loyal to the characters, which is the only way they put up with the shitty writing they get. If they make it explicit that characters are franchises, they might suddenly realize that buying everything Batman or Spiderman is in is as fucking stupid as buying a bag of onions because Shrek is on it (which actually did happen)

exception confirms the rule. There are what, 3 decent books against fyckton of shit

I don't collect much comics or even collect Marvel for that matter. Somebody want to fill me in?

Marvel has for a couple of years now been rewriting their hero lineup to pander to Tumblr and Twitter SJWs. This has lead to them race-swapping and sex-swapping almost every "cis white male scumlord", turning all the old woman and minority characters into progressivist mouth pieces, and for their staff to directly insult white male readers both in interviews and in the writings.
I know people hate when Gamergate gets brought up, but this really resembles nothing so much as "Gamers don't have to be your audience anymore. Gamers are dead!" And it had the exact same outcome as it did for the tranny indie clique.
Sales are nuked across the board, down by 80% at least with every series in two years with no sign of recovery. We thought that the film department and Disney were sneaking the comics firm some money to keep them afloat and continue shitting out SJW propaganda without fear of financial consequence, but either they're getting tired of paying life-support or someone is getting humiliated at the low numbers, so they're now giving away extra hundreds or even thousands of extra copies of their newest books to comic shops just so they can lie to the sales tankers that their shipping numbers are still high.

Marvel Comics already filed for bankruptcy back in 1996. Their past experience and Disney money flowing into their coffers, it's not going to happen again, casual.

If you really want to "meme" them into anything as if man can control memes, you'd "meme" them into becoming so unprofitable that they're forced to go into reprints, which would cause a massive downsize and the loss of many jobs.

I believe user knows the in-universe definition of dragon break but they've been using that to cover their ass when it comes to any kind of major lore error, one big one being everything involving their online MMO which they continuously insist is canon.
That, and TRANSCRIPTION ERROR

I think Disney either doesn't know or care about what happens to the comics side. I read somewhere that all this is different divisions so Disney doesn't know whats going on either until someone tells them or it pops up hardcore on social media. Remember when the Cap Hydra thing was all over the net? Disney stepped in during that because they had no idea it was happening until it was all over social media. Thats probably why the storyline got toned down to the way it is now because they didn't want it fucking with movie appeal and sales.

Jesus Christ, could you ramble anymore?

The straight answer is Marvel is in trouble because they're producing garbage. SJW garbage, but garbage none the less.

Comic shops might be the city dump as far as product is concerned, but even they have limits.

Eh, I'd call that rambling if it was twice as long and spent a third of it's length talking about something unrelated. As is, it's more than necessary, but only so far as to be very thorough.

THIS, why do they fucking Insult their customers? is kind of why Trump also won since SJW were basically insulting people for shit like being short males or having small penises ( the Trump Statue comes to mind)

SJW are garbage and borderline eugenicist, agressive and nobody wants to be with such horrible people, the worst, is that they think they are the good guys for some reason (media)

That'd be like handing out preview copies of the latest adapted NYT best-seller. It'd be a waste of money for publishers to print and wouldn't guarantee anything besides frustrated theater chains that now have to deal with boxes of freebies they aren't making money on.

Considering how unpredictable freelancing in general, an exclusive contract is the proverbial golden parachute to experienced pros and new talent. The choice between taking your chances and the guarantee of at least getting work at one publisher (and health care) isn't a choice at all for most.

And how is that a bad thing?

The contracts don't work that way. You get healthcare, dental, but you only get paid when you finish pages and you can't do any other comic work without DC's express permission. You can't work anywhere else, if something better comes along you have to turn it down, and presumably you can't start working on your own original property because you're working for DC now.

Now since you're paid by the pages you turn in, imagine the scripts are late. You start working on them the second they arrive, but then you're informed that they've got someone else doing the art because the scripts are late. You've only got eleven pages in, which means you just took a huge hit to your income.

If the page rate is $200, that's around $4800 for 24 pages of comics. Due to the tardiness of the scripts, you're looking at a loss of $2200. Shit like that happens all of the time in comics, and since you're not allowed to work anywhere else to supplement your income, you're fucked.

That's the problem with exclusive contracts. DC isn't offering exclusive contracts to help artists. They're offering them purely to take talent away from Marvel.

How long before they bring back Hickman to write another massive crossover event that relaunches the universe?

It's not a bad thing, but it's not what that guy asked for.

My understanding of Marvel's current management is Marvel doesn't need any help repelling talent.

I went to the FCBD event from this year and there were mostly n. 0s and some n. 1s, but nothing new. Even the 2000AD free comic had reprinted stuff, but at least one exclusive story iirc.

That's a fair point. Really, all DC has to do right now is not be deplorable scumbags and not be social justice-obsessed psychotics and all the decent talent will flock to them in droves begging "Please, please, save us from Marvel!"

But that's not going to happen because DC really isn't any better.

I don't think you understand how Bethesda lore works. Because the fan's didn't do this, kirkbride did. Imagine if you had a moderately interesting DnD campaign and turned it into a game. Now imagine that you hired nerds to write the first two games, a schizophrenic, Gnostic, shoom abuser to write the third game, and then hired hacks to write the fifth and fourth. And then the Schitzo kept writing long after he left your company, and you for some reason humored him and keep sticking his stuff in your games.
That is Elder Scrolls lore, it's all over the place, often contradictory and it makes token look like sesame street in terms of complexity. I love it.

marvel really is an amazing trainwreck

A T O M I C

It'll be gold if stores stop selling their comics because they are not selling. Great news honestly

As much as I wish that to happen, what are they going to put up in their place? IDW and Dark Horse?
Unfortunately I think comics will need to try and MOVE this shit by putting it out front, otherwise they'll face cutting back to a much smaller selection. It's not a good time to be a FLCS

I could only hope. As much shit as that was, it was a great concept and painfully executed. All of the ultimate comics had their moments, but in the end it became the worst drama magnet universe because executives kept trying to recreate sales spikes.

They care more about shoveling propaganda than profit.

Your point?

This basically sums it up.

For both of the big two at this point the only real long term solution is a complete purge. Marvel needs it slightly more than DC now but this state of affairs isn't new and DC hasn't always been on top.

Comics as a career is absolutely shitfucked. Playboy stopped being a real option years before they formally stopped doing it and anyone other than the big two either pays absolute shit or locks in a few people long term outside of lucky breaks.

Young artists who want to "get into" comics or art in general almost universally go into webcomics now and set up Patreon. Provided you get enough shares on patreon and sell smut on the side to backers you can make your own rules and don't need to put up with an editor wanting to play writer and artist behind your back. I know artists who basically focus full time on their webcomic and self advertise and at least in theory stay solvent.

As much as we mock Jeph for being a complete fucking hack the biggest problem with 2016 webcomics is that they produce higher than current professional standard work at a rate that makes it impossible for people to stand out even with years of backlog. I have to repeat: The amateur market is in such a place that just being twice or three times as good as a professional is no longer enough to get noticed. DC and Marvel could in theory replace anybody working for them in a week, but modern comic people just have no interest in them.

no shit

now you're just talking shit

and yet it seems golden compared to everything else

Let's not forget Renew your vows. that's a whopping four

I heard rumors he's going to DC.
Plus he tells stories in a long format, so even with him back it would take awhile

If she's given constant coddling and back-patting and sympathy in spite of her constant failures, still a Mary Sue. Being a Mary Sue is more often about how the character is treated by the story than what they actually accomplish. A Mary Sue can fail all the time but it doesn't matter if those failures never mean anything and the Mary Sue is never held accountable or forced to struggle as a result of her failures. In fact if little bad ever happens to a character in spite of their constant failures, I'd say that makes them an even bigger Mary Sue over one that constantly succeeds.

I think they do matter, Cecil's still dead, still got a mysterious background the writer should revisit.

I think because of the nature of the genre that it's become ingrained that the hero must win due to the CCA.

Plus I don't always mind Mary Sue's if they're done right. Look at One Punch Man for example

OPM is played for comedy, and the story does make it clear he is a flawed individual even if he is the most powerful man in existence and moral enough to not be a cunt. He doesn't get a lot of recognition in spite of his strength, and he's kind of a stooge.

There's no such thing as "Mary Sue done right." It is not an objective character trait. If you have a Mary Sue, you have failed at something.

I don't want to read a story about a loser if I'm expected to take them seriously as a hero. They can fail sometimes, but it should be meaningful. I expect the hero to win. They just need to win interestingly.

Cecil immediately came back as a ghost so it's as if his death never happened. Which it kind of shouldn't have. If Gwenpool is going to be about a wacky fourth wall breaking gag character a la Dr. Slump who always wins because it's funny and interesting rather than logical, then throwing in any gritty consequences just sours the whole thing.

You can have a comedy story about losers who happen to be strong and win, but the moment you bring ANY serious drama in and don't play it off as a joke in more than a couple of pages, it fucks up the formula you've got going. Because that makes people stop and think about how your funny hero shouldn't have been able to just one punch that guy straight into a gag because it doesn't work on the rules of a dramatic story. When Cecil died and didn't get resolved until the next issue it established that Gwens actions have serious and deadly consequences when her main deal is that she has no powers or training and gets by because it's a funny comic if she does.

Gwen gets by because she understands comics. It just didn't dawn on her until Modok pushed her shit in that she is a part of the Marvel universe and she's bound by its rules as well. Dr. Strange also showed that the Marvel universe is connected to our universe where Gwen is originally from and even gave her the option to return if I recall correctly.

Gwen is largely played for laughs, but it would be silly to try and compare western humor to eastern humor. Dr Slump-tier humor is far too Japanese to work anywhere else other than western cartoons like Looney Tunes and Disney where it originated.

I think the art in Gwen Poole is what attracts readers more than the story. I've seen non-Gurihiru Gwen art and it was awful. It also shows that a good artist can keep a comic together even when the story is average at best. A terrible artist will cripple a comic before you can even read the comic as per new squirrel girl.

This joke was obvious but I laughed anyway dammit.

What did Linkara say again?

We could be having a Graphic Novel/Webcomic Golden Age of New Literacy, i stead, we get the proliferation of the funnies.

Between Saitama being called a Mary Sue and Rey Skywalker being defended as not being one I think it's clear that a lot of people have no idea what a Mary Sue is anymore.

He shitting on people for not buying more progressive marvel comics. He still shill hard for Fat acceptance squirrel girl. He calls the book masterpiece.

You'd think, "wish fulfillment" character would be easy to identify.

It's been that way for practically 10 years now, probably more. But I'm still going to keep calling it out when I see it.

Shit like this is why people become weebs.

Saitama is a Mary Sue. That's part of the joke. Rey is very very very much a Mary Sue unironically. You're the one here with no idea what they're talking about.

Those two cannot be true at the same time.

For a character to be a proper Mary Sue, they need to be a wish fulfillment fantasy of the author and be played absolutely straight within the confines of the story.

Saitama is definitely not fulfilling any wishful fantasies, because his entire life is disappointingly boring(to him).
He's not overcoming challenges in bullshit ways, on account of there never being a real challenge for him to overcome in the first place.

Genos would be much closer to a proper Mary Sue: he's an orphan cyborg who gets to do cool shit, hangs out with the most powerful being on the planet, he is immediately successful and popular, and if he fails he has friends to bail him out. Even that doesn't really qualify as a Mary Sue though, because it is all consistent with the rules the OPM world operates on.

Wish fulfillment? In my superhero comics?

ONE likes making these characters. They're Mary sues but the comic usually deconstructs why they're so bad, just like Mob Psycho 100.

Then it's not a Mary Sue you fucking retard, a character who is very powerful but still flawed in character and is not treated overwhelmingly positive by the story is not a Mary Sue, it's just a character. It's a damn point in the story that vast psychic power is literally all Mob has going for him because without it he's a bland dullard of average intelligence with little personality. You could argue it's an intentional parody of a Mary Sue, but Mob himself is not a Mary Sue. He can't even impress the girl he likes.

I can feel it deep in my bones. It's like the polarity has finally shifted. This is the time when it all ends. All the suffering they've caused has come back to them and now they will finally feel the pain they deserve.

There will be firings. There will be twitter meltdowns. Cancellations will flow like water. When the dust settles, there may not be much of Marvel comics left, but if there's any hope of rebuilding, it will not be with these virtue signally moral authoritarian busybodies at the helm.

Leave it alone man. He clearly doesn't know the difference between an overpowered character and a Mary Sue. To him the strongest character is a Mary Sue in anything.

Oh sweet mama yes. It can't happen fast enough.

Thank fuck, I've had to resort to reading badly translated Asian and European comics for the past 17 years.

The tell of a real Mary Sue is whether reality seems to bend to make them always right, even when making glaringly poor decisions. See James T. Kirk, Mockingbird, Squirrel Girl, Hellcat…

They are always right, ALWAYS RIGHT. Richard Cypher from The Sword Of Truth is the absolute worst in this regard, his literal power is always being right, in a universe basically constructed to work as a didactic for Objectivism, black and white morality, and absolutism, he is always right and you are always wrong, and even if it looks like he's doing exactly the same thing as the villains, he is right and they are wrong because HE'S GOT THE SWORD.

Really overt versions of this are Mr. A and Sonichu, Mr. A.'s stories are just parables to cram loljectivism down our throats, so there's no ambiguity in the situations he meets. In fact Watchmen's central conceit was, what if Mr. A ran into a situation his philosophy couldn't possibly handle?
And of course Chris-Chan in the comics is a mass murderer who controls an entire town like Big Brother, holding public executions and enforcing his laws with an army of supernatural electric hedgehog pokemon. Anyone who is not Chris can see this, but he's autistic and probably a narcissist.

Don't get me started on Mockingbird fucking the cowboy, murdering him, and pretending to be raped. The author probably has some pretty severe issues if she thinks THAT's heroic behaviour.

Im waiting to see the rise of some new publication companies. They are coming, and they are coming soon.
Point in case, Vivid Publishing.
vividpub.com/submissions.php?pg=submissions

I like that their slogan is apparently "We suck less".

lolwrong

I want to believe, user. I just can't see it happening right now. Marvel is still stuck in the denial right now. As long as they continue to get asspats from the Comic Alliances of the world, they seem to convince themselves they're doing alright. The publishing division in nothing but old, beaten down yes men (Alonso and Brevoort) and retarded hipsters (Wil Moss) that hire their retarded hipster twitter friends. It's going to take someone on high to clear the shit that is passing for the publishing division right now and I don't think they care as long as the movies do well.

Man you are not getting warmer

The term "Mary Sue" comes from Star Trek fandom to begin with and it is decidedly not a Kirk reference

I got a question..ain't the Phantom Rider being the Old West Ghost Rider?

Here's the thing, Saitama is wish fulfillment to us, the viewer…but the series played out what happened when the character's wish is fulfilled showing Saitama being bored that he's the strongest hero in the universe but unlike Western comics who would've had Saitama gone nuts and start murdering people because "lol power corrupts and heroes are secretly evil", they have him being somewhat close to a Booster Gold (a great hero..but no one took him seriously save for a handful few) and live his life like a boring old guy.

Really? Kirk isn't a Mary Sue, just because he predates the term?
The guy written as Horatio Hornblower without the humility, the guy who is all of Shakespeare's heroes except he wins all the time?

He predates the Johnny Blaze version. Any connection is a retcon, like the Nicholas Cage film.
Originally he was just a Lone Ranger type who used radioactive dust to make his clothes and mask glow in the dark so he'd look like a ghost.
Blame Steve Englehardt for turning him into a rapist.

Well Kirk was definitely Shatners wish fulfillment.

I thought the Cat Girl with 3 boobs in Star Trek V was Shatner's wish fulfillment?

I mean, he was called the Ghost Rider in his debut.

He is somewhat on point about "universe makes them right," though that is just one element of Mary Suedom. The thing is, there isn't a strict checklist. Not all Mary Sues are equal in Suedom. It's a list of various traits that, when piled up on each other, eventually create a Mary Sue. It's like chemistry.

Off the top of my head, such tratis include:

One or two of these traits do not make a Sue, though they can still make a bad character. It's when you get a handful or more of them that you can establish an argument that the character is a Mary Sue.

Reminds me of when Carol Danvers made her appearance with Avengers Assemble. Oh, god the mary sue cringe was so fucking bad
This all happens the first fucking 5 minutes of episode. Stopped watching after that.
I know, shows bad but there was a charm too it. Than that epidode was like a train wreck with visible body parts everywhere

Better example: Wesley Crusher being Gene Roddenberry's wish fulfillment, self-insert Gary Stu.

Mary Sue clip of Captain Marvel

And then wil wheaton turned out to be a worthless faggot anyway

That was painful.
I hope the MCU fails before her movie comes out. Brie Larson sucks ass at acting, comedy and looks like trash.

what would you like to see in a comic? not DC or Marvle, not something currently being done

I don't have to agree with him, he needs to lose weight

you, I like you, also why is western writing so addicted to "Power Corrupts" what is so incomprehensible about a person having power and sanity at once?

the MCU has generally been good at making things work so I wont write it off, but that clip was very much an example of doing it wrong.

Because people still think it's clever.

but… its literally older then printed text, its older then cave paintings! its not strictly a bad plot point but its not remotely original by any bend of the imagination

That too. Originality or just being clever requires work. So it's easier just to use the oldest tropes in the book.

this I don't get you're in a creative field, you entered it in theory because you enjoy coming up with things, you should welcome the challenges of creativity, not shun them, sure archetypes will always have a place but some just need to have a moment to breath

Well, yeah. Wheaton hating Roddenberry likely has more to do with the fact that he was a bitter cunt who felt he deserved to be more famous and well-liked than he was. The fact that he expressed that through playing one of the worst-written characters on an otherwise amazing series only makes him look like a colossal faggot.

Because it's true and it's always relevant.

Why is Cap saluting to her like she's his superior?

He's checking his privilege.

The writers considea her such

It doesn't matter if Marvel doesn't see the need to change, the big crux is going to be if the High Church of the Mouse finds this continued behavior acceptable. If it really does get too bad they might eventually FORCE Marvel to take action or else they'll suffer huge budget cuts across the board, because I have to imagine outside of the movies Marvel cannot be bringing in too much money in the paper industry.

The Movies are the Only thing Keeping Them Alive, And They Hate it. The writers seem down right jealous of the film universe

Yeah, the woman who's best acomplishment was giving Rogue superpowers, then got raped by an interdimensional entity to get pregnant by that entity and be raped again by it.

What the fuck marvle…. this is how you treat the bearer of your fucking name?

The bearer of their name died in the 1970s. She only took up the Captain Marvel name recently.

I mean, granted, she was "Miss Marvel" before that, but I'm not sure that's really "bearing the name" as much as Captain.

Captain marvel, formely known as Miss Marvel, was the most useless superhero in cape comics history, adding nothing new and surprising noone.

Point is she's a legacy character to the guy theit name came from, also why did they do so ltitle with her till recently?

Because nobody fucking likes her, but now they're trying to show her down everyone's throats as if she's always been their feminist mouthpiece to appease SJWs who don't know comic history so they don't know it's not true.

They were waiting for Marvel's final skrull invasion, so they could go full SJW.

What would be interesting is if all the supers were all basically well-meaning people who came into conflict over legitimate disagreements, I mean I guess that's been repeatedly tried but the usual result seems to be that everybody's written as a dick

The term comes from a parody meant to mock a type of character that appeared often in Star Trek fan fiction. So it's a bit ironic to say, no, it was actually the main character that was the Mary Sue all along, and not these self-inserts that were so lame they irritated fans who loved Captain Kirk. Honestly super-great-at-everything characters who are right even when they're wrong are a staple of lousy Star Trek writing, something that happens whenever the writer wants to prove some kind of point but their allegory doesn't make any sense.

One more thing: Gene's middle name is Wesley. Wesley Crusher is seriously the worst and most blatant canon example by far that I can think of.

That was fucking horrible but I would hesitate to count that (or Rey) because it's more pandering and preaching than a wish-fulfilling self-insert. It's basically a PSA to teach little boys a lesson about how girls are superior in every way.

Well the movies and Action figure/T-shirt sales

I think the Technis imperative did this well

Didn't the term Mary Sue originate from a Star Trek fanfic character that was a parody of characters with the traits we associate with a Mary Sue?

I think it goes from even before. From a series of children books about Mary Sue, a heroine who couldn't do anything wrong.

I know it's not exactly hard evidence but wikipedia supports the Star Trek Fanfic theory, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

And this may be the actual short story: wiccananime.com/amslt/amslttrekkiestale

Oh, I stand corrected.

Part of me pities him because he's not the one who wrote Wesley to be such an insufferable Mary Sue. But then I remember he was a shit actor and he's a twat in real life.

He was on big bang theory, there is nothing to pity

"Wish fulfillment" is essentially a main criteria for a Mary Sue. PSA, Personal Service Announcement, is usually an obvious propaganda piece. It's blunt about the message.
The scene with Carol is an obvious as fuck Mary Sue.
Carol is a fucking mary sue in this episode. Honestly did not watch the rest cause this scene was so fucking bad.

twitter.com/i/moments/806974521143984129

Whale simone

Will she jump on that fat female hero from valiant comics?

It's time for Gail to go back to the salon.

It's worse than that. The original Captain Marvel has 3 kids, two of which are boys who are still active, one was gay and the other was parading around as "Marvel Boy" both had more right to the name than her.

They only picked her because she's a woman.

I mean even then, there's already a female character (a black one no less) who already used the name Captain Marvel, but she was passed up in favour of Carol for reasons unknown.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws
No.

pls email [email protected]/* */ if you're a cat named sakamoto and want a cute furret to lick your paws

Now we can't have a hero upload the demo 'cause you'll be deleting it like the jew you are.

you right, but thank you for you help

Not sure, afraid to say it is and someone comes along with one older.

Why would you run sash on Primarina?

It's autosaging

yes, it would stress out the rats.

Accept that you're not a real Canuck. Move to San Diego with the other cosmopolitan men.

remove yourself before I remove you, kiddo.

Paris syndrome

Give them out to the homeless to burn for heat.

What are those numbers?

Do people still count as weebs if they have a good reason for saying Japanese stuff is better?

Does anyone else in entertainment have two or more generations hate them and still have regular work?

Thanks for reinforcing my stance on not giving Assemble a chance after I saw it once though fucked physics has been a staple in that cartoon since its beginning.
Thank god it looks like the new JLA cartoon isn't shit.
Need to find the episodes to watch though

People of her ilk don't know how to keep their word.

That's easily what got me the most out of that clip

wont happen
Disney will keep them alive with movie money

Ghostbusters.
It made a bunch more, but still lost something to the tune of $60mill.
Yes, always yes.

unless the protagonist is a pure white christian Aryan male, the comic is worthless shit

what about picking-up other niches in addition?

where I live, there are mixed stores for comics and videogames

to be fair, Carol was around longer than any of those Captains

When did she got fat? She use too look good

This. The bad guy doesn't need to fucking kick puppies, maybe he's a really nice guy who treats his mooks well, has positive plans for the world and is genuinely good intentioned, but goes about it illegally or in a way another Super disapproves of.

I remember there was a Justice League movie a while back where Wonder Woman went into some asian country and gave a bunch of women guns to kill some men who ruled over them. I always wondered "What if someone stronger came in and did the opposite?". I want to see a villain the heroes legitimately can't beat, and see how they react when he starts imposing his will.

Justice League: The New Frontier.
It was alright. Mostly just Superman going "But Diana, we can't be like those damn commies we just beat :^))))", then the entire movie being Green Lantern shit, with Barry having to save the day, as usual.

SHHHH, the videogame niche doesn't need any more pussywhipped SJW cucks and beta orbiters.

Fuck Off we're FULL

Thanks bud.

Like I said, I always wondered what would happen if some guy more powerful than Wonder Woman just came in and did the opposite. I want to see Superheroes react to feeling the powerlessness regular people feel in their wake.

Well, there's the stupid Justice League: Act of God Elseworld comic..or you can read the Convergence tie-ins

I read that.

I should have prefaced that I also want the story to be good and written by someone who isn't completely ignorant of the characters.

I mean, besides the universe death battle thing, most of the Convergence tie-ins usually have the heroes dealing with being powerless. Like Supes and Atom still be heroes, Earth-2 Supes and Power Girl had to deal with being powerless etc.

That rules out Convergence entirely.

So, they have to make the immense sacrifice of being like workers in everywhere else and don't turn work late? I mean, that's why deadlines exist in the first place.

No, you retard. If someone else hands you their part of the work late, and something you need to start your work, you're screwed.

Thor's hammer

Oh, well.

At that point it is just better to do everything yourself. Writing standards are not particularly high, and especially not at the big two.

That was a villain introduction. Anyone who has watched a long-running series, especially from the 80's/90's would know exactly what I'm talking about. It's an old trope.
If this show was any more self aware they would realize this.

Then she is the villain by the end? I seriously doubt that.

I dunno user, I've never seen it.
I was just saying that's how that sort of thing normally plays out.

Sounds exactly like Terra from Teen Titans

The MCU is shit, you're an idiot.

Cancelled; it's better to ignore anything to the contrary.

What the name of that event that a tryhardy edgy bullshit where they had shit like Blob eating Wasp, and killed off Wolverine? That was the moment I was pretty sure the Ultimate line was fucked. They confirmed it by bringing people back to life, which is pretty much THE thing people hate about comics (at least before Marvel became [CURRENT YEAR] writers)

I hate shit the has any hero show up and "save" other heroes. Anytime Barry goes to ask another hero for help in The Flash, he always happens to stop said hero from getting killed. It really undermines heroes abilities and just makes them seem lucky. Also,

Ultimatum. That event was a total mess. Probably trying to emulate Game of Thrones but without the grace and good narrative.

At least Ant Man got a head.

The MCU is good. Fuck you.

That was the point where EVERYONE knew that place was gonna die; even Marvel.
Also, I doubt anyone read "The Game of Thrones" at that point.

She's always been fat.

GoT wasn't on the air then and there's no way Jeph Loeb has read a book in the last 30 years. Or maybe ever. Chances are it was a mix of him just trying too hard and still dealing with the loss of his son.

"Jeph, we need to talk."

The MCU is shit. Iron Man was good and that's about it.