Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2

There's a few lines that should have been cut, and the parts where the music kicked in should have lasted longer. It was weird to go from something like Shang-a-Lang to generic, forgettable orchestral music.

Otherwise, this is probably one of the best movies to come out of this hellish superhero movie trend.

Other urls found in this thread:

ew.com/movies/2017/05/06/neil-degrasse-tyson-summer-sci-fi-movie-reviews-guardians-alien-baywatch/
youtu.be/Fncq9KJnG5E
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel17a.htm
comicbook.com/marvel/2017/05/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-adam-warlock-avengers-infinity-war/
io9.gizmodo.com/kevin-feige-thinks-that-eventually-marvel-tv-and-movie-1794974004
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Don't make capeshit threads.

This is probably the first MCU film I've ever seen where death actually fucking mattered and was taken seriously, despite how much humor was stuffed into it. And on that note, this one had ACTUAL humor. Not the MCU's typical quirky pandering, like, actual legitimate humor, with proper comedic construction and everything. And it was actually laugh-my-ass-off funny, too!

But what I think really got me was how human it really was. This movie really gets the human experience, and reflects upon it in one of the most unique ways I've ever seen, treating it with a lot more respect than the MCU has generally given to their source material. Of course, the source material for Guardians of the Galaxy is bottom-of-the-barrel bullshit to begin with, giving James Gunn a lot of creative range with it to give it actual substance and charm.

Vol. 2 easily makes the first Guardians look like the awkward, mediocre mess that was Ant-Man. It's THAT fucking good. I don't wanna jump there too fast, but it's easily one of the best MCU films I've ever seen.

9/10 would watch again

My only complaint with the humor is that there were a few moments where they could have just let the moment play out on it's own, but it was like they got jumpy and said "QUICK SHOVE IN ANOTHER JOKE!" Not that anything is especially unfunny or cringeworthy,but still.

The death was more effective and felt more meaningful than just about anything else put out by Marvel/Disney. Some truly top-notch characterization.

If your way of saying Vol 2 is good is that it makes the original look bad then you've lost me, the original was already mediocre

9/10 is for timeless classics not for reddit pandering capeshit that just dropped the other week

All I gotta know is if Karen Gillans got any hot scenes, that might merit a watch but otherwise not interested

That's typical for American humor, though. With British humor, they land the joke, get a lotta keks out of it, and move on instead of holding on it for too long. Still, what Guardians 2 did for humor sure beats the shit out of shawarma, orange slices or Tony Stank any day of the week.

Well fine, I guess to the standards of a negative-Nancy like you, Vol 2 is at least good. One thing it isn't is mediocre, I can assure you that, even if a certain degree of its substance is what you so pessimistically think of as "reddit pandering capeshit". If you hate superhero movies that much, don't fucking watch them. Gives you less reason to make the rest of us suffer from your obnoxious whining.

You mean Nebula? I guess if you like the way she contorts her body like the way she did in the first one, Vol 2 is equally decent fetish fuel. Not much else though.

You are a tremendous faggot.

have you ever actually seen British humor?

I do hate capeshit, I don't watch capeshit. I will continue to come on here and complain about capeshit, because they are a cancer of the movie industry that is stifling creativity - why make new films when you can make more capeshit? If you don't want to defend capeshit when challenged then go to a place that unambiguously adores capeshit like Reddit or Tumblr

This is exclusively an american thing to refer to british humour. Britain has a diversity of comedy just like the US, not all of it is amazing and it doesn't share the same style. The stuff that is popular abroad is not even the good stuff. Stuff like Jimmy Carr and Russell Brand is absolute shite. I don't blame you for being underwhelmed.

Some recommendations:

That Mitchell and Webb Look
Big Train
Bruiser
Vic and Bob's House of Fools
Nathan Barley
Count Arthur Strong
The Mighty Boosh
Peep Show
Spike Milligan's 'V'
Obligatory Monty Python's Flying Circus
Big School
Not Going Out

Don't be put off by BBC being attached to some of these, they do shite like 'Citizen Khan' but BBC2 produces a lot of good comedy. Avoid 'funny' politics shows like Mock the Week like the plague unless you want terminal cancer.

I couldn't get into Not Going Out, but I loved Peep Show. Might check a few of those later, thanks user.

No problem user. If your issue with Not Going Out was Lucy being a total ballbusting bitch who never respects Lee or returns his affection even though he's a stand-up guy you might be happy to know that Lee and Lucy eventually date and get married and have three kids together. So in effect she was just a massive tsundere the whole time.

Any camrip out there?

Give it time. There will probably be a pretty decent one coming out of the UK because it released there earlier.

No
?

It's almost as if you have 90% poor taste
BBC hasn't really put out much of note in years.

Do you feel in charge?

That's your typical Marvel movie, user.

Also need to add Garth Marenghis Darkplace & Man to Man with Dean Learner

Sorry grandad, I wanted to put some stuff in there from after 2000 too. Alan Partridge is kino as is the rest on your list except Father Ted, which I believe to this day to be grossly overrated. If we are adding to the list then I might as well put The Thick Of It, Blackadder and Red Dwarf.

I think that's part of the reason GotG stands out amongst all the other Marvel movies. The soundtrack has a lot of obscure, but great music that fits in with the 80s nostalgiaboner the movie has.

They did this with the Iron Man movies also. Any chance to play some ACDC was welcomed by audiences. No one remembers that time Captain America jumped around while the orchestra played. Everyone remembers that time Thunderstruck kicked on as Iron Man flew in to save the day.

You're either really young or a musical pleb if this shit is "obscure" to you

Reminder that James Gunn's only notable work before GotG was pic related

I listen to the radio pretty much all day at work, oldies and classic rock stations mostly, and I've never heard any of these songs played on the radio in the past 20 years.

The 70s were 50 years ago, Grandpa.

What about Slither? That was fun in a B-Movie switch your brain off kinda way. I believe James Gunn was responsible for it.

STARLAAAAAAAA

Don't fall into this trap.

Father Ted was also a great little show. Mighty Boosh is what's actually overrated. You probably liked "Luxury Comedy" too

I really liked the Mighty Boosh. 'The Nightmare of Milky Joe' has to be one of my favourite pieces of comedy ever made. Luxury Comedy series 1 was fairly underwhelming. Luxury Comedy Series 2 was better than Series 1 in my opinion as they returned to the 'sitcom' format with recurring characters instead of the sketch show deal. But overall Noel Fielding is one of the few comedians that can capably handle random access humour and have it still be funny.

What are you talking about?

Fucking hell, they let noel fielding do another season of Luxury Comedy?

How?

Cocaine parties

Noel is a modestly talented visual artist but a deeply unfunny individual. His shows look great then fail in almost all other aspects. Luxury Comedy would have worked fine as a type of Pee-Wee's playhouse "for adults" (i.e. teenaged and art school girls) if they had simply removed "Comedy" from the title. Because ironically comedy was the one luxury the show could not afford.

"The Young Ones", niggers.

I honestly preferred "Bottom" and "Filthy, Rich and Catflap", but can't have those without the Young Ones I suppose.

Have some rare Adrian Edmonson kino though

The best film in the entire MCU, hands down. Everyone in this thread who either disliked it, or keeps shitting on it because of the "le capeshit" meme can go eat a fucking bullet. People like that are the reason I hate this board, you can't just talk about movies or T.V., everything has to be about what YOU like as opposed to something good and fun.

Fucking faggots.

Also, no one gives a fuck about British Humor. Shut up and go start your own thread.

Next thing you know you'll start screeching about the "Star Wars Prequels were good" meme threads

i wish shills would fuck off already

everyone knows the "prequels were good" is an elaborate shitpost. it's not a secret.

Neil deGrasse Tyson zings the science of 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'

GUARDIANCUCKS BTFO

ew.com/movies/2017/05/06/neil-degrasse-tyson-summer-sci-fi-movie-reviews-guardians-alien-baywatch/

Kill yourself my man

t. nigger science man

wtf I hate science now

Yeah and elves don't exist, fantasy btfo

yfw even the supposedly smartest nigger around is a complete retard

Of course not, it's a fucking movie about a talking Racoon fighting a literal planet.

That shit's like the goto line for smarmy cunts who think they are better than everyone else
>WELL ACK-SHOO-ALLLY YOU WOULDN'T HEAR ANYTHING IN SPACE!!
Faggot, they never play any music in the vacuum of space. It's always playing on a speaker inside the ship or on the com system.

Just got back from seeing this with my family tonight. This is the one capeshit movie that is totally worth it. It was great.

Is this shills or something? I can't believe this film would be anything other than 'okay'

OP here. I just genuinely enjoyed this movie.

It was alright. It worked because it could have been an 8 issue comic book story, most capeshit is "whats the wikipedia entry for this storyline? k got it" and has no original thought or merit.

This felt like a star trek episode. mystery appears solved only to be too god to be true and then challenge appears that must be resolved.

Only criticism is pushing drax as comedic relief too hard for the braindead tumblr generation who would call the music "old"

Some of the music was a bit off, but it was a very well made movie.

It was a very strong scene to see Star Lord at long last understand what makes a man a father and who his real father was.
I agree. It's one of the few movies I wouldn't mind watching again.

The scene with Nebula and the second in command was pretty forced. I do think the movie should have dropped that last half of the scene.

Give it a few weeks. A Chinese rip should show up soon.

Yes. It was well made.

The music is old. The 70s were nearly 50 years ago, the 80s were nearly 40 years ago, the 90s were nearly 30 years ago, the 2000s were nearly 20 years ago, and we're going to hit the 2020s before you know it. The people that were listening to 70s music when it came out are either close to or at retirement age, or are dead. The kids that were in HS back in the 2000s generally have kids that are now in school and may be in HS as well.

In other words, the music is old and will only get older. Before anyone here knows it, the music from the 2010s will be considered old as well.

best parts are

- eugenics society
- yondu
- stan lee potentially confirmed as a watcher
- hasselhoff

also, all the father/son themes made me reflect a bit on my own shit, which doesn't happen all too often, so props for gunn to actually strike an emotional chord in me. apparently he was in some fucked up situations in his youth, and it reflected in this movie.

kek.

pick one black science man

I know some men will question this. But, my favorite sequence of the entire movie. Was when the raccoon single handedly defended the ship. Totally kawaii.>>731456

This is now a cat thread youtu.be/Fncq9KJnG5E ;

It was 4/10 at best but that means super high on the capeshit grading scale. First half was too long and a bit dry. Then in the second half the scenes last way too fucking long and characters are trying way too hard to be sarcastic. The first movie had a bit better balance of sarcastic quips. Now every fucking character is popping family guy semantic jokes and reddit-tier banter. Gets so fucking annoying that you kinda tune out the dialogue.

Poo-looers beat the chinks to the punch.

Your jaded/10
The movie was pure KINO. Anyone who watches it will know that. Just admit itā€¦gotg is the one modern case of capeshit done right in the past 5 years. This is the one capeshit franchise that deserves to live.

Pleb detected. If it soothes your fragile mind, the last 25+ minutes was decent but getting there wasn't worth it. This movie didn't need to be 2 1/4 hours long. 1.5 hours would have just been fine. The development that takes place takes place almost inexplicably and what was built up and hinted at seems almost out of nowhere as the development that just happens. There's so many scenes that have their contexts and information repeated that are just there to pad out the time. Take your misuse of the kino label in all caps and shove it next to where disney embedded itself deep.

HOW DID THEY ALLOW THIS TO HAPPEN?

Stallone is in it? Or are you getting him confused with Kurt Russell?

I need Rocket to hate fuck my ass until it's bloody.

Stallone and Hasselhoff make appearances. Stallone plays a character that shows up for a few scenes as a Captain of a Ravagers crew, but isn't integral to the plot.

Stalone's character was pretty necessary for Yondu and the climax. His actions put Yondu in a desperate position that led to his mutiny, which then led to Yondu joining the Guardians of the Galaxy. I do agree that he wasn't integral to the overall plot, but he did serve his purpose.

>boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel17a.htm

Total Lifetime Grosses
Domestic: $145,049,000 33.9%
+ Foreign: $282,600,000 66.1%
= Worldwide: $427,649,000

Production Budget: $200 million

It looks like the movie has already made back its budget. That more or less guarantees a volume 3 in some years.

Also, the new Spiderman movie did look pretty good. Keaton looked good as the vulture and it looks like the multicultural cast was played to a minimum. I'm still a bit worried, because Amy Pascal is involved. I'm hoping someone is blocking her influence as much as possible.

As long as they keep Gunn as the writer/director, I'm completely okay with this.

Liked the movie. Might not watch it again, the first one was a lot more fun but it's up there with Dr. Strange as notable gems in the hot mess that is the MCU.

A few things really bothered me though.

1). Rocket's subplot was weak and largely unnecessary. They were struggling to find shit for him to do, and since they chose to split them up like a Star Trek episode it stands out.

2). I hate what they are doing with Drax, making him into a big buffoon. Way too many bits relied on him doing that huge dumb laugh, and after the fourth time it was insufferable.

3). The movie overall didn't know how to switch gears from comedy to drama. There were a few scenes that were meant to be serious, but when I saw it the audience it was laughing. They injected jokes into everything, it ruined the flow of it for me. It's too jerky in that regard.

4). I didn't like the parts where they cut back to Earth or the other planets to show the destruction, I think it could have been done in a better way.

5). I fucking hate Baby Groot, when people talk about the movie being Reddit this is what I agree with. It's a cinematic forced meme. The joke was that Groot was already pretty clumsy and a lot of the bits would have had the same comedy.

vol. 3 was announced before the movie even hit theaters.
studios are starting to care (a very small amount) less about turning a profit and putting out decent films. that, or kevin feige is just autistic enough to know what sucks and what doesn't.

>comicbook.com/marvel/2017/05/07/guardians-of-the-galaxy-vol-2-adam-warlock-avengers-infinity-war/

>io9.gizmodo.com/kevin-feige-thinks-that-eventually-marvel-tv-and-movie-1794974004

It looks like they've had GotG planned out for a very long time. It also looks like Feige isn't playing loose with the film canon.

This is like what people were saying about Winter Soldier, I still don't know what the hell they were talking about

It's trash though, get off my board you faggots.

Ugh, you really is a faggot.

They have been in every fucking movie, commercial and on the radio for the last decades or so. I'm out of tune with today's pop-culture but fuck, even i can't avoid hearing these songs from time to time.

I fucking hate the perpetual reminder of how fucking faggy this society and it's men have turn into. The former children-entertainment that was superheroes, that is now being treated like it's some very deep and dark adult-themed stories is a representation of the things i hate.

So faggot, go kill yourself, i would rather have a thousand Steven Seagal-movies on the big screen then yet another shitty comic-book adaptiation. I'm sick of it.

FYI, his character and the other Ravagers introduced were the original Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics.

To be honest, after I posted that, I went and looked at the soundtrack lists and realized that some of that shit was pretty damned common. A lot of it isn't and some of it only came back into circulation and use because of these movies.

u mad kiddo?

???

>a moon killing chewbacca is stupid though guizes!!!

As did I user.

I prefer the original. That opening sequence with Pratt dancing in the ruins is still top notch.

me too

He's right though.

Sadly that has been the case with garbage like superman since forever.

The more "serious" batman movies also meant that capeshit entered the normal.