Unity 8

Shit, Unity 8 is looking really good. When it comes out, will it be the ultimate non-autistic DE?
Currently I'm running KDE on my desktop and GNOME on my laptop... when Unity 8 hits, I may be forced to switch to it. No more autistic GTK bullshit, no more buggy and underfunded KDE stagnation.

youtube.com/watch?v=DxH4n3zgNnQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Z54dIL1us_c

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44&t=18m30s
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics
insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Since non-autistic is code for "everything I don't like that might otherwise qualify", yes.

Instead you'll get buggy and underfunded Canonical stagnation.

Dude, you do realize this thing, alongside Mir and Snappy, were supposed to come out with 14.04 as mostly finished products? They're in beta right now and don't even have half of the features they should have; right?

It might be another 2 years until it can be considered stable, just like 2011 Unity.

But yes, it does look nice.

I remember when people said that Wayland would be the default by 2012...

I've never had a problem with Unity, it's a pretty good DE especially if you're new to GNU/Linux. I've moved on from Ubuntu though so I haven't used it in a while and Mir is DOA. They should just merge what they can into Wayland and call it day.

KDE has a LOT of weird little bugs that I think Canonical would have caught. And while I really like Plasma 5, it doesn't even have a proper overview mode. Even Windows 10 has an overview these days.

Yeah, it's bullshit that Canonical didn't cooperate on Wayland and Flatpak, but at the end of the day, if they make Mir work, then it's a moot issue from the user perspective.

IDK what timeframe they're looking at. If they take two years, I think KDE will catch up on most things by then.

Wayland is the king of Linux vaporware, user, just give it up. Honestly I don't grieve for it because muh network transparency.

X.org isn't network transparent, not in the way it was in the 80s. If you do use it, you're just using the world's shittiest version of VNC.

I've been running it for a year, it works fine.
Still waiting for XWayland pointer locking (first person shooters, for example), but otherwise everything else works.

Tfw I wanna use a different distro but I actually really like Unity and find other DEs odd now.
kill me

Am I supposed to like you now?

wat. it's the default in Fedora now. and you can also use it in sway I guess.

I think Arch has Unity. Probably not as well-integrated though.

I can't deal with anything that isn't xfce now since bloated retarded shit menus and tedious useless "look good" features make me want to slit my wrists. unity is like a slightly more efficient gnome 3 that looks pretty but gets old after a week of use.

you're a genius user

Do X apps written in the 80s not work on it any more?

redhat makes windows plus pack, aka systemd

you have down syndrom

Great, it's flat now.
This is severely disapointing

faggot

They do, compatibility has been preserved , there's a compositor in your setup and it's just going to be the world's shittiest version of VNC.
So, no, modern X.org is not network transparent.

There's nothing stopping it from being "network transparent" i.e. implementing a VNC or RDP server. It'd be better than what X.org does right now.

Fucking this.

I don't get the unity hate, it's literally the one only good thing about ubuntu

the developers are reprehensible fuckers for not making it more portable

I don't think portability is that much of a big deal. It's in the AUR

If you've ever tried using unity under arch you'd take that back. It used to sort of work, but hardly, and broke a lot, but over time it doesn't work at all.

If something is in the AUR that means that, at minimum, you can get it half-working on Arch with a lot of fiddling. Unity is not properly portable. If it was you would expect it to be properly packaged in distros that are not Ubuntu.

install KaOS KDE/Kwayland

Why is it necessary to have a tilted view of your windows like that? It looks computationally expensive but I don't know why I'd ever need it that way.

The scare quotes mean you know VNC crap isn't network transparency, so why do you even bring it up?

And here we have THE freedesktop.org faggot tactic #1: "hurr durr if you don't like our so-called improvement, you must love the old thing and defend all of its flaws"
I know X11 is bad, that doesn't mean throwing out a great feature in your "improvement" is in any way acceptable.

Hate unity, but that will probably end up being a VERY good decision.

FUCKING TURBO KOOLKIDS GNEWB GET OUT

Every DE should be simple, fast, be non bloated!

Huh, I guess I just hallucinate the contents of my screen on a daily basis then.

Fuck off back to Holla Forums, retard.

Nah, you're just a fucking moron who doesn't know what network transparency means
youtube.com/watch?v=RIctzAQOe44&t=18m30s

Oh, and since you're obviously highly educated, do feel free to watch till the end of the video where the X.org developer explains to you that the absolute worst case scenario in X.org is remoting and anything would be better.

Try not to shit yourself, and how about you fuck off back to Holla Forums instead?

I seriously do not understand how not everyone is using tiling windows managers.

because sometimes I enjoy just using my mouse.

I personally feel like the mouse just makes me less productive. I guess it is fine for casual internet browsing, but for any serious work, I am a lot faster never getting my hands of the keyboard

dwm allows you to use the mouse as well.

it's a compromise between alt+tab and GNOME-style overview. it's also consistent with cards/covers from phones and ipods. it gives you a bit more visual information to work with. it's also not computationally expensive if you have a GPU made in the past 10 years.

in terms of power consumption, it is expensive.

it consumes much less power than scrolling in a web browser, or god forbid running a page full of JS. and it's an effect for switching windows and desktops, so you don't do it the majority of the time.

anyone know what kind of (manga) reader he's using? looks great and i don't like my okular

A comparison to the most bloated application on most computers isn't exactly a strong point.

mcomix

my reason for not using a tiling window manager: tmux
most of the time, the only windows I need / want to be tiled are terminal based anyway. In the rare instance I want something else to be tiled, pretty much every WM has some sort of pseudo tiling capabilities. Hell, even windows has some (very rudimentary) tiling capabilities since win7

Looks shit and garbage. Do not want.

Guys I got a new 4k touchscreen All-In-One computer that should arrive at my doorstep any time today now, when will linux not be a piece of shit with screen-tearing and other issues so I can use it on my new All-In-One without compromises?

You must have difficulty getting hard due to the desensitization from constant exposure to hardcore fucking. Was that part of your plan?

Isn't that pretty much exclusive to the proprietary Nvidia drivers nowadays?

If you're lucky with the hardware you chose it'll work perfectly without fiddling. Just plug and pray.

It looks okay but I'm pretty sure this is fake. Note the red bar at the bottom, and the icon in the bottom left that looks suspiciously like YouTube's play/pause button

Quantity Item Number Description1 210-AKEN XPS 77601 340-AGUD Safety/Environment and Regulatory Guide (English/French)1 340-AJPV TPM Enabled1 370-ACSE 16GB DDR4-2400MHz; up to 32GB (additional memory sold separately)1 400-ANKY 512GB PCIe x4 SSD (2 Internal HDD Expansion Bays)1 470-AAKG US 125V Power Cord1 490-BDMI AMD R9 M470X 4GB GDDR51 555-BDFR Dell Wireless 3165 802.11AC Wi-Fi + BT 4.0 Wireless Card1 555-BDIZ 3165 Wireless Driver1 580-AFOK Dell Wireless Keyboard and Mouse-KM7171 619-AHCR Windows 10 Pro (64bit) English1 658-BBRB Waves Maxx Audio1 801-2013 Dell Limited Hardware Warranty Initial Year1 801-2060 Onsite/In-Home Service After Remote Diagnosis, 1 Year1 321-BCJD 27-inch UltraSharp(TM) 4K Ultra HD (3840x2160) touch display1 332-1530 Dell.com Order1 332-1530 Dell.com Order1 338-BKUL 6th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)1 340-ACQQ No Option Included1 340-BJUT Placemat1 340-BKCY Shipping Material1 389-BHGE Intel Core i7 Processor Label1 389-BKKG Energy Star Label1 389-BRLC Regulatory Label1 525-0036 McAfee Live Safe XPS 12 Month Subscription1 575-BBKP 27" 4K UHD Display with Touch and Articulating Stand1 631-ABGZ Systems Management SW1 658-BCCO McAfee 30day Trial1 658-BCSB Microsoft(R) Office 30 Days Trial1 658-BCUJ Additional Software1 998-CGVS Fixed Hardware Configuration1 600-0042 Ontario $1.40, Environmental Handling Fee for Desktop Computers1 600-0094 Ontario $12.25, Environmental Handling Fee for All In One Computers

This is what I have.

Okular has support for a bunch of other formats via plugins, including cbz.

stop right there.
Install Arch and try this wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/intel_graphics

Got my 2009 laptop working at smooth without having to turn vsync on.
Turn that off
What do they mean here?

it's a comparison to the shit that 99% of anons are doing on their laptops.

Just install Fedora or Ubuntu, you won't get screen tearing, and the touch screen will be fully functional.

No guarantees if you try to run proprietary Nvidia drivers though.

Nvidia drivers are terrible and the cards are unstable. I am looking forward to the day Vega comes out.

Linux always works well with old computers though.

I always have the latest shit. I had a 2016 computer and now I've got something new for 2017. Linux rarely works properly with the latest shit.

Linux Mint is basically Ubuntu and I always had screen-tearing for the entire year I had kept using that laptop. It had a Nvidia GTX 980M graphics card btw. I still have my 24 inch 4k monitor and if anyone wants it I'll sell it, I also have an arm for it.

My new graphics card is a AMD R9 M470X 4GB GDDR5 does it even work with Linux?

Unity and Cinnamon use different compositors, so maybe Unity wouldn't give you tearing.

You can't make this shit up.

yes, use the radeonsi driver. I doubt it is stable with amdgpu. it should be totally smooth, but have poor 3d performance.

Because Cinnamon is shit you retard.

Agreed. second pic in post related ( ).

How the fuck do I get another DE exactly like I have Cinnamon though with the bar on top? Pic very much related.

I don't want to use Unity if it means some stupid ass side-bar.

no matter what you use there's going to be a stupid ass between the chair and the keyboard

that looks way fucking worse than the current unity version

You can use mouse in i3. I know, it's hard to believe but it's true!

Stop being such a fucking consumer user.

The most disgusting thing in the whole video.

heh, you think I sit on a chair? I sit on a chess and sometimes a red ball like you find in gyms. u mad normie?

Listen you normie, I sell my older rig and get a lot of the money back, and keep up-to-date with the latest in techonological autism. I am funding the advance of technology and most important of all is simply this: the computer is the most valuable thing in my life. I don't care about a car, I don't care that about socialization, I don't care about anything else. As long as I have a top-tier computer I'm happy. If the internet died and computers stopped working because of an EMP attack I'd commit suicide after getting over the initial shock and realizing it's all never going to come back. I'd just sit alone in my house, staring at the blank screen, waiting and waiting for it come back on... to hear news the power is coming back and the internet will be a thing again. Then I'd realize it's all over... and I'd hang. My life is nothing without computers.

Btw, other than computers, I consume fuck all. Everything else I have is stuff I get free.

>yet another DE without pipe menu support
How in the fuck is this still acceptable to people? It's 2017 already!

fine control is not available in i3. not everything is the same ratio, images are always fucking letterboxed and at that point it would just be easier to deal with floating managers instead of turning i3 into a floating manager to have the same fucking control. tiling managers are for people with thumbnail resolution

I just want Xfce with pipe menu support. Openbox gets the job done but sometimes I'd appreciate more features. Unfortunately you have to trade away the killer feature of Openbox to get them because nobody else realizes what a great idea it is.

maybe because nobody who is a fan of pipes ever explains what is so great about it. it just looks like a shitty alternative start menu except to use it you have to minimize your fullscreen applications

Piping lets you customize menus in ridiculous amounts of ways by allowing the contents of a menu to change dynamically. But most window managers have fuckall for menu customization as it is. In Openbox you can pop up multiple menus through any mouse or key combination, whether the desktop or a panel is visible or not, and you can put inside those menus just about anything you can imagine. It's so baffling to me how no other window managers seem to have taken up the idea. Even Fluxbox and Blackbox don't have menu piping.

so what you're saying is that since browsers are already resource hungry it doesn't matter that DEs are also resource hungry on top off browsers?
if anything DEs need to be small precisely because the rest of the shit is bloated enough as it is

You can resize windows in i3 with the same ease as in any sensible DE: modifier + rightclick-drag. This is easier than aiming for the corner or border pixels that most people are using. The latter is also available in i3 anyway.

Openbox has a XML config file too. If you want a good stacking WM, I suggest cwm.

That is a very good point. On the other hand WMs tend to be very minimal in terms of both resources and screen space which is crucial on small laptops.

You know what would be nice? A DE that has every feature you could ever ask for in a DE and you can just turn it on/off. Want pipe menus? You can turn that shit on. What to position the bar on the top, bottom, left, or right of the screen or add additional bars? You can do that. Just customize my shit fams.

It can be called SystemDE.

kek

but every single distro supports altdragging, even windows with the program altdrag. it just takes longer in i3 because you have to unlock windows to even be able to do this shit other wm can do even more efficiently

why? just use one of the search tools or dmenu or something.

It is flat indeed. What did you expect?
Gnome 3: designed by faggots.
Unity 8: redesigned by pedos.

It is flat indeed. What did you expect?
Gnome 3: designed by faggots.
Unity 8: redesigned by pedos.

that looks pretty convenient, but it doesn't make sense for tiling wms for instance, and it clashes with using right click as a context menu. plus it's ugly as shit.

Maybe someone should making a standalone piping program that does it in a shade or a window.

Take your dancing goalposts and language-redefining, and fuck off back to something awful.

I honestly didnt like this new unity release, Im using unity 7 right now and will keep using it until gnome gets to a point that it actually looks decent.
Ive tried dash to dock, dash to panel, a bunch of themes but nothing beats the functionality of Unity.
I have a quad core processor and 8GB of ram why the fuck do you think I care about unity taking 1.2-1.6GB of RAM?

lmao, did you get told so hard that you hit your desk in frustration?

You almost had it, user, but you had to fuck up right there.

Unity doesn't take that much RAM at all.

I'm sorry, I meant Ubuntu under unity (and it's subprocesses, daemos) + compiz.

What was wrong with Gnome Classic?

It was a desktop environment and not a touchscreen environment so it was out of scope of Gnome3 goals.

blegh

No one wants to touch Gnome3 on any screen. Gnome3 is an environmental hazard.

KDE all the way until the end

The fuck is canonical doing with all the money?

Pipe menus don't really have anything to do with the fact that some people seem to think you have to minimize fullscreen applications to use the menu. BTW you don't, just configure openbox to have maximized fullscreen windows leave a 1px margin on the left or bottom and now you have an "infinite edge" to throw your mouse over to and bring up the menu.

Looks like they're giving up:

insights.ubuntu.com/2017/04/05/growing-ubuntu-for-cloud-and-iot-rather-than-phone-and-convergence/

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/04/ubuntu-unity-is-dead-desktop-will-switch-back-to-gnome-next-year/

HAHHAHAHAHA