/leftytg/ General

Rolled 17 (1d20)Since the 40k thread is on its deathbed and I found enough people who were interested on the topic I've decided its a good time to make a table for general leftist discussion of tabletop.

Use this thread to discuss tabletop related stuff like lore, tips, rules etc. and organize quests and sessions. All discussion allowed as long as you remember to have fun.

I'm still working on making the 40k quest a reality so if the people interested in that sort of thing are still around don't worry, its still coming.

Rolling for charisma check, don't fail me now dice gods

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Zhq-aNlQJuo
the-ninth-age.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

this needs to stop exclamation mark

Can we just permaban the Christian poster? He's fucking annoying.

I always thought it would be cool to make a resource management style board game that encouraged communist rather than competitive play to win, but that this isn't immediately obvious so players get knocked out and nobody can win unless they work together.

Well it would subvert expectations. Why would it not be fun? There is no reason that only competition is fun.

Because conflict is what makes a game fun.

No, that's a common misconception. But there are actually lots of games people play without competition all the time; some obvious examples are playing with Lego, Minecraft, anything involving cooperation and creativity. Challenge is what we play games for; if the environment and game systems provide that, we don't need other players to. How else could single player games work?

I remember when my right wing friends all decided to enact maoism in D&D and ended up killing each other over a potion. I'm not sure if they entirely missed the point of mao or did a flawless rendition of the cultural revolution.

I always find it interesting that in D&D i almost always prefer true neutral politically apathetic characters or some strain of lawful taken to an extreme degree. We should discuss alignment and associate leftist ideologies with each alignment, because this will be a great way to bring Holla Forums together and do something everyone will agree on without arguments.

Something like this?

I want to get into wargaming but I'm not much of a history buff to enjoy historical wragames and fantasy wargames that are not warhammer are too much about fluff or too obscure to find people whom to play with.

Good luck.

Tomb of Horrors was first beaten by a Fighter, not because he knew the dungeon, but because he knew the man. He predicted that sending hordes of mooks to die for him and never looking at or touching anything would leave him protected against gygaxe's wiles, then when he got to the treasure pile at the end he scooped up an armful and ran away before the demilich had a chance to do anything. Tomb of Horrors was about competition between human beings and Gary Gygax, who was some kind of tall dwarf i believe.

I dunno i play Malifaux. Unfortunately there's no commies in it since its set a little bit too early for that, but Mei Feng and her rail workers have a vaguely lefty vibe and her avatar form is called "The Proletarian". It has plenty of players near me and I'm in Australia, I imagine for americans and shit it can't be too hard to find a store that has players.

Gygax did it too. Everyone did it back then.
Fuck you Robilar was great flying robot horse should be a class feature.

metagaming is shit for shitty players that love eating shit

Why post a picture of a man who did it, all the fucking time then?
This man once took away robilar's flying horse on the basis that "he kept running away from villains with the loot".

Gary Gygax repeatedly fucked with his players because they weren't playing like he wanted them to, he was a massive metagamer!

Because of banter you kinder

YOU DONT GET TO USE THAT WORD
THAT'S OUR WORD
We borrowed it!

So, when you play Co-Op HoI4, or any PnPRPG, you have conflinct and not a strugle against the common enemy.

In fact, I had the worst times of my gaming life when playing Civ 4 with friends, and not going for cooperation, but a cold war, where we are all against the AI, yet everyone serves hisown interest.

Coflict makes the game fun, only if you are a capitalist that need victory to justify his existence.

Alingments are the worst idea ever. Play GURPS.

WTF are you guise on?

For those who don't know about these setting alignments…

Noble vs. Grim is about how much characters' actions can impact the world.
Bright vs. Dark is about how nice the world is to live in.

So a Nobledark world is fucked up but the heroes can actually do something about it (sounds like a good fit for leftist games), Grimbright is characterized by a pretty nice world but everything sticks to the status quo (like sitcoms), Grimdark is hopeless shaggy dog stories (like a Coen Bros. movie), and Noblebright is where things are pretty good and the heroes can make it better or make a name for themselves.

Or it's the ultra faggy version where it's literally just Noble/Grim is about the morality of the protagonists and Bright/Dark is about the morality of the setting.

No, D&D is almost entirely decent ideas implemented poorly.

Fantasy Craft is a good overhaul of 3.X D&D, and one of the things it gets really right is alignments. Instead of the 3x3 grid you can have your alignment be whatever you want, and it comes with the following: a ritual weapon, paths an aligned character can walk to get their divine power, associated skills that plug into the divine classes, an avatar that high-level characters can summon, and a list of opposed alignments (for damage and magic purposes). Fluff is left up to the people running the game, so Fantasy Craft alignments can be anything from your star sign to the deity you worship to a philosophical doctrine, or a combination of more than one. The GM is supposed to come up with pre-set alignments for the setting, but there's nothing stopping players from inventing their own special snowflake alignments.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

This is what happens when you play D&D.

Fuck you Alignments are a great idea, its fun to pretend there's some kind of objective morality that guides our lives instead of the real world where no kind of universal moral rule is possible.

Also the GURPS reccomenders are nazis picture isn't in my folder otherwise I'd use it right now.

I dunno. I found some mushroom-looking things in a dungeon and ate them, and while they didn't kill me I think I might be seeing things because all the elves and orcs are gone and I have to stand in front of a counter in order to get the GP to survive because for some reason it's perfectly okay to WRESTLE dangerous wildlife but they second you try to murder them with a sword it's suddenly A GRAND INQUISITION all up in my asshole.

when you want to roleplay why not go on Holla Forums and be a lvl 40 jewish warlock?

Ok. So, noble bright is shit, cause it's too good to be true. And pure capitalist dream of the individual making the world better and so on.

Noble neutral… well actually Mass effect is pretty Grim in the end… so… neutral .. .. neutral was always shit term IMO.

Noble dark is too heroic. It has nothing to do with Historical Materlialism. Also too individualistic.

Neutral bright.. .. is the Brave New World dystopia. Great place to live in! Not that great to live in when you think about it…

Neutral Dark looks fine to me.

Why is mirror's edge a nice place? … also .. thias is why neutral is shit. Star Trek might as well be Grim. They change stuff… .. but not realy…

And Grim Dark is only good if you wanna go FullNihilism. Like Shadowrun. Also good setting to play the prol.
Here. Have a Grim Dark soviet movie. youtube.com/watch?v=Zhq-aNlQJuo
Sure, they help change the world.. .. but does it realy matter in the end?

ok….

Good idea! Pitty I'd get banned ASAP.

Stay triggered Absurdo

What? I just said there isn't such a thing, which is why its great fantasy roleplaying gives us the opportunity to play them. Did you even read my post or did your brain turn off at fuck you?

What do presets have to do with anything? Also gurps has tons of presets, there are entire massive splats filled with presets, its the only reason people pick gurps over hero. That and hero sucks, so two reasons. Regardless reccomending gurps is like recommending citizen kane, it has in fact aged and its stunning camerawork will not save its shoddy characterization and plot, most people will be bored unless they are in front of others who they feel they must impress, in which case they will have lots of fun experimenting with new "im totally interested" faces.

GURPS player

Because that pic is based on the "Noble = good protags, grim = bad protags, bright = good world, dark = bad world" version, which is far less interesting.

Oh right, so his brainpower was dedicated to statting up a single character or NPC, man it must be hard working a full time job and also finding a way to get money to buy more gurps splats.

How was the world of mirrors edge a bright world then?
It was basically the real world with more snipers, personally i don't think more snipers is a good thing.

It was a highly developed city with a lot of technology. There's not much explained about what's happening in those games, but the placement on that pic is due to the protagonist supposedly being part of some terrorist group fighting against the establishment that keeps the nice city running.

The city was full of abandoned buildings and had just undergone a series of riots after city protection force opened fire on peaceful protesters, everyone lived seriously fucked up lives where the government was like "we goin' 1985 up in this place because we are just one better".

The Runners aren't terrorists, they literally only exist to pass messages between people without the government monitoring it. The only reason you end up fighting cops is your sister gets kidnapped and you decide to move from snail mail delivery girl to rambo.

Literally the only plot elements the game makes obvious are "the cops shot like a thousand people last year" and "the cops also shot the mayor".

I CAST DETECT CLASSIST EXPLOITATION!!

You can't really ban people. I was banned here once for 7 days. A cookie deletion and a modem reboot later, and I was back at posting.

This niggah is my comrade. A single system. United. For everything and everyone.

Niggah, do you even?

Speaking of GURPS. Rojava campaign, anyone? A mix of /k/ with Holla Forums and the fun kind of chan autism?

How do I into GURP? :(

Is this a serious question?

Yes.

What are some good meterials for getting into GURP for someone who's a total scrub?

Some people would suggest you to start GURPS Lite, since it's a simplified version of the system, but I disagree, since it won't include a shitton of things an when you move on to more complex games, you will basically have to relearn everything you supposedly knew.

I suggest you to just read both volumes of the Basic Set. It will be much better as a startup. And, of course, play. If you want, you can shoot me an email at [email protected]/* */

Hmmmm, okay.
I'll see if I can find some material and then maybe write you.
Thanks comr8

I like Warhammer fantasy much more than 40k and hate how GW killed it.

Do you guys think that Warhammer fantasy will end up returning? or are people just going to keep moving onto other games such as kings of war?

Seriously though. Shoot me an email. I want to start a /k/ campaign but am tired of the Holla Forums brand that comes along.

GW is dying.
The end is near.
Take fantasy and make it whatever you want.

Also, seeing how I got all ya niggas talking about GURPS, and I was just joking around.. .. IS GREAT! … I don't even play PnP . . … cause I'm all alone…

I made myself sad.

Monopoly in reverse?

The word you're trying to think of is "challenge". In a game, that means success and/or failure state(s).

If the vidya are any indication, nuhammer is the 4e of GWS. Hopefully WHFB will escape mostly unscathed like D&D did, rather than ending up like WoD with the retcon vidya dying in the womb and the shattered remains of the tabletop in the hands of Tumblr.

4e (aside from a seriously shitty early set of monster manuals) was an interesting new game that tried to improve the system by changing it dramatically, it as a system was not similar to previous systems. Age of Sigmar is like 5e, not 4e. It's a watered down version of older editions designed exclusively for casuals and with barely any content.

I'd much rather see a 4e style "reinvention" of warhammer with its own merits and flaws than "what if we removed half the rulebook and simplified everything then squatted half the lines?". Even at its shittiest, 4e was at least TRYING to be something new.

How are Lego and Minecraft not games? How do you define a game?

4e was a cool tactical wargame (seriously, an accurate, turn-based PvP computer game would be pretty awesome), but it mixed with roleplay horribly, since the combat stripped away D&D's traditional veneer of simulationism and put the players partly in the DM role with verisimilitude-breaking "fate point" freeform storygame cancer. 5e is watered down, but at least it's actually D&D, and actually an RPG.

The most common definition of "game" is a set of rules for play with success and/or failure states. Minecraft to a lesser extent, and Legos to a much greater one, are toys (playthings), not games, since they lack rules. Rules can be added to toys, but in that case, you aren't "playing Minecraft/Lego", but using those toys to play the ruleset you invented.

Bullshit, 4e's lesser simulationism did not make it less suitable for roleplaying in any sense. I agree those elements were bad, but there are a large number of roleplaying games were those are prized elements because they are said to ENCOURAGE roleplaying, freeform storygame cancer is what shit like FATE is entirely made out of. Saying its "not an RPG" is ridiculous.

5e took a product you've already had for 20 years, stripped out half the rules and said "look, we've gone back to basics!" like it meant anything. It was an experiment in anti-design and doing as little work as possible. Also lets not pretend 5e's out of combat is any better, almost nothing in that area has any rules whatsoever and skills are just "roll stat" or "roll stat + proficiency" so you are either trash at something or brilliant at it with no inbetween and DMs are basically encouraged to make up DCs on the fly without consistency.

ugh

I'm trying to dump some manuals but shitwheel's hotsite keeps rejecting them

I'm not saying 4e is great I'm shitting on 5e.
Saying 5e is better than 4e is like when people (unruhe i guess, not really multiple people) say "cuba is a horrible failure" then hold up the DPRK as an example of success.

Besides, edition wars are just natural for people surrounded by sectarianism.

Didn't he wash his hands of the site and fob it off to CopyPaste?

look up The 9th Age. It's !not warhammer fantasy battles done by fans. Seems really solid and has a decently sized playerbase (although not necessarily near you).
the-ninth-age.com/

It has all the warhammer fantasy factions (although renamed) and you can get the rule pdf's on their website.

Play online, comr8

I'm pretty sure the Kolat would be Holla Forums-approved.

Where? And, can we make leftypol groups or something?

Roll20 is the best at it, but I suggest avoiding their community as much as possible. Is full of your retarded, autistic idpol SJW. If you wanna, shoot me an email at [email protected]/* */

Ι-Ι'm working every night. … I don't have time … .. I'll be free in october… .. the revolution has to wait… …

I think something like a channel with leftypolers playing TT and making the creation of self theory fun for the people, could work though

Maybe set up an IRC?

Could be a start…

fucking nerds

Wew lad, you sure showed us.

Friendly reminder

Et tu Marx Poster?

I'm not Marxposter tho, I'm a completely separate person. I'm only namefagging and using tripcode to organize the threads better.

Really wish people would stop associating me with him just because we use the same flag.

So… we makin a RP IRC or what?

Is the bunkerchan one not enough?

I made LeftyTG on Rizon but nothing permanent.

I wanna GM a tabletop game weekly, 3.5 or Pathfinder preferably. It would have a focus on roleplaying and political stuff, obviously. Anyone on this board interested in such a game?

Seriously though, even if you are intelligentsia and we have to gulag you after the revolution, I'd buy that for a dorrar, if the times are ok with my sleeping/work patterns.

senpai yui, can I play?

Actually, I'd like to try running something in either Risus or OVA at some point in time. but I need to get my RPing chops back in action.

3.PF is mediocre, but it's the group who mostly contributes to the amount of fun had. And when we divide the already small /tg/ community by the also tiny not-terminally-offended-leftist community, being picky with systems is a surefire way to put the whole thing to a halt.

Oh, so if YUI does the game, EVERYONE wants in!

STOP THIS PERSONALITY CULT NOW!

I just want a leftist run game no matter who gms, Yui is the first I saw, aside from marxflag who wants to do a quest thread

Joking, comrade!

Yui still gets purged though

I've never run Shadowrun or GURPs or been in a game of either, so I would be unfit to run such campaigns. I don't particularly like 3.5 or Pathfinder either, but most people here wouldn't be too willing to play something a bit out there like Savage Worlds or Maid the RPG.

Yeah, of course! What times are you available for and how much RPG experience do you have?

Since we're in convo right now, I've seen you post quite a few times before calling Yui "intelligentsia" and rebel, I believe, "nomenclature". Care to tell me what you mean, or where I could find out?

Well, you can't call them both inteligentsia!

I mean, I could call them intelectuals, but where is the fun in that?

It's about reading too much and knowing - staying too much on theory.
Just memeing.

I've played a handful of adventures over the last few years, but I'm well read. I've undoubtedly spent more time reading rulebooks and splats from dozens of systems, bought a few, pirated many, played next to nil. lurked enough /tg/ to know how to not be a shit at the gaming table (in person or otherwise).

last time i played was late last year, with some alright fellows, two I think from /tg/. lost interest when I realized that a plotless game wasn't going to keep my attention enough to wake me up at 5:30, and bowed out.

As for times, I live on the west coast (canada), pretty flexible right now, but I'll be taking a Bio 12 summer course in a few weeks time, so that will somewhat change.

I'd be totally up for a game in a system i haven't played like Maid RPG, we could base the setting off pic related.

I think there's a lot of systems that could be very fun to play with leftypol, especially if it isn't taken too seriously. I'm not those other guys but i am an Australian available at… very strange times so consider it "everything but (australian) sundays" and i have experience with GURPS, Shadowrun, Dark Heresy, 3.5, Pathfinder, Call of Cthulhu and a bunch of other systems.

Are you planning to set up a link or email we can contact for the game?

So, long shot, but does anyone else play Infinity here though?

I'd also like to play. I've plenty of RPG experience. What timezones are you guys in?

Well, I got very little XP.. but I can learn… and I'm in UTC +2, though I'm working every night and sleeping midday…

Anyway, I think this just might work, even without me.

Just do it and post videos. :)

E-mail me from this address. I'm available in mornings/evenings in CST.

I always just get that email protection thing. Cloudflare tells me to have javascript enabled but i already do.

install JS switch addon

Oh, you mean UTC -6!

Scroll over the tripcode

I got it working but earlier it was just giving me some kind of email protection gibberish when i moused over.

bump

Yo Yui. Is the game still happening? I emailed you and got no response.

is there a place where i can play these games online ?

What timezone are you on, user?

+3 GTM

GMT*
kek

Well, I'm +2 .. . wait.. WTF are you doing at this time???

We are 2. We can become more.
All that remains is to find a GM. … …

We will never have a Lenin to lead us to revolutionary RPGing…

living in feudal arabia

i never in my life played TandB rpgs ever i will just sit and watch my comrades playing

;_; one day another revolutionary will

Yes, well, am working night shift.. .. What are YOU doing up this late?

I have never played either. Always just wanted to. Know that feel.

Earlier editions used X/tends toward Y for alignment to represent characters' and NPCs internal conflicts. Somebody came up with a 5x5 chart to repalce the 3x3 to represent the difference between a school bully and Shitler, or the difference between somebody 2kewl4rules and somebody as likely to jump off a bridge as cross it. I'd also emphasize that Law-Chaos is more about how you run your life rather than what you think of the rule of law. Plenty of people are organized, orderly and see nothing wrong with breaking somebody else's rules when it suits them. That and/or allegiance is what I'd use if I ever found a group and convinced them to use my autistic homebrew variation of DnD 3.5.

Bump

Who is judas in this picture? One one of these fellows betrayed communism?

Gorby

Gorbachev.

City of Ember was a pretty good book.

this

NO

I really want to play something. I've never played an RPG before.

Timezone?

GMT -5