Moana Thread

Movies out. Anyone seen it yet? By the way, she's really cute.

Soulless generic disney movies aren't my style.

Not really interested, gonna late for a rip.

Rapunzel is still top waifu

They're Hawaiian.

The fact that The Rock is the most talked about thing for this movie shows how much faith they put in Moana as a character.

pick one

This user hit it dead center. Disney "characters" are bland cardboard cutouts made only for the purpose of selling kids tons of crap.

Only justifiable reason to go watch it.

Well she's a nigger but idk. She's got a nice ass. Too bad about the manish arms and shitty body.

On one hand it seems like it could be good, but I have to agree with
However, maybe they're overselling on Dwohnson's character being the "silly funny comic relief" so people aren't freaked out by all the unfamiliar mysticism in this movie from polynesian characters. After all, it looks like it's supposed to be a love-letter to those kind of groups' cultures, but theres very little about it in the preview aside from their "super-powers."

They're still niggers.

Pleb

no?

God damn thats hot.

I haven't seen it though the girl who does the voice of Moana is from my home state so there's that.

Jesus oh mighty those hips are HUUUUGE

Hawaiians are too mellow to be niggers you fucking morons.

fuck off nigger lover

I hope you don't live near beaches. The sight of all those white people becoming "niggers" probably blows your goddamned mind.

YEAH THAT HAPPENS TO ME LIKE EVERY TIME MAN

The Rock just has so much charisma that he overshadows everyone else. That shit happens with almost everything he is in.

Thank God for the Benes Brothers and their fellow Brazilian shitlords.

Can you smell what he's cooking?

Go away to Tumblr.

Let's just get this outta the way:
You best know your role, jabroni, or I'll take you and the other roody-poos down that long avenue called Shutyourmouth, check you in to the Smack-a-down Hotel, turn that sumbitch sideways and stick em up your candyasses.

That's all of them, yes?

So wait has no one actually seen it yet? No one? Not one user to take it for the team?

You forgot his best one.

A nigger is still a nigger even if it's stranded in the ocean.

I'm busy user so I haven't seen it.

How can a man with a fanny pack have charisma?

What is with French cartoons and huge hips?

They got overrun by niggers.

Don't worry the muslims will soon have all French cartoons censored for being too lewd.

They're closer to Asians than niggers. Knowledge makes the man, user.

Wait you mean Polynesians or Middle Easterners?

Oh Polynesians sorry, i quoted the wrong guy like a moron.

Its okay thanks fam.

They're known to kick the shit out of tourists, so any "mellow" image you have of them is a fucking lie.

Except Asians don't have average two digit I.Q aren't easily addicted to drink and violence.

You're thinking of aboriginals, also ever heard of south east asians? you do appear to be wrong here, user.

Source for the I.Q as well please.

To be fair the ancestors of Polynesians were this group called Austronesians who supposedly came from Taiwan.

A someone who was born and raised in Hawaii. There is truth to this. Some of them are assholes and some are decent enough people. I guess if you want an idea about the social problems of modern Hawaiians you can watch the move Once were warriors. Granted that movie is about Maori's but I think the general themes can be applied to Hawaiians as well.

So, The Rock character have a romance with Moana? Because I'm pretty sure he's filling the role of the prince here.

I don't know I haven't seen the movie.

Confirmed for never having met an Asian.

Literally no one has on this board.

No one but me.

No. But, he makes fun of Moana for being a "princess" since she's a chief's daughter that brought an animal sidekick with her. Not really the chicken followed her onto the boat. In fact, he says something like "if you start singing, I'm gonna puke."

Other than a couple gags and holding/catching the heart, the chicken was kinda pointless. Moana herself was okay. She's like Judy, the plucky do-gooder that's a strong independent woman but not really. While not everyone loved her and Maui shat on her a couple times, things like Maui's tattoo guy and the ocean having her back and Gram Gram coming in to comfort her right after Maui lost a fight with Te Ka and left her made it feel like the plot was carrying her a little more than the other way around. Maybe it's because she's a mortal trying to work with demigods and monsters, but the plot did alot to level the playing field. Besides, half of the things she noticed could be seen by ANYONE.

LIKE THAT BIG FUCKING SPIRAL ON TE KA'S CHEST THAT LOOKED JUST LIKE THE ONE ON TA FITI.

The big theme behind the movie is identity and how while your background/others serve as a foundation, you get to shape it. And they hammered it in like you wouldn't believe. A good third of the conversations were about it. Figuring out that his identity is not tied to his fishhook made Maui regain control of his shape-shifting. When Moana gave Ta Fiti her heart back, she told her to remember who she is. There's this song that came up five times about where you belong, what your heart calls you to, that kind of stuff. Five.

Disney actually followed the trend of giving alot of important moments songs, and it was annoying as shit. Maybe it's because it felt more like a Dreamworks movie, but many of the songs took me out because they felt intrusive and inappropriate. It didn't help that the songs themselves weren't that great.

The one thing I really liked were the visuals.

The use of color was amazing, made it look like a painting, especially the use of lighting and scenes like realm of monsters and the part where Gram Gram shows Moana ships and manta rays. The prologue and the animations on Maui's tattoos and song looked great, too.

Maui was okay I guess. His arc was alright but he was kind of a scumbag.

the short was better tbh/10

Maui's a scumbag in most of the polynesian tales he's depicted in. Cool, but a scumbag, since he's often supposed to represent mankind.

That sounds promising

Oh well

Never thought that a civilization based on tropical islands could be so cynical.

And the funny thing is that line came up half-way in the movie. After she sang 3 songs.

And then he dies climbing into a giant woman's vagoo

Was that woman named Hina?

She's Polynesian what did you expect?

Based on the clips she sounds cute when flustered.

Moana: I failed.
Grandma: You need to believe in yourself.
Moana: Okay, I'll try again.

Was there any meaning to that scene beyond the obvious?

So it'd look better if it was traditionally animated, then?

I wanna fuck Moana.

kill yourself!

I heard they chose not to do that 2D 3D combination like they did with the paperman short because of the use of the waves in animation is this true?

Yes. Just google "moana concept art."

I think it's because they haven't perfected the technology. Even though it's been ~3 years, it's still too expensive and time consuming. I don't even know if they can use color yet.

I'd rather just watch Lilo and Stitch again then this. 2D or no.

*than

user, you fucking smartass, I love you.

Isn't the director a huehue?

You've obviously never met a Japanese business man user.

Alright! I made the sacrifice and saw the movie. It's not bad. It's okay. But that may just be me not having a lot of enjoyment with it. It's definitely better than Tangled or Frozen. The best thing about the movie is some of the songs. Some of them are really good. Cheesy but so full of energy and love. One of them being really cool and incorporating the Hawaiian language into it. That's cool. The visuals and lighting is really top notch. You can see individual grains of sand. This movie feels like it had a lot of love and effort put into it visually.

Now, with all that said, the story is kinda weak. I'm gonna spoil it because I don't think it's really worth seeing in theaters. Maui steals the heart of a goddess, gets attacked by an angry lava monster, loses the heart along with his hook, decades later Moana is chosen by the ocean to find Maui and go with him to put the heart back. It's pretty simple when you get down to it.

Now the problems start with the fact Maui did not need to be in the story at all beyond the beginning. He could've and should've died at the beginning. The story would have probably been better and more serious without him there for comedic relief. It would've been a much stronger movie without him. There's also a retarded chicken that does nothing but be retarded. There's also the fact that the ocean is sentient. It's like a giant slime. The problem is that if the ocean is sentient then it should have given the heart back to the goddess at the very beginning. There was no reason for it not to. They never even acknowledge it.

So my thoughts are that it's a movie that could've been much better were it done by any other company besides Disney or any of the really big animation movie companies. Were this made by a company like Laika that focuses on telling serious stories then it would've excelled. I wouldn't be so hard on it. But Maui, the pointless chicken, and the sentient ocean problem drags the movie down a lot for me. Otherwise it is a possibly enjoyable movie for it's high energy, visuals, and aesthetic. I'd say watch it at home on dvd instead of in theaters.

If you want an actually good serious animated demi-god movie with a neat culture then watch Kubo and the Two Strings.

I'll give it 3.5 out of 5 stars.

Music could've been timed better, the story isn't anything amazing but was different, The Rock was great, meta humor, Moana was annoying at times but is better than her predecessors and mentally retarted chicken.

Was the goddess Pele? I see the volcano monster in the trailers and I think of Pele the volcano goddess.

The fire monster was called Takau or something. But was actually the island goddess Maui stole the heart from.

It was called Te Ka. I still can't get over the massive fucking spiral on its chest. The moment that showed up it should've been obvious to everyone that THAT was Te Fiti.

When Maui and Moana climbed that monster mountain, he asked her why the ocean just didn't give the heart back. She couldn't answer at all, but I can. It's all for the plot. It's so Moana can have a place in the story despite being completely underpowered compared to everyone else. Sort of like Odysseus, but I'll get to that in a second.

It would've been better if Maui, the chicken, and the ocean were cut down. If Maui died early, the chicken stayed on the island, and the ocean got corrupted/lost its soul or something, Moana wouldn't have much help. She'd be forced to learn to fight, to sail, to navigate completely on her own. That would've been much more compelling because it'd feel like her own story as opposed to someone else carrying her half the time.

Since the writers really wanted Moana to be a mythical coming-of-age story, I don't see why they couldn't go full Odysseus. The first third of the movie set that up pretty well by portraying Moana as a competent person that could fix roofs and teach herself how to sail. Mastering fighting, navigation, all that shit are fitting challenges. Hell, her tricking the crab monster scene, and having him fall on his back, felt just like Odysseus tricking the Cyclops into calling to Nobody for help. They can even keep Te Ka's big fucking spiral.

I know that sounds Mary-Sueish or unbelievable, but to me, it feels much better than the protagonist playing second fiddle up to the last moment.

I feel the same way! It could've been a full on Greek hero style story with a mere human overcoming great odds on an amazing adventure. But instead it's the Maui hour featuring the retard chicken and guest starring Moana. It isn't until the last act that it feels like her movie again. Then Maui comes back and kinda diminshes it. I dunno. This is a mixed bag of a movie. It's like they wanted to tell a heroic myth story and a cutesy tropical adventure movie for kids at the same time. What you get is a product that could've been way better if one element existed more over the other.

2D is an slang for Anime user.

Have a song guys.

No, it's not.

I like the song even though it didn't feel like it should be in this movie.

You think it would have been more acceptable if they got David Bowie like they wanted?

Hmmm. Probably.

Did the pig have any purpose other than to put a cute animal in the ads?

Nope. Disappears a bit in the beginning. Doesn't show up again till the end. The retarded chicken is the animal sidekick for most of the movie. For some reason.

I sure can sing though.

Nigger I'll fight you

ew dreamworks face

Mother Gothel was completely innocent!

They've been doing that with the recent movies.

Surprised that he can sing to begin with.

His voice sounds pretty warm, too.

did this movie bomb like kubo where not even the pirates filmed this shit?

Lilo is still the superior hawaiian loli cunny

It really pisses me off that gorgeous and mature animation like Kubo gets overshadowed by this crap. I might go see it later tonight, but only because my friend wants me to.

You know how a person who is sexually attracted to animals is a zoophile, even if they don't have sex with them.
You're a pedophile

look out Holla Forums, sherlock motherfucking holmes is in the thread

I'll probably see this later in the month. I've got schoolwork and finals to study for. Same for Dr. Strange.

Best song about a nigger stealing your ride.

It's best just to wait for dvd or good online releases.

Thanks asshole

God fucking dammit, 2016 has been awful for celebrity deaths.
Also pretty good song, too bad the guy singing it has exactly one scene before being removed from the movie.

Bowie was okay though. Least he had some entertainment value.

(checked)
I wonder why no one has done a Holla Forums version of Starman yet.

Shit that's actually pretty good. It almost sounds more like Tim Curry than Bowie at points but that might just be me., but especially when he's talking.

it's not real you fucking autist