How big of a problem really is shilling and astroturfing on the internet?

How big of a problem really is shilling and astroturfing on the internet?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/r85Gp
forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2017/02/20/reddit-is-being-manipulated-by-big-financial-services-companies/#4f30beb04c92
youtube.com/watch?v=YjLsFnQejP8
youtube.com/watch?v=FxNvUWN3vYk
gdargaud.net/Humor/Highway.html
steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/12/458605613401572469/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What ever

The only thing we can say for certain is that "we cannot know for there is no evidence". We can guess and speculate all we want but speculation is never the same as hard proof.

shill thread

There are professional shills so no matter how big it really is as a presence, its a huge problem especially on anonymous websites and only because people are rightfully paranoid that the praise they hear for something could be biased in favor of those benefitting from it and not you the consumer. You will find shills at places with even less userbase than for example 4chan so you know of course there will be targeted messages since it is completely free advertising that cannot be easily tracked. And not only that but some users find this paranoia hilarious and ironically shill just to stir up shit. I don't think it is as big a problem here as there but I truly believe if there is an online community there will be people trying to farm it

fucking huge. it's gonna kill the net 2-3 years from now.

That's just a myth. By the way, have you heard of the every day low prices at Walmartâ„¢?

This user knows.

Back when the web first took off and forums came into style I was jumping into webdev. Since making websites no one cares about in HTML got old pretty fast I moved into perl and later php to learn the server side aspect of it. I think most people learned this way back then which is why everything eventually went to shit.

Anyway even back in the late 90s shilling was rampant on forums. It was so bad that you'd have to baby sit the thing 24/7 just to get rid of the obvious spam. Then there were accounts that blended in for 20-60 posts before going full on shill for a product. Some of those people were dedicated.

Most forum admins get tired of having to stay on top of this. So scripts were made to detect and automatically delete spam (most it to a private area). Entire countries are blocked. Cell phone networks are blocked because so many used them as work arounds. These idiots do things like this then wonder where all their traffic went.

It has always been a problem. I'm sure some oldfag can show examples of the same shit going on in the BBS days. I think the only solution is self moderation. Just give everyone their own hugbox (filters) or don't moderate anything.

wtf i love shilling and astroturfing now??!

Please explain

Kikebook has modern-day chain letters abour sick animals/accidents/fabricated illnesses often mentioning an organization, fake contests that ask you to share, shilling (ads disguised as content, bot accounts liking/rating shit), and people whoring for likes in general.

And plebbit is rife with shilling. Upboats out of nowhere, especially in posts that mention a corporation/known person (e.g. game subplebbits are inundated with $streamer beats someone/gets beaten by someone/has a killstreak/plays while eating a burger), corporate apologism (people applaud a corporation for revealing they had a leak due to incompetence, echo chambers (if you disagree/complain/call out someone on their bullshit you're trolling/wrong/misinformed/a bully). Hell, their admin even edited derisive comments.

On the contrary, look at /r/politics during the election: easily 80% shills, and you could get b& just for pointing this out. Imageboard culture, on the other hand, promotes the merciless ridiculing of shills and samefags.

Companies and governments pay enormous amounts of money to shill on social media, because normies still believe those dozen accounts echoing the same three talking points are real, intellectually honest human beings who've reached independent conclusions. CTR is real - try saying anything pro-Trump outside of t_d, or anything against Monsanto/GMOs, or Windows 10 on /r/pcmr on Leddit. JIDF is real - try editing any article related to Jews or Israel and see how quickly it gets rolled back.

Read the "how to spot a shill" primers on Holla Forums.
>>>Holla Forums993439
Once you see it you can't unsee it: shills are everywhere.

Completely unlike imageboards.

That explains everything, right.

see

this user knows
let me say I am pro Holla Forums agenda as I post this as an educational agenda
archive.is/r85Gp

read this thread from this point down, I had a short discussion with one of the anons there on concern trolling and demoralization

and I recommend all of you anons read the Holla Forums primer

also maybe watch some of these series of videos
forbes.com/sites/jaymcgregor/2017/02/20/reddit-is-being-manipulated-by-big-financial-services-companies/#4f30beb04c92
the short of it is that the first few posts can define a thread so getting a few accounts to shill your perspective can have far reaching implications

see this is an example of either a shill post or a Holla Forums post calling Holla Forums delusional

or just foreign disinfo in general really, even though they may believe it to be true

FIVE DOLLAR
FIVE DOLLAR
FIVE DOLLAR
FOOTLONGS

FIVE FOOT
FIVE FOOT
FIVE FOOT
PENIS

Absolutely enormous problem

I dont think we really know how big it is. We know it is there though.
The fact that we know its done but cant necessarily tell how much or whos who is enough to warrant paranoid overreaction about it though.
Im not being even a little bit ironic. Marketers and spooks trying to fucking hijack everything to peddle their fucking agenda, and we can't tell exactly how much its being done or who is or is not a shill, reliably. All of them need to hang.

On Plebbit, there's constant cocksucking every time there's an AMA. Inconvenient questions are downboated to oblivion. Mods are at the service of PR, and delete anything "offensive and objectionable" (i.e. anything they dislike).
You'll hardly ever see outrage when there's a breach of trust beyond maybe 1 post maybe, like when it was revealed Osu! sent screenshots of your whole monitor to Peppy. It all died down in like a day or two. God knows whether it still sends shots of your desktop.

On imageboards, shills and brand loyalty are mocked, and hype is avoided. Blind faith is not tolerated, and muh inclusivity and tolerance sjw faggots are called out for the bullshit excuses they have.

all shills

(OP) (You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
(You)
all me

Doesn't make imageboards less of an echo chamber.

Holla Forums is delusional. It's all speculation and no facts. People make the mistake on confusing speculation and fact.

Not to mention it's ran by a kike who learned how to moderate from SRS. There's reasons people are leaving Holla Forums in droves.

You mean besides perma-bans for "chronic shitposting" whenever you hurt the mod's feelings? 4ch Holla Forums is much better, but anonymous imageboards just suck in general. The no ego ideal is just a pretext to commit verbal abuse, you stupid faggot, because being a prick anonymously gives you are rush, saying things that you are too polite to say IRL, you fucking fuckface. Get it? You can't coordinate very well with anonymous imageboards and projects are doomed to fail because with a lack of threat to a reputation, animal instincts towards laziness take over. There is no PRIDE in one's posts, because there is no value in one's posts. Its just one more turd floating in a sea of piss, and we can appreciate a sea of piss for a while, but when its all said and done you can't catch a tuna in a sea of piss. Put another way, imageboards appeal to our worst nature, encourage sloth while monitoring threads, and generally stop it's users from bettering themselves. Did I learn about computer vision systems tonight? No. I wasted it talking with a bunch of fucking retards on an anonymous imageboard. Did I do some math problems and up my skills? No. I wasted my time reading about some ugly lesbian's television show exposing Trump's tax return from twelve years ago.

Men do not become wise by accident. Conversation enriches the understanding, but solitude is the school of genius. Therefore, interaction without reason, without a laser beam focus on actualizing an objective, it is just being a ship adrift. This is what I've learned after being an ebin oldfag since before 4chan was even a thing. This medium, this format, it sucks. There is very little redeeming value to be found here, exceedingly little. After wasting time here, reading a dry text book on any subject relating to technology is so intellectually stimulating that the only reason to even come here anymore is out of habit, a bad habit that I hope to quit very soon. Because this doesn't matter, nothing on this site matters.

If you are new to imageboards, take my advice and quit using them immediately.

Shut the fuck up tripfag

Where's my trip brah? You stupid newfag.

Go back to reddit

Reddit is better too. Fight me faggot.

I would argue that this is case just because, for a lot of people, imageboards are only place where they can anonymously say what bothers them. So all anger that people accumulate just ends up in posts.

YOU HAVE TO GO BACK
>>>/somethingawful/

Back in the day Something Awful is where you got the shock value, the gore, the double penetrations, etc. Now you have LiveLeak.

No it wasn't. It was $5 place that had edgy humor about shock websites and other shitty sites. It was what 4chan is today before 4chan came along.

Well, you told me! Where were you on 9/11? I was jerking it to hentai. Now tell me about anime: which is the best girl?

Is that why you're a fucking namefag? Because knowing what a good job you did isn't good enough for you, so you have to rub it in your fellow posters' faces by posting with a name? Go back to 4chan, you egotistic faggot. If you really want to improve yourself, learn to give up your name sometimes. Not just in an imageboard setting, either. Identity is not inherently bad, but if you are such a narcissistic asshole that you don't do anything that doesn't directly increase your social status, then there is something wrong with you. You're projecting so hard in your post. There are many on here and on 4chan that have accomplished things and not so much as used "____ user" as a pseudonym. While you're not wrong that the userbase as a whole could accomplish more if they quit shitposting online and did something else with their time, to say this is related to their lack of identity is wrong. Now, is it a matter of nature, or nurture? Who knows. But at the very least you should try to cure your cancer for the benefit of the rest of us, so we don't have to see your name here ever again.

If you can't censor opinions you have to muddy the waters and spread misinformation. Go read a cnn or msnbc article and you'll see they do nothing but circle jerk with themselves citing each other as sources and authorities on topics while blatantly misreporting. Then go read their comments and it's the same shit. You can also search candid on youtube and see that whole fiasco where a bunch of "pro free speech" youtubers had their speech bought to shill a pseudo-anonymous app and were then barred from criticizing it. I imagine this happens a lot and you don't even notice it.

Need more proof go on reddit or halfchan and you can see the blatant proof where opinions are blocked/censored/shadowbanned for simply stating observable facts that get painted as "unfavorable" opinions. Doesn't matter though, if you deal with this consciously on any level at all you just end up honing your bullshit detector.

Maybe if you had your ego under control anonymous posts on the internet wouldn't bother you.

You mean like acquiring comment karma :^)

Mayuri

It's probably best to ignore our resident troll.

everyone in this thread is a shill

even me

MARKETERS INTO THE FUCKING OVENS/GULAGS/OUT OF THE FUCKING HELICOPTERS
I DONT EVEN CARE JUST END THESE KIKES PLEASE

Even worse is that so many people act like shills even though they aren't working for anyone. They behave as if they were being paid to push some agenda. They think and act like shills.

You are able to actually have an opinion here, something that doesn't happen on leddit or twatter, where your post gets deleted/you get shadowbanned/you get blocked.

fuck off. people still threaten and shit on each other on plebbit and kikebook. And they also have witch hunts where they (rightfully or not) try to blacklist you everywhere and get you fired from your job, facilitated exactly by usernames and post histories.

Pretty much. Get gud or get fucked, The internet has become the only real platform for free speech. With that comes the shilling

What I find is that people's bullshit detector is way too sensitive.

Yes, that's about it

It is a better user experience, I'm glad you agree.

I blame the Trump Effect, its society's fault really

I disagree. I think that I hit a nerve. What you don't want to admit is that there is something wrong with you, otherwise you wouldn't be so upset.

Why do you feel the need to lie user?

Both

Comment karma is an objectively superior system because it reflects the wants and needs of the larger community. People with shit opinions like yours get drowned out, thrown into a bog, etc.

We make a good team

It is enforced politeness. You only get attacked by the larger group when you become detrimental to the larger group, and rightly so. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Organizing without usernames, personas, etc. ... it just doesn't work. Its extremely inefficient. Name one project successfully completed by 8ch Holla Forums. Name one objective completed by 8ch Holla Forums. Nobody memed anyone into anything before you pull that one out of your ass. The grunt work was done by engaging normies in the comment sections of news articles using facebook, etc. That's right, normies engaged other normies. Don't for a second think that 3000 turbo-autists on a shitty backwater chan engaged enough people to make an impact, because they didn't. They have no influence. Black Lives Matter has more money, organization, members than 8ch Holla Forums, and its sad and pathetic, but it is true.

this is like 4/g/ shilling windows and phoneshit isn't it.

I don't think they're really that effective, because they're usually pretty obvious and usually only fool retards who already want their shit, but they're getting worse. Political shills are on a whole other level, and need to hang.

I don't have much on me, but there's plenty out there. What do you think fucking CTR was? Have you never heard of "viral marketing" companies? Fake reviews are really easy to make and spot, too.

There is that, but it seems like it just wears off when you stop being a newfag. After that you just want to have decent discussion without the cancer that normalfags and newfags bring.

Are you b8ing, or do you really need an explanation?

It's Makise Kurise. He's always b8ing. Just ignore the obvious faggotard.

youtube.com/watch?v=YjLsFnQejP8
youtube.com/watch?v=FxNvUWN3vYk
You're shills.

shill

Like I said, speculation is not the same as hard fact. If I saw a CTR post, my exact terminology to describe such a post would be, "the balance of probably suggests that this is a shill post because of these factors". It's a guess and I treat it nothing more than a guess until I get hard evidence that post 5252343335 is paid by CTR.

It doesn't matter if we can tell if an individual post is a shill, what matters is that we know they actually do it. And we do.

I didn't mean to speculate, I was hinting that you should go google evidence yourself because all I have are screenshots.

It exists sure but the majority of this community thinks that anyone who disagrees with them is a shill. Not even just using it as a broad meme term, the fear of shills is astounding here. In fact the constant fear, paranoia and conspiracy theories make this place much much worse than it should be. It wasn't quite like this back in 2014. Now?
The worse parts of this community stayed and ingrained themselves in tales of boogey men and paranoia. The fear of shills now being worse than what a shill could do to their community. Its sad honestly user.

Yes, like when criticism of a broken game gets buried by diehard fanboys, or when someone calling attention to misdemeanor by a celebrity/corporation/figure of authority gets buried, or when bot accounts get a artificial product placement 'meme' to the front page of a big subleddit.

So, apparently adding someone to a huge blocklist that gets shilled everywhere in an effort to get them shadowbanned, and calling someone's boss and asking them to fire an employee because said employee offended a special snowflake on the internet is ok.
and who do you think contributed material and wrote the comments that got the ball rolling? Hint: it wasn't full-on normies, because they can't think for themselves.
It's not even worth replying anymore if you're not gonna put any thought into your posts.

Winning argument

You are overlooking the obvious because your feelings got hurt. If the larger community doesn't like your opinion, why do you think that they have to be forced to confront it constantly? I don't want some asshole blasting the muslim call to prayer in my safe space, and if the community that I reside in likewise decides that such a noise is detrimental to the group, they can ban it. They can refuse to publish extremist views in the news media, a shadowban on all your comments on news articles, etc. And in doing so, this oppressive censorship is not necessarily wrong. Once you take a step back it may become clear that not every opinion, even your own, is valid. If you are making people upset, why should you be allowed to continually harrass the user base of a forum, etc. That is why moderators exist, because without some kind of moderation you have all kinds of abuse, spam, etc. Far from being a wonderland of free-expression, any chan has to ban things that the majority of the users don't like or they risk losing the users to another site. 8ch took of when IRCwheels cynically exploited GG to try and grow his site, but less than a year later he called this influx stale and actively recruited Redditors. Betrayed by based Hotwheels, this me-thinks is like another Fall of Man, for how innocent did he seem in my eyes, how noble, that my heart broke in two at the realization of how we were but lambs to the slaughter, to be exploited for cold and clammy NEETbucks.

I disagree that OC from this place influenced the election. It is such a small backwater of the internet, this place simply didn't make any OC worthy of note. What I realized after being isolated on 8ch was that the userbase of 8ch mostly was replaced every few months and that most of the interesting content was actually stale memes reposted from 4chan. Many of the best threads were just reposts of things trending on 4chan. It isn't even up for debate, it is beyond contestation.

The boogeyman of 2014 (and earlier) was the kike. If you disagree, you're a kike.

It's already killing the net ,I'd say. In a few years it'll just be the nail in the coffin.

Shills have been infiltrating online communities since the BBS / newsgroups days as this user says, but it was at a manageable / tolerable level in most places. (It reminded me of a particular obvious shill in the technical forums of the dial-up ISP I used in the late 90s, it was a shitty slow ISP full of connection and backbone problems, and the dude would always make posts defending the ISP and berating the users who complained. He obviously worked for them but would never admit it. Guy was a pain in the ass).

Anyways, it's been growing steadily worse since then, but I think there was a spike and it started to become really bad since about 2011 or so. I find it particularly bad with gaming communities, I'd say most of the active users in the Steam forums are paid shills, and I notice an unsettling and growing amount of them on Holla Forums.

anyone who lives in $CURRENT_YEAR and stays anywhere near the 'things are ok they're just a little off' center is worse than any extremist imho.
though hijacking threads and discussion about unrelated or only tangentially related stuff for political circlejerks is fucking obnoxious and needs to stop yeah.

the worst thing about Holla Forums if they're still anything like they were the last time I visited is that they simultaneously call anything thats actually about video games VIRAL yet are still retarded enough to get taken in by actual viral.

Irrelevant. Stop projecting your desire for imageboards to behave like reddit onto everyone who prefers the format. You have dozens of shitty circlejerk ego sites you can visit and build a worthless internet profile on. This format is valuable Specifically because I can call you a faggot and receive zero repercussions for how I genuinely feel. As for the rest of your post, yes, the Jesus archetype doesn't exist in real life. Sorry you found that out the hard way, hotwheels is just a faggot doing his thing like the rest of us. Just call him out and try to keep him as transparent as possible and we can have some fun for a while before we inevitably go the way of the dinosaur. Comment karma is a popularity contest by the way, I fail to see how it produces better content since it simply relies on psychologically warping people into the group think. Instead of expressing how they feel they're worried about what people will say about their opinion. Why would I waste time on a site where I'm dishonestly altering what i think to please the majority? There is no value in that whatsoever. Proving someone wrong with downvotes is about as good as calling them hitler.

A lot of people who got into webdev back then weren't even programmers to begin with, so that explains it more than the tools. If you knew how to slap together some HTML, they hired you.

I actually do agree with this. Messageboards are only 1-2 rungs down from Web 3.0 social media when it comes to enabling do-nothing mentalities. Being anonymous only heightens the sense of a community being 'messy' at best, or 'gigantic scatterbrained minefield of potholes'. Comic related now really applies to every imageboard still related to 4chan, not just 4/v/ alone, anomalies notwithstanding.

nihilist pls go and stay go

Well the VIRAL VIRAL VIRAL meme seems to have died down, but yeah, many of them will eat shit up while still calling it shit
Last time I noticed a huge influx of obvious shills on Holla Forums was during RE7's release, they would storm every thread about the game (which has lots of problems and it wasn't really what many fans wanted) to compliment and defend it, and make any criticism or meaningful discussion lost amidst the noise.
As a couple of weeks passed and the game was finally cracked, the shills disbanded (probably were given other assignments at the viral marketing companies they work for), and then meaningful discussion about the game actually became possible.

Did you say potholes?
gdargaud.net/Humor/Highway.html
Btw, nice dubs!

checked, and thanks

Today I did some encryption and decryption programming for fun. I'm glad I wasn't here for awhile, but here I am again. Dank memes keep me addicted to this shitty format.

It's so hard to tell sometimes too because I know braindead consumers who will defend their chosen franchises with the fury of a dozen paid shills but gain nothing from it. A lot of gamers are just /g/ tier nigger cattle

ITT shills shilling shills

:^)
You have potential

Well i'm working under the assumption that you're a newfriend because we know for sure the fbi has been heavily present on 4chan since at least 2007, although with all the crazy shit that happened from the start it's possible they have been there earlier. And i'm not even talking about companies that sell actual product, since they have been shilling for about that long and possibly earlier aswell.
Needless to say the problem is huge, just earlier this year we had Holla Forums uncover CTR's shilling operation, and shilling has been a thing on media since before any of us were born. In fact all major online communities have shills in them, from neogaf and gtaforums to tom's hardware and guru3d.

social engineering is literally everywhere

I wouldn't worry about it.

Safe

Being this bad at your job

Kek

Holla Forums LARPing and ridiculous conspiracy theories should be grounds for a ban here, as those only serve to divert attention from actual issues and drive away anyone not interested in discussion devolving into /x/ tier bullshit.

This, never attribute to shills what could easily be attributed to idiots. Anyone who thinks otherwise has never been around the gun owning community and experienced things like caliber wars where almost none of the people involved have done any in depth research and the same easily debunkable claims are repeated ad infinitum no matter how much the topic is discussed, fuddlore that straight up defies the laws of physics, and other absurdities, all existing since before the dawn of the web.

I guess you've never been to Holla Forums ?!

Not an argument, reddit

I know it's an old thread and someone probably already said this. Reddit and news sites are the perfect example for shilling. Apple only invites journalists who write positive reviews. And there's pressure to further censor youtube and facebook of not political correct subjects because the advertisers don't want their ads next to it.

considering that 99% of drama on the drama corner of the internet (4chan,reddit,twatter,etc) is just people yelling SHILL!111, i'd say not very much

If the shill posts algorithm using neural network shit get good enough to effectively post autonomously,
the gargantuan flood of shill posts will turn the net into a giant grabagedump of content.
Think clickbait turned up to eleven on anything and everthing that you can read and is publicly accesible.
Private forums may find ways to limit these automated posts, assuming their "turing test" is good enough.
I's gonna happen user, we cannot stop it anymore.

It's already happening

And they "reward" journalists that write as they wish with the newest products to "review". And nowadays it isn't as bad as a few years a go when every update of iTunes or OS X got a half page article in almost every major paper in my country. Now we only read about the new colors of the next iPhone or how great Apple is not being as insecure as their competitors.

HAHAHAHAHAHA DISREGARD THAT I SUCK COCKS

Shills are big and it's no secret, they operate openly. Whether it's for political reasons or just marketing, there's big money involved so of course there's gonna be big effort going into it.

Well well well, what have we here.

Just not yours. Is that why you hate me? Because I can't be a female on Holla Forums, or because the thought of you being a real-life cuck is just too painful, and any female, no matter who they are, reminds you of this fact?

cuck

Type "Mozilla" into the catalog search box. Does that answer your question?

pre-op or post-op?

Calm down user, I haven't mentioned my gender before because I don't want a bunch of fanboys like that gook bitch on Lainchan.

shills and astroturfers have always existed.
but they went nuclear few months before the US election.
8 and 4 Holla Forumss are good examples of what shilling to death is.
they are still very active active to this day and i suspect many countries to be involved.

social engineering always existed, but the internet made it possible to reach everyone more easily.
especially your enemies.

shill

do you take HRT sublingually or via injections? I'd love to get an implant but insurance usually doesn't cover it.

Not sure if taking medical advice from a fat weeb namefag is the best idea. Besides, HRT increases your risk of breast cancer and other estrogen-sensitive cancers.

also when you're a professional shitposter for years and years on chans tourists tend to stick out like a sore thumb.

Seriously I don't even know where to start.

well yes but it lowers your risk of prostate and testicular cancer immensely

HUGE. we need to legislate, potentially outlaw it

Well, this is true.
Just look at all the RetroArch shills on 4 /vr/ and 8 Holla Forums, who usually turn emu threads to shit with their autism. It's not even a franchise but a completely free, open source project.
However, it's usually pretty easy to notice the difference between the autistic fanboy shill and the paid shill.

this.

how is this supposed to work?

It's a huge problem but it's not even illegal to fabricate "news".

I once had to ban all of Digital Ocean during a raid. Over 2 million IPs. That was just over a single shill topic. You tell me.

I agree with this assessment. Even a distributed chan is going to have massive problems with whitelist/blacklisting. The difference is that the shills are getting paid for it and the people who are fighting the shills aren't.
The only way we'll ever be free of shills is if we kill them ourselves in meat space. The nature of technology is such that with increasing computing power, AI, etc etc etc, you'll be pulled into tighter and tighter whitelists of a few close people who you know personally, because otherwise it'll be almost impossible to filter out the shills. I don't see it getting better, ever.

Shareblue got $40 million to shill 8/pol/.
$40 fucking million. One company. It's a minor miracle 8/pol/ has been standing as long as it has.

He's right about the CTR LARP. It's a real cap created by CTR as a psyop against Holla Forumsacks so they'd be scared to post. There have been multiple concern troll psyops trying to scare Holla Forumsacks into abandoning 8/pol/ and that's one of them. He's right that it's a LARP, but he's right for the wrong reasons.

aren't e-msm getting in trouble with investors for faking traffic to their sites bought from china?

I can confirm there are Panasonic shills on Holla Forums, because someone keeps shilling his Toughbooks in the ThinkPad thread.

Oh wait.. I AM the unpaid shill.

All craziness aside: Isn't shilling like a big thing on every site, not only chans?

Yeah. Fake traffic and fake content is big business.

it's only a problem on imageboards because there's no names to see who's genuine and who's not. the price to pay for anonymity though.

what is identity theft

you should take everytihng you read with a grain of salt

except this. everything in this post is true

and this one. and this one.

The stories and information posted here are artistic works of fiction and falsehood. Only a fool would take anything posted here as fact.

I control about 30 sockpuppets on reddit to steer upvotes and conversation of thread/subreddit to where I want. There are people getting paid for this kind of stuff with way more puppets.

These are the people who tell you not to use Tox.

MY ASSHOLE HAS BEEN TORN APART BY LIGHT YEARS OF COCK

not at all, don't let Holla Forumsyps tell you otherwise

A huge problem. The post above this for example is the work of a Holla Forums shill.

Richard Stallman waited. The lights above him blinked and sparked out of the air. There were shills in the base. He didn't see them, but had expected them now for years. His warnings to Bill Gates were not listenend to and now it was too late. Far too late for now, anyway. Rcihard was a web developer and forum contributor for fourteen years. When he was young he watched youtube and he said to dad "I want to design my own comment sections daddy..."
Dad said "No! You will BE KILL BY SHILLS"
There was a time when he believed him. Then as he got oldered he stopped. But now in the comment section of "How to Install GNU/Linux - 2017" he knew there were shills.
"This is Gates" the radio crackered. "You must fight the shills"
So Richard gotted his keyboard and blew up the website.
"HE GOING TO KILL US" said the shills
"I will hack him" said the cybershill and he fired the DDOS. Richard typed at him and tried to blew him up. But then the internet fell and they were trapped and not able to shill.
"No! I must kill the shills!" he shouted
The radio said "No, Richard. You are the shills"
And then Richard was a consumerist.

I don't share this user's pessimism but obviously it's a huge fucking problem.

Hell I myself and other red anons have dabbled in persona management to seed anti-cuckoldry sentiment across a couple different platforms. As luck would have it these efforts coincided with Trump's nascent presidential campaign and once cuck found strong roots among the people of plebbit, jewtube and twatter meme magic took over and the rest is history.

I didn't work Twitch myself but that place is overrun with bots, most of them not necessarily malignant in nature but just commercial bull-horns more and more corps are placing their ad buys in.

All this salt user, so delicious

Persona management makes you a cuck because you have to hang in the background while e-celebs get all the poontang.

smh Donald Trumpsky

Do you have some kind of automation?

Isn't that ranking from visits to archived versions? Nobody knows the real analytics except for these media themselves.
Some of them really are losing money though because they recently started begging for donations to keep their "investigative" propaganda going.

Normies, being mindless drones, give a lot more weight to opinions from their favorite let's player/e-celeb/unoriginal so randumb xD youtuber than those from a random stranger (i.e. appeal to authority). Said people are in an ideal opinion to insert affiliate links, "recommend", "endorse", or shill services and sell out their fanbase with little to no opposition.
There might be a handful smarter than your average normie who will catch wind of what's going on and abandon ship, but their efforts to inform the masses will go largely unnoticed.

Are they mentioning that autistic NEET wizard that I've seen on /fringe/, /4chon/ and Holla Forums?

bamping

reminded me of this thread i saw where this one guy is trying to sell out his steam friend for no other reason then pirating punch club

steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/12/458605613401572469/

>not only collecting the rare star pepes

this

fuck its like twitter, everyday theres some controversial tt like #fatpeopleareuglylel
and 99.99999999% of tweets its people virtue signalling and poiting fingers and shit. its annoying af

I'm picturing chris chan

The alternative to an absurdly obese trap would be [pic related]. That's what real women in Holla Forums related fields look like.

It's fucking fake. But retards on 4chan cannot comprehend it.

Reality is irrelevant in a battle for mindshare and opinions. It's all about who can field the better narrative.

This story is close enough to factual reality that it could not hurt half Holla Forums, even if it was proven to be false. They are under siege by opposing forces. If it takes a fictional enemy to make them (God bless their retarded little souls.) aware of it, then so be it. The result will hurt their real enemies, no matter what.

It's too obviously made up to anyone that doesn't visit Holla Forums, only Holla Forums thinks it's clever, while nobody, neither Holla Forums nor the others, believes it's real. At best it will only sway a few american idiots who already have meme-tier conception of politics and likely already visit Holla Forums or similar. It's just circlejerking, which is what all political groups today are doing. All politics today is just stupid memes circulating in useless echo chambers, it doesn't matter whether it's the internet or academia. In the end the centrists always win because everybody else is incapable of opposing the system with a real alternative.

But what proof do you have to show that? Only conjecture. There's never been a government leak or antifa whistleblower who talks about huge organised "shilling" attacks on Holla Forums, only conjecture

There is no need for proof as long as the story rings true with enough people. Most people don't care about reality, they just want to hear a good story.