Holla ForumsLACK PHYSICAL IMPROVEMENT GUIDE

Due to interest in shown in the health thread, and the necessity of improved fitness given recent events, I have taken it upon myself to write a guide for building a base of physical fitness centered around the general needs of Holla Forums. As a background, I compete in powerlifting and have helped train infantry of the USMC with great success. I have best lifts of a 605x2 squat, 425 bench, and 635 deadlift. If you browse /fit/, I am the 4 plate bench guy.

The goal of this guy is to help take a sedentary person and turn them into a person with good cardiovascular endurance, proficiency in body weight movements, above average physical strength, and a muscular appearance. This will not specialize you for any given sport or work forever, but will work well for those who choose to put in the work. This is broken up into two phases, cardio and habit forming, and resistance training.

Other urls found in this thread:

stronglifts.com)
youtube.com/watch?v=q5zkeyOcng4
youtube.com/watch?v=aCCloRZiFZg
youtube.com/watch?v=iHHGtQn0V5I
youtube.com/watch?v=-t7fuZ0KhDA
youtube.com/watch?v=PQF5hQS6ZIc
youtube.com/watch?v=UyRiw2b8yI4
youtube.com/watch?v=ph3pddpKzzw
youtube.com/watch?v=Iigix2yTxxY
youtube.com/watch?v=ezRP5-ick9Q
youtube.com/watch?v=dW5-C1fsMjk
youtube.com/watch?v=yI1Iz7Coiv0
iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

You will start off by doing the basic couch to 5k program you see all over the internet. It is everywhere because it is simple, anyone can do it, and it works. You will want to get a proper pair of running shoes to do this, they do not have to be expensive but they have to be comfortable and absorb shock well. If you are sedentary from the start or otherwise lazy, this will be the hardest part. While you are not doing as much work in the beginning, motivation is often very difficult. It is very important to remind yourself of why you have chose to do this, and focus on the end goal. After enough time, most people begin to enjoy the process.

In this phase, you will also need to start focusing on diet and sleep habits. You will need to sleep at least 8 hours a day, some people more. The exercise will help you develop a good sleeping pattern. I recommend waking yourself at the same time every morning, and then going to bed whenever you are tired. For me that sometimes gives me 10+ hours of sleep a night. Dietary needs can be a little different for everyone depending on their body, but aim for a bare minimum of 1 gram of protein per pound body weight (or about 2 grams per kg). Your food choices should consist of things you can grow, catch, or kill. This basic guide from the first page of /fit/ does a great job. Drink at least one gallon of water a day.

A note on dairy: Dairy is perfectly fine, but if you find it bloats you or gives you digestive issues, then don’t consume it. There are enough good foods to choose that dairy is not a requirement if you so choose.

In this phase of habit forming, it would also be good to start reading every night, cutting out tobacco and alcohol, and learning useful skills. Keeping yourself busy is a great way to avoid eating garbage.

So is Convict Conditioning the real deal or what? All the guys the author quoted in the book are certified demigods of fitness, but I'd rather have some direct opinions

Now that you have built up a base of cardio, cut back the cardio to 2 sessions a week. Aim for a 3 mile run twice a week. Consider trying other forms of cardio such as swimming or biking, but maintain the difficulty. It would also be worth training for a martial art at this point in time. These two days of cardio can be done on the same day as the resistance training or on separate days if you so choose. Depending on how you schedule yourself, this could mean training between 3-5 days per week.

The weight training program will follow a classic push/pull/legs format. There are 3 training sessions that you can perform in any order that you choose, but must be done on 3 non consecutive days of the week, such as AxBxCxx. This is done to provide time for your body to rest and heal, where the actual improvement is made. Videos of exercises will be included at the end.

The training will revolve around a primary movement that progresses linearly, then is switched to a similar movement when progress stalls, followed by secondary movements. The rotation of exercises will be done to keep progress moving, while keeping the trainee interested in what they are doing.

Push day:
The first movement will be a standing overhead press. After a warm up, the lift will be performed for 4 sets of 8 repetitions (4x8). All sets are done at the same weight. At the next session, add five more pounds (about 2 kg), and repeat. When you fail at completing this twice, switch from a 4x8 set/rep scheme to a 4x7 set/rep scheme and repeat. This will go as 4x8>4x7>4x6>4x5>3x5. When you fail the 3x5 twice, switch from the standing overhead press to the incline bench press and repeat. When you fail at 3x5 twice again, switch from the incline bench press to the flat bench press. When you fail at that, the cycle begins again.

Next will be a superset, where you perform a set of one exercise, then immediately perform a set of another exercise. You will perform a dumbbell press for 5 sets of 10-20 supersetted with pushups. The exact weight and reps aren’t very important, just try to improve every time. Do the push ups to failure every set. Start doing the dumbbell presses on a flat bench at the start. When you switch the main lift to the incline bench press, switch the dumbbell bench press to a dumbbell incline press. When you perform the flat bench press as a main lift, switch to an overhead dumbbell press. This is done to maintain balance of work done by the shoulders and chest.

The first day can end right there, but as you improve and feel you can do more work, start adding another super set of the end of dumbbell front raises (3x10-20) will rolling dumbbell extensions (3x10-20). This is not necessary at the start.

Tldr:
OHP/Incline bench press/Flat bench press: 4x8/4x7/4x6/4x5/3x5
Dumbbell bench press/Dumbbell incline press/Dumbbell overhead press: 5x10-20
supersetted with pushups:5xFailure
OPTIONAL: Dumbbell shoulder raises: 3x10-20
supersetted with rolling dumbbell extensions: 3x10-20

Pull Day:

The first movement will be a deadlift while standing on a 2” (about 5cm) platform. If you have 100 lb plates at your gym, that is about the right height. After a warm up, the lift will be performed for 4 sets of 8 repetitions (4x8). All sets are done at the same weight. At the next session, add five more pounds (about 2 kg), and repeat. When you fail at completing this twice, switch from a 4x8 set/rep scheme to a 4x7 set/rep scheme and repeat. This will go as 4x8>4x7>4x6>4x5>3x5, just like on the push day. When you fail the 3x5 twice, remove the platform, and do deadlifts while standing on the floor and repeat. When you fail at 3x5 twice again, elevate the weights by 2” and repeat. When you fail, the cycle repeats again.

Chalk is recommended for the hands to help maintain grip. Make sure to take care of your hands to ensure they do not rip open. Deadlifts should be performed in shoes with a flat, non compressible sole such as Chuck Taylors.

The secondary movement will be a pull up, chin up, or lat pull down. If you can not do a pull up/chin up, do lat pull downs or pull ups with a resistance band to assist you. Do these for 5 sets to failure for the pull ups, or 5 sets of 10-20 if you choose to do lat pull downs. Next, do back extensions. Some gyms have horizontal back extensions, while others have 45 degree back extensions. Both are fine. Perform 5 sets of 10-20, resistance can be added in the form of a small plate behind the head, but don’t go too heavy too quick.

The day can end there, but as you improve and feel you can do more work, start doing a dumbbell row, or a seated row with a cable. Perform these 3 sets of 10-20

tldr:
Deficit deadlift on 2” block/Deadlift/Elevated deadlift on 2” block: 4x8/4x7/4x6/4x5/3x5
Pull up/Chin up/Lat pulldown 5xFailure OR 5x10-20
Back extension 5x10-20
OPTIONAL: Dumbbell or cable row: 3x10-20

Get a C5K app and the Stronglifst 5x5 app (stronglifts.com)
Start running and lifting.

Leg day:

The first movement will be a paused front squat. You may hold the bar in a standard clean grip, or a crossed arm grip. Pause at the bottom of the lift for a 1-2 count. After a warm up, the lift will be performed for 4 sets of 8 repetitions (4x8). All sets are done at the same weight. At the next session, add five more pounds (about 2 kg), and repeat. When you fail at completing this twice, switch from a 4x8 set/rep scheme to a 4x7 set/rep scheme and repeat. This will go as 4x8>4x7>4x6>4x5>3x5, just like on the push day. When you fail the 3x5 twice, stop pausing and do regular front squats and repeat. When you fail at 3x5 twice again, perform a regular back squat and repeat. Make sure to do these with the bar high on your back. When you fail, the cycle repeats again.

Like deadlifts, the squats should be done with a shoe that has a non compressible sole. It may be flat, or have a heel like the ones olympic weight lifters use. Make sure to squat deep.

The secondary movement will be highly dependent on what you have access to. If you have access to a glute ham raise, that will be the best option. If not, a cable pull through will also do. If you don’t have access to a low cable, dumbbell stiff leg deadlifts will suffice. Regardless of the exercise, perform 5 sets of 10-20. Next, do leg raises. They can be done off of a bench, using a russian chair, or hanging from a pull up bar. Perform 5 sets of 10-20

The day can end there, but as you improve and feel you can do more work, starting doing sprints. I don’t have much of a guideline for how to do these, but aim for between 40-100 meters, and repeat until you puke.

Tldr:

Paused front squat/Front squat/Squat: 4x8/4x7/4x6/4x5/3x5
Glute ham raise/Cable pull through/Dumbbell SLDL: 5x10-20
Leg raise 5x10-20
OPTIONAL: Sprints: 40-100m sprints until failure

Overhead press: youtube.com/watch?v=q5zkeyOcng4
Incline bench press: youtube.com/watch?v=aCCloRZiFZg
Flat bench press: youtube.com/watch?v=iHHGtQn0V5I
Dumbbell Front raise: youtube.com/watch?v=-t7fuZ0KhDA
Rolling dumbbell extension: youtube.com/watch?v=PQF5hQS6ZIc

Deadlift(set up will be the same for all variations): youtube.com/watch?v=UyRiw2b8yI4
Back extension: youtube.com/watch?v=ph3pddpKzzw
Dumbbell row: youtube.com/watch?v=Iigix2yTxxY

Front squat: youtube.com/watch?v=ezRP5-ick9Q
Squat: youtube.com/watch?v=dW5-C1fsMjk
Leg raise: youtube.com/watch?v=yI1Iz7Coiv0

I will answer any questions

Convict conditioning is better than nothing, but I believe a balanced training system will include bodyweight movements, cardio, and weight training.

If you complete the 4x8 sets are you done with that exercise for the day or do you reduce the reps and keep going ? Seems like a really high volume if that's the case

Posting from different device

You are done with that exercise for the day. You only move on to the next range after failure on the next training session.

Erry day, no excuses except when you're broke and haven't eaten anything but beans and carrots for the last week

Cardio is for fats.

Isn't this just the improved /fit/ sticky

good job touching it up and posting it all WITH demo videos though

STILL GUNNA MAKE IT

This isn't the sticky, it is a guide written with a cardio first emphasis for the needs of the race war.

DUMBBELL HITLER SALUTES
14 SETS / 88 REPS
VÖLKISCH DELTS AND TRICEPS GAINS

good guide op
im getting my ass off the couch and i'll use it
bump

as opposed to 2%?

I do IIFYM with a diet consiting mainly of whey with water and cake. I supplement this with fibre, vitamins and greens. I'm jacked AF. Count calories, manage macros and win at life.

Some people eat only the egg whites

If it works for you then keep it up man, but I don't trust someone who is just starting out with this stuff with cake. Hope you keep up good progress!

Find the whey protein powder with Glutamine in it.
The added T boost is nice.

Do not eat this garbage.

Canola oil is rapeseed oil, which was banned by the FDA in the 1950's for its toxicity. Canola oil as we know it today comes from a strain of rapeseed that has been genetically modified. The oil is so high in Omega 3's that it goes rancid extremely quickly, therefore producers run it through a deodorization process to kill the rotten smell, which ends up removing much of the Omega 3 fatty acids, thus rendering the oil unhealthy garbage.

Use clarified butter/ghee for frying instead.

How can I figure out what macros are right for me? Where can I go to calculate how much I need to be eating?
I'm clueless about this in general, will check the /fit/ sticky again, but bumping this thread for now.

OP forgot to add
If you're not consuming meat along with your protein supplement, don't even bother posting here.
We won't allow vegans to fag up a fitness discussion.

You have to experiment. Not everyone is the same, but aim for high protein.

Good catch, I didn't consider that. I personally use sunflower oil myself due to the low cost where I live.

Protein powders typically aren't worth it, food is better every time.

21-25g of pure protein a scoop, that's more than you get in a fucking grade-A steak. I'm talking about whey isolate with glutamine, not some kind of shitty flavored placebo powder.

You should also be eating steak though.

iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

just type in your stats my brother

OP, how effective is Greyskull LP for a beginner? Is it really as good as the lifting community claims it is?

It is very good. Any linear progression program with a focus on compound barbell movements is great for a beginner.

Pic related is OP

Raw strenght won't give you the situational awareness, reflexes and technique needed to survive the racewar. You won't even know how to take advantage of your own strenght.

Have fun getting torn to shreds by mobs of niggers because you didn't see that sucker punch coming.

why do 5 reps for a beginner? chinese and russian weightlifters start off with light weights and +/- 10 reps, just honing the movement and practicing neuromuscular coordination before loading the lifts with heavier weight.

if you take a skinny fat neet who never exercised before (and this is an imageboard after all) and make him go hard on squats and bench, it will ruin his joints.

but i guess the rippletits meme is still alive around these parts.

Use tallow/beef dripping instead. If you can't find a store that sells it you can render your own.

Agreed. I have gained 10+ kg of muscle (not including fat) over a few years with no protein powders. Red meat is king.

Good thread OP. I have been lifting for a few years but am not as strong as you. I have recently given up my gym membership to save money and time (too far to travel) and am going to focus on bodyweight and hiit until I can afford my own weight set.

I want to be prepared for the coming race war so I want to train like a soldier. Is there anything more to incorporate?

A knife is as lethal as a gun within 21 feet.

Literally no reason to practice some 2000 year old Asian hand-to-hand choreography they used when their spear's broke.

The guide itself is adapted from what I have had actual soldiers do. Without weights, just keep running and doing bodyweight exercises. Focus on different distances, but keep in mind that shorter sprints are typically more useful. The weightlifting is important mostly for the fact that a stronger muscle is less likely to get injured, so aim to get back to it as soon as possible.

Thanks. Do you know the differences between how the rangers and the marines train?

I am not sure, but I would expect that being stronger, faster, more agile, and having more endurance would be of great benefit to any serviceman.

Martial arts for physical (and mental) discipline and sport is still valuable, it is more than a hobby to me than anything though and I would rely on my CC for any real life combat situation though so you have a point.

That won't solve HALF of the scenarios I cited. Good luck pulling out a knife while getting punched and grappled. Good luck going to jail for stabbing an unarmed Tyrone.

Knives also won't do shit against groups.

You guys have the dindus, we have the mudslimes. And over here.. they ban butter knives. Yeap.

They recently arrested and fined a girl who used pepper spray to fend off a mudslime ficki ficki - so martial arts are a must in Europe.

I agree with you on everything until this point.

I'm afraid that unless you're HIGHLY trained in martial arts, and depending on group size, martial arts won't save you from a savage beating if there's a group.

I remember when I went to my first martial arts class and we were told flat out - "avoid fighting at ANY costs. run if you have to. fighting is a last resort"

Which martial art did you train? I did 7 years of Taekwondo then moved on to Aikido (4 years so far) and MMA (11 months). I've fought groups of (unarmed) people two times in my life and in both situations they ended up running away (first time I actually chased down one of them and held him until police came).

It's all about those first 10-15 seconds. If you can get the upper hand in that time they will assume you're some badass-ninja guy and back off.

Help me lad. I can't do OHP without leaning backwards

>>>/fit/