Little Caesar

Tonight I'm watching "Little Caesar" from 1931.

Ergo, Gangster movie thread.

1951 The Thing from Another World is better than The Thing 1982

I'm dubious about that. I just got done reading about the Motion Picture Production Code, so its kinda coloring my perspective of everything made in the US from '34 to '68.

Does Rififi count?

So Rico seems to be rising within his gang by strong-arming his friends and giving his boss huge amounts of lip.

It seems to be that failing to make ANY friends defeats the purpose of being in a gang.

depends on if you draw a distinction between gangster and heist movies (from what I'm reading).

Scarface 1932

The thieves are gangsters, unlike Ocean's, which are just thieves.

I mean yeah, there's an argument to be made that it can be both, but you could also draw the distinction that a Heist movie focuses on a single job while a gangster movie follows the career of a protagonist (Like Godfather, Goodfellows, and Little Caesar)

True enough, user.

Why do we act like remakes are a recent phenomenon anyway? Or are the two scarface moves unrelated?

Just a reminder any gangster film after the 50's is literally Reddit: The Movie. Continue the discussion about 1930's films.

Seems like it would kinda be a guilty pleasure for them which they would ultimately be shamed out of.
Can't be glorifying that white patriarchy, after all.

Alright, so the getaway driver is in a panic, and his mother is reminiscing about when he was a choir boy and name-drops the priest. I think he might have mumbled the priest's name when she did.

Prediction: This will lead to a next scene where he takes confession and the priest tells him to turn himself in, then a LATER scene where he screws over the gang.

Why?

I don't even know what you're talking about. "Thing that came out before reddit was even a concept is reddit". This meme's going to far, my man. We need to pull back. We need to pull out.

Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, and Fargo all gangster dark comedies have influenced Reddit and Reddit culture with nihilist humor downplaying violence and humans for humor, it is the most Reddit you can get.

By the time Thompson perfected the tommy-gun, WWI was over and the weapon contracts had dried up. So he marketed the gun to police agencies with some success, but his company was still going bankrupt.

It was either dirty cops or the desperate flailing company that sold them to criminals.

Okay, this plot thread got resolved faster than I thought.

Your timeframe of "everything after the 50s" includes some other Gangster movies.

They slip my mind though. I'm sure they weren't anything too big.

Most people only know about things that came out during their lifetime, with a small few knowing about stuff that came out the decade before their birth. Comic book movies were around for ages, too. Pretty much all of Hollywood is recycled stories*, pretty much right from the first feature film The Squaw Man which was adapted from a play. Basically, people are plebs.

*Basic plots like the heroes journey or rise and fall aren't included, they're ways to tell a story, not an actual story in and of itself.

That is a fantastic line.

Fuuuuuuuck, can't unsee.

Wikipedia thinks anything with two men having a conversation is gay subtext because they're all faggots.

The meme's gone too far. You don't know what you're doing generalizing like this.

"humans for humor is the most reddit you can get" is quite possibly the dumbest sentence I've ever read.I, too, prefer it when they use talking dogs and fish instead of humans for humor.

Look, I'd give Appollo Creed and Rocky splashing in the waves a pass, but the dude in that picture jumped into Rico's bed and literally never stops fawning over him.

notgaynotgaynotgaynotgaynotgaynotgaynotgaynotgay

Two straight dudes sharing a space was common until pretty recently.

Oh wow, I just realized that some 90s era Sonic the Hedgehog comic made a reference to Little Caesar. (I have a tendency to remember jokes that I didn't get)

I have no idea the context except that it was Dr. Robotnik getting beaten, and he goes, "Is this the end for Rico-er-Robo?"

I thought I didn't get it cuz it was a Judge Dredd reference or something.

So question: Did Edward G. Robinson play other gangsters in other movies, or is this single role in Little Caesar the source of the steriotypical gangster that's still around 87 years later?

i.e., a short, fat guy with a squished face and big lips going "MYEH SEE, MYEH!"

Actually it's because there's a massive difference between remaking something 50+years later than 5-10 years later you stupid cucks, there hasn't been enough of a change to the industry or film making process to warrant a remake in that span of time.

Yeah… but I'd never heard of old Scarface BECAUSE of new Scarface…

And actually, now that I've posted that, I'm not sure what point I'm trying to make.