Gwenpool #8 Storytime

I think most of us are in agreement that this and Spiderman: Renew Your Vows are the only things Marvel put out this week that are worth reading, right?

Anyone who disagrees is free to dump any other Marvel titles they think were worth reading this week after this one is through. In the meantime, enjoy, anons.

Other urls found in this thread:

readcomiconline.to/Comic/Rocket-Raccoon-Groot/Issue-8?id=85894
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I'm sure that there is no way this plan could possibly go wrong.

…Except for that way.

>There is no Vinnie, only DOOM.

Wait, what? they are actually using Doom for something interesting?

I thought they wanted to get rid of everything related to the Fantastic Four.

The worst thing about this comic is that it shows there are some actual good writers in Marvel, just overshadowed by cunts. I just hope Trump make Marvel great again.

Doom is the new Iron Man, for some ridiculous reason related to Ike Perlmutter's retarded business decisions. The speculation I've seen is that this is either a rogue Doombot, or Victor von Doom from the Ultimate universe.

Hastings is a low-level work-for-hire freelancer, from what I've been able to find. The fact that he's writing more entertaining stories than the guys who have exclusive contracts and get big pushes from Marvel editorial is a really big sign of just how far Marvel has fallen.

It's a Doombot, and if it isn't Gwen will still act like it is, because she is too low the totempole to be dealing with the real Doom and knows it.

Seriously though, Gwenpool is like when people talk about the potential of some of the idead that are in Hellcat and Champions and that trash and actually get what they want, so far anyway.

They are abusing too much Doombots.

If they just want to have a Doom clone for the regular marvel universe then why not make a defective one with an unique look, then give him an unique name?

Trump? That would require a promising indirect turn of events in the economy or whatever to persuade Marvel to do a 360° back to their original quality. I'd say that's a good 50/50. They really must put the diversity shenanigans aside and put noticeably good writers on the promotional forefront, as well as make properly thought-out business decisions that don't fucking horribly derail any good stories or sodomize the lore into pieces.

Also, they really need to stop bringing Bendis all the time. He's good with street-level heroes, but boy is he such an oblivious fucking moron when you make him write significant events. Hell, Jim Shooter did a far better job writing than that reckless naive.

They should really broaden their market to more than just brick & mortar comic shops to attract new and old readers, instead of just catering to Tumblrites or "muh diversity" whingers from Twitter. Those lot aren't really the central customers. At. all. They need to do a better job at promoting their products instead of wasting their time shilling their efforts to Disney. Want your comics to sell again, Marvel? Just extend to retail shops and maybe put a few promotional displays for them here and there, sell comics around the prices of 10$-20$ tops. Maybe go the extra mile and air some fun promo commercials.

Of course, Mickey Mouse and his insatiable contemporary desire for gimmicky corporate anal sex loves to intervene, so it might be a little bit difficult to make that promise.

Yeah, Perlmutter was the apathetic idiot that warped the X-Men IP into a tangled mess it is today, because Fox as always gets their greedy hands on everything when you allow them (inb4 thread invasion of alt-right down syndrome and whatnot). They really should settle a more stressed court battle on those knuckleheads at 20th Century to get those characters back. That, and hire editors that legitimately have good savvy on comics, instead of random journalists and minorities they just selectively pick out of the proverbial streets for no logical reason. Fox is murdering the entire franchise, and they have to be legally intervened for fucking up the universe.

Terrible Eye a cute
and not for lewd

But what if she's lewding with Gwen?

SHE'S A SKRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLL

Well, at least Gurihiru is drawing it again.

Is Earth still at war with the Skrulls?

The point of a DOOMbot is to get the threat associated with DOOM without looking bad for having him job like a bitch. If they made a unique one, it would have character history and need to be considered a part of the power tier ranking system, so you couldn't mess around like you could with a regular DOOMbot.

I want to lewd a Terrible Eye

No and yes. The Skrull empire was decimated into smaller enclaves after Secret Invasion. They got joined together again by the Super Skrull, and now he's their king.

There was MechaDoom.

Maybe it's Vincent's color scheme (which would indicate excellent art direction), but as soon as that second page happened my first theory was Doombot.

Is that cover referencing a famous scene? It seems conspicuously different from Gwenpool's normal fare.

Ultimate Doom looks like a goat, though.

Approved. Gwen should have dialogue about using rule34 to cement their popularity.

Gwen is too cute. Every time she's out of costume she becomes the most adorable Marvel character.

Already been done.

It's a sign of how the entire industry has fallen. Exclusive contracts are destroying the freelancer pool the industry needs to keep themselves alive and vibrant.

There are literally cops right around the corner there. They heard the gunshots. Do you think they're gonna come around and save Gwen from doom? If it's a doombot, they might try to have Cecil "ghost hack" it, only to find out that Doom, unlike MODOK, actually has ghost intrusion countermeasures. So Cecil is 'hurt', Doom is unharmed, but when the cops show up and start shooting at him, he let's Gwen go because maybe he's unwilling to hurt the cops?

This why I'm saying skim the top tier of the webcomics, fanfic and deviantartists.

The industry is reading like bad fanfic anyway, the art is like bad deviantart, so why not upgrade it to GOOD fanfic and GOOD deviantart?

DOOM!

Nah, Gwen points out that he's nor A Normal Person at all, and he short-circuits.

Am I the only one that doesn't like the dialogue for this series? It feels… babyish.

Both of these are crazy enough to work.

Well, the thing is that everyone is using Doom yet noone can't do anything new with him because it means giving Fox more ideas for their movies.

Beautiful user just beautiful.

Terrible Eye was pretty cool this issue

I'm REALLY hoping it's pic related.

Hey if he's a robot or whatever just below the skin, why do we see the inside of his mouth on the first picture? I mean, there's literally no mouth there in the 3rd picture, so why can you see inside it on the first one?

BECAUSE DOOM!

DO NOT QUESTION THE BRILLIANCE AND INGENUITY OF DOOM

Why can't I question it? Isn't inquiry the mother of science? Why is doom anti-science?

Uhh…umm, h-holograms? Yeah, yeah! That's it: Holograms.

Sure, but those three lines on her chin makes it look like she's got a beard.

Yeah, I'm trying not to see it.

Just look at it like she's a skrull

Skrulls can be pretty hot. Just ask Johnny Storm

Nope. Written by a freelancer.

So what kind of underwear do you think Gwen wears? Panties with marvel properties printed on them?

Didn't you post that before? To answer your question, yeah I guess. We need a drawfag to draw her in Marvel panties.

Given the rest of her wardrobe choices, I'd guess something pink.

So probably pink panties with red lace and little hearts printed all over? Or what if she just goes commando?

If she wears tight pants, she probably has to go commando.

Either that or pic-related.

Well, she didn't appear to be wearing a bra under her costume during her cameo in the Rocket Raccoon & Groot CWII tie-in. Given that, I'd say it's a definite possibility.

I'm liking her more and more by the second.

Yeah, they've run out of good full-time studio writers. Thank Tom "sensationalism is quality storytelling you guys!" Brevoort, and Brian 'jew hack" Bendis. user was probably talking about the freelance writers.

Beaner/sjw accusation alarm in
3…
2…
1…

It's just a reaction pic. It's fine.

The main problem is that she's going to be utter cancer whenever she's being written by anyone other than Hastings.

The only good thing about that issue was the joke about Bendis.

I know Ill regret it, but can you storytime the rest?

I thought that issue was already storytimed?

You guys ever heard of the term flanderization? Cause that's what four-wall jokes are for deadpool.

Yeah that's very very true. Once the original writer stops, then Marvel will throw her at whatever cuck with an art degree comes knockin. Then she'll definitely suck. They'll probably try turning her into a serious character too. Just to drive home their shitty narrative better.

But weren't there serious moments in the comic that hinted that something bad happened on her home earth so she didn't want to be remembered there anymore?

Even if that's the case, it's clear this isn't meant to be a super deep serious comic. Hell it barely does anything with Gwenpool being from a world more like ours. Having the knowledge and know how of comics. She should be breaking the fourth wall and practically the universe itself. Instead she just meekly let's the knowledge slip out sometimes. Never doing anything with it.

It was three issues, and I storytimed them all. It's a comedy series written by Chip Zdarsky, a man who only has a tenuous grasp of how comedy works. Like asking a man bereft of sight to paint or a man who's lost his hearing to compose music, Chip's books read like they were written by a man who's completely missing a sense of humor.

The user who asked for the storytime can read it for himself here:
readcomiconline.to/Comic/Rocket-Raccoon-Groot/Issue-8?id=85894

From what I've read in interviews, that's because Marvel told Hastings to make a Gwen Stacy Deadpool character after some big Gwen Stacy-themed variant covers month, and the pitch he came back with was 'she's female Deadpool, just with an entirely different reason for acting like a crazy person and breaking the fourth wall, and with contractual immortality instead of regeneration.'

Hastings is a decent enough writer that he realized that breaking the fourth wall gets old fast on his own while writing her first appearance in a Howard the Duck backup story, and that same general level of competence is what's raising Gwenpool up to be notable compared to most other current Marvel titles.

I feel violated

That's another problem. Has she even killed anyone yet? She most certainly hasn't even met Deadpool yet. There's like no point to her being called Gwenpool if she's not even remotely like Deadpool. I was aware she was made based off a shitty cover. But there's so much potential they could've done for her that is wasted or never comes up. So far she's just been cute girl in whacky situations. Never a fun random murder spree like Wade would have.

It was spoilered for a reason.

She's killed a few regular people, but it has mostly been robots, monsters and aliens. That said, I think she's mostly based on modern Deadpool, who doesn't really do random murder sprees anymore.

Maybe but Deadpool still brutalizes and kills people when he gets the chance. Not just robots or aliens.

So basically, the version of Deadpool that's not funny, and make it less funny with a pointless genderswap.

Almost like Marvel has no confidence in making original female characters anymore, and banks everything on a genderswap nowadays,

from what i can tell (by not actually reading the comic) the only way she's actually like deadpool is the fact she knows that she's in a comic book.

and her outfit i guess

Why do people here like this shit, again? It's got the makings of everything that Holla Forums should hate.

Because Holla Forums is tumblr.

Other than the quirky factor of calling her "Gwenpool" there's not a lot of reason for this character to exist

I'm not going to pretend that the premise isn't without it's fun.. But having her run around on her own and get into depressing adventures where she ends up working with bad guys because of blackmail and getting people killed because she's incompetent isn't as fun..

Now, if she were just a normal girl who was pulled into wacky adventures with Deadpool? That might be more interesting. As it stands right now, we just have an okay-ish comic with great art.

Yes. My thoughts exactly. Well not exactly but you hit the nail on the head. Just wasted potential on a dumb idea that could've been fun had they actually tried. Now when will the artist start working on something good so I can appreciate them better?

And most of the rest of modern Marvel's output is subpar story with subpar-to-shit art. Like someone close to the start of the thread said, the fact that this is one of the best titles Marvel is putting out right now is a sign of just how far Marvel has fallen.

Because everything else by Marvel is so bad that this is what's considered good. Well that and Renew Your vows.

Gwenpool is written by a good writer as opposed to a once great one who fell off a long time ago and Kate Leth.

Can you blame Zdarsky for not being funny? He's Canadian and not a Canadian of the generation that gave us Dan Aykroyd, Dave Thomas, Rick Moranis or the Kids in the Hall. He's a Canadian of the generation that gave us Justin Trudeau.

Just reread this and decided to do a basic search of "Vincent Dr. Doom" and this is the first thing I got. Though it's also likely that the name Vincent is used because modern Dr. Doom's appearance is based on the actor Vincent Cassel, which was why I was looking up to begin with (as I had forgotten his last name). So, this works on a few potentially interesting levels.

when the fuck has this ever happened outside of Daniel Way

fuck off casual

decent story
great art
not dependent on tie ins
no SJW shit
self contained

more and more I get the feeling you're a massive casual who doesn't read Deadpool

He does it all the time in Duggan's run