Slivovic thread

⌘-F no Slivovic thread

Post and discuss your favorite Slivovic (plum brandy).

So I helped my parents clean out the attic and found this bad boy. Czechoslovakian Jelinek from 1986. Aged 5 years so it was bottled in 1981. 36 years old. Not bad, not bad at all. I wonder if it's still good or if it developed some off flavors. I'm sure this thing was there for at least 20 years and it gets quite hot up there in the summer. I'd like to open it but I think I'll wait for a special occasion. Also the bottle and label are just beautiful. I really like the stag on the inside.

Here some Croatian Slivovic. This is my goto Slivovic atm. Soft flavor with a hint of oak. And with 40% not too strong. Perfect before and after dinner or whenever I'm thirsty.

German Slivovic from the black forest area. Flavors aren't as well rounded as the Badel but this one is very smooth. GF likes this one.

nice booze
i discovered it in eastern slovakia at a railway station imbiss, 8am.
also drank a shot or two of homemade as parting gifts; the most memorable at a cottage up on the ukranian border where we went to buy horseradish and fish the river for trout
truly a noble spirit

Excellent. For me Slivovic is a great outdoor drink. I always have at least a small bottle with me when hiking.

Probably my favorite is the Bulgarian Trojanska Slivova. Too bad those greedy bastids drink everything themselves and it's quite difficult to procure outside of Bulgaria.

faggot detected

stay mad poorfag winnigger

but I'm on linux you cockgobbler

Likely running an OSX theme.

Ubuntu doesn't count as linux

I'd like to taste this plum brandy, also need to try kirschwasser

Calvados is tasty stuff. There are also some really nice cocktail recipes with Calvados. Personally I think liquor made from fruit is superior to liquor made from grain.

I have an uncle who is a big fan of kirschwasser. I recommend Scheibel from black forest or etter kirsch from Switzerland. Schladerer is good too.

I have some slivovitz from local orchard. Nice stuff.

Any pics?

this one has a nice bottle

Brandy doesn't age in the bottle.

Not completly true. There is oxidization through headspace, heat or light which can be called ageing. In the case of spirits it's not good ageing tho. Oxidation changes flavor: Acetaldehyde from oxidation reaction can be good in small quantities – adds fruity aromas; but in larger quantities it transforms in acetic acid (vinegar). Gin loses citrus flavor and gains "moth balls" flavor. Whisky loses its creamy fatty acids, gains fruity but then rancid and nail polish remover flavors. Rum gains vinegar aromas.

Acchuallllly….
Vinegar is a result of bacteria, not oxidization. But since the bacteria is airborne it's pretty much a moot point.

Bacterial fermentation is one way to make vinegar. However the vast majority of acetic acid is made synthetically by the carbonylation of methanol.

Yes, but that's not going to accidentally happen in the bottle.

But in the bottle acetaldehyde oxidation - another way to create acetic acid synthetically - happens to a small degree.

Magical plum harvest