AMD Ryzen 7: Great for video editors, not so great for gamers

pcgamer.com/the-amd-ryzen-7-review

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V5RP1CPpFVE
phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-1800x-linux&num=5
software.intel.com/en-us/articles/optimization-notice/#opt-en
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

As always, key thing here is UTILIZATION, how different engines use it,
Newer ones (or/and the ones that have it better) will benefit, while older games(or badly optimized ones) that are 1 to 4 core bound(depends) will drag
Since it relies on high amount, 2xthread per Core (6cores and 12threads, 8cores and 16threads, etc)

Price/perf ratio is incredible once they go down after 3-6 months.
Also sticking to lower model and OCing (something that works properly only on overpriced K intel processors) is way to go.
R5 (6core, 12threads) should be the ideal compromise since it still has more threads than i5`s or even most cheaper i7s

It sounds like AMD needs to work on their SMT implementation. This could be fixed with a driver update, make sure the OS schedules a heavy workload on a physical core before using a logical thread.

It is a brand new architecture and it may take some time for the software to catch up, in terms of drivers and firmware.

I'd write a similar review if Intel mailed me letter begging me to shit all over Ryzen (and most likely a bag of cash), like we know they did as several reviewers acknowledged.

Atrocious.

was surprised at how much GAMING!!! was in the ryzen news

Well duh. Most game studios are partnered with Intel in some way, so it's likely they use the Intel compiler for their game, which has been historically known to produce binaries which fucks over the performance for anything that is not an Intel(R) brand processor.

Hell a lot of the studios doesn't even partner with Intel but use their compiler anyways because it's INDUSTRY STANDARD.

Will this make them any money from creators/servers side or are they now doomed because ryzens suck at gaming?

Looks like Ryzen is not a good value with 8c/16t when we run some DX11 games at 1080p. You should just get Intel quad core instead it's faster in some games.

AMD really didn't reach single thread performance of Kaby Lake in all benchmarks, which is really disappointing. It's what we were expecting.

I know Ryzen can get close to 6950x when overclocked in best cases, but really it's not great for gamers who are looking to play video games. And really, the market of PC gamers who spend $300+ on graphics and $320+ on a CPU while gaming on a 1080p 60hz TN panel they bought for under $200 is a huge demographic. It seems like AMD forgot about the majority of intelligent PC gamers gaming on cheap 1080p monitors and expensive Nvidia graphics cards. A total blunder, really.

It's too bad, I wanted this to play games and only games. I realize in multi-thread its' close to $999 6900k performance and you can get Ryzen for $320, but really the fact that you lose 15% performance in gaming just isn't worth it. I rather gain 15% performance in gaming and get half the cores, really. The math just checks out to me.

Signed,
- Every Tech Reviewer 2017
[Click here to enter our latest competition]
[You can win one of many Intel(R) branded prizes]

I don't see why people are so surprised. The R5s were going to be the gaming choices. Honestly, 300+ for a fucking gaming CPU? Are you high?

>>>/auschwitz/

That is over 10 years old and was resolved by the FTC's anti trust litigation. Stay butthurt AMD fanboi that your meme CPU was overhyped (as all AMD products are).

That would be Microsoft's compiler if you're talking about Windows binaries. How retarded are you?

No it wasn't. Current versions of the ICC still do it.

you mean >>>/gulag/ , don't you trotskyite?

It's not even disappointing in gaming. Video related has benchmarks of the 1700 vs the 7700K, using a GTX 1080. They perform almost identically at 1080p ultra settings.

youtube.com/watch?v=V5RP1CPpFVE

AMD probably has a lot of kinks to work out, but most of the worst press about Ryzen is most likely Intel sponsored FUD.

provide proofs

Do CPUs even matter that much in gaming? As long as you have a decent one it's all about having enough ram and a good graphics card.

It matters in emulating my SNES games, okay?

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE AMD DRONES

PCSX2? The program itself isn't the best with AMD chips if I can remember.

Who the fuck cares? Only in extremely rare cases are games in any way limited by the CPU, neither is this Holla Forums

In many ways it feels like it's bulldozer all over again. AMD's strategy is still MOAR COARS and while their IPC has greatly improved with zen and the efficiency of their individual cores is now on par with Intel we're seeing more or less identical results in performance comparisons between the brands now as we did last time — while AMD are breathing down Intel's neck at a lower pricepoint in heavily multithreaded applications they can't compete in single thread performance, certainly not at this fucking pricepoint.

I'm a photographer and also CAD professional so single thread performance matters a whole fucking lot to me and seeing the absolutely abysmal oc headroom of what are supposed to be the flagships of the ryzen line has extinguished all of the enthusiasm I had for these new chips.

Tests carried out by multiple reviewers clearly show the architecture hits a solid wall at 4.1ghz, if I'm ditching my 5ghz sandy bridge for anything at all in today's market then a 5ghz kaby lake is the only thing that might entice me.

At least there's the server market, right?

You're a literal retard if you do this. Even a pentium today is more than adequate if you just couple it with a decent GPU.

PCSX2 is a shitpile of glued-together x86 assembler and per-game hacks. Are you really surprised it's only tweaked to run well on the author's cathode-stuffed jewtel xtreme gaymurr PC? There's a 64-bit port in progress, but that work's being done by Debian people because nobody else has the pain tolerance to even approach the tire fire.

For comparison, see Dolphin. Modern console emulators don't have to be trash, this one just is.

wow

Holy fuck this, this is Holla Forums not Holla Forums or /neet/.

Is anyone sick of how most benchmarks seem to be oriented towards the average CSGO faggot who sucks dick and doesn't do anything but video games and jewtube on Windows?

Ryzen is not just for video editors. It's hands down the best CPU for compiling Gentoo.

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ryzen-1800x-linux&num=5

If you're a programmer and want the best compile times per dollar, Ryzen 1800X is le creme de la creme.

Way to give yourself away

It's still a niche product, at least these higher binned chips.
For those that do a lot of highly parallelized work it's obviously great since it brings dramatic improvements to performance and efficiency over bulldozer and the single thread performance isn't that bad but the broad masses that do nothing but play vidya? I don't see those faggots bite, not at this price point. The 4/6 core cpu's on the other hand are likely to stir things up.

pardon?

Can't wait to pwn the n00bs at the next lan party

Gonna get all the pussy with how fast I'll be compiling shit left and right

This is what Intel fanboys really think, though.

software.intel.com/en-us/articles/optimization-notice/#opt-en
The lawsuit just forced them to admit it, not remove it. Notice how the thing is not in text, but in an image to avoid jewgle detection.

You do realize that's actually the majority of people, right?

I think there's an argument to be made here that it's inappropriate to review superficially similar products that are aimed at entirely different markets — or if nothing else are so vastly different in their capabilities and pricing schemes that it becomes inappropriate to speak of them in the same context.

When it comes to CPU's obviously you won't find the same kind of market segmentation as you will in say for example cameras where there's a clear divide between cameras being tested with iso 12233 charts and those being compared on the merits of their hipster filters but you'd think that a product which is so clearly advantageous to a specific set of professionals more reviewers would gear their tests towards such audiences.

Fucking no one in their right mind would recommend an LGA-2011 chip for gayming yet all reviews for them include a whole slew of entirely irrelevant gaming benchmarks.

but those people don't need high end CPUs in the first place

He's allowed to do that one since he's writing for PC Gamer.

Disregard pic 1 I suck cocks

With the Ryzen CPUs neither will be an issue and yes professionals should care mostly about threaded applications because most of the professional prosumer applications benefit wildly from more threads and cache.

AMD fanboys are delusional af. Every demo was with what we now know was the 'top of the line,' 1800X and there were several promotions pushed by AMD in the gaming realm. If the R5's were going to be them, why not just show productivity demos for the R7 line-up? AMD fans are grasping at straws because things are looking like Bulldozer all over again

The BIOSes are more or less broken and causing a lot of performance problems. There are rumors all the reviews will have to be redone with new BIOS versions, the motherboard manufacturers really fucked up this release.

Also you forget about price. Ryzen 8 core was cheaper than 4c/8t Intel by a good margin. The choice will end up being Core i3 or Ryzen quad, except it's going to be real cores and not the bastardized cores we saw with Bulldozer family.

You need to sit tight and wait for that stuff to be fixed. Review sites were rushing to get latest beta BIOS so they could get better performance. The motherboards are not ready yet, to be honest. But they're all sold out everywhere and on backorder so there's no point rushing to get one in the next few weeks.

oh nooooo

Ryzen will likely be the best workstation PC for businesses and developers. AMD will also continue to do well in price per frame for gaming builds. AMD APUs may end up being the best option for low profile HTPC builds and media players considering they improved their core performance to the level promised.. Those are some fairly large parts of the PC marketplace.

The hex and quad core ryzen CPUs will probably be clocked higher due to higher power / thermal headroom. Thus better single threaded performance, thus better for gaming. At the very least they will be more overclockable.

The server market is where the real money is and the 8 core zen opterons will do particularly well there.

I think I will wait to see what the 4c 8t ryzen can do before making a judgement.

Suck it down Intel cucks.

pick one, mongoloid

ftfy

The BIOSes are broken which is why all the multithreaded tests kickass as expected? sounds like a rope of sand

I'm all for AMD, but not waiting for AVX512 is like not waiting for HBM2.

A completely sensible decision?

The PC market does not include tablets or mobile phones. It does include laptops. You should understand that AMD does make APUs for laptops, and the current generation was a viable option compared to Intel offerings. With a zen core, it could be expected that these processors would show similar improvements. This would make them competitive. AMD is likely to make gains in the areas I listed, and Intel will lose ground. Since the PC market is not growing, this could mean losses for Intel.

epic circle